Spider-Man 4 Cancelled- Reboot Planned

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterShakeIz4Real

Occasional Pre-Show
You're not reading this wrong. Spider-Man 4 has been officially cancelled.

"Sony Pictures announced in January 2010 that plans for the film had been cancelled due to Raimi's withdrawal from the project. Raimi reportedly ended his participation due to doubt that he could meet the planned summer 2012 release date while upholding the film creatively. Simultaneous with the cancellation of Spider-Man 4, Sony announced that the franchise would be rebooted with a new director and new cast. The reboot film is scheduled to be released in summer 2012."

Okay, for one, this sucks. As much as I despised Spider-Man 3 (Fuckin Foreman from That 70's Show as Venom?? Cmon now) I loved the first two films and the actor/actresses that played them. Tobey Maguire to me IS Peter Parker, Willem Dafoe IS Norman Osbourne, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY! J.K. Simmons IS THE PERSONIFCATION OF J. JONAH JAMESON!

But now the reboot, since they're rebooting it, they decide they'll put Parker back in High School (only right, that's where he became Spidey so y'know makes sense.) But at the same time they're gettin' rid of Tobey Maguire. He IS Spider-Man. Maybe they'll find another guy to replace him and play the role just as good? I mean, it could happen... one man can dream.

So my question is-
1. How do you feel about it bein' canceled?
2. Do you think anybody from the original cast needs to be brought back for this reboot? (EG. J.K Simmons as J. Jonah etc)
3. Who would you like to see play the key roles? (as in Spider-Man, Mary Jane, Norman Osbourne, Harry Osbourne, Etc etc)

Let's hear it

Firstly, what is the point of a reboot? Why did they just not continue with Spidey 4 as planned?

Basically, this is what will kill the Spiderman series, we wanted a decent follow up after three, now they're giving us their version of X-Men Origins: Wolverine! But seriously, there is no need or no point to it. The first film came out only just EIGHT YEARS AGO and this justifies a reboot? While Superman, Batman and James Bond needed reboots, for the first two, it was a good time to reboot them having about at least ten years passed since the last film came out, but with Bond, they saw they needed to adapt the formula to the audiences, so it worked.

Spiderman is a film series that does not, and I repeat does NOT need a reboot, the series is still fresh in our minds and it does not need to go back to tell a story which we have already got once in the first film. I think Sony/Columbia have not thought this through, this is their instinctive response to say "We're still going to have Spiderman 4, oh wait, we're going to have to start all over again in less time". The studio involvement just did not help the series at all because that's what they did in 3 and this has now lead to Raimi leaving.

Basically in short, cancelling it was a fair call, but deciding on a reboot is an even worst decision.

In answer to question 2, I think if they're going to reboot it, they need to keep any elements of the original trilogy away from it. While JK Simmons is epic as J. Jonah, I just think the surrounding world will be in a crappier situation and only he will shine out. Just wipe the slate clean so it preserves Raimi's original work as best possible.

Who do I think will play the key roles? No idea, I can't think of anyone who could convincingly pull off Peter Parker at the moment outside of Maguire. I might need some time to get over the shock to think about it, but part of me dreads in thinking that Shia Lebeouf will be involved somehow.

I think this news has basically made me decide against seeing the reboot because simply put, it was not needed.

Firstly, what is the point of a reboot? Why did they just not continue with Spidey 4 as planned?

Basically, this is what will kill the Spiderman series, we wanted a decent follow up after three, now they're giving us their version of X-Men Origins: Wolverine! But seriously, there is no need or no point to it. The first film came out only just EIGHT YEARS AGO and this justifies a reboot? While Superman, Batman and James Bond needed reboots, for the first two, it was a good time to reboot them having about at least ten years passed since the last film came out, but with Bond, they saw they needed to adapt the formula to the audiences, so it worked.

Spiderman is a film series that does not, and I repeat does NOT need a reboot, the series is still fresh in our minds and it does not need to go back to tell a story which we have already got once in the first film. I think Sony/Columbia have not thought this through, this is their instinctive response to say "We're still going to have Spiderman 4, oh wait, we're going to have to start all over again in less time". The studio involvement just did not help the series at all because that's what they did in 3 and this has now lead to Raimi leaving.

Basically in short, cancelling it was a fair call, but deciding on a reboot is an even worst decision.

In answer to question 2, I think if they're going to reboot it, they need to keep any elements of the original trilogy away from it. While JK Simmons is epic as J. Jonah, I just think the surrounding world will be in a crappier situation and only he will shine out. Just wipe the slate clean so it preserves Raimi's original work as best possible.

Who do I think will play the key roles? No idea, I can't think of anyone who could convincingly pull off Peter Parker at the moment outside of Maguire. I might need some time to get over the shock to think about it, but part of me dreads in thinking that Shia Lebeouf will be involved somehow.

I think this news has basically made decide against seeing the reboot because simply put, it was not needed.

I totally agree with you on this Phoenix,

You can still continue the franchise without its two core elements, and actor can be replaced and a directors vision does not have to be the same as the first.

For me seeing this news was stupid, It comes to the age old studio vs Director in regards to a clash of ideas and not recognising that Raimi knows what he's doing, if he didn't he wouldn't have had much sucess in Hollywood would he?, The franchise wouldn't be worth over a billion for Sony or Marvel would it?

IMO they should just continue with spiderman 4 or If they must reboot stay away from the original univers and just do what JJ Abrahams did with star trek and make a whole new universe due to an influx in the original time line.

I sometimes hate the movie industry because of moronic decisions such as this one but hopefully I would be wrong in regards to how bad this reboot will truly be

Maybe they did this because they didn't want it to turn out like the piece of shit that was Spider-Man 3? Anyway, this sort of pisses me off. While I did despise Spider-Man 3, I was hoping 4 would be better, and I was excited about the rumors of the Sinister Six being used. Tobey Maguire is perfect for the Sipedr-Man/Peter Parker role. Now we are going to see someone else? He has become the face of this franchise over the years, and replacing him is bad idea. Now we are going to have to get use to a new Spidey? I'm not saying Maguire has set the bar too high, but he did do a pretty damn good job.

If they had to bring one person back from the original cast, it would be Rosemary Harris(Aunt May). She was as important to the Spidey movies as Tobey was, and she did a great job.

Still, this has to be one of the WORST moves I've seen in a while. Depending on how the trailer is, I may not even see this movie. It doesn't make sense to reboot this series because it doesn't need it. While I do feel Sam Raimi went way over the top in every aspect in Spidey 3, I still feel he could've saved this series, and I'm basing that upon how good Spider-Man 1 and 2 were.

I agree with everything said from to soon, the first two were to good, great cast.......but this will either be epic or shit with no margin in between. I will probably see because I mark out for Spider-Man what ever he may be doing. However I disagree with the Shia Labeouf will NOT be Spider-Man. I do have this weird feeling (it's probably my Scotty-Sense) but they will probably cast the new Spider-Man as none other then all the young children's favorite homosexual high school actor. Who you may ask, well I think deep in your sub-conscience we all know who I mean......................Zac Efron. I WILL NOT see that movie if he is anywhere near it.

I think this is a fantastic idea.

I liked Spider-Man 1, LOVED Spider-Man 2, and absolutely LOATHED Spider-Man 3. I think by #3, the creators were either burnt out already, or they felt rushed. And then when #4 was announced, it was also announced that they were going to do #5 right after. More than likely, both of those movies were going to be trash. The series has no potential at this point with the current staff running it, and cast in it. Bottom line...

So, yeah... while I think 2012 is a bit too soon for a reboot, I still like the idea regardless. They can give it a more serious tone like Batman Begins, and thank the Lord... they can get rid of that hideous/talentless Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane. Hopefully they cast someone decent as Spider-Man though, and don't aim for one of these Twilight or High School Musical 'tards. I'm thinking Zach Gilford would be the perfect choice, right now.

If a reeboot means another origin story then they shouldn't bother. I'm sure there are planty of variations on the origin of Spider-Man, but I'll be fucked if I'm intrested in them. Recast all the main characters, bring in a new director and just carry on like nothing happened. Or maybe do a Superman Returns and pretend the shit film/s didn't happen.

Makes sense really, Peter Parkers a high school kid not a 34 year old. Maguire is too old for the role so to have him replaced as Spidey is logical. Then there's Dunst who said she'd only do four if Maguire was doing it. Who cares about the Director as three was shit. 100% logical decision here.

Who cares about the Director as three was shit. 100% logical decision here.

Well that's an incredibly stupid statement Lee. Who cares about the Director? Umm, anyone with an interest in this film? Without a good director, the film will be shit. You should damn well care about who the director is, and you are simply NOT going to find a better director for this franchise than Sam Raimi, bar none. Brilliant director, and the odds of them ever getting a director even half as good as Raimi to take on this project are slim to none.

In fact I wouldn't be shocked if fucking Brett Ratner or someone equally shit was signed onto this film by week's end.

My point is X that it's a Spider-Man film, I doubt most people give two shits about who's directing it. Obviously we do, but Joe public care about which bad guy's in it.

According to crave owned Super Hero Hype
After Monday's big announcement that Sony is rebooting the "Spider-Man" franchise, the attention has turned to which director and star will bring the new version to life.

According to Deadline Hollywood, (500) Days of Summer and music video director Marc Webb is the frontrunner for the director's chair, but that the studio has a "wish list" of directors that also includes James Cameron, David Fincher and Wes Anderson. You would think that District 9 helmer Neill Blomkamp is somewhere on that list as well.

The site says that Webb has met with the Spidey producers and studio executives to talk about getting the movie underway later this year for a summer 2012 release. The studio is also reportedly wanting to shoot the film in 3D.

You're right, I take that previous statement back. Mark fucking Webb, seriously? Then the random ones: James Cameron? David Fincher? Wes Anderson? Can you imagine Spidey in Wes Anderson stylee?

The more I read about this, the more I think they want to save money on various salaries for their mega stars.

FYI, Marc Webb, the director of (500) Days of Summer, has been tapped to direct the Spider-Man reboot. The norm nowadays in Hollywood seems to be to pick up independent or foreign filmmakers with one or a couple of well-received films under their belt for blockbuster franchises. Although I haven't seen (500) Days of Summer yet, I'm not necessarily sure if this is the right move; do you really want a former music video director with only one romcom to his credit directing such a huge franchise? If they wanted to go the former music video director route, why didn't they try to go for Spike Jonze or Tarsem Singh? Hell, isn't Sony Pictures also producing The Green Hornet? Why not pick up Michel Gondry for a two picture deal?

Okay it has been confirmed that Marc Webb WILL be the next director for the Spider-Man movies, but his style is going to be different from Sam Raimi's. Marc Webb plans on introducing a cast of "relative strangers" into the mix and send Spidey all the way back into high school and will restart the series, but this time they will make villain fighting take a back seat to "High School Angst." All I have to say is WHAT THE FUCK! This is a terrible decision. I am all for a smaller Spider-Man who instead of saying bring it on make smart ass comments as he fights like the Spider-Man we all know and love. We saw a glimpse of that in Spider-Man but was nowhere to be found in Spider-Man 2 or Spider-Man 3. What is everyone's thoughts on these new developments?

Well there goes my long-awaited anticipation of Dylan Baker's Curt Conners finally making his transformation into The Lizard. Equivalently, I was looking forward to another fantastic appearance by Bruce Campbell. To reboot the Spider-Man film franchise and to have Peter Parker start from high school again doesn't sound very appealing as that has already been done well enough before. In fact, the only reason I'd ever bother to check out a new Spider-Man film series is Mysterio. Everyone talks about Venom and Carnage, but I'm here trying to scratch an itch for my nostalgic classic favourites like Mysterio, The Vulture, Electro and Scorpion.

FROM SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT

Spider-Man will swing into theaters worldwide in 3D beginning July 3, 2012, it was announced today by Jeff Blake, Chairman of Sony Pictures Worldwide Marketing & Distribution. The new film which is still untitled, will begin production later this year directed by Marc Webb from a screenplay by James Vanderbilt. Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin will produce the film from Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios.

Commenting on the announcement, Blake said, "Spider-Man is the ultimate summer movie-going experience, and we're thrilled the filmmakers are presenting the next installment in 3D. Spider-Man is one of the most popular characters in the world, and we know audiences are eager and excited to discover Marc's fantastic vision for Peter Parker and the franchise."

What do you think of this incredibly succesful franchise getting a complete reboot? Do you think it will match the sucess of it's previous incarnation?

It's going to be interesting to say the least. While he has a directed videos for the who's who of the music industry, Marc Webb has only directed one full feature film in 500 Days of Summer. While that was a good movie, I can't see it being too easy to transition to what will be a huge budget film, and in 3D no less.

The hardest part to overcome though will be the casting. Tobey Maguire is synonomous with the franchise and replacing him will turn alot of people off to the movie. I think the best thing they can do is go with an unknown actor for the part, or it will come across as second rate and cheesy. So they have to give it a brand new spin with an actor who isn't known for other roles.

I've also heard they are looking into using The Vulture for the main villian. Terrible choice in my opinion. He always seemed corny to me and very campy. John Malcovich was rumored to have been in talks for the role, and although he's an excellent actor i don't see him being able to make Vulture credible. There are so many other untapped villians they could use.

Awesome. So this is going to be Spiderman meets High School Musical. What a complete waste. I was hoping somebody like Christopher Nolan who actually has experience with making comic book movies and making them WELL would get the director's seat. Now we get some nobody who has one well known movie (which, I might add, is a romance movie) under his belt coming in and turning Spiderman into a High School angst drama with a little bit of fighting on the side.

What a sad day for Spiderman fans. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back