Steve Austin - Dixie Carter Interview

Chrome

Getting Noticed By Management
WWE Hall of Famer Steve Austin interviewed TNA President Dixie Carter on the latest episode of The Steve Austin Show.
http://podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=542&pid=505098

Steve Austin and Dixie Carter begin the conversation by saying "in all of these years" they've never met each other.

Dixie said that she grew up a "girly girl" but also a sports fan. She didn't participate in any athletics however because, as she put it: "If I can't be the best at something, then I don't want to do it." Dixie went to a private girls prep school and was 26 years old when she left Dallas Texas. She was a Vice President of an ad agency where was the youngest VP in company history by at least 15 years. She packed up her things "like a bad country western song" and moved to Nashville to start her career in the music industry.

Dixie describes her intelligence by saying, "I'm not a rocket scientist, but I'm not dumb. I'm like my dad who has a lot of street smarts." After college, Dixie worked for the ad agency as well as a PR firm where she had several famous clients such as Tom Hanks and Jackie Gleason. She moved to Nashville because of a specific affinity for country music. Steve asks Dixie what goes into marketing a successful country musician. Dixie says it's no different than wrestling: "Somebody may not be as great of a wrestler as the next person, but that Hulk Hogan sure turned that bit of charisma into quite a career. I think it's the same thing with Garth Brooks. I don't think Garth Brooks is the most talented vocalist out there, but he has such a talent for picking great songs and connecting."

Dixie Carter is a Dallas Cowboys fan, and a college football fan, specifically her alma mater Ole Miss Rebels. She opted to go to the University of Mississippi because of a guy she met who was about to attend Ole Miss in the fall. He asked Dixie if she really wanted to be where everyone else was going to be, or if she wanted to try something else— and she decided to go to college in Mississippi. Steve asks Dixie about the differences between Oxford Mississippi and Dallas Texas. Steve says that he really enjoys the American South, but Oxford seems to be a little bit more pretentious, or "yuppie" as Austin puts it. Dixie describes it as laid-back and gentile, and says that Ole Miss has one of the most beautiful campuses in the country.

Dixie says that she did a lot on campus while studying at the University of Mississippi and is still involved in the Ole Miss activities today. Dixie promoted professional wrestling while attending Ole Miss, and booked USWA events courtesy of Jerry Laweler featuring Ric Flair. Dixie said she was incredibly disappointed with the performance. She sent ringside and insisted that the performers in the ring "mailed it in." She said that it was "fake," and turned her off to the product for a number of years. She said that there was a very good turnout, but the entire audience could feel the "fake vibe."

Steve asks if anything intrigue her about it when she saw it at the time, and if she got a sense for how hard of the guys in the ring were working. She said, "I didn't get that sense. If I'm being honest." She says that prior to the second appearance of the USWA at Ole Miss, she had a conversation with USWA bookers, telling them: "This was a financial success, but if we're going to keep doing this, it has to be better [in the ring.]" She told him that she grew up watching WCCW and the Von Erich family, and sees a number of the same personalities on the USWA roster, and if they can't perform at the level that she really expects, she has no problem spending her money elsewhere.

Steve says that he and Dixie are "virtually identical ages" and asks if she was a wrestling fan as a kid, She says that she was a big Von Erich fan, and Austin says, "Everybody was." They both agree that the Von Erich's were among the most popular wrestlers in history, and Dixie compares their connection with the crowd to the electricity of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. Dixie says that she wasn't a diehard wrestling fan because her family didn't have the money to go to wrestling matches. Steve asks what her father was doing at the time, and Dixie says that he was an entrepreneur. Dixie says that her dad was the kind of man that never took no for an answer, when one door closes, he didn't look for another. He kicked the door down the closed.

Dixie says the TNA took a step back to take a step forward, and Steve assumes she's talking about the jump to Destination America. But Dixie is referring to the roster: "When you have a Ric Flair on your roster, or a Hulk Hogan on your roster, or a Sting on your roster—to not have them on your roster, is taking a step back..."But [by having them] you're not investing in your company for the future." Steve asks Dixie about her country music company and asks if she is still involved. She says that she was—it was her company—and she maintained a presence for years into her TNA tenure. But as time went on, more and more artists only wanted to talk to her, which made it difficult to split her time.

Steve heads into a commercial and when the show returns, he asks Dixie about how she initially became involved with Total Nonstop Action Wrestling. She said that she had a meeting with Jeff Jarrett who was looking for a marketing/PR firm. She said that she didn't even want to go because it was outside of her country music wheelhouse, but it was sports related so she decided to take the meeting. Dixie was involved with TNA since before it launched in 2002 from a public relations perspective, and became a majority investor when another party withdrew his support the morning after an event he would later refused to pay for. Dixie recalls when Jeff Jarrett came to her and said that he was in a financial bind and was going to try and raise some money. Dixie asked him how much he needed. Jeff asked if she knew someone, and she said, "Well, maybe. Potentially." She said that by this point she was so impressed with the product and the work ethic of the individuals involved. She says that work ethic is very important to her, so she took the proposal to her parents company, and had TNA funded within days.

Dixie said that she was only supposed to provide a certain amount of money, but became very involved during the first few years. She said that it got "a little out of control," leading Steve to ask what she means. She says that they were spending it, rather than investing it wisely until more money would come in. Dixie said that she was eventually put in as TNA president to help balance the budget, and became even more involved from that point on. Steve asks how transitioning into the wrestling industry has been. She said that she entered the business having respect for it, and spent quite a bit of time during the first few years, learning the ins and outs of the industry. She said that she was responsible for the deal with Universal Studios theme park, as well as a number of other early partnerships that still exist to this day. She also says that she was responsible for the Spike TV deal, through her contacts in the music industry.

Steve asks who had the book when she came into TNA. She said that Jerry and Jeff Jarrett were doing the booking, and Steve asks about Jim Cornette. She said that Jim came in later on, but never booked. Steve continued listing former bookers including Vince Russo, Dusty Rhodes, and Bruce Prichard. She says that the wrestlers of the roster didn't know what to make of her when they first met her because she is a genuinely nice person that loves people, who's also proficient at doing good business. Dixie said that within a few years she had the wherewithal to tell her bookers how she wanted her product to be presented. She said that she spent years listening to people say things like: "if we could just re-create the Monday Night Wars," or "If we can just go live." Dixie says that the television industry has changed so much in the last two decades, from the number of television channels to the amount of people watching live rather than on DVR.

Steve asks Dixie how long it took her to understand the paygrade and to determine how much talents are worth, and how much and they are not worth. She said that they ran into problems with that early on, which accounted for quite a bit of their debt: "You cannot pay as much as you were bringing in. Period. Exclamation point." Dixie said that talent is hard for her, and she hates having to let people go: "I care about people, and this is the truth." Dixie calls the Nielsen ratings one of the most antiquated forms of technology still in existence and feels that within a very short time there will be more accurate ways to tell how many people are watching television programs. She explains the concept of "+3" and "+7," which refer to the additional numbers when viewers watch TV on DVR.

Dixie says that she's never been to any other wrestling promotion's backstage area, but wants "her backstage" to feature fun and happy people, surrounded by members of their family with their kids "throwing the football." Steve asks what the current taping schedule is, and Dixie says that it just depends; sometimes it's once a month, sometimes it's every six weeks. Steve starts to compare TNA to WCW in terms of backstage politics and late booking and Dixie says that it's nothing like WCW. "We are writing the shows further in advance than we ever have before. My problem as a marketing person is how closely the creative is kept to the vest. How the hell are you marketing something and supposed to grow a new audience base when everyone is reacting at the last second?"

Dixie says that TNA concocts their storylines via "creative summits," wherein a number of viable parties are able to combine ideas for 6 to 8 weeks of television at a time. Dixie says the one thing she doesn't understand is people who "go to dirt sheets and leak private information." Dixie says that she has considered bringing in a lie detector test to find the mole, and wouldn't hesitate in kicking her own husband out of her house if it was him.

Dixie says that being taped makes them different, and says that if they were live, they wouldn't be able to include a number of things on their show that audiences have become accustomed to. Steve asks about the decision to go live against Monday Night Raw. Dixie says that despite failing, it proved to former WWE creative members that the television industry has changed, and that it will take more than moving to Monday to compete with the WWE. Steve says that TNA seems to have a really strong fanbase in the United Kingdom, and references British Boot Camp. Dixie says that she doesn't think having English wrestlers on her program had anything to do with their success in the UK, owing it more to the UK crowds appreciation of the TNA in-ring product.

Steve wonders how in touch Dixie Carter is with the independent circuit, and how she's able to find such extraordinary international talents.She says the hardest thing today is that there are so many wrestling organizations, and that a great deal of the talent is booked already. Dixie says that they really need to get their own developmental system in place. She cites Ethan Carter and Bram as former NXT prospects that TNA happened to acquire. Steve wants to know if Dixie is planning to tour again; Dixie says that house shows are very important and would like to tour more globally. She says that one of their corporate sponsors was responsible for a number of places they toured throughout the United States, and therefore TNA became oversaturated in various markets. Dixie feels that they need to let the market cool before they reintroduced themselves to those audiences. She says that the goal is to start touring again in late summer.

Steve and Dixie start to wind the podcast down, and Steve brings up Jeff Hardy's recent motocross accident. Dixie says that while it's tough for TV, she's happy that it was only a broken leg. She said that Jeff will be out for 6 to 8 weeks. Dixie rattles off a number of upcoming dates, and Steve says that Dixie will be back on the family friendly version of the "Steve Austin Show" next week.

I'm going to be honest, I think people just have a hard time forgiving TNA for some of the silly off the wall stuff they have done in the past. But the show is actually pretty solid and has been for a while. They have built up a decent level of talent. And even the former WWF guys they use, have a fresh feel to them(they are not just re-treading their old personas and such). Its not going to compete with the WWE for a multitude of reasons, but if you give it a fair chance, its a good alternative(or additional) wrestling product. It adds to the available wrestling content that us wrestling fans get on tv.

I want TNA to succeed. They have been producing great shows since coming on Dest America. Being taped makes them plan in the long haul. They are making long term plans, and are following them. As much as the thought is alien, maybe the future of pro wrestling is that it should be treated as a TV show and not a company. Many can mock Dixie Carter, but I will say this, she is smarter than many, of the IWC.

I'm a fan of TNA, I just wish people gave it an honest chance.

Does this change your opinions of Dixie?

Was a solid interview. A lot of fun. Felt like what Austin described it as — two friends just catching up, despite the fact the two hadn't even prior to the interview. It's also the first half of a two-parter, so I'm really excited for the "unleashed" version next week. This one felt more like a friendly conversation where I feel next weeks' unleashed version will be more... unleashed.

Doesn't change my opinion of Dixie much though, no. I supported her before this and I'll still support her after it. She strikes me as a genuine person who genuinely cares about both her company and her people, both in and out of the ring.

I'm surprised to learn that Dixie promoted USWA shows. It was before her family struck it rich apparently, but the idea of a Carter-owned USWA as a prelude to TNA is stuck in my head.

Didn't realize she did country.

Her bit on British TNA fans is a little unfair, I think. Certainly they appreciate having popular British wrestlers near or on top.

I love how all the business, marketing and PR majors on the web have all these snotty comments to say about Carter's acumen as an owner. What scares them is the fact that Dixie Carter has been active in the wrestling business for 13 years. Did you get that? 13 years.

It's not just about booking a show, pushing the Internet darlings and being "different". It's about building a successful business in a very hostile business environment called a monopoly. It's about building a new audience or a genre that many can agree is dying out. Do you have any clue how difficult the BUSINESS side of this is? She not only survived in that environment for 13 years, she actually got to build something that (hold on to your chairs) is not going anywhere.

Is TNA thriving financially? Absolutely not. Is it safe to assume they have quite a bit of debt going on? Absolutely. Financial troubles? Most likely. But it's still running, despite all the set backs, and that's all that matters. As insane as it is for some people to believe, a lot of businesses are going through similar troubles. Not a single company I've worked for hasn't had issues like this. I've been paid late numerous times by companies that have been around for quite some time, as well as start ups. The only company I was a part of that worked like clockwork was a corporation. TNA is not a corporation so why people expect it to run silky smooth is beyond me. Even the WWE is running into a lot of issues, only those don't get so publicized because the WWE knows how to keep the moles at bay.

People forget that Vince McMahon established the WWE in a time when wrestling was on the rise. So did Eric Bischoff. The TV landscape was much simpler, the TV industry and wrestling as a genre were both very unexplored and there was a lot of room for innovation.

Dixie Carter is trying to establish a wrestling company in a time when wrestling is passe, everything has been done to nauseum. On top of that the TV landscape is as complicated as it has ever been, and TV in general is dying out. It's not the only source of entertainment anymore. Far from it. Nielsen is ancient, the Internet threw a curve ball in every promotional strategy out there. After ~20 years, it's still evolving in such a fast pace that wrestling companies find it hard to adapt and evolve with it. Even the WWE with all their resources have little clue how to deal with it so they're coasting on success they got 20 years ago and doing enough not to seem like they come fresh off 1995.

Dixie was using her father's funds at first? Cute story. McMahon was using his father's company, money, contacts, influence and name. McMahon got his work cut out for him by having his father establish something that began in the early 50's. How come that's never brought up in discussions about WWE's rise. Can anyone honestly say McMahon would've seen the same success he did if he started from scratch?

Carter is a damn smart businesswoman and she accomplished more in 13 years than a lot of "geniuses" who have been in the wrestling business for decades have.

Paul Heyman, Jim Cornette, Jeff Jarrett - all deeply rooted in wrestling, all failed at accomplishing even half of what Carter did with TNA. People forget that. So many criticisms towards Carter, but nobody thinks about what if she wasn't at the helm? What's the guarantee TNA would be bigger today? Who'd be running it? Jarrett? He already proved he's not a good businessman. Dixie running TNA is the proof. Cornette? Showed many times over he has a mind for wrestling and not much else. Heyman got the most success out of the three and his company still died out in a time when wrestling was much, much hotter than it is now.

The facts are these: the three companies with the most success in the last 25 years are WWE, WCW and TNA. McMahon, Bischoff, Carter. If it was so damn easy to build a rival to the WWE, I think someone would've done it by 2015.

The issue is that no one wants to start another serious wrestling company, because they're scared shitless of what that means. Every single Cornette-esque person out there who does these cheap shoot interviews for 100 bucks and a handshake doesn't have the balls Carter does. They're just fine doing their little podcasts, shoot interviews, DVD commentaries or collecting sweet sweet dollars from a WWE Legends deal. Everyone talks about loving the business so much but no one takes the initiative to create an alternative or help with something. If Dixie Carter never got in wrestling, TNA would've died in 2002, that's a fact. WWE would be the only source of televised wrestling in North America which means every single wrestler in the United States that doesn't sign with them will starve his ass until he does. Every single wrestler who works for the WWE and gets dropped has nowhere to go. Either see what Japan and Mexico have to offer if you're lucky, go back to not being able to support yourself or quit wrestling.

Dixie is far from perfect, but people painting her as the idiotic mark bimbo that knows nothing about wrestling are the real morons. She's been actively running a wrestling company for 13, that's plenty of time to learn more about the business than any of the keyboard warriors in here.

Sorry to interrupt all of your smoke/asshole blowing again, Zeven, but if we're going to be talking about acumen as a business owner, perhaps you could point out a time over the past thirteen years when TNA was consistently profitable? You seem to be confusing "business acumen" with "name recognition". I do a little bit of the 'business operating' thing myself, and call me crazy, if I wasn't making money off of it I wouldn't consider it a successful enterprise. That's me though. Maybe TNA exists for the sole purpose of providing the casual television viewer with a weekly artistic seminar.

People with 'business acumen' by and large don't get involved in professional wrestling, because I can count the amount of consistently profitable professional wrestling promotions over the past twenty-five years by using one thumb. People with "business acumen" look for fields in which they are likely to make a profit. Quick- name one promotion in the past twenty-five years which has received an investment loan from a bank. I'll spare you the google search- it doesn't exist, because anyone with any business sense whatsoever understands you're extremely unlikely to get that money back by investing in professional wrestling.

So if your understanding of 'business acumen' comes down to recognizing the people on your television, it would be a wise decision in the future to avoid these conversations. Else you might say something stupid like "every business goes through these blips where they don't pay their employees", which is actually a crime in all fifty states. (I recognize that the rules in some little breakaway Soviet republic are probably different, but a capitalist system based upon honoring the agreements you make with people has worked out really well for the US.)

"You cannot pay as much as you were bringing in. Period. Exclamation point."
NO SHIT. People seem impressed by Dixie Carter's 'business acumen' because she throws around terms like +3 and +7 and complains about the dirt sheets, but then they gloss over whoppers like this one. If you do not understand how fundamental this idea is to a profitable business, I have no idea how to explain it any simpler. We aren't talking about capital spent on investment for the future here, we are talking about taking your revenue and rolling that straight over to labor. (Which, actually, explains a lot regarding the past five years in TNA.)
Dixie says that she has considered bringing in a lie detector test to find the mole
As long as we're talking "business acumen", it's a violation of the Federal Polygraph Protection Act of 1988 to require your employees to take a lie detector test as a condition of employment. (I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that TNA likely doesn't have a security exemption for their employees, unless they've got an Unmanned Aerial Drone division I'm unaware of.) That's not some small obscure law, you can walk into any place of employment in the United States and find that conspicuously posted by legal mandate. You never hear about employers threatening their employees with lie detector tests in this country, because the idea is so thoroughly illegal as to make the thought ridiculous.

Dixie Carter might be an incredibly nice person, but like most people in professional wrestling, she's stayed in her position as a result of using someone else's money. (I am in literal disbelief over the labor=revenue thing. I don't think I can possibly explain how fucked up that is if you don't understand it already.) "Existing" isn't a mark of success- given sufficient starting capital, you can 'exist' for as long as you want. The basic idea of running a business is to use it to create more money than you started with, which is pretty fucking hard to do when you're paying all of your revenue to labor.

Instead of what someone tells another professional wrestler during a shoot interview, I prefer to use metrics like "is this venture making people money" when determining how much 'business acumen' someone has.

Sorry to interrupt all of your smoke/asshole blowing again, Zeven, but if we're going to be talking about acumen as a business owner, perhaps you could point out a time over the past thirteen years when TNA was consistently profitable? You seem to be confusing "business acumen" with "name recognition". I do a little bit of the 'business operating' thing myself, and call me crazy, if I wasn't making money off of it I wouldn't consider it a successful enterprise. That's me though. Maybe TNA exists for the sole purpose of providing the casual television viewer with a weekly artistic seminar.

I'd love to. As soon as you can point out a time over the past thirteen years when TNA wasn't consistently profitable. We both know neither of us can lay a claim on TNA's profitability purely based on the fact that they're a privately held company.

Being a private company makes it difficult to assign any criteria by which people can state if the company is doing well or not. We have absolutely no information about TNA's revenue. Zilch. Nada. I can't say TNA's been profitable, you can't say it hasn't. Unless you want to throw shit at the wall, then by all means grab a handful.

Now, what else can I base Dixie's business acumen on? I have no numbers, I have no statistics. All I have is the fact that after 13 years TNA is still here. I don't know a single business that lasts 13 years straight by being in the red. Do you? I don't know, businesses run on money. Once the money's gone, usually the business is as well. TNA is still here.

Maybe they're profitable but the profit is marginal, maybe they make just enough to make ends meet, or maybe they're spending more than they earn but it's not quite enough to flatline them. Either way, money's coming from somewhere and that's why they're still on the air. If you know a way for a company to survive without money then please enlighten me.

The way I see it, in 2002 Dixie Carter comes into the wrestling business. Previously she had little to no experience with that slice of the entertainment industry. 13 years later, the project called TNA is established on the market. Way, way, way smaller than the WWE, not a threat to them at all, but they're here. Even if they're second best, it's still hard as hell to get to even that point. If it was easy, someone would've done it.

I don't care if she's a bimbo or not. I don't care if we have no numbers to base her skill on. I'm basing it on the fact that after 13 years her company is still alive and kicking in a pretty tough industry to stay alive in with WWE having a tight grip on the entire market. Whoever you are, you can't possibly have low business acumen to survive in this for 13 years. She's no McMahon, no Steve Jobs, but for anyone to undermine what she's done in the wrestling industry is completely ignorant and moronic.

I defend Carter, and you read "CARTER IS THE BEST BUSINESSWOMAN SHE'S A GENIUS". We both know she's not. If she was, TNA wouldn't have been scrambling for a network to keep them alive a few months ago. All I'm saying is that she's smart, has above average business skills and has a lot of qualities that helped her establish TNA as what it is today. I go by what I see. A 13 year old wrestling company. In wrestling, that's not a bad thing considering WCW didn't last more than 19 years and ECW didn't last more than 9. Longevity is not the end-all be-all of factors that hint to a company's success, but it's all we've got at this point. In the real world, that doesn't happen with a team of absolute morons. How does it work in your world?

I'd love to. As soon as you can point out a time over the past thirteen years when TNA wasn't consistently profitable. We both know neither of us can lay a claim on TNA's profitability purely based on the fact that they're a privately held company.
We've been over this before. There is a whole field called 'business analysis' which specializes in understanding the math behind a company in the absence of absolutely conclusive detail. Saying "but there's no sheet you can point to to absolutely 100% without doubt prove your point, so we have to assume both possibilities are equally likely to be true" is only a defense if your idea of examining facts consists of looking at the facts presented to you on a silver platter, by people with all the reason in the world to provide you only the facts which benefit their interests.

It is a reasonable assumption that a company which cannot pay its employees in a timely fashion is not profitable. Again, this shouldn't have to be something which has to be said, but you're going through one of your bad phases lately. If you don't understand the "private company" defense (it isn't one), please stop using it.
Now, what else can I base Dixie's business acumen on? I have no numbers, I have no statistics. All I have is the fact that after 13 years TNA is still here. I don't know a single business that lasts 13 years straight by being in the red. Do you? I don't know, businesses run on money. Once the money's gone, usually the business is as well. TNA is still here.
A point which I directly covered in my discussion over starting capital. You can last indefinitely long if you have indefinite capital. I'm not sure if you read right over that, or if you didn't understand it, but the point was covered.
Maybe they're profitable but the profit is marginal, maybe they make just enough to make ends meet, or maybe they're spending more than they earn but it's not quite enough to flatline them. Either way, money's coming from somewhere and that's why they're still on the air. If you know a way for a company to survive without money then please enlighten me.
You're confusing "revenue", "profit" and "capital" in weird ways. I'm sincerely not sure if you understand the substantial differences between the three. (Not me being insulting. The discussion I'm trying to have is impossible if you don't know the differences.) Companies can't survive without "money", but they can survive without "profit". Survival is only a synonym for success if you have incredibly low standards.
The way I see it, in 2002 Dixie Carter comes into the wrestling business. Previously she had little to no experience with that slice of the entertainment industry. 13 years later, the project called TNA is established on the market. Way, way, way smaller than the WWE, not a threat to them at all, but they're here. Even if they're second best, it's still hard as hell to get to even that point. If it was easy, someone would've done it.

I don't care if she's a bimbo or not. I don't care if we have no numbers to base her skill on. I'm basing it on the fact that after 13 years her company is still alive and kicking in a pretty tough industry to stay alive in with WWE having a tight grip on the entire market. Whoever you are, you can't possibly have low business acumen to survive in this for 13 years. She's no McMahon, no Steve Jobs, but for anyone to undermine what she's done in the wrestling industry is completely ignorant and moronic.

I defend Carter, and you read "CARTER IS THE BEST BUSINESSWOMAN SHE'S A GENIUS". We both know she's not. If she was, TNA wouldn't have been scrambling for a network to keep them alive a few months ago. All I'm saying is that she's smart, has above average business skills and has a lot of qualities that helped her establish TNA as what it is today. I go by what I see. A 13 year old wrestling company. In wrestling, that's not a bad thing considering WCW didn't last more than 19 years and ECW didn't last more than 9. Longevity is not the end-all be-all of factors that hint to a company's success, but it's all we've got at this point. In the real world, that doesn't happen with a team of absolute morons. How does it work in your world?
Ah, survival is a synonym for success for you. So the difference we have in this discussion is that you have incredibly low standards, and I have higher standards. That's a difference of opinion I can understand and accept.

But seriously, stick to talking about enjoying the flips and clotheslines, and avoid talking about anything involving money. You're out of your element.

Regarding the money situation, let's break this down to a simpler level.

TNA has no money coming in from ticket sales (Impact tickets are free), live events or regular pay per view (how many people can possibly be buying One Night Only? Even if there are several, it's only $15 a show and the PPV company probably gets half of that). Other than Destination America, what money do they have coming in from outside their parent company? There's some merchandise money I'm assuming, but there's no way that's enough to carry the financial burden of an entire company with expenses from talent, rent, production staff, office staff, whatever insurance they have to have, advertising and I think you get the point by now. No we don't have statistics and graphs to back this up, but it's pretty clear that things aren't adding up.

As for the interview, I'm still listening to it but it's the same exact thoughts I've had on Dixie from the beginning: smart, sweet, interesting woman, but I have no desire to see her run a wrestling company. At the end of the day, the results just aren't there. I'm not even talking about the business side of things. There have been so many stupid moves over the years that have held them back and cost them money or viewers. She's fine as a figurehead, but nothing past that.

We could alternately mention that TNA just lost two-thirds of its audience.

I'm familiar with my WCW history though, and know that's only because of evil television executives who have an unjustified grudge against professional wrestling.

Her take on the Monday Night Massacre (that wasn't a war, no matter how you look at it) is very interesting: it showed everyone that it wasn't the silver bullet and apparently that's a good thing. So it's good to see yourselves get crushed by the competition that you've talked smack about for years and become an even bigger laughingstock? That's a very interesting way of looking at things. Yeah congratulations: you showed that you were in no way ready to fight WWE head to head. I'm glad you poured the time, money and reputation into a failed experiment. Maybe next time you can get killed by Smackdown or NXT.

I'm still trying to digest this:
"You cannot pay as much as you were bringing in. Period. Exclamation point."
I cannot comprehend how it is even possible that the head of any business- and I'm talking from Mom + Pop's Bait Shop on up- would feel the need to express this basic concept to other people. It's so fucked up that I figure I must be misinterpreting that in some way, but the period and exclamation point make it seem like a pretty self contained statement. The lie detector thing, that's just unprofessionalism (and I guarantee that she got a call from her lawyers this morning saying "holy shit, you CANNOT threaten that"), but not understanding the idea that you can't spend more money than you make?!?!?!

I mean, I get how some professional wrestling fans can see Dixie Carter as a great businesswoman- we still have people describe Eric Bischoff as a great businessman. But to own your own business and still be learning the idea that you have more expenses than labor? Jesus fucking Christ, was she working on a coloring book while doing the audio for this?

Thing is, Rayne, you can spend more than you make if what you are spending is something you deem investment for a better return on that investment down the line. I can't speak to what she meant by it, exactly, but I like to think it might have been something of a mixture between that and just not caring that the money going in wasn't matching the money coming out until Bob stopped cutting checks.

Thing is, Rayne, you can spend more than you make if what you are spending is something you deem investment for a better return on that investment down the line. I can't speak to what she meant by it, exactly, but I like to think it might have been something of a mixture between that and just not caring that the money going in wasn't matching the money coming out until Bob stopped cutting checks.
Obviously TNA made a few talent investments that didn't work out the way people expected them to, myself included. So maybe this was an oblique way of referring to Hulk Hogan and his related costs without naming names. Hopefully. Eric Bischoff is fucking legendary for his ability to talk other people out of their money; if it wasn't for professional wrestling, he'd be in jail after his Ponzi scheme went bust.

It varies by industry, and I'm positive that television entertainment will have a higher percentage than typical, but the ordinary labor/revenue ratio is around 30%. To express that in terms above 100% absolutely mystifies me.

I just assumed she meant that the money being spent had become good money thrown after bad, which necessitated cutbacks.

Obviously TNA made a few talent investments that didn't work out the way people expected them to, myself included. So maybe this was an oblique way of referring to Hulk Hogan and his related costs without naming names. Hopefully. Eric Bischoff is fucking legendary for his ability to talk other people out of their money; if it wasn't for professional wrestling, he'd be in jail after his Ponzi scheme went bust.

It varies by industry, and I'm positive that television entertainment will have a higher percentage than typical, but the ordinary labor/revenue ratio is around 30%. To express that in terms above 100% absolutely mystifies me.

Right. I don't remember the exact moment of this interview when she said that, though I do remember her saying it, but it didn't strike me as odd when I heard it. So my guess is that it's probably something exactly like what you said — a reference to the money they invested in someone like Hogan, expecting a helluva lot more in return than they actually got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back