Sting and Rick Steiner seem more natural faces than Lex Luger and Scott Steiner

TEIWCSCSAATBHPHASP

Pre-Show Stalwart
Sting (Steve Borden) came across as a humble guy who was The Franchise that WCW could rely on from time to time. He is pretty much utilized exclusively as a face for almost his whole wrestling career because all his crowd interactions is as a face. Even if Borden didn't like being on the road all the time, at least he was more nicer to the kids.

Rick Steiner has the heart of a teddy bear, and comes off as someone you would like to have fun with, and have beers with. He is more believeable as a natural face because of his bark and his Dog-Faced Gremlin character gimmick from 1988 to 1998. Even if he was a heel (if miscast as such), his heel heat mostly composed of heat vacuum in 1999-2001.

Lex Luger and Scott Steiner?

Many wrestling peers have virtually nothing good to say about Sting's best friend and Rick Steiner's younger brother, given that both of them had quite notorious reputations backstage.

For Luger, it was a case of him being propped up to be one of the NWA/WCW's flagship megastars after Ric Flair, only for Flair to feel Luger was unworthy of the stardom when in reality Flair was holding him down until it took Jim Herd to fire Ric Flair prior to The Great American Bash '91 by which Luger turned heel in an anticlimatic moment vs Barry Windham (still doing heel work on the Brian Pillman/Yellow Dog program but eventually would turn face). No doubt the GAB '91 really screwed up Luger's motivation for good afterwards. From 1985 to 1991, Luger was actually a hard worker for a muscled bodybuilder and people look at him and think he's lazy in the ring and only cares about parading his bodybuilding physique than being a wrestler to the core. His peers think Luger got his primadonna attitude from being in the NFL as a member of the Green Bay Packers, but he's not a primadonna in the sense that megastars like Hogan and Flair are obsessed with hogging the spotlight and holding people down. He just never needed wrestling imo. Interestingly, Luger never seems to blame Flair for screwing up his (Luger's) momentum, so he just carries on like it's his job to make money rather than tap into the expectations of being a megastar. Luger was really over with the fans in 1988 when he was still a face. He shunned Rey Mysterio, Jr. and assumed him to be a little kid who accidentally turned up backstage.

For Scott Steiner, it was a case of him being looked at as a bully who would take liberties out on rookies and young guys backstage. He is a guy who is never afraid to speak his own mind about certain situations, so it made him far more believeable as a natural heel; along with being a short-tempered guy nobody wants to mess with backstage. His first sign of controversy had to be when Ric Flair sandbagged him on purpose during their 1991 Clash of The Champions singles match in an effort to sabotage Steiner's singles push, and it was back when Steiner could actually work a solid, realistic match before the injuries started piling up. Steiner has since made his dislike for Ric Flair well known, when The Outsiders (Scott Hall & Kevin Nash) fed Steiner some negative information on Flair's shady politics. At the time in 1991, Steiner wanted to remain tag teaming with his brother Rick, and in 1992, Bill Watts planned to make Scott Steiner a heel by trying to split up the Steiner Brothers only for Scott to argue with Bill Watts over giving Erik Watts (Bill's son) a mega push he didn't deserve. That's when Bill Watts was looking to get rid of Scott while aiming to keep Rick, but both the Steiners left WCW not long afterwards. Vince McMahon would do the same thing in 1994, only for Scott to again veto the Steiners breakup. And in 1998, Scott finally turned heel although he was not the same worker he was in the late 1980s/early 1990s. He did become a main eventer by 2000, but I don't even know if Scott Steiner was obsessed with being world champion. The Attitude Era when management officials backstage were too afraid to fire Steiner, so they just let him do whatever he wanted. Plus, management was in disarray and the inmates (ie: Hogan, Bischoff, Russo, Flair, Goldberg, etc.) were running the asylum anyways, so you can't fault Steiner for WCW's woes that led to their demise in 2001. Give him credit for being the first wrestler who actually appreciated Rey Mysterio, Jr. and treated him better than Lex Luger did though.

Anyway, Sting/Lex Luger vs. The Steiner Brothers at SuperBrawl I (1) in early 1991 constitutes a tag team match featuring all four as babyfaces. I'm even surprised that we never got to see a second one, but this time, with Sting and Rick Steiner as the clear faces with Luger and Scott Steiner as heels if we're going by 1992 plans and booking, plus hypothetical scenarios. The first one was a 5-star match thanks to Scott Steiner's flashy high impact moves, so the second one could be no different. Keep in mind that they did eventually have a rematch on a WCW Monday Nitro episode in 1996, although not as good as the first one, due to Luger being somewhat lazy, and both Steiners being more injury-prone and sloppy with their in-ring moves than ever.

I'm not sure of the inner workings of what went on with Flair and Luger in the early 90s. It is my understanding that WCW officials at the time wanted Flair to drop the title to Luger' but Flair didn't agree with the decision. As far as I know, and I've heard this from several people, Flair had promised Sting that he would be the one to get the title next, and Flair refused to drop the title to Luger because of that promise to Sting. I believe that to be honorable by Flair, as he wanted to keep his promise to the man that would go on to be the face of the company. Obviously, Luger never held any ill will towards Flair, or if he did, it has been resolved over the years.

I know that bit of information isn't the point of your post, but just thought I would add that little bit to it.

Ric Flair's promise to Sting actually occurred a year before at Great American Bash '90. Sting even alluded to his in his victory speech where he puts over Ric Flair. In 1991, Flair was on his way out of WCW and was to set to drop the title to Luger BUT Jim Herd unceremoniously fired Flair over the phone before he could do so. Flair demanded his $25,000 deposit back from Herd, Herd told him to go F- himself and we all know what happened, Flair took the NWA/WCW Strap with him to the WWF.

People think Flair had heat with Luger because this was SECOND time Flair did not drop the strap to Luger when requested but in reality it what just circumstances that prevented him from doing so. Flair has said multiple time he has great respect for Luger and would have had no problem putting him over.

The heat with Luger stems from the fact that he was given such a big push so early in his career much like the Ultimate Warrior but I haven't heard anyone talk disparagingly about Luger as a person (in ring work a different story). Luger was billed as the next Hulk Hogan in both NWA/WCW and the WWF but his lack of charisma and mic skills prevented him from doing so. He was never viewed as a "bad guy" but I guess the 'Narcissist" gimmick was actually a rib based on stories from people in WCW.

Rick Steiner was always a face for me, even when WCW turned him heel and made him ditch the amateur wrestling headgear it didn't work, not for me anyway. He'll always be the Dog Faced Gremlin that I cheered for.

As for Lex Luger, I don't know if he was a victim of bad booking or just someone that people couldn't take to behind the scenes, he was always a guy I could watch but I could never take seriously as a face because I knew a heel turn was always around the corner and as a heel I just didn't think he was dangerous enough to take seriously as a main-event performer.

Not sure what you're looking for on Scott Steiner.

Yes he was a bully backstage (so was his brother btw). Yes, he was incredibly talented before his body started breaking down and he started abusing steroids. And yeah he probably didn't care as much about being the top guy as any perceived slights from Flair holding him down (whether that's true or not, or just his version, I don't know).

The way I always saw him is at the peak of the Steiner Brothers tag team, when he was probably at his best ever and should have transitioned to the next step (singles stardom), he always still came off as a tag team guy trying singles. Part of that was keeping the same look. Part of that was he was still teaming with his ever present brother the entire time. And part of that was, since he was a tag team guy, it just simply takes a long time to move away from that.

Look at Bret Hart. He kept the same look, and his partner was always around as well. And it took him YEARS, and multiple attempts to really establish himself in singles. Steiner didn't really take the type of time he really needed to do so when he was at his best, and by the time he really did, his body had broken down too much to be as effective as his potential had.

But was he better as a heel than a face? Yeah. The rule of thumb was usually the best heels were the nicest guys, and the best faces were the guys who were real dicks... but Steiner, despite being a real dick, didn't really project as a realistic face. His brother could, which was probably one of the real reasons Scott was able to be an effective face for as long as he was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back