The End of Sin Cara

It didnt say the character was dropped, it said he was gonna dispute it.

Didnt they change him from Mistico to Sin Cara for this very reason? Why would they even cast another guy as Sn Cara if they had to be concerned with this?

They could easily just repackage Sin Cara with a new mask and a new gimmick saying something like a "rebirth" is necessary.

Mistico didn't own the Mistico gimmick, CMLL do, so he can't go back to that. WWE likely own the Sin Cara gimmick because A) let's face it they aren't fucking amateurs B) reportedly CMLL have registered a trademark on it in Mexico C) I believe the word of a guy who talked about being prescribed 'asteroids for his knee' about as much as I believe in God and D) as of a month ago WWE stated their intention to 'continue to invest in the character and retain it as part of WWE programming.'

Basically, Mistico is full of shit and I don't buy what he's selling

I think they had issues getting Sin Cara trademarked originally and CMLL owned Mystico. So I think they just tried to work around the copyright. Not sure how it ended up, but Vince isnt dumb and would not have made merch that he didnt own in some way.

If he really wants the name so bad who cares? Sin Cara failed as a character & will just be remembered for stupid lights & constant botched spots. Most of his time under contract he spent injured anyway.

This internet thing might have some staying power. You can find a lot of stuff. For instance, a quick search on the US Patent and Trademark Office website shows that WWE holds four trademarks on the name "Sin Cara". 3 related to merchandising and one for the use of the name in "entertainment services, namely, wrestling exhibitions and performances by a professional wrestler and entertainer". That particular filing comes with the note: "The name(s), portrait(s), and/or signature(s) shown in the mark does not identify a particular living individual."

There may be more to it, but that's pretty cut and dry. Whoever owns the character though, I'm all for it being retired.

Did anyone watch Main Event? The WWE report mentions nothing of the mask coming off.

It is not retired...he just lost a match. Truth.
WWE owns the trademark to the character. Truth.
The man who PLAYED THE CHARACTER owns nothing...he mad bro. TRUTH.

This is why "Sugar" Shane Helms had to become The Hurricane and then Gregory Helms.

This is why world renown Brian Danielson has to wrestle in WWE as Daniel Bryan. Vince and HHH lock up these trademarks and rights for this particular reason.

The links die and force folks to repeat the search for themselves, but yup, WWE has 3 merchandising TMs and one performance TM for the character. For his sake, hopefully Mistico has a good legal team.

If to avoid the possibility of this getting out of hand, just "kill off" the Sin Cara character. While I know he isn't big enough to join the Wyatts or anything. I will use that example:

Have him join the Wyatt family, or be possessed by Papa Shango, or get a concussion from an intern moving backstage scenery. Whatever you do, hve him disavow knowledge of Sin Cara

Change the look, entrance, and mask. Change his name (Jose Schmozey for shits & giggles) and continue on....

If to avoid the possibility of this getting out of hand, just "kill off" the Sin Cara character. While I know he isn't big enough to join the Wyatts or anything. I will use that example:

Have him join the Wyatt family, or be possessed by Papa Shango, or get a concussion from an intern moving backstage scenery. Whatever you do, hve him disavow knowledge of Sin Cara

Change the look, entrance, and mask. Change his name (Jose Schmozey for shits & giggles) and continue on....

Or...

Or they could just pretend it never happened. No one would notice.

Yeah, that works better.

The links die and force folks to repeat the search for themselves, but yup, WWE has 3 merchandising TMs and one performance TM for the character. For his sake, hopefully Mistico has a good legal team.

He probably doesn't. Either way, WWE have McDevitt and ya know are right.

While the whole forgetting thing might work, what I thought was the best thing about the Sin Cara character was that it's a gimmick that can last decades if done correctly.

Okay start over with a new Mexican Luchadore Hero. Generic height, weight, and look.

Put him under a mask, have him high fly, maybe no English to be able to switch them up. And ride that character for years. Injured? Switch him out for another 5'8'' 180 pounder that can do the same.

Guy playing Jose Schmozey gets too old? Switch'em!

This could've worked with Sin Cara if not for A) the trademark BS WWE might have B) They went back to Hunico even though he added a distinguishable tattoo.

But I thought the Sin Cara character could have Rey Mysterio/Undertaker length before those two issues came up. But he can easily be Primo/Epico/Hunico/Adrian Neville/Del Rio's brother they just released from NXT...anybody.

He was better off in CMLL. Does he strike anybody else as a foolish mo'fucka? Still no English, still botched...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back