A Sequel For The Simpsons Movie Might Not Happen

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Things were looking Grim for TV’s highest-rated animated series a couple of weeks back, but “The Simpsons” executive producer Al Jean helped convince Moe to keep the bar open a few more years, Mr Burns to continue hatching evil plans, and Maggie to keep on her with her plight to one day lose the diaper. It’s a testament to the strong relationships formed on the hit Twentieth Century Fox series that the show not only continues but has lasted as long as it has.

But does Jean have the ability to convince everyone it’s time to write up some contracts and nut out a script for another big-screen “Simpson’s Movie”?

Maybe, but he’s not interested. Not yet anyway.

Jean, speaking to Moviehole today for the release of the show’s 14th season on DVD, says a sequel to the cashy “Simpson’s Movie” isn’t on the cards. And there won’t be one unless someone who comes up with a worthwhile script. Though there was a rumour last year that a storyline existed for a possible sequel, Jean says there’s been no movement on Bart’s next box-office battering.

Says Jean :

I had always felt it would be best to wait after the series concluded to do the Simpsons Movie, but when it became clear the show might never end, we decided we had to get cracking on the film. If there is a sequel, there would have to be a script we believed in as much as the first one. At the moment we are concentrating solely on the show.

http://www.moviehole.net/201149079-exclusive-wheres-the-simpsons-movie-sequel-at

I really don't pay attention to the show anymore, but I've been a fan of The Simpsons for years. I really enjoyed the movie, and I thought it was a nice treat for fans of the show. The Simpsons Movie was a success at the box office, and this film did a good job of staying true to the show. The Simpsons Movie was a hilarious comedy that could please any fans of the show, and I would love to see a sequel.

I can understand the need to focus on the show, but another film wouldn't be a bad idea, because moviegoers and fans of the show would want to see this. As far as the story goes, I wouldn't mind seeing another wild and whacky adventure. I enjoyed the story of the evil Environmental Protection Agency that wanted to destroy Springfield in the first film. Homer was the unlikely hero, and the story was very enjoyable.

Usually, I have the one and done feeling in these type of situations, because the sequel doesn't live up to the mystique and quality of the original, but in this case, I would want to take a chance on another Simpsons' film. The Simpsons' have always had a great set of unique characters, the possibilities for different storylines are endless, and I do think a new Simpsons' film is necessary, because the first one was such a success, and it just leaves you wanting more.

Did you enjoy the first Simpsons' film?

Would you watch a sequel?

Did you enjoy the first Simpsons' film?
Indeedly-doodly. I had my reservations about it like I think a fair number of people perhaps did given the quality of the seasons leading up to it. However when I heard they got some of the original writers back on board I was a lot more intrigued to see what they would be able to do. The plot was fairly solid although the story with Bart and Ned Flanders was a bit light, but did enough of a job to sell Homer's shortcomings as a family man within the whole story. The part in the cabin where Marge has recorded a message for Homer was a very touching and emotional moment, not quite on a par with Homer and his mum/Homer going back to the power plant for Maggie, but still very good.

The guest stars were good as they didn't take a lot of the limelight away from the regular cast, and Tom Hanks' brief commercial spot was pretty funny.

Would you watch a sequel?
I probably would, but whether I saw it on DVD or at the cinema would depend on the plot and the writers. I don't think a film should be the last we see of The Simpsons though, I would much prefer that when they did call it a day, it would be on our TV screens rather than a cinema one.

I wuill probably be in the minority here, but I didn't really enjoy The Simpson's movie all that much. I didn't think it was anywhere near the quality of most of the TV episodes, but it was such a financial and critical success overall that it would make sense for another one to be made. It would be bad business not to.

I probably would watch it, I have seen the original 3x now and I do seem to be enjoying it more each time I see it, but I would hope that a sequel would be better than the first.

Did you enjoy the first Simpsons' film? I didn't love it but I didn't despise it either. I felt they stayed true to the series in as many ways as possible but like Naitch? I didn't feel like it was any sort of a step up from the average Simpsons show watched every week. I know people will disagree with me and the plot wasn't all that bad. But when all you're watching is an extended Simpsons episode? It's hard to be really ecstatic. Or at least, it is in my opinion. Would you watch a sequel? I'd probably buy it on DVD or something; but I wouldn't be one of the people who rushes out to see it the second the theatres have it in their hands. There's really not a reason to not have another one though. It'll make just as much money (or more), the same fans will watch it a hundred times and it'll get good reviews simply off its old but still fresh humor.

I'd be open to see a second movie, if it runs with the current season's storyline, but what am I saying? cartoons have no running storylines lol it's a new show every week

I don't think a film should be the last we see of The Simpsons though, I would much prefer that when they did call it a day, it would be on our TV screens rather than a cinema one.

This is something I was thinking about, when I first read this piece of news. The Simpsons do have an incredible legacy as the longest-running American sitcom, and The Simpsons will be remembered as one of the most famous television shows of all time. The Simpsons got their start on the small screen, and a send off as a television series just feels like the right thing to do. I'm sure FOX will broadcast some type of grand hour long finale, if the show ends on television. But could 20th Century Fox resist the temptation of a very large payday at the box office? If they can do a good job of marketing the prequel as the grand finale for The Simpsons, I'm sure plenty of people will show up at theaters, because The Simpsons do have a huge fanbase, and watching the end of this famous TV series on the big screen does have a more extravagant and special feeling. They're going to have to choose between the possibility of record breaking TV ratings or incredible box office numbers, when it's all said and done. The Simpsons movie was very successful, so a finale in theaters wouldn't surprise me too much.

I really enjoyed the first Simpsons movie and would definitely watch a second one. The show has been on for longer than a number of its fans have been alive and the first movie had a TON of hype to live up to. I think that it did quite well, and even breathed a little life back into the main series during a time when the episode quality had gone down. A second movie will have just as much hype to live up to though, as well as the great level of hilarity in the first film that would need to be matched. I can see why a second film is not currently planned because of all the time that would need to be poured into that when they are still focusing on the show itself. A second film deserves to have a great deal of attention paid to it, otherwise it would be terrible compared to the first which was a great effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back