The End Of Big Name Franchises.....

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Sure, we still have the Spider-Man reboot featuring Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone on the horizon, and we're guaranteed one more Iron Man film, but over the years (and more recently) a lot of the big name film franchises are coming to an end, or they have closed the final chapter already. Just take a look at this list:

The Lord Of The Rings
Spider-Man
Star Wars (the prequels)
Harry Potter
Transformers​

And next summer, Christopher Nolan's Batman film series will end with The Dark Knight Rises. I still think The Dark Knight is a tad bit overrated, but Nolan has done a fine job with resurrecting the Batman film series.

All of these films have been box office juggernauts, and each series has produced a few high quality films. Of course, other film franchises will step up, but will they be able to fill the void these franchises leave behind?

These films have provided us with a lot memorable moments and characters, and who could forget the elven Oscar win triumph of The Return Of The King in 2004. Can Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield fill the shoes of Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst? The first Spider-Man film in 2002 was very solid, and Spider-Man 2 was amazing. Some of these films have set the bar pretty high, and it's going to be hard for future franchises to out perform these movies.

We might get a few surprises, when it comes to horror remakes. Halloween II (2009) was shit, but I never thought Halloween (2007) would be as good as it was. But most of the time, these remakes can be a big disappointment, and these films are usually lackluster bore fests filled with Hollywood cliches. And there's a good chance Halloween 3D won't save the day. Seriously, Michael Myers in 3D??? That just doesn't sound right.

The Star Wars films will be re-released in 3D, and Lord Of The Rings fans should enjoy The Hobbit, but can new franchises step up and make a big impact? I think it's possible, because Captain America does look promising, and Green Lantern could get better with more work. Still, rebooting the same franchises could become tiresome after a while, and the new films might not live up to the expectations of their predecessors. And how many times are they going to dig up Jason, Michael Myers, Leatherface, and Freddy Kruger?

What are your thoughts? Is Hollywood facing a crisis?

There are plenty of reboots and other instalments to be had, Terminator, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, etc. As for franchises ending, The Dark Knight Rises is the final Nolan film, not the final Batman film. You can expect another in 5 years or so. Transformers will carry on, I don't actually know but I'm certain Tolkien has other works that can be worked into features.

Out of recent franchises I'd say Potter is the only one where there won't be another installment, for the foreseeable at least. Anyway, Inception showed that people are willing to accept something that doesn't already have an established fan base.

Hollywood will manage to find ways to reboot other things when their writers are low on ideas. They've never been afraid of setting up blatant cash-grab sequels and reboots at the sacrifice of artistic merit. If they've always been doing it, and it's making them piles of money, they're going to keep doing it.

The word "crisis" in Hollywood doesn't have the same definition as the "crisis" we know. They're not in trouble, believe me.

I agree alot of reboots are happening but I guess Hollywood is changing, Now adays its easier to make as much money off of one film as a franchise would then to sit there and make a 6 movie series.

Hollywood has run out of ideas but I don't see them facing a crisis in the foreseeable future. If the Spider-Man reboot fares well, look for studios to do the same for all of the other successful super hero franchises. Also, although there's not as much new material to work compared to decades-old comic books, I won't be surprised in the least if the Harry Potter franchise is rebooted in ten years.

I'm sure 30 years ago after Star Wars came out, the same discussion was being made. They're are always ideas from new and old alike.

I wouldn't say a crisis considering the recent orgasm's people have had over movies such as Avatar and Inception. Correct me if i'm wrong, but they were highly successful with no premise. These films will be re-released in Blue Ray as well. Peter Jackson has stated he will be doing Lord of the Rings in HD and i'm sure Star Wars will be released in Blue Ray and even 3-D both the first three episodes and the final three. Hollywood will find new things to reboot and make. It's just a circle. My only hope is that Pirates of the Caribbean is done making new installations.

I don't think we will see the end of "big name" franchises any time soon.

Sure, some of the current franchises are coming to an end, or have finished (Harry Potter) but there will simply be more created. If a movie does really well, then its always likely that a sequel will be made, if there is demand for it.

Iron Man was a one-off film that ended up having a 2nd and probably 3rd film, as did Transformers. If there is demand for a follow-up to a Blockbuster then follow up films will be made, creating a new franchise.

Look at how quickly new powerhouse franchises come up. Saw came from out of nowhere, and in the blink of an eye, there were 7 of them. The Bourne series was extremely sudden. The Expendables just enjoyed their first successful film and part 2 is on its way.

Big name franchsies are going nowhere. Maybe the one's we have come to know lately will be ending, but plenty of others will take their place.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Hollywood is facing a crisis. Movies are still making money. We keep seeing sequels and remakes because no one dares to try anything new. People can only see the same types of films so many times before they get tired of it. Fads come and go, the same can be said for big movie series. Harry Potter just ended. The time is coming for another big series to step up to the top. What will it be? Who even knows, but until enough people boycott movies, Hollywood will continue to make money. It's sad to see successful series end, but the torch has to be passed eventually from one group of series to a new group because no one could possibly be bored enough to go watch the 23rd entry in a series where all of the movies have similar plots.

The Expendables I can see becoming a franchise,

I think for Star Wars, they should explore the depths of the Expanded Universe.

I will go with a simple no. Although many of the larger franchises are coming to the end there are still many that are yet to take place and many more planned.

Here are just a few:
Prometheus (Aliens prequel)
Man of Steel (Superman)

Also depending on the outcome of the debuts we are likely to get new franchises created with likes of Captain America, Green Lantern and the potential Halo movie.

I would love to see Hollywood become more creative and not have to do remakes all the time or copy foreign movies but I feel most of the larger production houses have become lazy and only care about the $$$ so will take the easy route. I would love to see more films like Inception pop up but maybe that is wishful thinking.

Finally although not really a franchise I cannot wait for Kill Bill Vol.3. Only 3 more years to wait.

I will go with a simple no. Although many of the larger franchises are coming to the end there are still many that are yet to take place and many more planned.

Here are just a few:
Prometheus (Aliens prequel)
Man of Steel (Superman)

Also depending on the outcome of the debuts we are likely to get new franchises created with likes of Captain America, Green Lantern and the potential Halo movie.

I would love to see Hollywood become more creative and not have to do remakes all the time or copy foreign movies but I feel most of the larger production houses have become lazy and only care about the $$$ so will take the easy route. I would love to see more films like Inception pop up but maybe that is wishful thinking.

Finally although not really a franchise I cannot wait for Kill Bill Vol.3. Only 3 more years to wait.

I agree. Avengers could easily become a big name franchise if planned out right.
Which Avatar are you talking about? Avatar with the Blue Na'vis or the Last Airbender?

Lucas still has three more Star Wars films written, but he denies that he will ever make them into films. Who knows though, it could happen.

I'm excited for Spider Man, I don't usually like when they keep reusing the same characters and what not, but I like Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone so I'm excited for that.

Hollywood's main problem is that they're out of original ideas. They need to stop remaking old movies and just come up with something original. If it's a new idea that we haven't really seen before people will watch it. But Hollywood focus way too much on what they can do to make as much money as possible and so they just revamp old movies that already have a fan base.

I'm loving all the superhero movies that are coming up though, especially The Avengers, I can't wait for that one! They could definitely make a franchise out of that.

I wouldn't say a crisis considering the recent orgasm's people have had over movies such as Avatar and Inception. Correct me if i'm wrong, but they were highly successful with no premise. These films will be re-released in Blue Ray as well. Peter Jackson has stated he will be doing Lord of the Rings in HD and i'm sure Star Wars will be released in Blue Ray and even 3-D both the first three episodes and the final three. Hollywood will find new things to reboot and make. It's just a circle. My only hope is that Pirates of the Caribbean is done making new installations.

I 100% agree with everything you just said. Avatar and Inception had no plot, they were just flashy and everyone went apeshit over those. And if they make one more Pirates movie, I might shoot myself. :banghead:

Realistically speaking, Avengers if the Producers I willing to put some series effort into it could be a big named franchise, Expendables doesn't look like a big name franchise given that alot of people didn't really think it was good, can't blame, throwing stars together in one movie doesn't make it good. That's what I call a skit at an award show

Another idea is finding more book series and making them into movies, Eragon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back