Striker/King

The Wolf

Pre-Show Stalwart
I am watch the greatest IC title matches ever and just saw Ric Flair/HHH at taboo tuesday and King/striker were commentating I think they did a great job. So can any one think y the WWE does not put them together full time.

Ric Flair vs HHH on the taboo tuesday...I thought JR and King were the commentators on that? Or was this the greatest IC dvd that they are doing the commenting on? It seems like lately Striker does an AWFUL lot of commentating on the BEST OF....dvd's for wwe. Is that just me who noticed?

I think the main reason is because they are both colour commentators. Who is going to do the play-by-play between those two. I would say Striker but then you take away his banter and discussion which are the aspects of his work i enjoy. I can't say i've heard their commentary on that match, but i will admit they are two of the better announcers on WWE television and i think that is the reason they do not work together. Since the creation of the brand extension, RAW and SD! have to have the talent spread equally; both in-ring and outside the ring.It's why we don't tune into RAW and see Cena/Edge/Orton/Jericho/HHH/Sheamus... :rolleyes: Joking aside, SD! has Taker/Punk/Rey but my main point is that you can't make the announce teams unbalanced because you hear them for the whole broadcast. To have those two together on RAW, you'ld leave SD! with Grisham/Cole :disappointed: I actually enjoy Grisham's work but those two would not work together.

I think King has pretty much solidified his spot on Raw until he retires at this point. Unless they pull a move like at the 07 Draft, I think he's going to stay on Raw. At this point he has a long term investment in Raw and unless the WWE just decides one day that Cole and King aren't working, I think King is staying on Raw.

Besides, I think the WWE sees it like this: Cole and Stryker are the new younger guys who could be calling matches for the next decade at the very least if they wanted to. They both have the clean cut look that the WWE seems to like and you have one on each brand. While they could switch it up, the WWE seems to want Michael Cole as the voice of Raw, and thus the WWE.

The Raw announce team has always been fairly stable, I think, and the ECW and Smackdown announce teams seem to be the ones that change and evolve. Aside from replacing JR with Cole in 07, I don't think there has really been too many changes in the announcing team, and I don't really see a change coming until Lawler is retired.

Then again, this is just my view, and I could be completely wrong.

I'm really not digging the commentating as of late...
I will always miss King/Ross commentating...

That's what it was when I stated watching wrestling and that's what will always be what I remember watching years back

Striker is ok
I can't stand Cole at all.....really can't stand him
Grisham is ehh I could live with out him if he weren't there but he doesn't irritate me
and I will always always always LOVE King, always

I don't think listening to who ever commentating now is as distinct as it used to be, sometimes I'm thinking, who said that?
King I can pick from anywhere and same with Cole but I get the other's mixed up all the time

I am watch the greatest IC title matches ever and just saw Ric Flair/HHH at taboo tuesday and King/striker were commentating I think they did a great job. So can any one think y the WWE does not put them together full time.

correct me if i'm wrong, but that was Joey Styles and the King calling it. i'm 99% certain of it.

Striker and King wouldn't work, to answer your question. they're both color commentators, you can't really get by with that unless they're really skilled at their craft, which both aren't. King was the best under his heel style and Striker is trying to be what King was.

I wanted to bring up something, with King and Striker, besides them both being color commentators, I don't know if anyone has noticed this, at Pay per views with Cole, King, and Striker, there seems to be some big tension between those two.. Maybe they are acting, but it doesn't seem like it. One ppv Striker said something, and king was questioning him, and then Striker started saying things to King, that it seemed like they had a personal problem...

But maybe I was reading to deep into it..

Striker is trying to be what King was.

I don't know about that, but for a fact Striker would not work good with the King. Like Deadman said (and quite possibly a few others), Striker and King are both color commentators. It would not work.

Besides, when two people are calling a match, they have to have chemistry between the two, just like JR and King, or Michael Cole and Tazz. Cole would always play the little school boy (or girl) while tazz would play the "too cool for school" (could not find better way to describe it...but its close enough). The point is that King and Jerry wouldn't have much chemistry going on and well...that makes things boring. It would be like watching Soccer while hearing the English commentators.

None of today's commentators (in WWE) seem to have this chemistry...such a shame. JR needs to come back, though, I doubt he will.

I didn't watch Raw before Michael Cole and JR switched places. The only experience I have with King and JR is from the SvR games and some clips of old matches. That being said, I really hope King has just lost some of his skills in the past few years, because I can't stand listening to him and Michael Cole. Actually, I would rather listen to Cole than Lawler, because, for some reason, he just annoys the hell out of me.

If he has changed, I'm not sure whether it's Vince in his ear or what, but Lawler just does nothing for me. It gets even worse when the Divas come out. I have heard such good things about JR and King, but if Lawler was this annoying back when JR was with him, then JR must have been just incredible to balance him out.

I wanted to bring up something, with King and Striker, besides them both being color commentators, I don't know if anyone has noticed this, at Pay per views with Cole, King, and Striker, there seems to be some big tension between those two.. Maybe they are acting, but it doesn't seem like it. One ppv Striker said something, and king was questioning him, and then Striker started saying things to King, that it seemed like they had a personal problem...

But maybe I was reading to deep into it..

it's true, remember I don't know how long ago but there was something on wrestlezone about the obvious real tension there was...
I wish I would have paid attention to when it was that it was posted, but I showed my husband too
So it's obvious they have problems with one another, but I never read why they did
Does anyone know why? :shrug:

What was read, and I even have it on somewhere, that Striker (from his past of being a teacher, and I'm a former teacher too) like to prepare in advance for the show and wants to rehearse on the show/announcing when he was working with Cole and King. But King and Cole think that Striker is being "a perfectionist" just because he was wanting to go over everything that was on the 'script' basically. That's why there is legit tension when you have the 3 of them together. However, I've noticed that when you take King out of the picture, like on NXT, like Striker, Cole, Matthews, they do seem to be pretty peaceful and friendly, but then again, that could just be all staged too.

As someone else pointed out, that was in fact Joey Styles calling it with the King, not Striker. So really this post should be why WWE insists on forcing Michael Cole on us while they leave Joey behind the scenes working on WWE.com, when he is clearly one of the best announcers of all time.
Also, to stay on topic, I personnally think Striker is overrated. He wrestled for what like a year, 2 tops in WWE and acts like he knows everything. Where as the King has been wrestling for 30+ years. And Striker constantly throws out facts that are just flat out wrong. And having 2 former wrestlers as commentators I think is the last thing Vince wants right now.

While, logically, that whole 'color commentator' issue makes sense...didn't i read that WWE doesn't want play-by-play? Hence the impetus for the Joey Styles 'shoot' before ONS? I think that's why JR isn't back at the table despite being contracted...he's not a storyteller, he's a match-caller.

I think the pairing could happen in the modern WWE, since the PBP spot is archaic. That said, a pair of heel commentators, (which is what Striker leans, and King was best as) could never work.

I think Lawler and Striker would make a great team.

The only commentators I like are Matt Striker, Joey Styles, Dusty Rhodes, Jim Ross, JBL, Jesse Ventura, and Vince McMahon.

To put it simple, i could probably live with anyone besides Cole and that Grisham dude, but Grisham aint bad.

Tazz is very annoying to me. and Jerry Lawler gets on my nerves alot as well but he is alright.

Matt Striker has a degree in history, and psychology. Plus he was a social studies teacher for middle school. You figure that someone with a history degree would know quite a bit about many different subjects. Plus, a psychology background on a person, they know how to play at people, especially in a fickle industry like sports-entertainment where you are either liked or hated. Plus if you like a certain subject, whether its wrestling, machines, etc, you will pretty much immerse yourself in anything involving that, including the history on that topic.

As others have said they are both colour commentators, if you pair them up who will do the paly by play, either man is capable of doing it but by doing so you take away great aspects of both of their characters.

As well as that their does seem to be some tension between them when they call PPV's wether this is just good acting I am not sure but it seems to be pretty legit.

I personally wish The King would go the way of JR and not be on TV commentating anymore, He clearly phones it in now and has for years. He also makes far too many mistakes and it's always been blatant that, when he's done the shows with SmackDown and ECW talent, he doesn't watch the shows.

He also bring Michael Cole down a level. We've seen, when Cole had JBL next to him, that Cole can step it up to a high level but King is stopping him doing that. Put Striker next to him and it could happen again. Not saying Striker is JBL level but he'd be an improvement over King and his high pitched helium voice talking crap.

I'm still wishing for Vince and Ventura to do commentary again, man that was sooo good

Lawler and Striker genuinely do not like each other and pairing them together on screen will result them constantly being at each other's throats. That's just gonna take away from the product, not improve it in any way.

FYI – JR no longer works on the announcers team, not because Vinman wants "story-tellers", but mainly because he is considered "old" and they're in the process of changing their product, completely, and I take it he just doesn’t fit in the picture anymore. Apparently McMahenus wants them all younger nowdays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back