Unique Differences Between Sports

The Brain

King Of The Ring
Those familiar with my posts know that baseball is by far my favorite sport and while I sometimes enjoy the other sports they’re not even close to baseball. I realize that overall the NFL is probably the most popular sport. The NBA’s popularity seems to have declined a bit since the 90s, but it still has its supporters. Lately here in Chicago hockey is all the rage, but I think nationally it’s still a distant fourth. To me it still doesn’t get any better than America’s pastime. For this thread I will discuss what makes MLB unique compared to NFL, NBA, and NHL. I want to point out that the differences I’m about to point out don’t necessarily make MLB better; just unique.

The clock: Or lack there of. Out of the four sports I’ve mentioned MLB is the only one without a clock. A lot of people feel this is a reason MLB is comparably worse than the other sports, but I disagree. Let’s say you’re watching the 49ers vs. the Dolphins and Miami is up by 21 with ten minutes to go. It’s highly unlikely that the 49ers are going to be able to come back. Not because they can’t come back against Miami, but because they can’t beat the clock. I don’t feel the clock makes football a worse game as it’s obviously necessary, but sometimes it can shorten the game. In MLB if a team is down by six runs in the eighth inning they’re not likely to come back either. The difference is they’re not going to be beaten by a clock. If you turn on the NFL game and see 28-7 with ten minutes to go, or an NBA game that’s 96-80, you know the game is pretty much over. If you turn on the MLB game and see 8-2 in the eighth it looks bad, but there is a chance of a comeback. I will admit there is nothing more exciting than watching the clock run down if the game is close in the other sports.

The pace: Because there is no clock the pace of an MLB game is much slower than the other sports. This is probably MLB’s biggest criticism. I prefer the slower pace. I like the idea that I can browse the web, read a book, get up for a snack, or have a conversation while easily being able to follow the game. I also think this makes for much more interesting commentary. The announcers can carry on their own conversation, give us interesting facts, and have time to joke around. It just seems like a much calmer atmosphere, which I can understand why some find boring, but that’s the way I like it.

The playing field: Every NBA and NHL arena look the same. For the most part the NFL stadiums look the same too. Every stadium in MLB has its own uniqueness. It seems a little strange when you think about it, but the dimensions of the playing field change depending on where the game is. Something that might be a home run in Philadelphia would be an easy fly out in San Diego. Something that would be a meaningless foul ball ten rows back in Boston would be an easy pop out in Oakland. Sometimes the outfielders have to deal with a green monster and other times a wall they could practically step over. Sometimes the ball gets lost in the ivy and sometimes it ends up on a hill. Logically you would think every stadium would have the same dimensions for the game to remain consistent, but the fact that each stadium is different is another thing I love about MLB.

The schedule: 162 games. Some say it’s too long. I think it’s perfect. Half the year is filled with baseball. I like to watch as many games as possible. There’s no way I can watch every day. What’s nice about baseball is if I miss the game on Tuesday I know there’s a game on Wednesday. I do not doubt the popularity of the NFL, but I’m sure the reason people get excited about the games is because there are so few of them. If the schedule was doubled people wouldn’t have the same sense of urgency to watch every game. It’s easy to take baseball for granted because of the long schedule. It’s weird to think about, but I’m sure if baseball was played only on Sunday for four months people would be sure to watch every game.

The season: There’s nothing like fun in the summer sun. I’m just a summer guy. Winter is so cold, dark, wet, and depressing. Nothing says summer like baseball.

These are just interesting differences I’ve noticed between MLB and the other sports. I could do the same for other sports, but I’ll give someone else a chance for that. What are some differences in other sports that make them unique? Please include some others about baseball too if you can think of any others.

Well I dont know much about soccer, but from years of playing FIFA, I have learned of something that they do in Europe that is different from any other sport here in America.

During the football season in Europe teams compete to win their league. But during their their chase for the league cup, they also compete in other tournament. The teams compete in tournament for other domestic cups, as well as tournaments against teams in other countries for international glory. It creates chances to see teams that you dont normally face. Kind of like interleague play on a much larger scale.

I've always loved how some of the best competition in soccer is when you have different countries involved. In America, it seems we only play sports that no one else takes seriously. So when other countries are involved, competition declines.

I think that counts as a unique difference...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back