Sports and supporting the teams.

Ferbian

Has Returned.
All of us who's watching the World Cup knows how annoying those Vuvuzula's have been as of late, we see people dressing up in the football shirts, painting their faces, wearing football scarfs etc.

Some people look plain ridiculous during it, some people does it to a minimal level, and ultimately, some pisses off even the players with those god forsaken horns, the players hate them, and the viewers hate it.

So I've been wondering, do we go into too much to support the teams? do we lower ourself to ridiculous moments of "glory" for the sake of showing our support, even knowing that the team most likely won't even notice any of the time you put into the looks, and they will most likely be annoyed with your efforts to push forth an atmosphere using the horns.

So I ask you, do you feel we put too much time into supporting our teams?

Should we draw a line somewhere to the ridiculous things we go through?

Personally I feel there's always something decent behind putting on a shirt, wearing a scarf (depending on the weather) etc. but painting your face, your upper body, blowing horns etc. is where a line should be drawn, because of both the ridiculous background of it, and the annoyance the horns pose.

I for one love some of the crazy fans that go all out for their team. Guys like the Raiders fan and the Browns fans, they are just awesome and dedicated to their teams no matter what. Then there are the crazies at Lambeau that go shirtless in ridiculously cold weather or the Hogs back in the day. I for one have no problems with the crazy fans or the casual fans. It is what makes fans so great. It shows the huge range that goes from one fan to another. Some fans will do crazy things to show their support to their team. The only fans that bother me are bandwagoners and the arrogant ones that just need to be punched in the face because they think they are above everyone else.

Sometime fans can take it too far, in regards to their behavior, but really those kind of fans draw other fans. Those kind of fanatics (and yes, those horns) are why I'm attracted to watching so many soccer games this month. It wouldn't seem as important to me without fans taking it to the limit.

Also, thanks to Theo for mentioning the Raiders fans before I did. Those folk of the Black Hole are actually quite friendly, some of the best fun in attending those games.

I too love the lengths that fans go through to support their teams. When I go to a sporting event, I usually just wear my jersey and a hat. But when I'm there, I love seeing the guys who paint their faces, or the groups that go together with the team name painted on their chests. You need those fans in the stadiums. It sort of helps raise the excitement. They help to work the crowd. For example, the New York Jets have a fan known to all Jets fans as Fireman Ed. He is at every game and he starts the famous J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets chant.

Its always exciting when you get to go see your favorite team play and doing all of these things help us express how excited we are. The point where it can go overboard is where it becomes disrespectful to the other fans at the event. Everyone has the right to go and have a good time, but it cant be at the expense of another fan.

Basically, I think you need those crazy fans. Without them, a game loses some of the fun you can have from being there. Then its just a bunch of casual fans. No chants, or songs, and those are some of the best things in sports.

Great thread, Ferbs. Am I to assume that my "Fucking Bees" thread acted as your muse and inspiration?

Anyway, I want to go REALLY deep into this discussion and look at some of the sports rituals and superstitions, and what I think about each one.

White Out / Black Out / "C of Red"

This is the act of organizing all home fans to wear the same color. Often times this ritual coincides with a t-shirt or jersey giveaway. White outs at a hockey game are epic, and also allows a crowd to seem truly solid behind their team. If I play for a team and come out to see all fans in uniform to support me, I'm fired up.

The Calgary Flames "C of Red" is an interesting one, because it makes the arena look like a fire. Penn State copied with "Code Blue" and several colleges now use this tradition born from Canadian hockey.

I LOVE this tradition. It truly belongs in playoff hockey.

The Terrible Towel

This tradition was created by the Pittsburgh Steelers management after they won their first Super Bowl and to hype the fans for the defense of the title. It was chosen mainly due to cost-effectiveness, which was critical in such a city market in the mid-70's.

I LOVE thos tradition, because it captures the essence of the working class fan and team, has an effect similar to the white-out (color uniformity) and can be quite the awesome visual. Also, the proceeds from the sale of the towels go to the Allegheny Valley School, which is for people with developmental disabilities. That towel idea has made $2.5 million for that school, and has given the fans a great tradition.

Thundersticks

When traditional clapping won't cut it, there are Thundersticks. These inflatable plastic baloons are clapped together to produce a low, thunderous sound. When 20,000 fans do it together, the noise is massive and creates the illusion of "shaking the building."

I also LOVE this tradition. This show of team solidarity is more audible than the white-out, but is also more respectful than heckling. Plus, if the thundersticks are produced to match the effort of the uniform colors (i.e. white sticks for a white out), it can also create an even larger sea of color.

Foam noodles behind the basket

This is the use of those foam noodles you swim with (or something like them, even streakers) to try to distract a visiting basketball player attempting to shoot a free throw.

Meh, I'm ambivalent here. On one hand, a player should be able to focus - if you're being paid millions, deal with the distractions. On the other hand, I prefer when fans cheer and root for their team, boo and jeer the opposition, but not when they try to create a visible distraction. Let your team do that for you.

The loud two-finger whistle

Simple as - it's the use of two fingers to create an extremely high pitched whistle that can be heard from the other side of the arena.

I DESPISE this practice in all forms. It's shrill, obnoxious, and all it accomplishes (other than proving to thousands of strangers that you require attention be paid to you) is that is deafens the people in your immediate area. Save it for the taxi, asshole.

What are some of the other traditions / ceremonies / rituals we can explore here?

If your showing support and it doesnt have a negative affect on others in terms of physical violence then why not? The horns may be annoying for us, but in the stadium a large number have them and they are enjoying themselves.
I personally wouldnt paint my upper body, maybe my face and have my shirt, flag etc but its good to have something you feel that much passion for, its better than colourless conservative stadiums. As long as it doesnt go into hooliganism then its fine.

First off, to IC: Not at all, I made this thread before I saw your thread pop up on the new posts, so it wasn't influenced by yours, I got the idea for it during Denmark vs Holland cause I was in a room filled with people saying the guy who invented the horns should be killed.

While I do agree there's some that are certainly to live with, as long as it's managed at a decent level, but that doesn't mean that just because they're nice people, that they aren't taking supporting a team to a completely new level with body painting yourself just to look like your national flag, and in truth, all you will look like, is a flag that hundreds, or thousands of others were clever enough to not smear on their body, but wear as a shirt.

I don't get the large dressing up and everything, painting, the horns, all those things, if I cheer for a team, the longest I go is the shirt, and jumping up and down when my team scores, or applaud for that sake, I draw a line with the paint etc. and the horns cause I know it won't benefit my team, it won't make a difference, the horns are the only thing that does, cause it annoys.

to me, as long as it's within the law and not offensive with children able to see or hear it, then it's all good. My favourite fan is a bloke who supports Portsmouth who changed his name to John Portsmouth Football Club. That is a fan.
Too far is something we've often suffered here in England (and it seems to be creeping into Italy and Germany far too much lately) and that's hooliganism. People that look forward to football just so they can show how they are "the best, most loyal" fans because they go to away games to trash the town and kick the shit out of other teams supporters (I'm looking at Millwall and certain elements of Leeds fans. They've caused enough shit down here in Southend over the last few years. Glad we're not playing them next year). Thankfully the morons seem to be getting kicked out but, they ruin it for everyone

I agree with what's been mentioned as far as being a part of the game. Out here in the Bay we have the Black Hole in Oakland for the Raiders, and in all honesty, its fun to see these guys dressed up for the game. I believe it shows the passion these guys have and in no way do I find it idiotic or annoying. Its all part of going to the game and the experience of it. I personally love these type of fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back