The 2010 MLB All Star Game

Theo Mays

Part Time Poster
Happy 4th of July Sports Stadium and season ticket holders. Today is the day of our independence, the day of the ever so awesome hot dog eating contest, and the day that Major League Baseball announced their 2010 All Star Game rosters. Below are the rosters selected by managers Charlie Manuel (Phillies) and Joe Girardi (Yankees).

NL Starters
C-Yadier Molina (Cards)
1B-Albert Pujols (Cards)
2B-Chase Utley (Phillies)
3B-David Wright (Mets)
SS-Hanley Ramirez (Marlins)
OF-Ryan Braun (Brewers), Andre Ethier (Dodgers), Jayson Heyward (Braves)

NL Reserves
C-Brian McCann (Braves)
1B-Adrian Gonzalez (Padres), Ryan Howard (Phillies)
2B-Martin Prado (Braves) *Will replace Utley as starter
3B-Scott Rolen (Reds)
SS-Omar Infante (Braves), Jose Reyes (Mets)
OF-Matt Holliday (Cards), Marlon Byrd (Cubs), Corey Hart (Brewers), Michael Bourn (Astros), Chris Young (D'Backs)

NL Pitchers
Roy Halladay (Phillies), Ubaldo Jimenez (Rockies), Josh Johnson (Marlins), Tim Lincecum (Giants), Yovani Gallardo (Brewers), Adam Wainwright (Cards), Chris Carpenter (Cards), Tim Hudson (Braves), Evan Meek (Pirates), Arthur Rhodes (Reds), Matt Capps (Nats), Jonathan Broxton (Dodgers), Brian Wilson (Giants)

AL Starters
C-Joe Mauer (Twins)
1B-Justin Morneau (Twins)
2B-Robinson Cano (Yankees)
3B-Evan Longoria (Rays)
SS-Derek Jeter (Yankees)
OF-Ichiro (Mariners), Josh Hamilton (Rangers), Carl Crawford (Rays)

AL Reserves
C-John Buck (Blue Jays)
1B-Miguel Cabrera (Tigers), David Ortiz (Red Sox)
2B-Ian Kinsler (Rangers), Ty Wigginton (Orioles)
3B-Alex Rodriguez (Yankees), Adrian Beltre (Red Sox)
SS-Elvis Andrus (Rangers)
OF-Vernon Wells (Blue Jays), Jose Bautista (Blue Jays), Torii Hunter (Angels)

AL Pitchers
CC Sabathia (Yankees), David Price (Rays), Fausto Carmona (Indians), Clay Buchholz (Red Sox), Phil Hughes (Yankees), Jon Lester (Red Sox), Trevor Cahill (A's), Cliff Lee (Mariners), Mariano Rivera (Yankees), Jose Valverde (Tigers), Matt Thornton (White Sox), Joakim Soria (Royals), Neftali Feliz (Rangers)

And then of course there are the final vote guys for the last roster spot:

NL Final Vote
1B Joey Votto (Reds), RP Heath Bell (Padres), OF Carlos Gonzalez (Rockies), RP Billy Wagner (Braves), 3B Ryan Zimmerman (Nats)

AL Final Vote
1B Paul Konerko, OF Nick Swisher (Yankees), 3B Kevin Youkilis (Red Sox), 3B Michael Young (Rangers), OF Delmon Young (Twins)

Now I ask of you this:

1. What players got the famous "snub"? As in, what players deserved to be an All Star, but failed to make the team. Please explain why you think this.

2. With above snub, which player should they have replaced on the roster?

3. Which player on the team least deserves the honor of an All Star? (Remember, each team must have a rep, so the teams with just one rep can't be replaced due to that fact)

4. Finally, of the guys on the Final Vote, who would you give the honor to and why?

So have at it season ticket holders, whatcha think? After a few replies I'll give my thoughts, just so this post isn't a word fort of sorts.

1. What players got the famous "snub"? As in, what players deserved to be an All Star, but failed to make the team. Please explain why you think this.

Andy Pettitte. The guy is having a great season. He's 10-2 with a 2.82 ERA. It's one of the best seasons he's had in a career full of good seasons. 12 out of his 16 starts have been quality starts as he has just been getting the job done.

C.C Sabathia. He also has 10 wins, but has another loss, and a 3.33 ERA. The thing that C.C has over Pettitte is that he eats up more innings. Other than that, I think Andy deserves it more than C.C this year.
3. Which player on the team least deserves the honor of an All Star? (Remember, each team must have a rep, so the teams with just one rep can't be replaced due to that fact)

A-Rod. He's only hitting .278 and only has 12 HRs. He is third in the league in RBIs, but the season he is having just doesnt scream out All Star. Maybe I'm just used to him doing better, but this is definitely not one of his better years and there are other guys, such as the ones on the final vote, that could take his spot.
4. Finally, of the guys on the Final Vote, who would you give the honor to and why?

Obviously, I'm pulling for Swisher. He is having one of his best seasons and I think he deserves a spot on the team. Not to mention, how much fun a guy like him would have during all star weekend. Konerko and M. Young are also very deserving and I wouldnt be upset at all if either of them made it.

All Yankees. Who would've guessed?

Happy 4th of July Sports Stadium and season ticket holders. Today is the day of our independence, the day of the ever so awesome hot dog eating contest, and the day that Major League Baseball announced their 2010 All Star Game rosters. Below are the rosters selected by managers Charlie Manuel (Phillies) and Joe Girardi (Yankees).
The starters are selected by the fans, and 8 of the pitchers and a couple reserves are selected by player balloting. Not all the reserves are chosen by the Managers. For me, if a player is chosen by the Fans, then they deserve to be there, and cannot be replaced, unless they are unable to play.

Now I ask of you this:

In the NL, there is one guy who is a 100% snub, and I can't see how he didn't make the All Star team on initial voting. Mets pitcher Mike Pelfrey has been nothing short of awesome all year, and there are a few pitchers who don't belong. Arthur Rhodes doesn't belong 100 miles of any All Star Game. This may be slightly bias, because in my entire life, I have never once seen Arthur Rhodes come into a game and get the job done (and I've seen him pitch a lot). Also, I would rather have seen Pelfrey in the game over Tim Hudson.

In the AL, I cannot believe that Andy Pettitte did not make the team, but as I said in the Sports Bar, he will most likely be added for one of the pitchers unable to pitch in the game (likely CC Sabathia). I also cannot really name a single pitcher who doesn't belong in this game that Pettitte can replace.

On the AL, and this pains me to say it, but Alex Rodriguez is the least deserving to be there. I cannot think of another 3rd Baseman who deserves to be in the game, and Alex gets in based on name, and Joe Girardi (as he should) said he was breaking ties based on players he knows better, and obviously he knows A-Rod.

I am supporting Nick Swisher for the AL Final Vote, and I am yet to decide who should go in the NL, although I will likely go with Heath Bell. Nick Swisher (besides being my favorite player on my favorite team) has been having a hell of a good year, and has yet to get into an All Star Game, which tips the vote in his favor for me.

Lots of really deserving guys not making it. Joey Votto is arguably the MVP of the NL up to this point and doesn't even make the team? Huh? He leads the league in OPS and is in the top 5 or thereabouts in all of the Triple Crown categories. Certainly having a better year than Howard.

Miguel Olivo needs to make it as well, as he's clearly been the best catcher in the NL this year. Yadier Molina is hitting something like .230. Shouldn't be near the all star game, let alone starting.

Felix Hernandez and Jered Weaver are two guys who had to be on the AL team. Possibly the two best American League pitchers this year. At least one of them, and likely both, deserve to make it. Get rid of CC and Bucholz.

Overall, it's definetly a very flawed system with so many really deserving players getting left off. In a game that means so much (home field in Game 7 of the World Series), shouldn't it be all about getting the right guys there? They may need to get rid of fan and or player voting to make it right.

As for the final vote guys, I'd say Votto and Konerko would be the right choices.

Also, congrats to Evan Meek on making the team. Never thought this was possible when he came in as a Rule 5 guy, but he's worked to become one of the best relievers in baseball. Go Buccos!

Wagner and Bell have been one of the more dominant closers this year, from what I've seen, and Votto has had a career season. It's a shame that not all 3 will make the team. But at least they made the final vote, unlike Matt Latos of the Padres, who has been absolutely beastly this year. 9-4 2.62 ERA .96 WHIP. That's ridiculously great. King Felix deserves to be in as well, as does Michael Young.

Yadier Molina has been garbage, so just toss him out and put in Latos. One other would be put on by final vote, with Bell going over Votto & Wagner. Votto over Howard, since he's played better then Howard throughout the season. Wagner for maybe Lincecum, as Tim hasn't been lights out all-star worthy like he was the past two seasons. As for Felix, CC. Young for A-Rod

A-Rod, who's getting there on name value for the most part. Michael Young definately has been better then A-Rod this season.

Votto & Michael Young, who are both having better seasons then guys who were picked at their respective positions (Howard & A-Rod).

As for Felix, CC.
Felix Hernandez: 6-5 (17 starts); 3.03 ERA; 121.2 IP; plays in a shit division on a shit team
CC Sabathia: 10-3 (17 starts); 3.33 ERA; 116.1 IP; plays in a hugely tough division on the best team in the league.

I fail to see how CC doesn't belong. can you point it out for me? You never did in your OP, you just said he doesn't. I can assume it's because you are (admittedly) an anti-New York fan. I won't say Felix doesn't belong, because he is having a great year, but to knock off CC is just wrong, considering he is having a great year too.

A-Rod, who's getting there on name value for the most part. Michael Young definately has been better then A-Rod this season.
A-Rods numbers are pretty much identical to Young's, and Young has played in 6 more games then A-Rod. The only advantage for Young is in the batting average, but On Base %, Slugging %, and OPS are both close to identical. While Young is outhitting A-Rod, A-Rod is getting on base at the same pace, and Young leads the league in At Bats. Also, Alex is out-RBIing Young, in 6 less games.

Also, in A-Rods case, Joe Girardi said that if he felt it was a tie between 2 people, he was going with the guy he knows better, which is logical. He knows A-Rod, and not Young, so he made the right choice. Young is still alive in the Final Vote (he will likely lose to Swisher or Youk, but you never know). Also a big point, as you stated, is name value. Nobody cares about Michael Young, besides his family and Ranger fans. A-Rod is probably the biggest name in baseball right now (or #2 behind Jeter). That, I'm sorry to say, means a whole hell of a lot for this exhibition game.

Felix Hernandez: 6-5 (17 starts); 3.03 ERA; 121.2 IP; plays in a shit division on a shit team
CC Sabathia: 10-3 (17 starts); 3.33 ERA; 116.1 IP; plays in a hugely tough division on the best team in the league.

I fail to see how CC doesn't belong. can you point it out for me? You never did in your OP, you just said he doesn't. I can assume it's because you are (admittedly) an anti-New York fan. I won't say Felix doesn't belong, because he is having a great year, but to knock off CC is just wrong, considering he is having a great year too.

W-L record is quite a misleading stat, considering that CC has had 2 more runs scored (on average) per start then has Felix. Felix can't bat too. Fact is Felix has been a more dominant pitcher then CC this season. Hell Pettite should be in over him too.

A-Rods numbers are pretty much identical to Young's, and Young has played in 6 more games then A-Rod. The only advantage for Young is in the batting average, but On Base %, Slugging %, and OPS are both close to identical. While Young is outhitting A-Rod, A-Rod is getting on base at the same pace, and Young leads the league in At Bats. Also, Alex is out-RBIing Young, in 6 less games.

Young has a higher average by .032 points, which is quite a lot. Young bats in the #2 spot normally, while A-Rod bats in the #4, so of course he's gonna have more RBI's, although it's not by much. Besides you yourself said that A-Rod is the least deserving to be there, and Young has been underrated throughout the season.

Also a big point, as you stated, is name value. Nobody cares about Michael Young, besides his family and Ranger fans. A-Rod is probably the biggest name in baseball right now (or #2 behind Jeter). That, I'm sorry to say, means a whole hell of a lot for this exhibition game.

That's a ridiculous statement. If your gonna go just based on name value alone, then Stephen Strasburg should be involved in the All-Star Game. All of his starts have been televised nationally. He's the biggest name in baseball right now. It works both ways.

1. The biggest snub to me for the NL is Joey Votto. The guy has been playing lights out this year and has arguably been the best first baseman in the NL. While Big RH is a Phillie, Votto really should have made it in over him. The guy in the AL who I think is the biggest snub has to be Jered Weaver. The guy has been ridiculous this year. He is 8-3, leads the league in strikeouts and has one of the top ERA at 2.82 (though ERA can be a bit misleading). I would even say Weaver is the best pitcher not to make the team.

2. Like I mentioned in the first question, Votto should replace Howard as one of the backup first basemen and Weaver I'd say should go in for CC Sabathia since he won't be pitching in the game due to pitching the Sunday prior.

3. I'm going with Jose Bautista as the least deserving AL player. Yes he has 21 homers, but he is batting at a whopping .229 and there are better players like the guys on the final vote who I would have put in over him. As for the NL I'd have to say Arthur Rhodes. Yeah the guy is a decent late reliever, but he isn't really an all star quality player. A guy like Tyler Clippard or even Rhodes teammate, Francisco Cordero could have taken that spot.

4. Finally I'll probably be backing Swisher or Young when it comes to the AL final vote. They are in need of an OF with only three off the bench. For the NL I'll take Votto. I love Zimmerman, but I believe he has been to an All Star game and Votto is at one of the deepest positions, so it will be tougher for him to get there in the future. Plus he should already be there as we speak.

That's a ridiculous statement. If your gonna go just based on name value alone, then Stephen Strasburg should be involved in the All-Star Game. All of his starts have been televised nationally. He's the biggest name in baseball right now. It works both ways.

Not necessarily.

Alex Rodriguez is a respected veteran of the game. It's almost an automatic that he makes it. The other players understand that and have plenty of respect for the great, hall of fame years he has had. And while its not a "no biggie" type of deal that he makes it without an all star season, they dont make a big deal out of it. For example, Cal Ripken Jr.

Strasburg is just a rookie. Hell, I'm not even sure if he qualifies for ROTY yet. To snub someone for the name value of a rookie is disrespectful to the veterans who are having all star seasons.

Not necessarily.

Alex Rodriguez is a respected veteran of the game. It's almost an automatic that he makes it. The other players understand that and have plenty of respect for the great, hall of fame years he has had. And while its not a "no biggie" type of deal that he makes it without an all star season, they dont make a big deal out of it. For example, Cal Ripken Jr.

Strasburg is just a rookie. Hell, I'm not even sure if he qualifies for ROTY yet. To snub someone for the name value of a rookie is disrespectful to the veterans who are having all star seasons.

But the ASG isn't a lifetime achievement award. It isn't about who has the best career stats. It's about who is having the best first half of the season, and A-Rod definately isn't, at least for 3rd basemen. I know Rodriguez is a great player, but you just don't give him the benefit of the doubt since it's A-Rod. It should be a clean slate for everyone involved.

And it's not like Young hasn't been to the ASG before, either. He's made it 6 years in a row and was the 2006 ASG MVP, so he isn't a joe schmo here. If he keeps his pace up for 6-7 more years he could reach 3000 hits. He's one of the most underrated players in the game just because he's in a small market.

As for Strasburg, I was just making a point. While I do believe that he deserves to be in the ASG, stormtrooper made it sound like A-Rod should be in over Young 'because he's a bigger star' which is ridiculous. If that's the case, Strasburg should be in over someone like Matt Capps, someone that 95% of people don't know what team he is even on.

But the ASG isn't a lifetime achievement award. It isn't about who has the best career stats. It's about who is having the best first half of the season, and A-Rod definately isn't, at least for 3rd basemen. I know Rodriguez is a great player, but you just don't give him the benefit of the doubt since it's A-Rod. It should be a clean slate for everyone involved.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If this was called the "All Players-who-had-awesome-first-halves Game" then Young should be in. And I did show that while A-Rod may be having a down year (for his lofty standards), he is having a good year, one comparable to Young.

And it's not like Young hasn't been to the ASG before, either. He's made it 6 years in a row and was the 2006 ASG MVP, so he isn't a joe schmo here. If he keeps his pace up for 6-7 more years he could reach 3000 hits. He's one of the most underrated players in the game just because he's in a small market.
1. Compared to A-Rod, every other player not named Jeter is a Joe Schmo, because they all don't have the notoriety of A-Rod.
2. Lets see him keep it up for 6 more years. His numbers have declined in the past 3 or 4 years. He is underrated yes, but he isn't NEAR the level of a guy like A-Rod. Michael Young's numbers.

As for Strasburg, I was just making a point. While I do believe that he deserves to be in the ASG, stormtrooper made it sound like A-Rod should be in over Young 'because he's a bigger star' which is ridiculous. If that's the case, Strasburg should be in over someone like Matt Capps, someone that 95% of people don't know what team he is even on.

1. What I was trying to say was that when the cases were equal, the bigger name guy should go in. People aren't tuning in to see Michael Young, because nobody cares about him. People tune in to see A-Rod.
2. You're acting like Strasburg is on the same stratosphere as A-Rod. Strasburg isn't a pimple on the fanny of A-Rod. A-Rod has proven time and again that he is an All Star player, and in terms of off-field notoriety (and hitting the baseball over the fence), he is this generations Babe Ruth. Non-fans don't know who the hell Young is, hell they don't even know who Strasburg is. Strasburg hasn't proven shit in the big leagues.
3. Strasburg has not had a great year, he has had a few great starts (and a couple so-so ones too). In 2 of his starts, he failed to go 6 innings. Sure he strikes a lot of guys out, big whoop. After his 3rd start, he's been 0-2 with a 3.12 ERA, so it's not like he's been lighting up the world after his first couple starts (hell, even his second start wasn't all that great, he only went 5.1 innings). Just because he has all the hype in the universe doesn't mean he should be an All Star.
5. You're making the same case for Strasburg that you claim I'm making for A-Rod. Strasburg's numbers DO NOT WARRANT HIM BEING IN THE ALL STAR GAME. It's as simple as that. You want him in for the "name value" (which isn't really there) just like you say I want A-Rod in for the name value.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If this was called the "All Players-who-had-awesome-first-halves Game" then Young should be in. And I did show that while A-Rod may be having a down year (for his lofty standards), he is having a good year, one comparable to Young.

Isn't that what the ASG is about? Awarding players who have had great starts to the season being named All-Stars? If that's the case, Young should be in over A-Rod, even if his numbers are only slightly better.

1. Compared to A-Rod, every other player not named Jeter is a Joe Schmo, because they all don't have the notoriety of A-Rod.
2. Lets see him keep it up for 6 more years. His numbers have declined in the past 3 or 4 years. He is underrated yes, but he isn't NEAR the level of a guy like A-Rod. Michael Young's numbers.

I know he's not 10000x as famous as A-Rod. But the ASG shouldn't be a popularity contest. It should award the players who've played the best so far this season.

And he's been fairly consistent since like 2003. Even last year when he missed almost 30 games, he still had over 170 hits, which is damn good. This'll only be his 9th full season, so he still has enough in the tank, imo, to get 3000.

1. What I was trying to say was that when the cases were equal, the bigger name guy should go in. People aren't tuning in to see Michael Young, because nobody cares about him. People tune in to see A-Rod.

2. You're acting like Strasburg is on the same stratosphere as A-Rod. Strasburg isn't a pimple on the fanny of A-Rod. A-Rod has proven time and again that he is an All Star player, and in terms of off-field notoriety (and hitting the baseball over the fence), he is this generations Babe Ruth. Non-fans don't know who the hell Young is, hell they don't even know who Strasburg is. Strasburg hasn't proven shit in the big leagues.

I never said that. But all of Strasburg's starts have been shown on NATIONAL TELEVISION. MLB Network showed his 1st, 3rd, and 4th starts. TBS showed his 2nd. ESPN showed his fifth and broadcasted parts of his MINOR LEAGUE starts. And FOX just showed his most recent one. He's been featured in Sports Illustrated a few times. He's been the most hyped pitcher ever. Strasburg's fame has some legs. Not nearly as big as A-Rod, but there are Non-fanst that know him.

3. Strasburg has not had a great year, he has had a few great starts (and a couple so-so ones too). In 2 of his starts, he failed to go 6 innings. Sure he strikes a lot of guys out, big whoop. After his 3rd start, he's been 0-2 with a 3.12 ERA, so it's not like he's been lighting up the world after his first couple starts (hell, even his second start wasn't all that great, he only went 5.1 innings). Just because he has all the hype in the universe doesn't mean he should be an All Star.

He's only 2-2, but his ERA is only 2.45. Batters are hitting .215 against him. He has 53 strikeouts to only 10 walks. He's averaged 6 IP a game. 4 of his 6 starts were quality starts. Twice he's held a team to under 2 runs yet didn't get a win b/c the Nationals offense is piss-poor. His two losses they didn't even score a run. If he continues this there's no doubt he's gonna be ROTY, even if he's missed a handful of starts b/c he started late.

I don't have too many gripes about the all star teams but the one I do have is Joey Votto not being there. He is having an MVP like season and is currently carrying a Reds team that isn't that good, to the division lead. The guy is in the top 5 in all three triple crown categories and and he is 2nd in the NL in both slugging percentage and on base percentage. Votto not making the team would be criminal. Hopefully the fans vote him into the last spot.

I know he has a bad record, but Roy Oswalt deserves to be an all star this year. He is having a great season and if the Astros could give him any support he could easily be 12-4 instead of 5-10. Unfortunately most people see 5-10 and don’t look any further. This would be understandable if it was up to the fans, but Charlie Manuel should know better. This is especially disappointing since the Astros don’t have any other all stars. Oswalt should make it regardless of the rule stating every team needs a representative, but it becomes even more obvious considering the lack of talent on the Astros this year. I would take Evan Meek off the team and replace him with Oswalt. Then since the Pirates would need a representative Andrew McCutchen could replace Michael Bourn. Also Billy Wagner should be on the team instead of Arthur Rhodes. As for the final vote, it clearly belongs to Joey Votto. He should have already made the team.

As for the AL I think Alex Rios is the biggest snub and should replace Matt Thornton as the White Sox representative. I think the Sox should have more than one representative as Konerko deserves the final vote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back