• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Summerslam 2000: A Retrospective Look

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
This summer I'll be looking back on each of the previous Summerslam events, one by one. Every few days I will submit a new topic until we reach 2014's edition of the 2nd biggest brand in WWE.

This thread will be for discussing.... Summerslam 2000!

SummerSlam2000poster.jpg

Summerslam 2000 took place on August 27, 2000. It was held at Raleigh Entertainment and Sports Arena in Raleigh, North Carolina. Here are the results of the matches from this show:

1. Right to Censor (Steven Richards, Bull Buchanan and The Goodfather) defeated Too Cool (Scotty 2 Hotty, Grand Master Sexay and Rikishi) (with Victoria and Mandy) in a Six-man tag team match (05:12)

2. X-Pac defeated Road Dogg in a singles match (04:42)

3. Chyna and Eddie Guerrero defeated Val Venis (c) and Trish Stratus in a mixed tag team match for the WWF Intercontinental Championship (07:13)

4. Jerry Lawler defeated Tazz in a singles match (04:24)

5. Steve Blackman defeated Shane McMahon (c) in a hardcore match for the WWF Hardcore Championship (10:08)

6. Chris Benoit defeated Chris Jericho in a two out of three falls match (25:11)

7. Edge and Christian (c) defeated The Hardy Boyz (Matt and Jeff) and The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray and D-Von) in a Tables, Ladders, and Chairs match for the WWF Tag Team Championship (19:04)

8. The Kat (with Al Snow) defeated Terri (with Perry Saturn) in a stinkface match (03:06)

9. The Undertaker faced Kane in a singles match that ended in a no contest (15:33)

10. The Rock (c) defeated Kurt Angle and Triple H (with Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley) in a triple threat match for the WWF Championship (24:33)

Now, here are some discussion questions concerning the event:

What was your favorite match on this show, and why did you like it the most? What about the worst match of this show, why did you like it the least?

If you could change a few things about Summerslam 2000, what would it be and why?

You may only use wrestlers who were available at the roster at that time or make changes that could have realistically taken place in August 2000. Please keep in mind the situations going into the show such as who could actually have been pushed into a title match, or what songs existed back then if you wanted to change the show's theme music, and so forth.

You may only discuss Summerslam 2000 in this thread. The remaining Summerslam events will be getting their own retrospective threads, any posts regarding other events will be considered spam and you risk getting an infraction.

Discuss! :)

This was an awesome Summerslam. I'm struggling to pick a favourite match from Shane vs. Blackman, Jericho vs. Benoit, TLC 1, the main events - they were all brilliant. Worst match is easily Kat vs. Terri. This is probably 1 of the only 2 Summerslam's where you won't see me making any changes or any major changes to this card. Some people might wanna change the main event a little as the Stephanie storyline was pretty much the focus of the match but I wouldn't cause the match still turned out great. Also it might've been better off being Rock vs. Angle vs. Triple H as Angle was out with that concussion for most of the match. What would've happened to the match if it was Triple H vs. Angle one-on-one and the table break/concussion still took place?

Like I said, I wouldn't make any major changes.

I would reverse the roles of Kat vs. Terri's match, and instead have Perry Saturn defend the European Title against Al Snow with Terri in Saturn's corner and Kat in Al Snow's.

And I would remove Trish from the Intercontinental Title match and make it a Triple Threat between Val, Chyna & Eddie or add a fourth person to it for a Fatal 4 Way. Trish was bad and was nowhere near to being the wrestler that she would become a year later. Maybe the Triple Threat would've been better as Eddie & Chyna would be involved in another one with Kurt Angle like 2 weeks later in which Eddie would win the title.

This was the 1st pay per view I ever watched live.
Shane Vs. Blackman with a trademark crazy Shane spot off the set.
TLC I blew my young mind.
I really enjoyed the brawl between Undertaker and Kane.
Y2J Vs. Benoit 2 out of 3 falls was great as were all their matches were.
The triple threat main event didn't disappoint either.

Still one of my top 3 favorite ppvs.

This was a pretty good show. The main event, Jericho vs Benoit, Shane vs Blackman and the TLC match were f'n awesome. Taker-Kane could have been better tho. I don't really like matches that end in no contests... especially in PPVs.

Quite possibly the best summerslam of the decade by far.. I am really struggling to find anything wrong with this card,because there isnt. Way better than WM earlier in the year,the Jericho vs Benoit match was awesome! Loved the two out of three falls match,and IMO it possibly had the very best tag team match i have ever seen.

Edge and Christian,Dudley Boyz,and Hardy Boyz fought tooth and nail that night... Again the very best match,and just incredible bump after incredible bump. The ME match delivered what it was supposed to,a awesome title match and the rock going over was indeed the right call! Really no major changes need to be made,maybe leave off the diva match but other than that solid card from top to bottom

SummerSlam 2000 was pretty amazing. it was at the very least a stacked card with some very hard-hitting matches that delivered on almost every level. i'd only make a few minor changes, but honestly the card really is strong as is.

1. Right to Censor (Steven Richards, Bull Buchanan and The Goodfather) defeated Too Cool (Scotty 2 Hotty, Grand Master Sexay and Rikishi) (with Victoria and Mandy) in a Six-man tag team match (05:12). this was a decent feud that told a logical story and delivered okay inside the ropes. i'd maybe add Ivory to the Right to Censor side since Too Cool had Victoria and Mandy in their corner, but otherwise i'd leave it as is.

2. X-Pac defeated Road Dogg in a singles match (04:42). this was a fun little mini feud between the last to members of DX. they were having a competitive rivalry that finally culminated here with X-Pac getting the cheap win over his stable mate. it was great for what it was.

3. Chyna and Eddie Guerrero defeated Val Venis (c) and Trish Stratus in a mixed tag team match for the WWF Intercontinental Championship (07:13). the mixed tag match was okay but Trish was not really a strong athlete at this time. since the main event is also a Triple Threat Match, i'd add a fourth person to make it a Fatal Fourway Match. maybe Test? he has a little history with the others and would fit pretty easily in the mix.

4. Jerry Lawler defeated Tazz in a singles match (04:24). this is one of my favorite Lawler feuds of all time. i just loved seeing him defend JR when this feud first started. popped big time for that moment when the King punched Tazz right in the face. just an incredible moment and the match was exactly what it should have been. and the right guy won too, which is always a plus.

5. Steve Blackman defeated Shane McMahon (c) in a hardcore match for the WWF Hardcore Championship (10:08). this match was much more amazing than i expected it would be going in. i'm not sure which guy was crazier for the insane bump off the scaffolding, but both get mad props for the final spot in the match. it'd be my match of the night if there weren't so many other good matches on the card.

6. Chris Benoit defeated Chris Jericho in a two out of three falls match (25:11). this was a freaking epic match between the two and might be one of my favorites that they ever had together. these two always had such great chemistry together. this is another one that on almost any other night would be my show stealer, but again, this was just too stacked a card. close second though.

7. Edge and Christian (c) defeated The Hardy Boyz (Matt and Jeff) and The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray and D-Von) in a Tables, Ladders, and Chairs match for the WWF Tag Team Championship (19:04). absolutely match of the night for me. i was rooting big time for the Hardy Boyz to win especially since this event took place so close to their hometown. but it made sense to keep the belts on Edge and Christian and elevated them to nuclear heat with the audience. phenomenal job from all six men.

8. The Kat (with Al Snow) defeated Terri (with Perry Saturn) in a stinkface match (03:06). like Macho suggested, i'd just switch the guys for the gals and do Saturn vs. Snow for the European Title. i actually remember being pretty into this feud at the time and so having it on this stage would have been appropriate.

9. The Undertaker faced Kane in a singles match that ended in a no contest (15:33). this was a fun slugfest but i'd change the ending. Kane needed a big win over Taker here and should have gotten it. Taker could have then done a post-match attack and unmask Kane as he did. i'm not much of a fan of dq finishes to major main events, and this match was built as one of the co-main events, on major ppvs.

10. The Rock (c) defeated Kurt Angle and Triple H (with Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley) in a triple threat match for the WWF Championship (24:33). this match was really pretty spectacular. given Angle's concussion he got so early in the match, before the Rock made his entrance if i'm not mistaken, this match could have sucked pretty majorly, but it delivered in a big way. it was a terrific match to close out what was a terrific show.

SummerSlam 2000 was probably my favorite SummerSlam up to this point. i'd only make a slight change here and there just because that's the nature of these forums and this thread series specifically. the show that we actually got was really well done and felt like the big event that it was supposed to be. the builds were lengthy, solid, logical, personal and intense and the ring work matched the storytelling. that's as good as it gets for me.

Great SummerSlam.

TLC. Jericho/Benoit. Shane's fall. Rise of Kurt Angle. So many great spots on this show. Best match I think has to go to Edge/Christian vs Hardyz vs Dudleyz in the TLC match. It was captivating and highly entertaining. I also really liked the Kurt Angle/Stephanie/HHH love triangle that was going on here. It really put Angle in the spotlight. Worst match? The Diva's I guess, but it was just standard T&A and comedy of the time period.

I don't know how much I would change. The only obvious change is to have Tazz beat Lawler. There's no way Lawler should even have been close to a threat to Tazz. I know JR hit him with a candy jar or something, but Tazz (and later Tazz and Raven) should have been above feuding with the announce team. He should have been in the IC title scene with Venis and Guerrero.

One of my all time favorite PPV's, easily in my top 5. A solid card from start to finish. The TLC match was the most amazing thing my 8 year old eyes had ever seen up to that point. Looking back, Taker vs. Kane was actually pretty non-spectacular, but as a kid their whole storyline really captured the imagination. Even the undercard was solid as hell, X-Pac/Road Dogg, Lawler/Tazz and of course Blackman/Shane and his amazing bump from the top of the titantron. Great main event too, I can remember Triple H starting to get a lot of cheers around the time too.

SummerSlam 2000 was a very good show. For the most part everything was solid. I wasn't crazy about the main event when it was announced but they did a great job building that match and I ended up really looking forward to it by the time SummerSlam came. Too bad Angle got hurt during the first couple minutes. He was clearly on his way to big things but I think that was the night Angle proved himself to Vince and company by finishing that match with a concussion.

While just about all the matches were good I'm having a hard time picking that stand out great match to call my favorite. I guess I'll go with TLC. Those matches were always exciting even though they were a little overdone. My least favorite (besides the obvious diva match) was Undertaker vs. Kane. I'm shocked to see that match went 15 minutes. I don't remember that at all. I would have guessed it went five minutes and it wasn't good. The ending was awkward as Kane just left and instead of being counted out it was ruled a no contest. The Brothers of Destruction didn't click in this one.

I really can't think of any changes for this one. I like to try and come up with at least one little change for each show but I think this one was done right. Sorry to cop out on this one but I have no changes. Maybe APA vs. T&A just for the hell of it since APA was popular and left off the card but I just thought that up now just to have something different.

Best Match:Of course the TLC I match.
Worst match: The Undertaker vs Kane {went long & no decision & just a bad match in general}.

This is the 2nd best Summer Slam PPV ever in my opinion but I still have some changes that I want to insert in it:
1.Have a decision in the Taker vs Kane match {my one will be Taker winning}.
2.Tazz should have gone over Lawler and the ending of the match should have happened post-match.
3.The IC Title match would be great if booked in a Fatal 4 Way match between Chyna & Eddie & Val Venis & probably Test.. just don't have Trish in it because she was not as good at the time and you can't have 2 triple threats on the card so I figured out a four way will fit nicely here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back