• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sting: Big Fish in a Small Pond?

why would Sting want to go to the WWE? what will it prove IF he beats anyone in the WWE?
scared? really? what on earth would he have to be scared of? even though he has never been to the WWE, IF he was to appear in the WWE even WWE fans would give him a tremendous pop! it's not like he would go and people would be like who is this guy!? he has nothing to prove in the WWE. if he went and beat everyone there, would that make him any higher than he already is? he is already a wrestling icon. if anything, he goes and loses matches and that doesn't look good because idiots on the internet would say Sting wasn't good enough for WWE competition, which would be ridiculous because it's all scripted.
he doesn't need the recognition.
I doubt he needs the money.
simply to make WWE fans happy?

Why o people say Sting wont come over because Vince made all the WCW guys look bad, as I recall the only one that looked bad was Goldberg and to be honest he wasnt any good to begin with and you all know it.
Look at all the WCW guys that went to the E and became champions. Jericho, Mysterio, Benoit, Booker T in all honesty who else from the WCW guys other than Goldberg got made to look bad.
Sting if he didnt want to do the hard schedule or just stay to his word then I can understand him not going, but if it was content or be made to look bad like he has said in the past then he is dilusional.
My guess for him going to TNA is big paycheck little work.

Hogan made wrestling, Vince made Hogan = Vince is a wrestling God

Easy, its the lighter schedule that he gets. he doesnt have to travel all year, so he gets to spend more time with his family. he is 51 years old and has nothing else to prove. he is the biggest star to never go to the wwe, he is a legend in 2 different companies. wcw is of course the bigger of the two. his name will go down as one of the legends. why go through the shit that vince puts people through to make a bit more money? he is happy where he is, he does not live a lifestyle that requires tons of money, and he wont destroy his body like he would in the wwe.

Why o people say Sting wont come over because Vince made all the WCW guys look bad, as I recall the only one that looked bad was Goldberg and to be honest he wasnt any good to begin with and you all know it.
Look at all the WCW guys that went to the E and became champions. Jericho, Mysterio, Benoit, Booker T in all honesty who else from the WCW guys other than Goldberg got made to look bad.
Sting if he didnt want to do the hard schedule or just stay to his word then I can understand him not going, but if it was content or be made to look bad like he has said in the past then he is dilusional.
My guess for him going to TNA is big paycheck little work.

Hogan made wrestling, Vince made Hogan = Vince is a wrestling God
It's quite clear you don't know your history. Jericho, Mysterio and Benoit defected to WWE long before he bought WCW. We are talking about guys who showed up after he bought the WCW. He squashed them one at a time and made many of us quit watching.

Booker T shows up as the WCW Champion only to have The Rock come out and make fun of him and ask who he was. They then proceeded to remove the belt from Booker T and give it to Rock his first night in the WWE/F. Booker was the 5 time WCW champion but wasn't good enough for Vince he had to give the belt to The Rock. That was a nice premier wasn't it? Booker then got to do a program where he spent most of his time running from Stone Cold.

DDP shows up playing the part of Undertakers Stalker and begs the Undertaker to make him famous as if he needed that because he was some little chump from WCW. The undertaker then began smashing him at every turn with him getting almost no offensive moves in. Throw in Booker T for a few matches vs Taker and Kane and they got to squish them both with few offensive moves against them. Then perhaps the biggest demolition of DDP's character. The undertakers wife pins him in the ring for the three count.

The invasion angle pitted 25 to 30 wrestlers attacking the ring and being beat down by 3 or 4 WWE/F guys. All to stoke Vince's ego and say WWE/F is superior to anything the WCW has. He then went to adding WWE/F guys like Stone Cold and Kurt Angle to the WCW/ECW side because these poor guys need help against the big bad WWE/F..

I know others debuted after that but I quit watching because I would rather watch no wrestling at all then anything McMahon put out which I did until TNA finally got on Fox Sports.

Now say you're Sting and you see your friends being squashed and made to look bad every week would you want to go there and trust Vince not to just use your character the same way to make his guys look better too?

Sting isn't a big fish in a small pond. He's a whale in a kiddie pool.
I don't know if Sting would be as effective in WWE now. Aside from Taker and HHH there really isn't anyone left from his era. Add his age and injuries into the mix, it's not as attractive as it once was. Maybe just the one off WM match coupled with his induction into the HOF.

I think Sting made the right choice. Sting will most likely succeed on TNA rather then in the WWE. Personally I think that Sting would be overlooked if he was in the WWE compared to some of the guys pushed in there. He probably be just another pure talent superstar who is underrated.

All right, let's put some of these arguments to rest..

It's quite clear you don't know your history. Jericho, Mysterio and Benoit defected to WWE long before he bought WCW. We are talking about guys who showed up after he bought the WCW. He squashed them one at a time and made many of us quit watching.

Booker T shows up as the WCW Champion only to have The Rock come out and make fun of him and ask who he was. They then proceeded to remove the belt from Booker T and give it to Rock his first night in the WWE/F. Booker was the 5 time WCW champion but wasn't good enough for Vince he had to give the belt to The Rock. That was a nice premier wasn't it? Booker then got to do a program where he spent most of his time running from Stone Cold.

DDP shows up playing the part of Undertakers Stalker and begs the Undertaker to make him famous as if he needed that because he was some little chump from WCW. The undertaker then began smashing him at every turn with him getting almost no offensive moves in. Throw in Booker T for a few matches vs Taker and Kane and they got to squish them both with few offensive moves against them. Then perhaps the biggest demolition of DDP's character. The undertakers wife pins him in the ring for the three count.

The invasion angle pitted 25 to 30 wrestlers attacking the ring and being beat down by 3 or 4 WWE/F guys. All to stoke Vince's ego and say WWE/F is superior to anything the WCW has. He then went to adding WWE/F guys like Stone Cold and Kurt Angle to the WCW/ECW side because these poor guys need help against the big bad WWE/F..

I know others debuted after that but I quit watching because I would rather watch no wrestling at all then anything McMahon put out which I did until TNA finally got on Fox Sports.

Now say you're Sting and you see your friends being squashed and made to look bad every week would you want to go there and trust Vince not to just use your character the same way to make his guys look better too?

You can really blame the beginnings of WCW's misfortune on Buff Bagwell. Remember that the original plan was for WCW to have Monday Nitro and WWF would keep Smackdown. He had a horrible match with Booker T on RAW and made every wrestler look bad with WCW's style. That plus the backstage arguments made the WCW crew really seem second rate. What's interesting is that all of the WCW wrestlers that had any merit stayed with the company and got repackaged. McMahon did a lot of burying, I admit, but it's not like he planned on beating WCW even further into the ground due to a petty bias.

But I digress...

How about this.

Those vignettes were always meant to be the Undertaker and the only people who thought it was Sting was the internet wrestling fans. The WWE never hinted at Sting and every new promo we saw became more and more obvious it was always Taker. To sit here and blame the man for not giving you want you wanted and calling him a scared coward without knowing the full circumstances is a shallow move. That goes towards anyone who has something negative to say about it.

1. We don't know if the WWE even contacted Sting and we will never know most likely

2. If he was contacted and didn't want to go to the WWE that doesn't make him a coward. It makes him a man of his word.

3. Sting is an icon and has done nothing wrong on or off screen to warrant any backlash for what didn't happen. All this was was the IWC assuming one thing and they ended up being wrong.

Blame yourselves and not Sting.

He's right. Actually I remember after reading the initial reports there were new items that the WWE never even tried to contact Sting until way later. You'd think that if they signed Sting he would either appeared at the Royal Rumble or at least had more blatant videos.

Hmmm maybe it's because Sting is actually LOYAL to TNA. I know that is a hard concept to fathom. Sting is living proof that loyalty, honor, and dignity still exists in a sport that has lost so much of it. Like Sting has said so many times, TNA is his brand. He loves TNA.

He is scared to go to WWE? What a bunch of bullshit.

Loyalty? His contract expired. It's not like he was trying to leave in the middle of his terms. Kevin Nash's contract expired and Booker T was gone for awhile. It's not betrayal if your contract expires and you decide not to re-sign. Was it betrayal when Hogan and Flair signed with TNA? When RVD, Jeff Hardy and Mr. Anderson all came in? It's either both or not at all.

So, I have mentioned a few times on various forums about my feelings concerning Sting and how I believe he is playing the "Big Fish in a Small Pond" role by choosing to stay in TNA. First of all, I can't ever tell a man what to do with his money and/or his family. He's earning a paycheck legally, so that's great for him. However, I think Sting ala, Charlie from Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, found a golden ticket to WWE-Land and decided to not go, instead IMO, played it safe and stayed in TNA.

Keep in mind he only signed a one-year deal. How much do you wanna bet we'll be doing this again next year?

Here's my gripe. Sting stays in TNA where he knows he's never going to be fully appreciated for who he is as a star. Sure, TNA has it's followers and fans, but they are NO WWE fans. I think Sting decided to play it safe and face guys whom he's faced hundreds of times and where he can still keep his persona in check without truly being tested. Men like HHH, The Undertaker, John Cena, Edge and Randy Orton all were and are waiting in the WWE for someone like Sting to come along. Fans too. The fans would like to see prehaps the last Dream Match and any of those mentioned above vs. Sting would be an awesome Dream Match, especially Sting vs. HHH or The Undertaker.

So, I ask, is/was Sting scared to go to WWE? His complaint before was the fact that he didn't like the content in WWE after the whole merger of WCW went down, along with a few other things. It's been 10 years later (THIS MONTH actually) and yet no sign of Sting anywhere. In 10 years the content has certainly melted away and instead TNA's content is almost how WWE's was 10-12 years ago. Hell, even Goldberg went to WWE, and he's no Sting. Again, do you feel Sting is scared or just complacent now? I doubt we will ever see him in a WWE ring. It's sad. But Sting used to spout off "This is Where The Big Boys Play" in WCW a long time ago. Still feel that way now Sting? Or are you just happy being the biggest BOY instead of a bigger man and stepping foot in front of WWE fans and seeing if you are who we always thought you were?

He is absolutely NOT scared. There's nothing to be scared of, really. The WWE would not bring him in just to bury him. A guy like that would have some creative control, and despite what you might think, Goldberg didn't have it that bad in the WWE. Goldberg went, he wrestled there, didn't like it and left. The end. It doesn't take away from his legacy.

To say he's complacent is an insult to Sting. A legend like Sting could easily sign a one year deal with the WWE and do what Nash is doing right now, only making a hell of a lot more money. He went back to TNA more than likely because he loves the locker room and is familiar with everyone. Did you ever think Sting doesn't want to go through introductions and initiation rites and other such garbage? Think about it: who does Sting know in the WWE? Only Booker, T, Kevin Nash, and Christian. Everyone else is so far removed from his old days that it may not matter much. It's like Brett Favre going to the Jets and Vikings: old established veteran meeting new, young stars and having to establish himself to a new life.

Yeah, there's lots of new guys for Sting to face in the WWE, but he doesn't need to face them. True, as a WWE fan, I'd love to see Sting be Undertaker's 20th victim at Wrestlemania, but I'll get over it if I don't see it.

I think Sting made the right choice. Sting will most likely succeed on TNA rather then in the WWE. Personally I think that Sting would be overlooked if he was in the WWE compared to some of the guys pushed in there. He probably be just another pure talent superstar who is underrated.

Well, he's the TNA World Heavyweight Champion so he obviously made the right choice. :p Besides, in TNA, Sting being TNA World Champion makes sense and is very credible. Wasn't the IWC up in arms when Lawler even got a WWE Title shot? Sting can be TNA Champion without backlash, while anyone under 40 winning the belt in the WWE gets criticized like crazy. Sting still apparently has a lot in him, and if I were Sting, I wouldn't go near the WWE until I was nearly done and get the fat paycheck. Sting has more integrity than I do, so we'll see in a year's time.

In the end, Sting wasn't scared and he wasn't complacent. I think Sting has a good life where he is now and why ruin that for the unknowns of the WWE?

Sting isn't scared to go to the WWE, he simply doesn't want to work for Vinny Mac. Personally I dont care if he ever works for the WWE. Stings good days in the ring are far behind him these days. The fact TNA put there World title on him is disturbing, they have so much young talent that could wear that belt and i dont mean Hardys,Anderson,RVD I want to see the belt on guys TNA built up. Guys like Aj Styles, Samoa Joe, Kaz, Morgan,Hernandez I wanna see young guys with true talent hold the title. Beer Money are a great tag team but either one of them would be a great World Champion. These are the guys TNA should be pushing the World Title on guys like Sting, Jarrett, and other older guys should be putting these guys over as much as possible. TNA isn't gaining any ground with sting as World Champ. Forget Jeff Hardy and Anderson as champion they both dont have what it takes to keep fans interested in them as champions. Hell whatever happened to the Pope's push he is better than anderson and hardy in the ring. Sting maybe an Icon in the sports entertainment business but he sure as hell isn't the savior of TNA.

I think we have some base misconceptions that don't relate to Sting at all.

1. Not every major wrestling icon or such has had to go to the WWE to be recognized as such, or have to make a name there. Verne Gagne, Dory Funk, Nick Bockwinkel; all names that went down in wrestling history, had a profound impact on the business, and all without careers in the WWE, or and variations thereof. All by the way are also in the WWE HOF.

2. We make a ridiculous assumption that simply because one doesn't hold a world title in the WWE/F, etc. that you're title run somehow doesn't count. There was a thread a short while back arguing over who was likely to break Flair's record, and many wanted to dismiss the likes of Jarrett, Sting and others who never had a world title in the WWE. These same people tend to conveniently forget that the 16 time billing was not for holding a WWE title 16 times. He had a lenghty career outside of the WWE, had a few title runs here but the bulk of those belts were in the NWA, WCW and elsewhere. Stop discrediting these things simply because they didn't hold a title in WWE.

3. This has been mentioned before but all of the buzz here is and has always been generated by the wrestling fan community and the IWC, not by Sting. Most of the content of these threads despite realizing this seem to glaze over it to make silly assumptions about what promotions and wrestlers are thinking.

Sting has held the NWA, WCW, and TNA title numerous times. Has through his career wrestled the likes of the Great Muta, Vader, Flair, and did it when most of these talents (and himself) were at their peak. He's easily accomplished as much and more in some cases as many of the current WWE HOF roster, and was in retirement for a number of years before making his return to TNA a few years ago.

He has no points to prove, he has no one to appease but himself, and he has no reason to go to the WWE if he does not want to. By all logic he could have been in the WWE HOF already, for as I have mentioned many of the performers there never stepped foot in a WWE ring in their careers.

Everything pushed in this thread is pushed by the fans and not Sting. I can't argue whether he's a perfect human being in regards to honor and loyalty, or if he's just in it for the money. And I don't care to. The point is we should really stop pretending that his TNA run or a run in the WWE will somehow cement of solidify his legacy. He already has a legacy that outstrips most of the current rosters for both promotions. And he's for the most part seemed to have done it on his terms as much as an athlete in this business can.

So sadly I refute much of the original topic. None of what's been mentioned is going to hurt Sting at all in terms of what he's done and how the wrestling world will remember him.

If he never wrestles in the WWE, it won't change everything else he's done, nor will his staying in TNA impact this. If he one day doesn't make it into the WWE HOF as many other great talents have not, it will be a loss to the WWE, not Sting.

Does anybody want to see WWE and TNA have a paper view together? I think it would be kinda cool. Call it something like Bound to Wrestle or Glorified Mania.
I think Sting has his own issues with WWE just like Jeff Hardy.

I don't believe that Sting is afraid of anything. He is arguably the most popular performer never to work for WWE. He's had matches against some of the greatest performers that the industry ever seen, all one has to do is look on the net. I would have loved to have seen him work in WWE when Austin, Angle, The Rock, Triple H, Jericho, Booker T, and the whold nine yards during the Attitude era but the truth is the politics in the WWE including the way WCW performers were being used, killed that opportunity. I'd hate to see Sting in WWE right now. The roster leaves a lot to be desired, he's a little older and WWE creative has a difficult time doing interesting storylines or developing performers into genuine stars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back