The Guide To Emulation Thread

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
*This thread is for teaching people how to use emulation software on a computer. No link are allowed to be posted here. This is only for instructional purposes.

*Emulation is not legally approved. So unless you already own the machine and games you want emulated, I suggest you don't do it.

Emulators are programs which reproduce a videogame console or handheld using your computer. They use many files to work. Its most important is the "ROM" file. This is like a game cartridge. Place it in the correct folder and open it up with the correct emulation program. CD based consoles and handhelds such as the Playstation and PSP use "ISO" as game files. They are images of the disc, burnt to the computer. I don't recommend looking for them. Instead, find a good cd burning program and burn the image from YOUR COPY of the game. Some work with a "BIOS". A memory, similar to the one your computer uses. This, just like the emulator itself, is not legally approved unless you own its respective machine. NEVER post a link to download a BIOS of any kind. That IS illegal. So don't do it.

Finding an emulator program is simple and near obvious, so I won't tell you how to find them.

I will begin to cover the "how to" on certain emulators as I look into them. My next post will be about the SNES9X.

This should be a good thread and a very helpful one if you get it going to the standard that one would expect a tutorial to be held at. Emulation is very controversial though and this forum really restrains what is possible in this tutorial. You cannot give out links and you cannot promote stealing etc. So people will have to do a lot on their own initiative to make this thread work. However, I think that this could still work and people would be very thankful of your help in setting this up. I know from experience that Emulation is far from simple when trying to set up and any help to people would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck with this.

SNES9X

We learn how to work with the SNES9x emulator. It emulates games for the Super Nintendo/Super Famicom.

Your first step is to find, download and unzip. Place the program and its ROM's (games) in a convenient and easy to remember location.

To start using it, double click it.
51r504.jpg

After double clicking, the program will open up. Maximize it if you wish.
2ltq93n.jpg
After opening it, head for "Open" and click "Load Game". A window will pop up for you to look for your ROM of choice.
izrcq8.jpg
The game should start.
xm3a6f.jpg
Adjust your controls by heading to "Input" and then "Joypad Configuration". Adjust them to your heart's content.
2wmgbqs.jpg
To adjust the way your emulator and game look, head for "Options" and then "Display Configuration" and adjust until you see your desired results.

1z6s0uq.jpg

Most games for this console use passwords rather than save files. If at any point, you wish to stop playing but don't want to lose your current progress, hit "Open" and then "Save Game Position". Select a slot. To verify, head for "Load Save Position" and click on the slot you saved. It should load the position where you saved.

Those are the basics on how to work a SNES9x. If you have any quetsions, PM me and I will answer soon enough.

VISUALBOY ADVANCE

The all time greatest hand held gets emulated with this program. It emulates games for the big ,fat and overweight GameBoy (Or slimmer Pocket model), the compacted and colored GameBoy Color and of course the GameBoy Advance (Original,SP and Micro) itself. This one works similarly to the SNES9x. Find, download, unzip, double click.

24vpv7l.jpg
Hit "File" and then hit "Open".
xel994.jpg
Select your game and it starts.

"Options", "Configure", "Joypad" and "1" is the direction you take to modify the control scheme.
ivzp5l.jpg

Remember using the GameShark to fool around with your copies of Pokemon? That was fun like hell. Lets recreate it. Head for "Cheats" and click on "Cheat List". The window shown below will appear. Select "GameShark" or "CodeBreaker"depending on who provides the codes. Remember to name them and active them as desired. After punching in your codes, save them by hitting "Save Cheat List". To load... well hit "Load Cheat List" and search for where you saved it.
apbjh5.jpg

Well, those are the basics to this emulator. I will see you next time, as I explain the inner workings of the Project 64 emulator. Remember, PM me if you have questions.

Quote The KillJoy: Enjoy It, Or Screw You! :p

Project 64

The Nintendo 64 was a revolutionary console. 3D games, Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time, WWF: No Mercy and an array of historic games. Im sure you wanna be able to re-live this
fantastic console. Well lets bask in the nostagia.
2luqn1z.jpg
^ Thats how the icon looks. Double click and the window will open. After it opens, you may wanna pick a game. I don't know, I ain't a mind reader. Head for "File" and then "Open ROM". A window will pop out. Look for your game of choice. I recommend you keep them always organized and in a safe location.
20h6bn4.jpg
If the ROM file works, the game will load no problem. The screen won't maximize. Instead head for "Options" and hit "Full Screen". Alternatively, just hit "ALT" and "ENTER" simultaniously and you get the same result. Next, you may want to set the controls in your favor. In "Options" select "Configure Controller Input" and this shows up:
2urxzpx.jpg
You should designate the controls for all 4 controllers as some conflicts in the
keys may occur. This can lead to inresponsive controls. If you have a controller
plugged, select it. You can save the control schemes incase you need to change them
to favor a different game. Afterwards, hit "OK" or else all your work goes to hell.
2mx3br8.jpg
If you still have your doubts, PM me and I'll help. Or head to the "Help" menu.
2a4qzq9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back