The Better Women's Wrestler: Wendi Richter or Trish Stratus?

It's...Baylariat!

Team Finnley Baylor
Here we are, talking about two very influential wrestlers in Richter and Stratus. Richter was the WWE Women's Champion in the 80's dethroning Fabulous Moolah's nearly three decade long reign as champion. She also helped usher in the Rock 'n Wrestling connection with Cyndi Lauper, an 80's pop star who was all over MTV. Richter was also apart of the first 'screwjob' in the WWE when Moolah 'hooked her up' in a roll up for a pin that Richter didn't expect. So there was some bitterness there from Richter and now, she'll be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame this year.

Trish Stratus is more widely known these days, simply because she wrestled more recently. She held her own as a multi-time Women's Champion and carried the belt with class and sexiness. Her and Lita had a great rivalry that culminated in some dynamic matches. And Stratus wasn't always a wrestler. She was a valet for Test and Albert as the group T&A. She branched out as a wrestler and found a lot more success. And needless to say, is a shoe-in for a future HOF induction.

So who is the better women's wrestler? Richter or Stratus?

I guess that depends on what perspective you're looking at. Richter is probably the bigger star, relative to her time period. At one point, she was nearly as famous as Hogan. Trish was the better worker, and probably had more natural charisma. Richter had the benefit of pairing up with Cyndi Lauper, who was a big star at the time.

So, I guess I'd say that Trish is probably the better female wrestler. She was the better worker and the better promo.

Wendi Ricther Former 2 Time WWE Women's Champion, Very Good Question Wendi Lasted About A 26 Years In The Ring While Stratus Lasted 6, Which Is Still Good In My Opion, I'd Say Wendi's The Better Wrestler, Shes Won More Titles Than Trish In Different Wrestling Companies, She Really Does Deserve To Be In The HOF.

To tell the truth, I'm sure more than half of the people or maybe even a 1/3 of the people on this forum have never heard of Wendy Richter until she was announced for the HOF on Monday, let alone watched any of her matches. This forum is not as educated or smart as you think or as some people here think. I can bet you that most of the people here weren't even born during her run and that some of the members here were toddlers. So Trish Stratus will win automatically because she's the most recent diva. And also this comparison is random as hell! Why not compare Mae Young to Richter? Why Stratus?

Great thread. Since Im thirty and do remember Wendy Richter, I have to go with her. Wendy beating Fabulous Moolah for the woman's title after nearly thirty years of dominance is probably the only accolade I need to support my answer. But I also remember Wendy Richter being a star in the AWA. Trish Stratus is/was a great star but in comparison it's like comparing Ric Flair to HHH. Eventually HHH will beat Ric Flair's title reign number but which reigns hold more weight, most if not all of us will say Ric Flair. It's totally Wendy Richter.

The better wrestler was Trish. Wendy had a very important impact on women's wrestling that can't be denied, but when it came to working in the ring, Trish is just better. That's not a knock on Wendy at all though. Wendy was every bit as important as Trish was, probably more so.

ahh back to the days of Charles in Charge and Ghostbusters. I have to say Wendi Richter, she was bit of a powerhouse and had those spins. Plus the way cool Cyndi Lauper would come to the ring with her. This is a mark childhood memory post remembering the great 80s. Prince Janet and Michael Jackson, Ronald Reagan and the fall of the Berlin Wall.

When you look at women's wrestling in the last two decades, you can see the shift in the way WWE has handled things.

In Wendi Richter's time, the only women in the ring were wrestlers.

A decade later, there were "woman wrestlers" and "models who wrestled." Consisting of people like Torrie Wilson and Stacy Keibler, the models were generally clueless as wrestlers but could be coaxed into a decent match if they had a "pure" wrestler in there as their opponent.

Today, Vince has hired a group that I call "athletic models." They are made up of girls like Maryse, Michelle McCool, Layla, etc. These girls aren't true wrestlers, but they are accomplished enough athletically to put on good matches, even when opposing other athletic models.

The forerunner of these models was Trish Stratus. She is the first one I remember who fit in the category of "athletic model." She looked good against pure wrestlers like Micki James and Lita (partially because of their ability to sell Trish's moves) as well as models like Stacy Keibler.

But, when asked to compare Trish with Wendi Richter, I'd have to pick Richter as the better wrestler. Maybe not as the better performer or personality, but Wendi Richter squared off against only wrestlers, not models. She had the harder road to travel.

Ok, here is my argument for Wendi Richter.

You can't compare the two realistically. Why? Because they competed in two entirely different eras of Women's Wrestling. Back in Wendi's day there were real WRESTLERS instead of PIN-UP GIRLS who looked good rolling around on a canvas mat in a never-ending T&A show.

I would say that pretty much ANY woman competitor from the early 80's and before would kick the living HELL out of any "diva" from the "Sable Era" on.

Back in Wendi's day you had women who were striving to PROVE that women's wrestling deserved to be recognized and fought hard for that. June Byers, Moolah, Bette Boucher, Evelyn Stevens, Helen Hild (ted dibiase.. the million dollar man's mother) Penny Banner, Penny Mitchell, Susan Green, Velvet McIntyre, lei Lani Kai, Judy Martin, Vivian Vachon, Bull Nakano, Madusa, Akira Hokuto, Princess Victoria, Luna, Sherri Martel, Bambi, Misty Blue Simms, Kat LeRoux, Desiree Peterson, Debbie Combs, Toni Rose.. the list goes on and on.

These women focused on the ABILITY to wrestle eachother and dish out punishment and getting the pinfall victory. There were rarely "rest moves" used, a lot more hair pulling.. granted.. but nothing like reverse chinlocks lasting five minutes, etc. They WRESTLED.. and in their wrestling they knew counter moves and submission moves, and if you were to watch any of their matches on youtube or wherever else you may get to see them.. you'll notice that they are almost ALWAYS in constant motion.. flowing from one move to the next.

Comapred to the woman competitors of today its a VAST difference. Today it's more about "hitting the high spot" than it is the wrestling. There are some.. very FEW.. who can actually WRESTLE... Mickie James and Beth Phoenix, Gail Kim, and Natalya come to mind.. but Trish Stratus was DEFINITELY not one of them. With the woman competitors today, you see more "blown spots" than anything else, and in comparison to the women of Wendi's era.. its pretty much not even an issue.

And for all of you who still claim that Wendi ended "Moolah's nearly thirty year title reign".. I BEG of you to do some research! Moolah lost the title TEN YEARS after she won it.. to her sister-in-law Bette Boucher, for a few days before winning it back. She then lost it again a few years later in Japan to Yukiko Tomoe (for a month!), then lost it again to Susan Green in Madison Square Garden, then lost it again to Evelyn Stevens BEFORE ever dropping the belt to Wendi Richter. In case you lost count.. that makes Moolah a FIVE TIME CHAMPION before ever losing to Wendi. Regaining it from her and then winning it from Velvet McIntyre and winning it from Ivory gives Moolah EIGHT WOMENS CHAMPIONSHIP REIGNS.. topping Trish's seven.

In Wendi's day, the competitors were more fierce and vicious and.. since Moolah had the rights to the championship.. they were ALL hungry to get the title from her. Granted Moolah's dominance of the title pretty much almost killed it, Wendi was the focal point of the rejuvenation of Women's Wrestling in North America. She had the skill, the looks, and the popularity.. oftentimes main eventing house shows all across the country. She even came THISCLOSE to dethroning Hulk Hogan's popularity.

Unfortunately since Vince McMahon didn't wn the rights to the Women's World Championship until he bought them from Moolah right before she dropped the title to Wendi.. the WWE credits Moolah as holding the title for 28 or so years.. totally ignoring the other women who had beaten her for it only a few years earlier. (Vince's "selective championship history")
Trish Stratus never did, and never WILL come close to that level of popularity no matter how long she lives. Wendi Richter accomplished more in her two title reigns that Trish EVER could have hoped to in her seven.

Who is the best WRESTLER? Which is the point of this thread.. hands down Wendi Richter is the better WRESTLER... who was better skilled? Again, hands down Wendi Richter.. taking into consideration the level of competition she faced back in the day. MOST of Trish's opponents have been pin-up models who only know how to flash their asses or Vince McMahon funded breasts. (The Kat, Sable, Melina, Maryse, The Bellas, BB Bush, etc)

Who was/is more IMPORTANT to the history of Women's Wrestling? Again, hands down Wendi Richter. If it weren't for her "look" and Vince McMahon.. at times questionale.. genius back in 1984 or 85.. women's wrestling would be a dead issue and Trish Stratus never would have existed.. PERIOD!

I would have to say that Wendi was probably the better wrestler overall, because she was with more than 1 company, was successful in each company she worked for and that she dethroned Moolah's title reign (which is still the record for length any 1 person held a WWE title). Even though I am too young to remember watching her wrestle, I still know who she is because of the dethroning. And she also had wrestled for a longer period of time. I don't recall them doing many female promos until Sherri showed up in the WWE. So if we are talking that aspect, the edge goes to Trish.

I think you're comparing apples to oranges. It's like comparing sports teams of today to those of other eras. Nowadays do you expect a WWE diva to retain the title for 30 some years? 30 some months even? No. Back then there were much fewer and it was a completely different business. Not to mention back then the women wrestlers could actually wrestle. Now a couple of them can, but percentage-wise there's no comparison. You could try and make cases for either woman, but it's just not the same kind of wrestling business as it once was.

Hands down it is Richter -- who by the way was the victim of the first WWF screwjob -- she was a better worker, and had a much bigger impact. Wendi Richter moved womens wrestling back to the mainstream. Trish botched move after move and was eye candy. Really she is not even in the same league.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back