• Sherri Martel

• Paul Heyman

• Debra Marshall

• Ralphus

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
In recent weeks, a great deal of debate has come onto these boards dealing with the apparent "death of the pro wrestling manager." I thought it only appropriate to feature managers as part of this week's "Best of the 90's" segment, since managers were a MAJOR part of the greatest decade in wrestling history.

Here are my nine choices. As always with B.O.T.N., if your choice isn't one of the nine listed, 1) I don't give a damn. I only get 9 slots and these are the first I think of. So don't whine. 2) Vote "other" and for god's sake explain why you feel that person is the best manager of the 90's or why they should make the top-ten.

1. Jim Cornette. As a loud-mouthed, tennis-raquet weilding manager, Jim Cornette enjoyed much success in the WWE. Jim was a large part of Yokozuna's two WWE-Championship reigns in the early 90's. Jim also managed "The Heavenly Bodies," a talented tag team he brought to the WWE in a vain attempt to save Smokey Mountain Wrestling from financial demise. After The Bodies and Yokozuna, Jim managed the likes of Vader, Owen Hart, and The British Bulldog. He also managed (at one time or another) Jeff Jarrett, Mantaur (lol), The Rock and Roll Express, Mark Henry, Bob Holly, and Bart Gunn. He was the PWI Manager of the Year in 1993 and 1995, and won 6 of 10 years in the 90's from Paul Meltzer's Wrestling Observer.

2. Paul Ellering. Most well-known as the manager of The Legion of Doom / The Road Warriors, Paul has seen success as a manager since a knee injury cost him a wrestling career. While spending some 14 years as the manager of L.O.D., Paul enjoyed tag team gold and mainstream success. To his credit, Paul also managed Jake Roberts, Matt Borne, and the Disciples of Apocalypse.

3. Francine Fournier. One of ECW's most well-known managers, Francine was the 1st graduate of ECW's Wrestling school "The House of Hardcore." Francine is also well known for the bumps she took through tables and the piledrivers she received. Francine was a lightning rod manager in the old ECW, managing Stevie Richards, Tommy Dreamer, The Pit Bulls, Bam Bam Bigelow, and others.

4. Jimmy Hart. "The Mouth of the South," Jimmy Hart was on championship teams regularly. After his late 80's split with the Hart Foundation, Jimmy's first team in the 90's was "Rhythm and Blues." Hart then picked up "The Nasty Boys" and led them past the Hart Foundation for the WWF Tag Team Titles. Later still, Jimmy employed "The Natural Disasters," only to turn on them and pick up 2 more tag-team titles with "Money Inc." In 1993, Hart joined forces with Hulk Hogan and Brutus Beefcake against Money Inc., and wound up leading Hogan to a 5th WWE Title against Yokozuna. In WCW, Hart managed Hogan to the WCW Title only to turn on him and join The Giant and The Dungeon of Doom. Hart's ridiculously long managerial resume includes: The Barbarian, Beefcake, Dino Bravo, The Giant, Hulk Hogan, Kamala, Lex Luger, Meng, Money Inc., The Rougeaus, Mabel, and The Big Boss Man. He was the PWI Manager of the Year in 1994.

5. Scott Levy. Better known as "Raven," Levy enjoyed a short but successful stint in the early 1990's as "Johnny Polo," a stuck up rich kid managing Adam Bomb and The Quebecers. While Adam Bomb didn't go far (unless you count the unemployment line), Levy managed the Quebecers to 3 Tag Team Championship reigns in the early 90's, I believe the most by any one team in the decade. Despite a successful managerial career, the ring called and Raven returned to ECW full-time. Funny note - Levy is credited as a former manager of James Mitchell.

6. Sherri Martel. Possibly the greatest female manager in history, the late Sherri Martel managed The Macho King Randy Savage after the death of the WWE's women's division in 1989. The relationship with Savage tested legendary feuds such as Savage vs Hogan (where Sherri played antagonist to Miss Elizabeth) and Savage vs Rhodes (where Sherri was Sapphire's anti-heroin). After Savage lost his retirement match to The Ultimate Warrior and reunited with Miss Elizabeth, Sherri became the manager of Ted DiBiase. The time with DiBiase was just a blip on the radar screen, as Martel went on to manage Shawn Michaels, and sing his first singles theme song. When Marty Jannetty returned to the ring to get revenge on Michaels, it was Sherri taking a vicious looking mirror-bump, only to see her return weeks later at The Royal Rumble, in the corner of Jannetty. In 1993, she managed Shane Douglas to the ECW World Championship. She managed WCW's Ric Flair after that, and went on to become "Sister Sherri" with Harlem Heat. Incidentally, she has been managed by...Jim Cornette. She was the Wrestling Observer Manager of the Year in 1991.

7. Paul Heyman. His ECW career behind him, people don't often remember Heyman as a talented and prolific manager. In WCW in 1992, Heyman managed a stable known as "The Dangerous Alliance." That team consisted of Bobby Eaton, Rick Rude, Arn Anderson, WCW TV Champion Steve Austin and Larry Zbyszko. For those efforts, he won PWI's Manager of the Year award in 1992. From there, he went to ECW, where he arguable managed everybody.

8. Debra Marshall. While she may not be the first to come to mind in terms of "great managers," Debra's list of managed talent reads like a 1990's Who's Who: Ric Flair, Eddie Guerrero, Owen Hart, Jeff Jarrett, Dean Malenko, Steve McMichael, and Alex Wright. Debra's role as supporter of Jarrett's bid to join the Four Horsemen and her alliance with Ric Flair advanced her career as much as marrying those she managed helped to destroy it. She was PWI's Manager of the Year in 1999, the same year she won "Woman of the Year."

9. Ralphus. I am a biased Chris Jericho fan, so piss off. Anyway, Ralphus makes my top-9 just on the fact that he started as a truck driver for WCW. He couldn't keep his pants from falling down. He wore a dress. He shook "The Finger of Doom" at fans trying to touch the TV Champion. After Jericho let Ralphus go for what Jericho described as having learned the Dali Lama'a secret of clouding men's minds, Ralphus caught on with Norman Smiley and hilarity ensued. Many feel the Ralphus character was a shot Jericho took at Kevin Nash for holding young talent back.

10. Other. Please explain your vote.

Sherri Martel without a doubt. HBK wouldn't be the wrestler he is today without her. If HBK was just starting out today, he'd be on the same level as Chris Masters. There would be no Intercontinental title, and an occasional push at best. The same thing would have happened in the early 90's were it not for Sherri. She gave you a reason to boo him, in my opinion he was a pretty bland heel without her.

Another mention must go to Sunny. A bigger star than all of the people she managed. That might have something to do with the caliber of the teams though.

This is a pretty tough topic. The list of managers named is good and Jake's addition of Sunny is well taken. I have 2 that stick out in my mind as great managers:

Francine - The Queen of Extreme. The Head Cheerleader. Shane Douglas was one of the biggest names in ECW and he cannot be mentioned without included Francine. She was simply fantastic. So much so that she was given a spot of her own in most of Shane's matches. She interacted well with the crowd and played her vixen character extremely well.

Bill Alfonso - My personal pick for the greatest manager of the 90's. I would also include Fonzie in the the Top 5 managers of all time. He managed some of the biggest names in ECW: Taz, RVD and Sabu. Fonzie was the leader of the orange and black attack and was instrumental in Taz's push to beyond stardom. Fonzie was also fabulous while leading RVD and Sabu in both tag team and singles competition. Fonzie was energentic (like the energizer bunny on crack), smart and completely annoying. But you gotta love him, daddy.

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
Managed Mr. Perfect as IC champ. Collosal Connection as a tag team. Was with Ric FlAir as WWF Champ. Hell he had a whole family named after him, The Heenan Family. Plus have you ever heard him in interviews or commentating back then he was absolutely hillarious. I wish a commentator now-a-days was like that.

RVDGurl, I had Alfie on the original list, but too much of his real managerial experience came in 2000 and on. He was a dynamic individual and a great talent for his role (though he was a blatant rip off of "Coach" who used to manage Mr. Perfect) but I couldn't look at the entire body of work - only the 1990's.

KennyG, if this were a "Greatest Manager of All Time" thread, I'd be with you 100%. Heenan retired from managing in 1991, serving only as Ric Flair's "Financial Consultant" from 1992 - 1993. He was a full-time commentator by the 1990's, so I couldn't include him on the list either.

Jake, good call with Sunny. She was a female Jimmy Hart in terms of success with Tag Teams.

wheres paul bearer??????? He is in my opinion the greatest manager ever!!!! He helped get both the undertaker and kane over(although they didnt really need help) still i believe he should be in the hall of fame one day. I still watch tapes of him and it gives me chills every time he laughs.

As always with B.O.T.N., if your choice isn't one of the nine listed, 1) I don't give a damn. I only get 9 slots and these are the first I think of. So don't whine.

Meh, I don't care, I feel like whining...

9. Ralphus. I am a biased Chris Jericho fan, so piss off.

Ralphus? Who? How can you put someone so insignificant in this poll and leave out one of the best managers of the 90's, Paul Bearer? He was the first person that came to my mind when I saw the name of this thread.

You said it yourself, you're biased. And although this best of the 90's series was a great idea, I feel that your tendency to be biased in your options for these polls takes away a lot of their merit. Maybe I'm being fussy, but that's just how I feel. For example, in the best matches thread, you left out Hart/HBK AND Hart/Austin. If any of those were in that poll, I'm pretty sure it would have got the most votes.

Anyway, back on topic, Paul Bearer or Sherri Martel wins it for me. Bearer was awesome as Undertaker's manager, the promos they did together were always entertaining. And as for Sherri, I loved her as Macho King Randy Savage's Queen, they fitted together so well. She was also great as HBK's manager. She could have great chemistry with whoever she managed.

Meh, I don't care, I feel like whining...

Ralphus? Who? How can you put someone so insignificant in this poll and leave out one of the best managers of the 90's, Paul Bearer? He was the first person that came to my mind when I saw the name of this thread.

You said it yourself, you're biased. And although this best of the 90's series was a great idea, I feel that your tendency to be biased in your options for these polls takes away a lot of their merit. Maybe I'm being fussy, but that's just how I feel. For example, in the best matches thread, you left out Hart/HBK AND Hart/Austin. If any of those were in that poll, I'm pretty sure it would have got the most votes.

Anyway, back on topic, Paul Bearer or Sherri Martel wins it for me. Bearer was awesome as Undertaker's manager, the promos they did together were always entertaining. And as for Sherri, I loved her as Macho King Randy Savage's Queen, they fitted together so well. She was also great as HBK's manager. She could have great chemistry with whoever she managed.

Well <sob> <sob>. Shayx returns after a 2 month lay off that nobody noticed to critique my work. Lucky me!

Ralphus was included for fun. That's it. Try having some fun instead of complaining. Too many people complain anyway. Folks will make a good case for Paul Bearer, and with the "other" option I've more than made that possible. At least I admit I'm biased. I don't need some Bret Hart groupie marking out on the matches list either. Like I say every time, I set the table. Speaking of merit, you taking more time out to complain about my thread rather than making your point on your vote detracts from your post.

Paul Bearer managed 2 men. He was the perfect manager for one of them. He rode Taker to a potential future HOF bid. A case can absolutely be made for Paul Bearer.

didn't Paul Bearer manage 3 people? We can't forget the one he left UT for... Mankind.

As for my opinion, I think Jim Cornette may have been the best manager in the 90s. He managed people like Mantaur who went nowhere fast to legends like the British Bulldog, Owen Hart and Yokozuna. He had a wide variety of wrestlers, both singles and tag teams.

Jimmy Hart is up there as well, he was a great tag team manager but seemed to only have major success as a singles wrestler's manager with Hulk Hogan.

Cornette seemed more well rounded with both singles and tag team champs under his wing (even though 2 of those tag team champs were not WWE champs, yet they had the belts with them in WWE).

Trying to remember, The Heavenly Bodies were Smokey Mountain tag champs, the New Midnight Express were....? Was it NWA?

Well <sob> <sob>. Shayx returns after a 2 month lay off that nobody noticed to critique my work. Lucky me!

Do I care if nobody noticed my 2 month (or however long) absence from posting? Absolutely not. I regularly come on these forums, mainly to read the threads, and if I can be arsed, an occasional post.

I don't need some Bret Hart groupie marking out on the matches list either. Like I say every time, I set the table. Speaking of merit, you taking more time out to complain about my thread rather than making your point on your vote detracts from your post.

Was there any need to start insulting me? Obviously to you there was, because I said something you didn't like, and now you want to make me look like an idiot. Do you know how childish that makes you look? All I did was voice an opinion, in a completely respectful way. It's just too bad you don't like it.

didn't Paul Bearer manage 3 people? We can't forget the one he left UT for... Mankind.

As for my opinion, I think Jim Cornette may have been the best manager in the 90s. He managed people like Mantaur who went nowhere fast to legends like the British Bulldog, Owen Hart and Yokozuna. He had a wide variety of wrestlers, both singles and tag teams.

Jimmy Hart is up there as well, he was a great tag team manager but seemed to only have major success as a singles wrestler's manager with Hulk Hogan.

Cornette seemed more well rounded with both singles and tag team champs under his wing (even though 2 of those tag team champs were not WWE champs, yet they had the belts with them in WWE).

Trying to remember, The Heavenly Bodies were Smokey Mountain tag champs, the New Midnight Express were....? Was it NWA?

Great post, I totally forgot about Bearer managing Mankind! It's definately fair to say Bearer has a place in The Best of the 90's. I also applaud (and green rep) you for presenting that point in a mature, respectful manner.

I am inclined to agree with you about Cornette, though I expect to see a lot of votes go to Martel and Bearer (in the form of the "other" column). Until I took the time to research this thread, I'd forgotten how many greats the like of Cornette and Elering managed. Wth the excepton of JJ Dillon, Lou Albano, Freddie Blassi, and Bobby Heenan, the list from the 90's reads like a Who's Who of managers.

One thing I just realized is the lack of managers. In this current decade, managers in the WWE are getting less and less. Estrada, in my opinion, was great for Umaga. If they brought in a repackaged Rosey with another Umaga-type gimmick (which could be an awful thing), they could've had Estrada manage the two, and not necessarily in tag matches. What ever happened to allies that didn't become tag teams? Anyhow, Estrada could've been a great manager, not a stinkin ECW G.M.

What about these awful Divas they bring in? Sunny didn't really wrestle, she was excellent eye candy at the ring, which distracted her wrestler's opponents. Sunny was, if not, the best woman-manager. She had plenty of success, mainly with tag teams. Extreme Expose won't be with Miz for another month- I'd put money on that. They don't count.

Give someone crappy at mic skills (like Bobby Lashley) a manager who can work the mic. Give someone success with that manager, then twist the storylines up and have that manager turn on their client. Yea, it's been done countless times before, but it's something we really haven't seen much in the last 10 years or so. It added excitement and shock value to the product.

Sorry to get off topic! It just ticked me off thinking about it. Bring back James E. with his tennis racket!

RVDGurl, I had Alfie on the original list, but too much of his real managerial experience came in 2000 and on. He was a dynamic individual and a great talent for his role (though he was a blatant rip off of "Coach" who used to manage Mr. Perfect) but I couldn't look at the entire body of work - only the 1990's.

IC, babe... all of Fonzie's really good shit was done between '96 and '99. All the orange and black attack with Taz and the RVD/Sabu stuff. It's really neither here nor there. You have put together a good list and I usually have a different opinion then the main stream stuff anyway! I do, however, appreciate that Francine made your list. :)

I voted for Jimmy Hart he was incredible...and he used to compose much of the theme songs in the wwf/wcw before they bought them off of bands.

The first guy that came to my mind was also Bill Alfonso. Him with the whistle and always having the chairs ready in front of opponents faces waiting for sick drop kicks NEVER got old. And not to mention RVD and Sabu were two of the most exciting wrestlers in the 90's.

I really enjoyed Paul Heyman doing the dangerous alliance. I enjoyed the faction more than anything, everyone in the stable was a class act technical wrestler. Beautiful Bobby Eaton goes down as a very wasted talent.

Also Mr. Fuji gets my vote, him managing Yokozuna was a perfect combination and Fuji with the sand in the eyes was always plausible fubar. He was like Mr. Miyagi's Wario to Super Mario.

I think Slick should be a candidate. I laugh at old interviews of him putting over Akeem the African Dream. He was a good mouth piece for some of the low card wresters in the late 80s early 90s.

Bill Alfonso was the GREATEST MANAGER EVER! When Taz turned, he was great! Then to turn on Taz to go with Sabu! AWSOME!!!!! And don't forget, Alfonso also Managed Sabu to world titles, AND Managed RVD and Sabu to Tag-team titles, and RVD to the TV title WELL he was a tag-taem champ! He also had a great match with Beulah! So much blood! And the Jerry Lawler Invasion angle was probable the greatest thing I have ever seen, besides the Screw Job on Hart! Bill Alfonso is the man! Bill Alfonso, Bill Alfonso, Bill Alfonso.

But since he did not make your silly little list, i'll go with Francine. Started with Richards, Then the Pit-bulls, and then takes Douglas to a whole new level. On your list, (The Love of My Life[besides RVDgurl])Francine, but we all know Bill Alfonso was the MAN!

I'm Bill Alfonso! And I don't need any introduction!

You forgot Teddy Long. As the manager of Doom he was awesome. Unfortunately, for him everybody else he managed was nowhere to being in Doom's league.

Bill Alfonso had so much heat with the ECW fans in 1996 that he had to be sneaked in and out of the arena in Philly because he just irritated fans to the point they really wanted to kick his ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back