Tag Team Division dwindling down again

GeTiTT

Pre-Show Stalwart
With Gold & Stardust and Miz & Mizdow coming to an end the tag team division is again lacking actual tag teams. We are left with:

The Usos
Kidd&Cesaro
The Ascension
New Day
Los Matadores

with New Day not getting over one bit and with Los Matadores pretty much just being jobbers, that really leaves us with only 3 legit teams. I think WWE really needs to build up some strong teams and/or call up another team from NXT.

My thoughts are BRING BACK THE WYATTS!! they were such a great tag team. The whole stable was amazing! i dont think it is to late to reform. I think Luke Harper is a great performer but he is going to end up getting lost in the mid card shuffle, along with Eric Rowan. They have the opportunity to shine in the tag team division and maybe in a year or 2 be able to branch off on their own. Like Edge, Christian and the Hardys did in the past. They need to be in a Tag Team and the tag team division needs them.

Secondly i would call up either the Vaudevillians or Enzo&Big Cass with Carmella. A fresh new team would be great. I think Enzo & Big Cass have more potential to have a feud that doesn't revolve around the tag team titles while 2 other teams can be feuding for the title.

What are you guys thoughts??

Who on the main roster do you feel should be paired together and who from NXT do you feel should be called up??

i think WWE should get more teams, short and simple. i think WWE should call up Breeze and have him team up with Miz as cocky, good looking heels. in fact, you can have Miz be the A-Lister and have Breeze as the co-star type of character. i would team up Sandow and i would somehow get Cody as a face and have him and Sandow re-team.......i would give Cesaro and Kidd more of a push (more mic time and entrances on tv), change New Day's gimmick....keep the New Day itself, but have them as more serious and have them saying what New Day is which is them going after goals and becoming stars they should be, that can still a face team....have Woods and Kingston as the team. and of course, keep the Usos around. making more teams and fixing New Day alone would boost the tag team division.

Usos vs. Ascension upcoming feud should be able to run for quite a while. Great built in old-school heel/face dynamic.
The biggest problem I have is nobody is AWESOME in the ring. I think the Usos are disgustingly overrated. They miss spots constantly.

Cesaro/Kidd are the best and they clearly aren't gonna get a huge push.
I agree. Time to bring in one, two, or three more tag teams from NXT even if you have to throw some odd pairings out there. Get Adam Rose a partner? Would Rose/Breeze work? I'm admittedly not big on NXT (yet)

In all honesty, I think it's starting to get back on track. It's not as weak as it was a few months ago now that there's the addition of The Ascension and Cesaro & Kidd. While I do agree that the tag team picture isn't as strong as it was circa early to mid 2014, it's not even in the same universe as the tag team division has been ranging from about 2002 to maybe about 2012 or so.

With a few tweaks, in my opinion, The New Day & Los Matadores could be viable tag teams. The New Day is just too happy-go-lucky to really work in this day & age. I like the notion of these guys as a team, but I think they need to be darker. WWE won't be able to go Nation of Domination 2.0 because it'll generate too much controversy and offend too many people, but a team of no nonsense heels with chips on their shoulders would work more than what they're doing now.

As for Los Matadores, repackage them altogether. The gimmick was doomed from the moment the first vignette aired. Primo & Epico are a good tag team, they're the son & nephew of Carlos Colon and I have difficulty believing that WWE couldn't find something better for these two if they really wanted to.

i would give Cesaro and Kidd more of a push (more mic time and entrances on tv)

Oh geez that sounds painful. When the better mic worker between 2 people is Cesaro, you have a serious problem.

In all honesty, I think it's starting to get back on track. It's not as weak as it was a few months ago now that there's the addition of The Ascension and Cesaro & Kidd. While I do agree that the tag team picture isn't as strong as it was circa early to mid 2014, it's not even in the same universe as the tag team division has been ranging from about 2002 to maybe about 2012 or so.

With a few tweaks, in my opinion, The New Day & Los Matadores could be viable tag teams. The New Day is just too happy-go-lucky to really work in this day & age. I like the notion of these guys as a team, but I think they need to be darker. WWE won't be able to go Nation of Domination 2.0 because it'll generate too much controversy and offend too many people, but a team of no nonsense heels with chips on their shoulders would work more than what they're doing now.

As for Los Matadores, repackage them altogether. The gimmick was doomed from the moment the first vignette aired. Primo & Epico are a good tag team, they're the son & nephew of Carlos Colon and I have difficulty believing that WWE couldn't find something better for these two if they really wanted to.

I have to disagree here, JH. There is literally no tag team of any sort of relevance. If the Ascension get over in a big way, I will be very surprised. New Day is about as generic as they come. Cesaro and Kidd are fun to watch, but if you give them a mic it's over. I like the Uso's, but they just don't matter as much as they did in 2014. A)they're getting kind of stale and B)they have no good heels to keep them popular.

The rest are either breaking up or aren't worth mentioning.

For me, part of the problem is you can only be a tag team if you're a ridiculous gimmick which is soooooooooooooooo 80's.

Exception being Cesaro/Kidd which I am quite fond of as single or tag team wrestlers.

Uso's try too hard and just... I dunno they bug the shit out of me. Their feud w Rowan/Harper had fantastic matches but who's to say if it was the big men or the type match ups *shrug*.

Los Matadors/New Day/Ascension (especially Ascension my god) I just can't take seriously or garner interest in.

The Tag team division looks like a "wacky costume party" gone wrong.

Miz/dow was a great addition except it became all about the comedy of Mizdow, which as a fan of I still just want more wrestling.

I don't find Cesaro bad on the mic, him correcting his stumble about 4 sides was only bad part in that particular promo. He said it best himself, he's not there be to flashy or win people over he's there to fight.

As for my point? Uhm I guess it'd be get more legit looking teams, allow someone other than/in addition to the Uso's being a face team that can win and make the belts seem important. No one seems to want them except when they have a title match.

I for one was a fan of main eventers coming together to get the belts or at least fight for them.

Yep, there's a sad lack of real tag teams in the WWE.

They need a bunch of tag teams with real character and charisma. They need tag teams that will STICK, not just break up in 3 months!

If they really go with this Cesaro & Kidd team, that's fine. But hopefully they stick for a year or so. They might as well because, honestly, Cesaro is better off in a tag team than being the punching bag for singles titles. Tyson definitely benefits more being in a tag team right now.

The Usos are, thankfully, the one solid tag team WWE's had for a while now. I think they are great. I don't get the hate some people have for them. Maybe it's because they HAVE been together for so long people see them so much in the same matches they blame The Usos when really they should be blaming the WWE for not producing enough teams for The Usos to go with. Anyway, The Usos are a flashy and fun tag team and they should stick.

The Ascension have had a ROUGH start. It's pretty laughable. Vince has swung and missed. But they are lucky the tag division is so weak that they will at least have to put effort into getting The Ascension over. Right now The Ascension only have a cool entrance and ONE devastating move and yelling going for them. But they need SO MUCH more if they want to get over. I hope they do but they need some changes.

New Day and Matadores are jobbers so they don't really factor in.

The problem with calling up teams from NXT is that it can't really happen until WrestleMania because The Ascension just got called up and they need to focus on building them up and they are building up Cesaro and Kidd.

That's the problem with having so many unestablished tag teams is you can't build them up all at the same time.

The best thing to do in the time being is to put two established guys together like Cesaro & Kidd. At least half of the 'work' getting them over will be done already.

Maybe put Orton & Sheamus together or Titus and Darren Young back together.

WWE... I mean Vince won't because he must be in one of his moods these days where he hates tag teams so he doesn't care to invest any real time in them.

Too bad for us fans who like tag teams.

Get ready for a lot of Usos vs Cesaro & Kidd, Usos vs Ascension, Cesaro & Kidd vs Ascension.

It is Mania season, the tag division is irrelevant. The belt may get on the show but I wouldn't be surprised if it was an afterthought. This is not the time to want your favorite tag team to premiere or get a push, they would just get forgotten with so much else supposed to be going on.

Plus I still don't remember a time when there were ever more than three or maybe four teams getting significant time and push. Other teams may have existed but they were basically the Matadores and New Day of the division.

I think the tag division will be fine if they called up some teams from nxt. Or maybe even combine the division as a whole so they're featured on both shows? The division definately isn't what it used to be, but don't get me wrong, we have some really good teams if you think about it. The dust brothers were good, the Uso's are great, miz and mizdow were nice to see, Cesaro and Kidd are gold! Also I know everyone hates on the Ascension but I really really like them. I liked them more before they showed up with face paint and shoulder pads though, but it's starting to grow on me. At one point I considered these guys the saviors of the division, and in some ways I still see them as such. A very dominant tag team that should comepletly run through everyone until they win the belts. Monster heels. But with two of those teams splitting up we are left with really nothing as far as teams on the main roster.

If you would just add some of teams from nxt it would look fine. I'd actually be happy with it. The tag division would look like this:

Uso's
Masters of the Universe ( Kidd and Cesaro )
The Ascension
Ziggler and Ryback ( maybe )
Los Matajobbers
Lucha Dragons ( which I think can be very good for the division )
Enzo and Big Cass ( Enzo is gold on the mic and I think they'd get over easier than any of the other teams )
Vaudevillians ( see Los Matajobbers )

With all of them teams it doesn't seem too bad. We wouldn't have to see the same tag team match every week either. Fresh match ups. It would be gold. My personal favorites would be Cesaro and Kidd and Enzo and Cass. But I'm telling you guys the Uso's and the Lucha Dragons is MONEY. Book it.

The tag team division sucks right now and shouldn't even call itself a division.

The Uso's have become the John Cena's of the division. They put on good matches, but are stale as hell.

Miz and Mizdow look to be breaking up, and maybe it's a good thing. This gimmick only has a certain shelf life and it's pretty much run it's course. Miz did what he was supposed to do, which was put Mizdow over. Now let's see if Sandow can continue in a singles run.

The Ascension. I had such high hopes for these guys. After tearing through NXT for the last year, thought they would come onto the main roster with a bang. Well they didn't and what a disappointment. It does look like they might be back on track now, so finger's crossed.

Kidd and Cesaro could be interesting. They seem to have good chemistry in the ring and I'm willing to give them a chance. Cesaro has the power and Kidd the quickness. Used properly they actually could end up being a good team. Let's face it they weren't doing much in their singles careers so this might be a breath of fresh air for both of them.

Los Matadores pair of jobbers really, with a guy in a furry suit. Can't take them seriously, even though both are fairly good in the ring. Yea not much more to say about them than that.

If they bring up some of the NXT teams it might shake up the division, but as it stands right now, it's pretty dismal.

VKM has never cared about tag teams. His father did. But, VKM only cares about the singles that bring in the do-re-mi.

With Gold & Stardust and Miz & Mizdow coming to an end the tag team division is again lacking actual tag teams. We are left with:

The Usos
Kidd&Cesaro
The Ascension
New Day
Los Matadores

with New Day not getting over one bit and with Los Matadores pretty much just being jobbers, that really leaves us with only 3 legit teams. I think WWE really needs to build up some strong teams and/or call up another team from NXT.

My thoughts are BRING BACK THE WYATTS!! they were such a great tag team. The whole stable was amazing! i dont think it is to late to reform. I think Luke Harper is a great performer but he is going to end up getting lost in the mid card shuffle, along with Eric Rowan. They have the opportunity to shine in the tag team division and maybe in a year or 2 be able to branch off on their own. Like Edge, Christian and the Hardys did in the past. They need to be in a Tag Team and the tag team division needs them.

Secondly i would call up either the Vaudevillians or Enzo&Big Cass with Carmella. A fresh new team would be great. I think Enzo & Big Cass have more potential to have a feud that doesn't revolve around the tag team titles while 2 other teams can be feuding for the title.

What are you guys thoughts??

Who on the main roster do you feel should be paired together and who from NXT do you feel should be called up??

I agree. They do need to make Rowan and Harper into a tag team again. They seem to gave up Harper contending for the IC Championship and Rowan filling the void of the jolly big guy left by Sheamus due to injury. They worked well together. Surprisingly they didn't win the tag team championship s during their run together.

I like the Uso's and 2014 was their year, I barely remember them winning before them.

Cesaro and Kidd are great #Fact but I find it funny how Kidd was injured and reinvented himself, while Cesaro is the one people like yet gets with nothing to do.

After a good year and a half of Cody and Goldust I think still they work and should be together till after Maina, just so their breakup and match won't be as overlooked.

I like what The Ascension is doing now making fun of old school teams, the problem is they're still beating nobodies and not having long match like they did in NXT and isn't working.

New Day could make something out of the mic entrance you never know. :shrug:

I want a NXT team to come up hopefully after Maina my vote goes to the Lucha Dragons, people will be into given the reviews from Lucha Unground.

I like what The Ascension is doing now making fun of old school teams, the problem is they're still beating nobodies and not having long match like they did in NXT and isn't working.

But doesn't wrestling nobodies fit with the gimmick of old school wrestlers. The other day I was watching a match between the tag team of King Kong Bundy/Big John Studd against a couple of guys that I've never heard the names of before or since.

That's what they used to do, bring in a couple of local jobbers for a better known team to squash. It sort of surprised me when JBL was going on commentary about the teams the Ascension was facing when they first debuted. He kept saying over and over again "Who are these guys they're facing", and then I realized that's what they used to do and it does fit with the gimmick.

Now that they've got that out of the way, maybe we can get down to some real competition within the division but the division as it sits is crap.

It's the transitional phase. Eventually a couple of teams from NXT will be called up to beefen up that division. Just with the addition of the Lucha Dragons and Enzo & Big Cass, that division will liven up again after Wrestlemania.

The tag-team division was actually really good like a year ago, it's disappointing now to see it becoming a joke again. The Usos, Cesaro & Kidd, The New Day and The Ascension are the only teams of significance, and even that is stretching it. The Usos are an excellent babyface team, Cesaro & Kidd are decent enough for a random pairing, The New Day haven't really connected and the Ascension blows.

The good news is that there are a lot of excellent teams in NXT to be called up. Enzo & Big Cass might be my favorite act on NXT as a whole, so I definitely want to see them called up. They're a tag-team that can actually talk and they could get over big time. Enzo Amroe might have the best promo skills out of anyone on NXT. The Lucha Dragons are another exciting, high-flying babyface team who will also get over because of the caliber of matches they can have. They could step into the role currently played by the Usos quite nicely. Blake & Murphy (sounds like a legal firm) are good too but I can see the other teams getting called up before they do. There's been talk of Adrian Neville being called up soon, and I wouldn't be against him coming in as part of a new tag-team with someone else the WWE feels is ready. Putting Neville with a guy that can talk makes sense. The point is, the WWE has options.

As for who on the roster currently would make a good team, I'm gonna join in with the chorus and say that the Wyatt Family should have never been broken up. Luke Harper is an okay singles wrestler, but I think Harper & Rowan brought more to the table as a team. Rowan is just a terrible babyface. I also think it was a huge mistake to break up the Prime Time Players. Darren Young and Titus O'Neil weren't doing much before, now they're somehow doing less. The PTP were another team that was actually good on the mic, I thought they were funny and entertaining, and by working as a team they are able to hide their limitations as individual wrestlers. So yeah, bring back the PTP.

Millions of dollars. Millions of dollars.

The thing is, just pairing together random singles wrestlers who have nothing going on isn't really going to help the division all that much. What will do more to help the division is building storylines around tag-teams. Stories are what draw, and stories are what get people over by getting the fans emotionally invested. Booking tag-teams in actual angles is the most important thing the WWE can do to make tag-team wrestling matter more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back