The Boondock Saints

Dean Winchester

Getting Noticed By Management
Hands down in my opinion one of the greatest crime dramas ever. It had good wity dialogue, good action, fun and entertaining characters plus good acting. The McNamus brothers were badass in this film. Now I'am only talking about the first film as the sequel was just a bad movie and they should of never made one. But this film was a good movie and entertaining one at that. Surely deserved to do better at the box office and get better reviews by critics and fans at the time it came out on 1999. So what anybody esle think of this film?

Agreed. Highly under-rated film. I thought the two actors cast as the leads were perfect fits. Henry Thomas and Sean Patrick Flannery have played bad ass guys before, and I don't think anyone else has really considered the chops they have. I think some people see those two as top billing and sadly still think "Henry Thomas...lead from ET" and "Sean Patrick Flannery...the lead from POWDER" Granted, each of those great movies in themselves, but I think when people are in good movies from the past, that have good impact, they get stereotyped and are pigeonholed. I wasn't too sure when I first heard who was the leads in this, but I quite enjoyed myself after this was done. Then, when I heard a sequel was being released, I saw the promo poster and was quite pissed off that SPF was not in it. :wtf: I think it was the chemistry that also made for a good show, even many of my co-workers who are die hard Boondock Saints fans agreed that the sequel did NOT work without the same brother in it.

Agreed. Highly under-rated film. I thought the two actors cast as the leads were perfect fits. Henry Thomas and Sean Patrick Flannery have played bad ass guys before, and I don't think anyone else has really considered the chops they have. I think some people see those two as top billing and sadly still think "Henry Thomas...lead from ET" and "Sean Patrick Flannery...the lead from POWDER" Granted, each of those great movies in themselves, but I think when people are in good movies from the past, that have good impact, they get stereotyped and are pigeonholed. I wasn't too sure when I first heard who was the leads in this, but I quite enjoyed myself after this was done. Then, when I heard a sequel was being released, I saw the promo poster and was quite pissed off that SPF was not in it. :wtf: I think it was the chemistry that also made for a good show, even many of my co-workers who are die hard Boondock Saints fans agreed that the sequel did NOT work without the same brother in it.

You sure the same brothers were not in it? I thought both Norman reedus and SPF were in the first and second films?

You sure the same brothers were not in it? I thought both Norman reedus and SPF were in the first and second films?

Dude...I'm not quite sure what the one dude's name was. I know it looked a hell of a lot like the kid from ET. I was told by someone it was the kid from ET. That's probably my dumb luck that I assumed it was Henry Thomas. :banghead: Wasn't there some movie that SPF and Thomas did together since it was then Reedus in the BD saints then? I'm positive there was some movie similar in genre style...I feel like I'm losing it then. :headscratch: Please feel free to tell me to shut up if you must. LOL.

Dude...I'm not quite sure what the one dude's name was. I know it looked a hell of a lot like the kid from ET. I was told by someone it was the kid from ET. That's probably my dumb luck that I assumed it was Henry Thomas. :banghead: Wasn't there some movie that SPF and Thomas did together since it was then Reedus in the BD saints then? I'm positive there was some movie similar in genre style...I feel like I'm losing it then. :headscratch: Please feel free to tell me to shut up if you must. LOL.

Naw its cool man...but back to the film I liked the Tarantino style of the movie. I know this is wishful thinking but I hope that either Tarantino or Robert Rodriquez direct boondock Saints 3 cause they are gonna do one. This way it can be just as good as the first film if not better and go back to hitting theaters.

You're right. It's like when someone mentioned the SAW franchise, you gotta use some discretion, and take careful consideration when deciding whether or not to do a sequel in such high action movies. Forgive me for bringing up another film series, but like with Halloween (Zombie-era) 1st one, okay. Then 2nd one, its like you either were thinking of WAYY too many things at once, or you just got completely shit bored, and then that's when you fuck up a good thing. I mean, even if you have a good person behind the camera, sometimes if not focused right, if can still go ass backwards, Tarantino is one of the few that has yet to make a wrong move, at least in my honest opinion. :blush:

You're right. It's like when someone mentioned the SAW franchise, you gotta use some discretion, and take careful consideration when deciding whether or not to do a sequel in such high action movies. Forgive me for bringing up another film series, but like with Halloween (Zombie-era) 1st one, okay. Then 2nd one, its like you either were thinking of WAYY too many things at once, or you just got completely shit bored, and then that's when you fuck up a good thing. I mean, even if you have a good person behind the camera, sometimes if not focused right, if can still go ass backwards, Tarantino is one of the few that has yet to make a wrong move, at least in my honest opinion. :blush:

I agree arantino directing wise has put out every good film he has directed. But I doubt he be interested in directing the Boondock Saints 3. And yeah Zombie just completely fucked up the Halloween films and Saw shoulda ended at Saw 3.

Boondock Saints was just a fun action movie, nothing more, the two of you are overrating the shit out of it, calling it "one of the greatest crime dramas ever" is bit of a stretch seeing as how it's not a crime drama at all, it's pure action, plain and simple, calling this movie a crime drama would be like calling Rambo a War drama, it's a action movie, and not even close to being a top 20 action movie of the past 15 yrs. let alone all time

That being said this is a franchise that will never see much mainstream success, and both BS2 and the upcoming BS3 should really be released straight to DVD & Blu-Ray, as that's how the majority of the fans that love this series end up seeing these movies anyway, nobody is going to the theater and dropping $10 to see these movies, but there is a demand for them on DVD

As far as the 3rd movie in this series goes, I sincerely hope they take their time writing it, and putting it together, the second one was more of an action/comedy than anything that all of a sudden decided to turn into a serious action movie at the end, and as a result it turned out to be a pretty shitty movie, making a sequel wasn't a bad idea, the fact that they waited a fucking decade to do it and then made it into a fucking joke however was

Boondock Saints was just a fun action movie, nothing more, the two of you are overrating the shit out of it, calling it "one of the greatest crime dramas ever" is bit of a stretch seeing as how it's not a crime drama at all, it's pure action, plain and simple, calling this movie a crime drama would be like calling Rambo a War drama, it's a action movie, and not even close to being a top 20 action movie of the past 15 yrs. let alone all time

That being said this is a franchise that will never see much mainstream success, and both BS2 and the upcoming BS3 should really be released straight to DVD & Blu-Ray, as that's how the majority of the fans that love this series end up seeing these movies anyway, nobody is going to the theater and dropping $10 to see these movies, but there is a demand for them on DVD

As far as the 3rd movie in this series goes, I sincerely hope they take their time writing it, and putting it together, the second one was more of an action/comedy than anything that all of a sudden decided to turn into a serious action movie at the end, and as a result it turned out to be a pretty shitty movie, making a sequel wasn't a bad idea, the fact that they waited a fucking decade to do it and then made it into a fucking joke however was

Yeah your right I'am overrating the movie. It is nothing more then a mindless action film but a good one at that. It does deserve to hit theaters though I mean you had movies like Expendables, Machete, and soon to be Hobo With A Shotgun hit theaters. And the acting in the Boondock Saints and plot were better then them films. But if BDS3 be as good as the first one I will be fine.

I do agree it was a great movie. Again, look carefully, I wasn't saying it was up there with THE GODFATHER. It is a great movie to watch and kill time. I do agree with Dean that taking on sequels is a bit tricky to do no matter who the director is. However, this will be one undertaking I have my fingers crossed that it works out well for. :)

Yeah I did not compare to the classic crime dramas as them films, I thought it was a mystery/crime film but I guess it was an action movie. But yeah you right I did overrate the film but it is still a good entertaining flick. And it does deserve to go to the theaters.

To add some closure to the whole topic of if Sean Patrick Flanery and Norman Reedus were in both films, the answer is simple. Yes, both Flanery and Reedus were in the first film and the sequel. Flanery just gained weight and his face was bloated for whatever reason, but I assure you, that was him in the second film.

On to the topic at hand. I am quiet surprised that neither Tdigle, JMT, or X have come in here and condemned you all for the pure racism and scum that is Troy Duffy. As for me, I did enjoy the first film and the sequel. I would never list them on any greatest films of such and such genre, but they were fun films. However, I will never condone Troy Duffy, and I find it hard to support his making of films seeing as he is a huge walking talking piece of human excrement. His dialogue would be better if it wasn't filled with so many racist jokes. The man can't write an intelligent script without incorporating his hate for other races and people. That to me shows that he is a no talent piece of scum that lucked out on having his script picked up by a studio and getting some decent enough actors to work for him. I enjoyed the Boondock Saints but Troy Duffy kind of ruins it for me.

Well I do not know much about Troy Duffy but I mean I thought the racists jokes were apart of the movie like how Tarantino has racists jokes in his film. Did not know the man was like that. And again I take back it being considered one of the greatest films of all time.

I've always loved Boondocks Saints. Living near Boston, this was something many of my friends and I kind of took pride in. Like their representing Boston so they're representing us or something. We were just a bunch of wannabe punks who loved the fact that a movie this bad ass took place in Boston with Irish characters.

That being said I've never found it underrated just because of how much hype my friends and other people I knew put behind it. When I finally watched it I thought it was a fun, entertaining movie but wasn't the greatest thing to hit cinema like my friends told me it was. It is still a great movie though.

As for Troy Duffy's racism, I can't say much about the man himself but I know plenty of old Irish/Boston guys like in the movie and they are plenty racist, so I never saw it as anything but trying to relay what those type of guys are like.

Excuse me while I dry heave into my trash can at all of the ridiculous praise you guys are heaping on this pile of absolute shit. You'd think me of all people, a Tarantino-loving kid from Boston would like a film like this, right? Wrong. Because it's absolute drivel. Everything from the dialogue (which is hands own some of the absolute worst I have ever seen in any film, ever) to the acting, direction, and plot itself is fucking abysmal. Forget Troy Duffy being the world's biggest douchebag, even if he was the nicest man on Earth I would still kick him directly in the penis for making this joke of a film that empty-headed imbeciles who like to gawk at guns and titties drool over.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but this film really is that fucking bad. The entire ending scene in the court room is one of the most laughable things I've ever seen in a motion picture of any kind.

Sorry OP, but The Boondock Saints is not underrated. At all. If it gets even one shred of praise, then it's grossly overrated. This horseshit came directly out of a total racist/sexist/homophobic drug addict who saw his first Tarantino film and decided to write a script that was "cool", only without any of the important things like character development, drama, dialogue, and intelligence.

Absolutely one of the worst films of the last 10+ years, if not ever.

Lol relax X just a B type film. Think movies like From Dusk Til Dawn had intelligence? Hell no but still a good, fun and entertaining film. The same with this movie, good, fun and entertaining.

Lol relax X just a B type film. Think movies like From Dusk Til Dawn had intelligence? Hell no but still a good, fun and entertaining film. The same with this movie, good, fun and entertaining.

From Dusk Till Dawn had plenty of intelligence in it's first half, even utilizing arthouse techniques in the scene in which Clooney returns to the hotel room to find his brother had killed their hostage. FDTD, even as a B-Movie, is superior in so many ways. For one the dialogue is witty and entertaining (until the last 20 minutes or so), as opposed to pedantic and pretentious like Boondock Saints, the acting from Clooney, QT, and Keitel trumps anything in Saints, shit even the music puts Saints to shame.

Sorry if I come off angry, I'm not, I just really, really hate this film and will gladly argue all of the things wrong about it with anyone looking to discuss it.

From Dusk Till Dawn had plenty of intelligence in it's first half, even utilizing arthouse techniques in the scene in which Clooney returns to the hotel room to find his brother had killed their hostage. FDTD, even as a B-Movie, is superior in so many ways. For one the dialogue is witty and entertaining (until the last 20 minutes or so), as opposed to pedantic and pretentious like Boondock Saints, the acting from Clooney, QT, and Keitel trumps anything in Saints, shit even the music puts Saints to shame.

Sorry if I come off angry, I'm not, I just really, really hate this film and will gladly argue all of the things wrong about it with anyone looking to discuss it.

Yeah first half of FDTD was intelligent then second half just stupid and silly stuff. Plus you mean to tell me the scenes with William Defoe was not intelligent? I mean his character was a smart ass cop who was single handley putting the Boondock Saints stuff together. And the way Boondock Saints killed their enemies was actually sick, especially the way they did it. I liked the whole them saying a pray and way they have the enemies lay with coins on the eyes. As for the acting, well in both films it is pretty much the same, but music I will give to FDTD but BDS little bit of a better film then FDTD.

Yeah first half of FDTD was intelligent then second half just stupid and silly stuff. Plus you mean to tell me the scenes with William Defoe was not intelligent? I mean his character was a smart ass cop who was single handley putting the Boondock Saints stuff together.

Willem Dafoe was horrible in this film and his character was one of the biggest problems with the film. A detective that listens to opera music at crime scenes to help him solve crimes? I couldn't write a more laughably pretentious plot device if I tried. One second he's trying to be serious, the next he's over the top like he's in a Troma film, and the crossdressing scene? Awful. Just poor writing in that scene, I mean what the fuck was his character's plan again? Go to the bad guy's house in drag, lay in his bed, and then just hope for the best?

This is what I'm talking about bro. This is entry-level pseudo-arthouse bullshit at it's most shallow.

And the way Boondock Saints killed their enemies was actually sick, especially the way they did it. I liked the whole them saying a pray and way they have the enemies lay with coins on the eyes.

That's one of the biggest problems with the film. The entire film is basically Troy Duffy making a movie out of the famous scene from Pulp Fiction where Samuel L. Jackson recites a biblical verse before killing people, only unlike Samuel L. Jackson's character, the McManus brothers are not good people or even remotely likable characters, they're scumbags just as immoral as those they seek to "punish". The entire film is just one long amateurish attempt at making a Tarantino film, and failing miserably.

As for the acting, well in both films it is pretty much the same, but music I will give to FDTD but BDS little bit of a better film then FDTD.

The acting is terrible in The Boondock Saints. Not one character is even remotely likable. They're stupid thugs, nothing more.

I'm not going to be as harsh as X, because I did like the film, but I agree that it is an INCREDIBLY overrated movie.

It's a lot of fun, and I really liked the concept of two guys who take it upon themselves to end all the injustices in the world that most people overlook. That said, I thought they did a really terrible job of it and they could have been much more edgy than just killing drug dealers. What if they killed a husband who was abusing his wife? What about a senator who took a bribe at the expense of his constituents? The movie would have been much better if they tackled some more gray areas as opposed to the black and white world of organized crime and drug dealing.

And I hated how much dumb luck they had. At the point that they're stocking up on weapons you get the feeling that they are supposed to know what they're doing. Then they fall through the air vent and start spinning around killing everyone, not missing a single shot mind you, and they remain unharmed. That's just too ridiculous for me to buy.

Willem Dafoe's character was the only really great thing about this movie. He was a tough cop that looked at crime scenes like an orchestrated symphony, and he was an open homosexual that demanded respect from his fellow cops. His character was very much outside the box, and was an extremely interesting person to watch in the film.

I did like the film, I thought it was fun, but if we're talking about all time great crime-dramas, this one doesn't even scratch the surface. It's an unrealistic fantasy that gives action nuts something to *********e to while they claim it has a deep philosophy and psychological questions with real world implications.

Willem Dafoe was horrible in this film and his character was one of the biggest problems with the film. A detective that listens to opera music at crime scenes to help him solve crimes? I couldn't write a more laughably pretentious plot device if I tried. One second he's trying to be serious, the next he's over the top like he's in a Troma film, and the crossdressing scene? Awful. Just poor writing in that scene, I mean what the fuck was his character's plan again? Go to the bad guy's house in drag, lay in his bed, and then just hope for the best?

This is what I'm talking about bro. This is entry-level pseudo-arthouse bullshit at it's most shallow.

That's one of the biggest problems with the film. The entire film is basically Troy Duffy making a movie out of the famous scene from Pulp Fiction where Samuel L. Jackson recites a biblical verse before killing people, only unlike Samuel L. Jackson's character, the McManus brothers are not good people or even remotely likable characters, they're scumbags just as immoral as those they seek to "punish". The entire film is just one long amateurish attempt at making a Tarantino film, and failing miserably.

The acting is terrible in The Boondock Saints. Not one character is even remotely likable. They're stupid thugs, nothing more.

Wow....you made so much good points I think I might not look at this film the same way anymore....although Samuel L. Jackson's character was not good either until the ending of the film when he became a follower of God. But man you made me think and change my views on this film now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back