The Global Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Global if you forgot the definition also means International. It's no different to the Intercontinental Championship.

International Wrestlers are supposed to hold the title but it's pretty obvious, Eric Young will change those rules eventually, so it's defended like a regular title.

TNA needed a mid-card title since Hernandez, Matt Morgan or Bobby Lashley can't chase a X-Division title. We all know everyone would be pissed off, so they gave us a secondary Championship which can be used as a World title if TNA creates a second show.

It makes sense to me. The Creative aren't great but they aren't ******ed as half of the fans who think they know everything.

For as much I rag on TNA, this is something that they needed to do, as the "Legends Title" was a stupid name for a championship, and it gives the impression that it's only reserved for legends. Eric Young is certainly not a "legend", and it would kill the credibility of the title as a result. I don't think "Global" is the best name for it, but it works as establishing it as a true midcard title, where anyone can conceivably hold it.

I think that they could distinguish the Global title pretty easily by insisting that an American beat an International contender to get a title shot. That would still keep it as a midcard title while giving it some international flavor.

Nope. I'm not defending Russo here on this one.

I do agree that the "Global Championship" sounds ridiculous.

But what more has me upset is the fact that a wrestler can simply come in, and change the name of the title on his own ..... and make the decision that it will no longer be defended against American opponents.

Logic is pretty ridiculous on this one.

At the same time, I am happy they got rid of the Legends Title. I thought that was a rather useless title, as I am simply not in favor of having Legends have their own championship, nor it being given to someone who defeats a Legend, who isn't a Legend himself. Just a bad title.

TNA does need a Midcard title. I'm simply not in favor of this "Global Title" necessarily being that title.

I agree that the "Legends Title" moniker needed to be dropped. When they first created that belt and Booker T held it, I originally believed it be more of a prop. But when they put it on other wrestlers (Christian, A.J. Styles), it lost its meaning. That belt needed a change to be considered legit, IMO.

The only problem I have is that with it being the "Global Championship," the name itself puts it on par with the TNA World Championship ("Global" and "World" being one in the same). So, I think as johnbragg said, it should be called the International Championship or something to a lesser degree, since it will be a mid-card title.

I also agree that EY coming out and stating that it will only be defended outside of the U.S. and only against non-U.S. wrestlers is good and bad. It's good because EY is building up that sweet anti-American heat that so many wrestlers have used in the past (Iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff, Sgt. Slaughter, Mohammed Hassan, et al). But, only defending the belt on non-U.S. soil is stupid. Everyone knows the Impact Zone is in Orlando, and that's where all of the Impact tapings are held. Plus, all of the PPV's are held in the U.S. So, they will have to find some way to change that stip on the belt if they want it to be legit. As for the non-American challengers, you again limit the title's value by doing that. I'm sure they'll drop both of those stips sometime down the line, but keep them for a while to keep EY's heat up.

The only problem I have is that with it being the "Global Championship," the name itself puts it on par with the TNA World Championship ("Global" and "World" being one in the same). So, I think as johnbragg said, it should be called the International Championship or something to a lesser degree, since it will be a mid-card title.

WCW had an International Championship, Rick Rude had it. The only problem was that it WAS on par with the WCW World Championship. It was the old NWA title, except that instead of stripping the belt they changed the name. The same case can be said about the Legends/Global championship. I never had a problem with its initial name to begin with but changing its name was good idea. If its to be taken seriously the belt needed a professional name. I would honestly say I would've preferred Global Heavyweight Championship but thats just me being a fan. The name shouldn't really matter. Its Global but not a Heavyweight belt, which I think is the key to the name.

I also agree that EY coming out and stating that it will only be defended outside of the U.S. and only against non-U.S. wrestlers is good and bad. It's good because EY is building up that sweet anti-American heat that so many wrestlers have used in the past (Iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff, Sgt. Slaughter, Mohammed Hassan, et al). But, only defending the belt on non-U.S. soil is stupid. Everyone knows the Impact Zone is in Orlando, and that's where all of the Impact tapings are held. Plus, all of the PPV's are held in the U.S. So, they will have to find some way to change that stip on the belt if they want it to be legit. As for the non-American challengers, you again limit the title's value by doing that. I'm sure they'll drop both of those stips sometime down the line, but keep them for a while to keep EY's heat up.

Don't worry. It's like when Booker first introduced it. He claimed it was his prop but when he finally lost it, it became an official TNA belt and the rules changed. There has been some heavy promoting on TNA about a tour in the UK coming up, it would be a great time to make their first overseas Pay Per View. After all, they are actually more popular in the UK than the WWE. A Pay Per View there would probably sell better than one like Bound For Glory did in California. It's the perfect opportunity to hype a title match against a non US wrestler. The question is who? Maybe Hernandez?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back