The Good and Bad of the TNA Roster

BigBombB

Pre-Show Stalwart
Abyss

Good: He is THE big guy in TNA, he has been around for nearly the entire history of the organization and is willing to put his body on the line for the good of the product

Bad: He was better off as Joseph Parks, the reinvention of Abyss has done nothing to restore what has been a horribly damaged character, and the Mankind/Kane ripoff association has never been overcome

Austin Aries

Good: Consistent top level worker, can cut a solid promo, has been treated like he matters for a long time in TNA and is one of their most solidly engrained stars at this point

Bad: I can't think of a feud he had since his career defining one with Robert Roode that was anything other than filler, as much credibility as he has, it is hurt by the endless 'second banana' treatment, and no matter how much they want him to be, he is no CM Punk, his promo skills alone will not carry him

Bobby Roode

Good: The best thing going in TNA right now and, quite frankly, for a long time, he is another longterm TNA mainstay and one that has deservedly engrained himself in the main event, with the right opponent he could single handedly make TNA relevant again

Bad: A lack of people to work with that can keep making him a bigger deal, he may hold the record for longest reigning TNA champion but a lot of his wins during that period were tainted by bad booking (ex. Joker Sting...just, why?)

Bram

Good: A new face without the stink of being a WWE castoff as far as casual viewers are concerned, TNA seem to want to keep him relevant

Bad: I realize I'm supposed to take him seriously but he comes off like generic bearded guy #27 rather than some new, revolutionary character within the TNA world, he is already being lost in the shuffle even as he is churning out some good work

Bully Ray

Good: His reinvention has produced some of the best content on TNA television for years, he is a legit selfish jerk who is big enough to back it up and with a laundry list of credentials for why he deserves everything he has gotten, he is the best natural heel in the business and has never been better

Bad: He is not the guy to carry TNA as a good guy, that is his biggest weakness, as a good guy he is midcard quality at best which hurts the overall show, he is one of their best acts but is rarely used in a way that maximizes his worth

DJ Z

Good: When he was on the independents he was a big deal, his risk taking and zany style stood out from the crowd

Bad: Since coming to TNA he has potentially been the absolute worst void of personality on the roster and I say this because he actually stands out and still can't get people behind him, I get it when the generic looking guys get nothing, but when you were the best guy in the X-Division for a while and people still didn't care, that is a tough problem

Eric Young

Good: He is a 'solid hand', now that he is a former World Champion he has inherent credibility when putting over other guys, and he has an appeal that goes beyond wrestling

Bad: We all know how badly he has been booked for most of his career, a brief jump to the top can distract from that but will never fully overcome it, he is a great worker who was dealt bad cards from the get go

Ethan Carter III

Good: Currently the top heel in TNA, has a good mind for the business at a young age, he understands how to work a character and is improving every time he steps into the ring

Bad: There isn't a lot, he has overcome any stigma that may have come from his bad WWE run and is making the most of his opportunities, it is unfortunate that he is running into the same problem Bully Ray had as a heel, there isn't a face big enough on the roster to make an impact on a larger scale

Gunner

Good: He worked with James Storm, right?

Bad: He can be on my television screen as I'm watching the show and I still forget he is on the roster, despite his in-ring intensity there is absolutely nothing else that makes him stand out which is a shame because he definitely has untapped potential

James Storm

Good: Another good heel who makes a surprisingly good 'tweener face', another of the old guard in TNA that can make a lot out of a little

Bad: In a company desperately in need of a face, he is wasting away as the number two heel, the build to his face run was so good that he could have started to become a real commodity in the wrestling world but the storyline ended up dying out before it even got off the ground, Storm is the ultimate victim of other people's failures

Jeff Hardy

Good: Still one of the most marketable wrestlers in the world, when he cares he can be a legitimate main event player bigger than anyone else on the roster, and he is one of the few natural faces in the business

Bad: His weaknesses are obvious and easy to get around but TNA insists on making them apparent every week, while Hardy has been the subject of a few newsworthy events in his TNA tenure (including one that should have seen him banished from the roster), the complete lack of direction for his character has been obvious for his entire tenure

Kenny King

Good: He is above adequate in nearly every area

Bad: He doesn't stand out in any area

Bobby Lashley

Good: The look, the presence, even his wrestling ability has improved significantly since we last saw him, he is easily the best champion TNA has had in a while

Bad: Worst promo in the business, Brock Lesnar may not be eloquent but at least he is still scary when he talks, Lashley gets out one word and there may as well be a laugh track accompanying it, he is a great overall talent but is poison on the microphone

Low Ki

Good: He won the same season of NXT that Bray Wyatt was on, he was one of the best X-Division champions ever, he has been a part of some of the most impressive matches in the past ten years, he lives his gimmick and continues to thrive despite bad situations

Bad: TNA quietly redebuted him in a "oh hey, and this guy is back!" kind of way then wonder why the segment drew the lowest rating of the show (to be fair, he was facing DJ Z), if the company doesn't care enough to get behind one of their veteran talents, why should the viewers care?

Magnus

Good: When he was with Doug Williams he seemed like the future of TNA, he had the look, the swagger, and a natural suaveness that stood out from the rest of the roster

Bad: He still seems green despite being in TNA for a while now, his championship run was more forgettable than Eric Young's, and it seems tag team wrestling may be the best fit for him yet his singles push continues on

Manik

Good: Under the costume is a solid worker

Bad: Suicide went nowhere and Manik is his cheap knockoff, why are they so certain this gimmick is a good gimmick? It really, really isn't

Matt Hardy

Good: The other half of the top tag team of the last twenty years, he has made a name for himself on the independents and seems to have some new momentum because of it

Bad: As hard as he works, his physical limitations are visible and hinder his high impact style, he has never been a great mic worker so there aren't high hopes that he will manage a Bully Ray-esque career turn around

Mr. Anderson

Good: He is a recognizable face with a recognizable gimmick

Bad: The train went a long time ago and there is no attempt to change the course

MVP

Good: World wide credibility as a top midcard talent who never seemed to reach his full potential in the WWE

Bad: If this is the peak of his potential then perhaps the WWE was right not to push him any further, he is a very solid overall worker but lacks that "IT" factor when it comes to the delivery, perhaps he is merely another victim of TNA's "everyone is equally irrelevant" problem

Rhino

Good: For TNA World Champ, well known in the industry, is keeping in good shape and plays his character incredibly well

Bad: When he is intense he is a player, when he isn't intense he is a horribly watered down version of himself, Rhino has been the later for too long but, if he returns to the former, then he can be a good addition to the roster, just stop trying to give him more character, he is the kind of type casting that works

Samoa Joe

Good: The most marketable guy on the roster that was never marketed, ROH Legend, well respected veteran, and a rare genetic freak that has been responsible for some of the best television TNA has ever produced

Bad: Sadly that good television was long ago and while his spark seems to have returned, TNA are at such a loss for what to do with him that he continues to aimlessly wander rather than becoming the definitive face of the organization

Samuel Shaw

Good: This guy is so good that he has made some of the least bearable people on the roster seems relevant, his gimmick is far from PG and he is the perfect kind of guy to start building up in the background while other top heels have their day

Bad: He may need to sharpen up a bit more in the ring but, so long as he keeps playing his character, weaknesses can be covered up with performance

Sanada

Good: While TNA isn't exactly on the level WCW was, Sanada is clearly being made into the modern day Muta, right down to Muta being the one to put him over, so here is a guy destined to be a huge star in Japan that can offer some big match-ups while he remains in TNA

Bad: He is a short term player, certainly won't be cutting any major promos, and American companies are terrible at explaining to the audience why Japanese stars matter at all

Tigre Uno

Good: The former Extreme Tiger has always had a good look and it seems he has stepped up his in-ring abilities significantly

Bad: While he is marketable, TNA has a history of killing off masked gimmicks rather than exploiting them for all they're worth

TEAMS

The Menagerie

Good: At face value, this is a perfect collection of talent, harkening back to the early days of wrestling when it was nothing more than a sideshow at a carnival while giving a guy like Mike Knox a needed personality upgrade

Bad: They just...aren't really working. Knox is trying hard, Terry is still a beast, Rebel is hot, but Crazy Steve is a mess, a bad kind of mess, and he is the one that really needed to carry the in-ring load for this group. They stand out as unique but they don't stand out like they will ever be a credible threat in the main event and that is ultimately what hurts them the most.

The American Wolves

Good: ROH Legends, one of the few straight up tag teams in the world, and as a team they have made a good name for themselves prior to entering TNA

Bad: They just seem like a couple of guys you could meet in any bar across America, not an elite level tag team. The ROH style just does NOT make for compelling story telling, the most important part of being a great tag team. As it is, Richards and Edwards are two talented guys that no one gives a damn about because no one can get invested in them.

The Bro Mans

Good: It is disturbing that they are legitimately the best team in TNA, they work their gimmick, they can wrestle, they can cut promos, they are a complete package which is baffling considering...

Bad: Neither one of these guys matters at all yet somehow, as a team, through one of the rare times TNA was persistent in trying to get a team over, they are one of the most credible teams in the business. Robbie E, despite wallowing at the bottom of TNA forever, is actually a surprisingly talented guy. And who in the hell is Jessie Godderz? Oh, the guy from Big Brother? WHY ARE THESE TWO ONE OF THE TOP TEAMS IN WRESTLING TODAY? I am legitimately so lost and, yet, I can't deny that what they're doing works. It really, genuinely, works. And while it's good that they are a good team, it is bad for tag team wrestling as a whole that there are no teams outside of the Wyatts that really eclipse them.

----------------------------

So, in my opinion, if TNA wanted to maximize the quality of the roster they are working with RIGHT NOW, the top of their roster would look like this:

Top Faces:
01. Robert Roode (working hard, 'earned it', still fighting to be at the top, inspiring kind of gimmick)
02. Jeff Hardy (self explanatory)
03. Austin Aries (continue his solid upper midcard work with up-coming talent)
04. Eric Young (work that underdog gimmick for all it is worth)

Top Tweeners:
01. Samoa Joe (should be the top guy in the company, just being himself)
02. James Storm (he has that kind of Stone Cold demeanor that makes it tough for him to be a full on face and he is good enough to make it work)
03. MVP/Bobby Lashley (they are a good anchor point so long as they are only out for themselves)
04. Abyss (Joseph Parks is a face, Abyss is a heel, so much can be done with that)

Top Heels:
01. EC3 (he isn't ready for the belt yet but he is definitely ready to be given the ball as a main eventer)
02. Bully Ray (proven top heel, can work programs with the next top face that EC3 isn't working with)
03. Samuel Shaw (still a midcard staple but rising fast, give him a good angle with a guy higher up the card and better in the ring)
04. Magnus (being a former World Champ is relevant but he has a lot of development to be done still)

Low Ki, Sanada, and Tigre Uno make for a solid X-Division, maybe bring in one other top name, use the rest as jobbers.

The Knockout division is bolstered by Gail Kim, who managed to make a match with Taryn into big news in the wrestling world, and that they have their top drawing team in the Beautiful People back together.

Lashley can remain champ for a while but numerous other guys should be clearly elevated over top of him (note: NOT by him jobbing to them, by building their characters up) so that when he loses the belt there is a huge bolster to the entire product.

TNA had some great workers but you are right on some, there are issues. Look at Bram and Magnus - I have no issue with Bram because he is different even if generic but Magnus traded in a suit for a leather vest, that's all. No difference in look or anything. Then there is Gunner - a veteran so the crowd is supposed to cheer but no character development at all. To me, that is the bad for a lot of the guys there - they have no character until needed and then it is forced on us like with EY. I think that creates a problem when it comes to guys like Bobby Roode because how can you take a feud with him and wrestler x seriously when wrestler x hasn't been doing anything?

Thanks for doing this, I'm going to watch TNA Impact later for the first time in years and I was going to ask if someone could tell me who the stars were if how good the talent is etc.

After sampling Raw two weeks ago and finding it mediocre at best I'm hoping I enjoy TNA otherwise its classics only for me.

Gunner & Melendez could show some mutual respect as former military personnel, not necessarily a team but looking out for each other.

The Menagerie isn't really going anywhere. Crazzy Steve & The Freak are horrible to watch, Knux can put on decent matches but does TNA have any room for another monster type character?

The x-division is coming together but they all need some wins on the board, it's a bit clustered at the minute.

Either way TNA does have its strengths but then again they also have their weaknesses too as a roster but at the same time going forward for TNA who knows maybe all of that will change but isn't TNA still going under as a company? At least from my understanding anyway, well that is what I hear but I could be wrong

Gunner & Melendez could show some mutual respect as former military personnel, not necessarily a team but looking out for each other.

The Menagerie isn't really going anywhere. Crazzy Steve & The Freak are horrible to watch, Knux can put on decent matches but does TNA have any room for another monster type character?

The x-division is coming together but they all need some wins on the board, it's a bit clustered at the minute.
Honestly, I think if they treated him like a proper monster, Rob Terry could be a good main event player. He isn't ever going to be a technical marvel but he does deliver his offense well and has improved considerably since his days with Robbie E. Plus, he went from being in a stable with Great Muta in Japan to being in the biggest jobber stable of the distant second promotion in the
U.S., I wouldn't try very hard either!

Abyss

Good: Having been with TNA for around a decade he should have some name value by now and some sort of following
Bad: Still comes off like Mankind mixed with Kane, unimpressive physique and over-reliance on hardcore stunts

Austin Aries

Good: Wrestles like a angry bulldog, performs a unique throwback moveset, cuts entertaining promos and could lead a company
Bad: Not booked as strongly as he could, leaving untapped potential and missed moneymaking opportunities for a dying promotion

Bobby Roode

Good: TNA's best homegrown talent, with the look, ability and promo skills to build a brand
Bad: Booking mistakes and a shallow roster of challengers killed his credibility, he has outgrown TNA

Bram

Good: He has a beard.
Bad: He is a boring character invented to give Magnus something to do.

Bully Ray

Good: He is a strong heel who has a good mind for the business, and he can put on main event matches that are memorable
Bad: Shouldn't be the focus of any company, he should be a high level grunt who makes the star look better

DJ Z

Good: Relevant, current gimmick and flashy moves

Bad: Too naive of a performer to realize that he might be TOO annoying

Eric Young

Good: He seems to kiss ass very well and won't steal your girlfriend
Bad: He sucks, he's not a strong talent by any means. His wrestling is unimpressive and his persona is that of your loser friend from middle school biology. Waste of roster space.

Ethan Carter III

Good: Big muscles and wrestling ability, cocky attitude and really cartoony face
Bad: Young, needs seasoning in the ring. Could be great, or could stay bland.

Gunner

Good: He looks like a generic 90's WCW talent
Bad: He is as boring as a book about dirt

James Storm

Good: Should have some name value by now for TNA, probably has a fanbase across the US, former tag team standout
Bad: Somehow unable to navigate the backstage politics and be a top tier player. Storm should be a bigger deal in TNA because he is a good talent with few flaws.

Jeff Hardy

Good: Highly marketable, still amazing in the ring, charismatic, engrossing, and incredibly unique.
Bad: Irresponsible outside of wrestling, immature and often has bad ideas like Willow

Kenny King

Good: Bright young talent who can hopefully make a name for himself
Bad: Not seasoned enough in the ring to grab the crowd's attention, needs character work

Bobby Lashley

Good: High name value, awesome physique and ring presence, great wrestler
Bad: Weak talker, needs a manager. I liked his wife and her tight leather pants.

Low Ki

Good: Good wrestler, great voice, strong ring presence and charisma
Bad: Huge ego, overvalues himself and isn't quite the main eventer he wishes he was

Magnus

Good: Good physique, nice looking face
Bad: Midcard gatekeeper at best

Manik

Good: cool intellectual property that TNA owns, could use forever. Neat moveset
Bad: without good booking it's just a neat costume and nothing more

Matt Hardy

Good: Good mind for wrestling, great at ring psychology, memorable name with high value, established fanbase, flexible worker
Bad: immature like his brother, but that never hurt Hulk Hogan. Also Matt gets fat sometimes.

Mr. Anderson

Good: Funny on the mic, memorable face from WWE, has a lot of charisma
Bad: very mediocre wrestler who is getting older and never really went further than the midcard. His TNA title run was lackluster.

MVP

Good: Memorable talent with excellent mic skills, great wrestler, stands out
Bad: Lacks the intensity and charisma to be a main eventer

Rhino

Good: Great wrestler, has barely aged, strong following worldwide
Bad: Not booked like a big deal in TNA, seems disinterested in the main event?

Samoa Joe

Good: Possibly the best wrestler in the business, awesome ring work, great shoot promo skills, unique look, strong following, great body of work in TNA
Bad: TNA doesn't know what to do with him

Samuel Shaw

Good: Interesting gimmick, good look, feels like a big deal
Bad: Still room for improvement but not a whole lot about him looks bad

Sanada

Good: Great wrestler who is a joy to watch
Bad: Can't cut a promo, needs a manager

Tigre Uno

Good: Awesome wrestler, classic gimmick
Bad: Needs to be showcased, could also use a mouthpiece

TEAMS

The Menagerie

Good: Mike Knox is a good wrestler
Bad: Stupid stable idea. The group looks dumb and Crazzy Steve is the worst.

The American Wolves

Good: Strong tag team with 2 established wrestlers, growing fanbase, great ring work
Bad: They need smaller egos and bigger moves

The Bro Mans

Good: Funny gimmick, good solid wrestlers doing their job making others look good
Bad: They could be doing a more serious act but who cares

TNA's grand repackaging hasn't really been a success so far since bound for glory they lost the backbones of the roster with AJ styles and the bqd influence leaving. Bully leaving and Kurt Angle constantly trying to stick his foot in WWEs door. It is time now for the rest of the roster to stand up tall....the good...Bobby Roode. James Storm. Austin Aries. Sam Shaw. EC3 and Spud. The bad....Samoa Joe has been ruined with piss poor booking, which I see they are trying to remedy that but i fear it may be too late. Abyss has been wasted with turn after turn in short spaces of time. Mr Anderson is stale. The X division has been in a state for years and the same old knockouts are fighting for the same belt in the same feuds for ages....rehashing the dudleys and hardys is nice for novelty but the tag team division is in short supply of credible opponents with only the wolves and bro mans and bram and a Magnus that has fallen by the way wide. Why not put the Rottweilers back together and either do something with them ( heel turn? ) or get rid

I just want to highlight a few of the people who are probably overlooked and shouldn't be

Bram: Great character with lots of mileage. Established himself as a bigger monster than Abyss. You almost want him to lose because you know the turnbuckle iron is coming out from under the ring.

Lashley: That juggernaut of a wrestler that TNA was lacking. I'd like to see him grow some kind of hair to give him an edgier look.

Willow: I prefer Willow over Jeff Hardy but really wish he'd just change some of his spots.

EC3: WWE's biggest donation since Kurt Angle

Samuel Shaw: What a creepy bastard. We're talking original Goldust creepy.

Low Ki: Hope he sticks around. The name should speak for itself.

Gunner: The toughest SOB in TNA. Pick any gunner vs James Storm match for a MOTY contender

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back