Sports in different venues: Like or against?

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
Over the past decade or so, the sporting culture as a whole has been more open to having different sports played in different stadiums. What I mean by that, for example, is in this past year, we've had 2 NCAA Football games at Yankee Stadium (Army/ND + Syracuse/KSU), a baseball stadium, and another (Northwestern/Illinois) at Wrigley Field. Not only that, but there's been NCAA Hockey games at football stadiums (UM/MSU at Michigan Stadium; MSU/UM at Spartan Stadium in 01) and NHL has held their annual Winter Classic in non-hockey venues (this year it will be Pittsburgh/Washington at Heinz Field).

So, my question to you is, do you like seeing these sports in venues not normally suited for that sport? Or do you think it's just a useless promotion?

I, for one, absolutely LOVE THIS. It gives these games a larger then life appeal. Who would have EVER thought we would've seen a football game at Wrigley Field? (although the game certainly had it's problem, playing-field wise) And while you can't have every game outside, who DOESN'T want to see a hockey game played out in the cold weather for one night? I find these games, even if the game itself may not be interesting, to be a marvel to watch because of the scene provided by these stadiums.

So, do you like seeing football games in baseball stadiums, hockey games in football fields, etc. or do you think it's just a lame promotion attempt?

Anytime you can have a game be played in a different type of venue that may draw a different type of crowd, or be played in a larger venue that can draw a lot more people then usual then there aren't going to be many negatives. Having a football game at Wrigley Field or Yankee Stadium is something different that is making history and people want to be apart of it. Having a hockey game at Michigan Stadium is going to break records and make for a great experience.

This isn't something that should happen all the time because then it would lose a lot of its luster, but the occasional game being played at a different venue is something that I like to see and makes for a great attraction.

I definitely love seeing hockey out in the open air, and I'm sure there is a certain level of nostalgia for the players that played on frozen ponds or wherever there was ice outside that was stable enough. Blackhawks and Red Wings at Wrigley, Washington and Pittsburgh in Heinz Field. Those are always fun to see and now that they are an annual thing it is one of those promotions and games I look forward to.

Seeing college football games in baseball stadiums is another unique aspect. Northwestern and Illinois had to play going in the same direction the whole game because of the ivy and brick wall at Wrigley Field. Or the games in Yankee Stadium.

Big Sexy alluded to it, you can't have it so often that people just get disinterested over time. These outdoor games need to happen in moderation, and not too many in a short span of time. I think the NHL is even pushing it a tad with the Heritage Classic in February between Calgary and Montreal when they could have easily pushed it to next year. People would watch even if it's Canadian teams. I think it should be kept at one outdoor game a year, but I suppose that one more couldn't hurt if it happens once every few years.

I Personally love it...it just makes those games like someone else said bigger than life...i mean seeing pics of that Hockey game in the Big House was neat...As many people know I may the biggest Notre Lame (sorry Dame) hater of all time...but i do have to say its pretty cool of them going to different venues...cause there fan base isn't just in Northern Indiana and Chicagoland...but across the whole country so they try to spread there product...and i gotta admit this coming years game against navy in Ireland is going to be neat...The Fighting Irish vs. The USA Naval Academy in Ireland...sounds cool to say. But i also agree only in moderation should this be done and only with certain teams...I mean would anyone care if Indiana played Purdue at Lucas Oil Stadium? I highly doubt it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back