Tag-Teams you remember but...

shafe_41

DON'T HINDER JINDER
Now everybody name 3 tag-teams that you remember, but never were serious contenders for any tag-team gold. Basically, name 1-3 tag teams you remember from your wrestling watching history, and what you remember about them and why.

1.) The Beverley Brothers- these somewhat twins from the WWE donned long purple tight pants and wore shiny purple capes to the ring (at least from what I remember). I remember these guys for one reason. They were the first tag team I saw on the show WWE actually had on Monday Nights before it even became Monday Night Raw. (if anyone can remember the name of that show, unless it was unnamed and was just "wwf wrestling," throw it in ur response please.) I had this 2 hour episode recorded on tape and watched it over and over when I was little. Not sure why they are the only ones that still stand out to me to this day.

2.) Techno Team 2000- These guys were like a London and Kendrick tag team that debuted on RAW and disappeared just as fast as they arrived. That has to be one of the worst names for a team that I have ever heard which is why it sticks so well.

3. The Heavenly Bodies- Dr. Tom Prichard and the Gigolo Jimmy Del Ray. Again, I was little and it was hilarious to me whenever Del Ray did that thing with his stomach like Mike Myers does in Wayne's World. Another awesomely bad name for a tag team and that's why that sticks so well too. These guys were actually pretty good in the ring too from what I can recall.

I'll start with the Bolsheviks. Nikolai Volkoff and Boris Zukhov. These two were perfect in that they were given the Soviet gimmick and were just plain hateable. The cold war was in its dying days, but the gimmick still worked like a charm. Never actually remember them winning a match however.

Continuing with The Patriots. These guys were in WCW around 1990-91 and actually won the US Tag Team Titles. However, they were given a shot or two at the world tag titles and always got the asses handed to them. Todd Champion and Firebreaker Chip. For some reason I was a mark for them, but for the life of me I don't know why. I've seen a few of their matches sicne then, and they're so green in WCW its unbelievable.

Finally, the Bushwackers. Not the Sheepherders, but the Bushwackers. These guys are right up there with the Rockers as an overrated team. Pure comedy, but comedy that worked pretty well I thought. The battering ram was always fun, and one of them licked my face once at a house show. They were never meant to be taken seriously and they weren't, but they were fun nonetheless.

1...The Mulkey Brothers, Randy and Bill, perhaps the most recognizable jobbers in the history of NWA. Followed up by....

2...Thunderfoot 1&2

3...The Killer Bees. "Jumpin'" Jim Brunzell and B. Brian Blair. Great gimmick, but relegated to squash matches against Sheik/Volkoff and Muraco/Orton Sr.

Honorable Mention...The New Breed, Chris Champion and Sean Royal, complete with the futuristic cast on one of them's wrist with the blinking lights, claiming that in the year they come from, Dusty Rhodes is president.

I've ammended this slightly, you ask for teams which were never serious contenders for the titles, here I've chosen a team who never officially won it, although arguably were serious contenders.

The Rockers were, in my opinion, the team who brought us the likes of the Dudleys, Hardys and Edge and Christian - the teams on top when the Tag Division was at it's strongest. Shawn and Marty were the first etam in the WWE to work together, and synchronise moves, as well as tage advantage of the short time 2 wrestlers from a team were allowed in the ring at the same time.

They never officially won the title, as I believe McMahon didn't fully trust this type of tag wrestling. However, I think with the teams we see today he has been proved wrong - would they even be here if it wasn't for The Rockers? If they were a team today they'd be top of that division, without a doubt.

The Rockers were, in my opinion, the team who brought us the likes of the Dudleys, Hardys and Edge and Christian -

Eh? I'll give you The Hardyz. Both them and the Rockers were boring.

the teams on top when the Tag Division was at it's strongest.

Eh? The tag division wasn't strong when Edge/Christian, the Hardys & the Dudleyz were around. In fact, there were only three serious teams. It's just that those three put on some quality matches together. But the division overall was poor.

If you're on about the WWE tag division in the late 80's and early 90's, yes it was strong. Which is why the Rockers were near the bottom of it.

Shawn and Marty were the first etam in the WWE to work together, and synchronise moves, as well as tage advantage of the short time 2 wrestlers from a team were allowed in the ring at the same time.

Eh? No they weren't.

They never officially won the title, as I believe McMahon didn't fully trust this type of tag wrestling.

They never won the titles because there were better teams to put the title on. Hell, even the Hart Foundation were a better team to keep the titles on.

You don't get Vince McMahon changing his mind about titles often by just taking them off people.

However, I think with the teams we see today he has been proved wrong - would they even be here if it wasn't for The Rockers?

What exactly did the Rockers do? Oh yeah, they did high flying moves as a tag team. Hardly original though.

If they were a team today they'd be top of that division, without a doubt.

I don't know, Jesse & Festus are pretty popular.

Eh? I'll give you The Hardyz. Both them and the Rockers were boring.

Eh? The tag division wasn't strong when Edge/Christian, the Hardys & the Dudleyz were around. In fact, there were only three serious teams. It's just that those three put on some quality matches together. But the division overall was poor.

I disagree, the tag matches have never been as great as they were when those 3 teams were at the top - you'd think having them feud constantly would get old, but it never did. They had great matches which were always fresh, and the crowd loved it.

They never won the titles because there were better teams to put the title on. Hell, even the Hart Foundation were a better team to keep the titles on.

The Hart Foundation were good, you say this as if it was a bad thing.

What exactly did the Rockers do? Oh yeah, they did high flying moves as a tag team. Hardly original though.

If you watch most of the WWE tag matches from before this, what they did was different - you rarely if ever saw something such as what The Rockers would put on show.

Kai an Tai!!! What do I remember about them? Erm.. "Indeeeed", the 2000 Royal Rumble, and getting squashed on sunday night heat. That was about it. Oh, and Taker teaching Kane how to do the last ride using them as dummies. They were there purely to be beaten up and give the crowd some laughs.

They were the attitude era's comedy tag team jobbers. At least Too Cool won a title, which gives them the upperhand so can be labelled a comedy tag team without the job part.

I disagree, the tag matches have never been as great as they were when those 3 teams were at the top - you'd think having them feud constantly would get old, but it never did. They had great matches which were always fresh, and the crowd loved it.

Then but the 2nd Annual Survivor Series and see the wealth of teams they had in the late 80's.

The tag division has been shit since. Three teams don't make a division. It just so happens that they had great matches. If they'd had ladder matches as often in the mid 90's then maybe we'd be talking about how great The Smoking Guns & Body Donnas were.

The Hart Foundation were good, you say this as if it was a bad thing.

I mean that instead of putting the title on the Rockers. They reversed the title change and put them on a team that had nothing left to do together.

If you watch most of the WWE tag matches from before this, what they did was different - you rarely if ever saw something such as what The Rockers would put on show.

Yeah you would. Dropkicks? Yup. Flying cross bodies? You got it.

The Rockers just merged moves from other teams.

Then but the 2nd Annual Survivor Series and see the wealth of teams they had in the late 80's.

The tag division has been shit since. Three teams don't make a division. It just so happens that they had great matches. If they'd had ladder matches as often in the mid 90's then maybe we'd be talking about how great The Smoking Guns & Body Donnas were.

Which I would argue is the most important thing - there weren't any bad matches. All 6 of the men involved were great, and I don't think it had that much to do with the ladder match, although that did give them something extra.

I mean that instead of putting the title on the Rockers. They reversed the title change and put them on a team that had nothing left to do together.

Basically because McMahon didn't trust The Rockers, for whatever reason.

Yeah you would. Dropkicks? Yup. Flying cross bodies? You got it.

The Rockers just merged moves from other teams.

The Rockers had a really different way of doing things, watching their matches was a change from watching others from before that time.

Which I would argue is the most important thing - there weren't any bad matches.

Really? Not seen any of the non-gimmick matches I take it.

All 6 of the men involved were great, and I don't think it had that much to do with the ladder match, although that did give them something extra.

The ladder matches are the only reason people look two of those teams fondly.

Basically because McMahon didn't trust The Rockers, for whatever reason.

Because they weren't good enough.

The Rockers had a really different way of doing things, watching their matches was a change from watching others from before that time.

No they didn't. They took a move off the Hart Foundation, one of The Killer Bees, two from the Can-Am Connection, several from the Young Stallions, and they put them all into their own move set.

They didn't do anything that people hadn't seen before as individual moves. They just put them into the context of a match. Matches where they invariably lost.

Some good shouts already. Incidentally, check out this match:Money Inc. vs. The Beverely Brothers. The Beverleys were decent workers weren't they?

I'll pick out some people haven't said yet:

1. The Orient Express, Sato and Tanaka were two light-heavyweight "Japanese" dudes managed by Mr. Fuji (later a masked wrestler called Kato replaced Sato). Some of their matches with The Rockers literally lit up the undercard. The ones from Wrestlemania VI and Royal Rumble 1991 being the two best probably. They were an excellent team, technically proficient, quick, well co-ordinated. Cool.

2. The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers, now these guys were kinda generic Canadian tweeners. They were often default faces or heels depending on who they were against. Both guys were very solid technically, good mat wrestlers. Raymond Rougeau was the one with the moustache who became a backstage interviewer later. Jacques went on to become The Mountie (won the IC title at one point) and to tag-title success as one half of The Quebecers with Pierre (Carl Ouelle).

3. Doug Furnas and Phil Lafon, these two had a very short run in WWF in 1996 and early 1997. Just go back and watch Survivor Series 1996 and check out Lafon's in-ring work. That dude was phenomenal. A really good looking worker, like Dean Malenko good.

I'm surprised no one has mentoned Head Cheese. Al Snow and Steve Blackman both had some minor success as singles wrestlers, but their time as a tag team was complete joke. To my recollection, they never even had a title shot.

Poor Al Snow. The New Rockers were also a tag team that went absolutely nowhere. It was a shit-poor gimmick, and no one considered them a threat to anybody. I best remember them getting squashed by Vader on a Thursday RAW.

The Islanders are another team that I don't think ever got a whiff of the belts. There was too many tag teams at the time, and they simply got buried. They feuded with other low-card teams, but didn't get a shot at the big boys like the Bulldogs or the Hart Foundation.

Here's a new one.

1: Well Dunn- Steven Well & Timothy Dunn. Cute play on the names but lame no matter how you look at it. I think these guys got a Iron Mike Sharpe type push. They won like two matches and then became jobbers. I just remember the stupid team name more than anything.

just a point of oreder the rockers were two time AWA world tag champs thats hardly doing nothing.

1. The New Midnight Express
2. Ryhtem and blues, Greg valentine and the Honkytonk Man
3. The twin towers, akeem and bossman

There are so many:

High Energy: Owen Hart and Koko B Ware wearing MC Hammer pj pants and trying to be the new Rockers

The New Foundation: No, not Bret's Anti-USA stable, but the short lived team of Owen and Jim The Anvil, complete with Owen's High Energy pj pants. Horrible.

The Allied Powers- Short lived tag team of Lex Luger and Davey Boy Smith. The perfect example of why two singles superstars should not be placed into a tag team just because there is nothing else for them to do.

The Powers of Pain- These guys should have won the gold from Demolition in the feud over Mr. Fuji. Pure power, great stuff.

Power and Glory- Paul Roma and Hercules? Yawn.

And a couple that have already been mentioned

The Orient Express- Probably my favorite heel team of the time. Did you know the guy under the mask was actually Steve Blackman? Orient Express indeed...

The Fabulous Rougeaus- The Rockers before The Rockers came into things. A great team, worked very solid matches, but were never big enough to win the gold.

The Rockers- to join this debate, the Rockers were never really close to tag team gold. Simply put, they were the Koko B Ware of the WWF tag team roster...great in the ring, entertaining, very popular with the kids (and ladies, probably unlike Koko), but essentially used as jobbers for the teams that Vince thought could make it. At least they were never pinned by Bobby Heenan, eh Koko?

Killer Bees and Bushwackers were my faves growing up as a kid

another thing here with this little tiff about the Rockers......

Mrs. KB.....your 17 years old? when did you watch the rockers? when you were 4?

The Orient Express- Probably my favorite heel team of the time. Did you know the guy under the mask was actually Steve Blackman? Orient Express indeed...

Um, no, I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Kato, the guy in the Orient Express with the mask, was Paul Diamond. Paul Diamond had teamed for several years prior with (Pat) Tanaka as the team Badd Company in both the CWA and the AWA. When they got to the AWA, they acquired a young Diamond Dallas Page as their manager, and won the AWA tag titles from the Midnight Rockers, who were about to jump back to WWF.

Tanaka first went to WWF as the Orient Express with (Akio) Sato. Then Sato left the company and they threw Diamond under the mask since they knew they would work as a team. After the Orient Express ended, Diamond took over the much maligned Max Moon gimmick before he left WWF to go to ECW and WCW, again as Badd Company with Tanaka.

I'm not sure where you heard/read/saw that Steve Blackman was Kato, but you should go correct whoever told you that. History lesson over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back