The Biggest Problem Finn Balor Has

But that's the thing. Other than the costume/makeup there is no difference, he wrestles the exact same way.

I mean you can interpret it the way you want. Is the Demon another character or it's the same character but the Demon is mostly like "war paint" to tell a story of an escalating feud or match?

That said I think his time in the main roster did him no favors when something as self explanatory as his demon gimmick has to be explained with him conducting promos about it or the commentators having to rationalize it. Some things are best left unsaid.

That said (no pun intended) Balor is a character that does not have a lot of depth, which I agree, and he is pretty basic as far he goes but the fact that he is over in-spite that is more of the reason that WWE should push him.

Ok you can't have any complex storylines here and that's fine. But what is wrong with basic storytelling about heels vs. faces or wrestlers wanting to win a match. I forgot whose podcast is it, maybe it was Jericho's or Bryan Alvarez, or Austin's but there was conversation that the motivation of winning a match and wanting to win a Championship is because a wrestler wants to earn money and doing so allows them to put food on their family's table? I mean it makes sense and entirely relateable in why you want to win a match.

Problem is you can't do that anymore because WWE has created an environment where wins and losses don't matter anymore. Remember how when even if a face challengers battles a heel champion and wins via DQ or countout? The fans still popped huge and it's because, like in most sports a win is a win, and Jesse Ventura used to justify a DQ or countout win is still a good thing because even if you don't win the title you get the "winners money".

It's like sports why does every in a regular season feel important? it's not only because you can qualify to be in the post-season or playoffs but because the more wins the more it favors you in the post season. Whether its having a bye round in MLB or NFL or facing lower seeded teams in the NHL or the NBA.

I mean if WWE can still play with that narrative then there's no reason you can't push guys for having somewhat of a basic or generic persona.

The problem with Finn is the same problem with not just nxt call ups but a lot of people on the roster. The WWE gives them no time to sell themselves or show who they are to get usas fans invested. Example: Chad Gable was funny and charismatic as hell on nxt from his catch phrases to convincing Jason Jordan to Let him be his partner, it was comedy that got American Alpha over. They gave Breezango the backstage segments on SD and they just may be the most over thing besides Styles on SD. Let us know who Balor is, give us backstage promos. Viligitines. Explain the Bálor Club.

I like Balor. He has some charisma, his intro is pretty good and fans get behind it and he can have a good match. Trouble for him is that he is on RAW and in main event picture. Where you have Brock, Reigns, Strowman and Joe. He just doesnt add up there. He doesnt pose a threat(at least believable) and doesnt really present himself on mic as someone who can be "The Guy". Logical solution would be to get him in midcard but now with Brock gone Reigns is there to have IC title. On Smackdown he could have his spot from where he could feud with guys like Owens and Zayn, Mahal, even Ziggler. On RAW right now he has nothing and goes exactly nowhere right now. They maybe build him for Lesnar, but that match would probably kill him even more. So he is right now at the wrong place and at the wrong time.

Does anyone else compare Finn Balor to Sheamus or is it just me?

Too me they both play the same exact character: Irish warrior

Both of them have similarities and differences. They both are about the same lvl on the mic and they are both Irish. But how they differ is that balor is better looking, better entrance, better ring work. All sheamus has on Balor is that Sheamus is bigger. Yet Vince McMahon loves Sheamus even though I give you this list... Kind of puts thing in perspective doesn't it?

Does anyone else compare Finn Balor to Sheamus or is it just me?

Too me they both play the same exact character: Irish warrior

Both of them have similarities and differences. They both are about the same lvl on the mic and they are both Irish. But how they differ is that balor is better looking, better entrance, better ring work. All sheamus has on Balor is that Sheamus is bigger. Yet Vince McMahon loves Sheamus even though I give you this list... Kind of puts thing in perspective doesn't it?

The only thing that is the same about them is that they come from Ireland. It's like saying that Cesaro and Austin are the same because they are bald.

Sheamus is the Celtic Warrior, comes out to the ring, kicks ass and leaves. He is a brawler and very believable as a heavyweight. Not only that, he has the look with the mohawk that sort of stops you in your tracks. In other words he stand out from the rest.

Balor on the other hand unless he's painted up, doesn't stand out really at all. Like I said before Balor does his best work in the ring. I have no issues with the guy, but he and Sheamus couldn't be anymore different.

The only thing that is the same about them is that they come from Ireland. It's like saying that Cesaro and Austin are the same because they are bald.

Sheamus is the Celtic Warrior, comes out to the ring, kicks ass and leaves. He is a brawler and very believable as a heavyweight. Not only that, he has the look with the mohawk that sort of stops you in your tracks. In other words he stand out from the rest.

Balor on the other hand unless he's painted up, doesn't stand out really at all. Like I said before Balor does his best work in the ring. I have no issues with the guy, but he and Sheamus couldn't be anymore different.

Even though I get your point, doesn’t normal Balor play an Irish warrior too? I mean whenever Cole talks about the demon he always brings up that Finn’s name is half warrior and half demon with the Finn part being the warrior. I understand Sheamus looks the part but if wwe books Finn the part doesn’t that make up the difference.

Balor's injury really hurt his momentum. After returning, his booking has been bad. He had lackluster feuds with Elias Samson and Bray Wyatt. Then he got a clean win over Styles at TLC. All so he could put over Kane the next night on Raw. Because that's what you do with a young star of course.

And I really don't see how you can say Balor is boring. He's not anymore boring than Roman Reigns and a lot of other top guys in WWE.

Biggest problem Finn Bálor has is his lame booking. Getting destroyed by Kane in 2017 would do wonders, no? I love Braun Strowman and like Kane as well but why build that feud on expense of a former Universal Champion? Or am I supposed to believe that Kane is actually better than Finn Bálor today?

And those talking about Finn Bálor being not believable against Lesnar. First of all, let's see if we wanna talk about Kayfabe or Reality.

In reality, Finn Bálor has no chance but this is Professional Wrestling. Everyone has a chance. Enzo of all people is Cruiserweight Champion.

In reality, Sincara is tough so why not give him more wins? In reality, Chad Gable could out wrestle many. We all know what Jericho did to Goldberg in reality.

Let's get to Kayfabe. CM Punk has had the best match with Brock Lesnar after Brock returned from UFC. Even after 4.5 years of that match.

And I don't find Finn Bálor bland by any measure.

He's getting big cheers. Not just on entrance but also in matches as well as promos. He has yet to have a horrible promo. So, basically, he's being a better face than Vince's projected face who we all know. Having horrible promos didn't stop him from main eventing a Wrestlemania, no? 3 consecutive Wrestlemanias. Just imagine that.

Finn Bálor is always having good matches. And that finisher Coup De Grace is believable enough. In reality, that could break your ribs. Just ask a doctor, I did.

As Finn Bálor, he's the lite version of AJ Styles. But the demon gimmick helps. Again, don't tell me about demon being stupid in reality. Dead Man won't wrestle in reality, no? Don't take what serves your purpose from both reality as well as kayfabe. Either see kayfabe or see reality.

And about size. Daniel Bryan main evented Wrestlemania 30. Defeated 3/4 of Evolution. It isn't viable in reality but in kayfabe, it is.

Finn Bálor isn't boring. Someone who's sitting in his home with a so-called World Championship is. It's like double standards. I get bored of his german suplexes. And then, you'll say that audience likes it. Well, audience likes Finn Bálor as well. And yes, since it's Vince McMahon, Roman Reigns is the best face. Although he's getting boo'd even with Shield. May be crowd will cheer him in future. Boos are decreasing a bit. But does it even matter if he's bood or cheered? It doesn't, for Vince.

I like Finn Balor. I like watching him in the ring and even though he may not come off as all that captivating to some on the mic, I think he ultimately does what he needs to do. For instance, Balor's promos get positive responses from the fans and he does his promos in an underappreciated way, at least in my eyes; in order for someone to make me invest in them while listening to them speak, they don't have to be bouncing around all over the wheel like they're on coke, they don't have to toss out one-liners and catchphrases, they don't have to toss out company buzz words. Balor comes out, says what he intends to do, panders to the crowd a little bit and does a decent job of making me believe it. I get that when you look at it spelled out like that, it sounds kind of bland but, at the same time, I think there are too many of us who seem to only be happy with someone on the mic or as a character when they, proverbially speaking, reinvent the wheel or try to emulate styles like the Rock or Austin to some degree.

At the same time, I do have to say that I think Balor is someone who's a bit overrated due in no small part to him having been a big player in New Japan. That's not to say that Balor isn't good, he's very good in my opinion, but I also think that he's one of these guys who, like Gallows & Anderson, that internet fans sprayed their shorts over when it was announced he was signing with WWE; As with Gallows & Anderson and a LOT of other talent I've seen in New Japan, I've been expecting some sort of game changing greatness, someone who brings something that nobody else ever has or really even could because that's the sort of way this guy's been hyped by Meltzer, Powell, Keller and everyone else, writer or fan alike, who constantly jerks off on everything New Japan does and I just simply haven't seen that.

Balor is someone who can be a strong player in WWE and help carry the company for the next several years. It bothers me to see that Balor is another fresh face in WWE that Vince severely misuses at times, his use against Kane has been abysmal and I'm at the point right now where I wish they'd just do the friggin' match with Kane against Strowman so Strowman can win and Kane can go back to campaigning for mayor. I think Balor's use against Kane is a good example of either how short sighted or uncaring Vince has become when it comes to building new stars; as of right now, Roman Reigns and Braun Strowman are probably the only wrestlers, male or female, who've debuted in WWE this decade who's gotten the same general consistency and strength in pushes and there's little reason why: Vince has a full blown man crush on Roman Reigns while Strowman is a freak of nature. Everyone else has had their career momentum halted or sabotaged by Vince, including Finn Balor, sometimes for reasons that we just don't understand or even see.

Balor's good in my opinion and he has a lot more to WWE than what the company has gotten out of him so far. However, I think Balor is going to be another victim of Vince's "I just don't see it" perspective.

I really like Balor, especially his Demon King character. I think it should be saved for special situations, but the regular Finn needs something interesting to do.

I don't know if any of this matters. If the brass hates him, he isn't going anywhere. He should probably put on 20 or 30 pounds and get a finisher where he doesn't just jump on someone with his feet. His finisher is the only thing I really don't like about him. Could be a big deal if given a shot.

Yeah, the finish would be more effective for me if he was bigger. I've seen local wrestlers use the move and it just isn't impressive when they do it, because watching someone who is 180 do the move isn't a big deal and Finn is no different.

I also really worry he is going to jack up his ankles one of these days.

My problem with Balor is he has my attention with his entrance but after that I just don’t care. His matches are no different then Rollins or Ziggler. Samoa Joe and Strowman are way more entertaining and red hot right now.

An easy fix for Balor is to get him the hell off of Monday Night Raw along with Gallows and Anderson. They have booked them like jokes. Let these guys go with their creative direction, it's there but is handcuffed by Raw's (lack of) creative team.

You put these guys on Smackdown leading a faction as heels to wreck shop and have Finn taunt AJ as the original leader of the Bullet Club and let Finn have unique demon themed entrances like he did in NXT, then he and Gallows and Anderson will get over. Anderson has decent mic skills when you let him be himself and not script him so much.

Does Finn have some mic skill trouble, yeah. Alot has to do with his accent (see Becky Lynch) but he could still use work in general. But if he's in a stable, Anderson and Gallows could assist in the promos so it's not all on him. Hell, it worked for Roman in the Shield having Rollins and Ambrose on the mic because Roman by himself sucks on the mic. just my thoughts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back