Sooners Road to Redemption

Kermit

the Frog
OU-Logo.PNG

Today, Oklahoma University rebounded off of their embarrassing loss to Texas Tech with a win over undefeated #8 Kansas-State. Oklahoma was treated to the first shot at the undefeated team as they enter the tough part of their schedule. K-State notably beat Miami(FL) and an undefeated #15 Baylor, but their resume of opponents don't go any deeper than that.

BUT

What looks good is the win over a high ranking, on the road, for OU. K-State might even be lucky enough to pull off a 10 win season. Let's look at where OU will probably be in the rankings after this win.

Current BCS top 10.

1 LSU 8-0
2 Alabama 8-0
3 Oklahoma State 7-0
4 Boise State 7-0
5 Clemson 8-0
6 Stanford 7-0
7 Oregon 6-1
8 Kansas State 7-0
9 Oklahoma 6-1
10 Arkansas 6-1​

With the win today, Oklahoma will most likely jump to the number to the #7 spot. Why jump over Oregon? Because OU toppled a #8 BCS ranked team on the road, that's why. Oregon and Stanford are on a collision course for each other in two weeks, and the winning team will probably jump in front of OU again for the time being.

What OU Needs to happen from this point on:

OU needs Stanford, Oregon(Maybe), and Clemson(Maybe) to lose a game. Stanford must lose in order for OU to still get a shot at a national title.

Stanford

Stanford has the following teams left to play: USC, Oregon State, #7 Oregon, Cal, and Notre Dame.

That isn't the hardest of line-ups, but it isn't no cake walk either. Stanford, to be quite honest, has not played anyone worth a crap yet. Oregon is the team that they need to beat in order to solidify a national title bid. Stanford losing is a lot more likely than people think it is.

Clemson (Maybe)

Why do i say maybe? It is hard to determine how much an impact it would have if OU finishes out the season without a loss and beats a #2 team on the road to top it off. Would that be enough to push OU into a firm #2 spot over Clemson, who is pitted in a weak conference?

Clemson has to play Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, North Carolina State, #13 South Carolina, and most likely #12 Virgina Tech again in the ACC conference title game.

Clemson has a long way to go before fully claiming the title of being "undefeated," but they are a definitely a team that is causing a threat to 1-loss teams.

Oregon (Maybe)

I can sum this up in a nutshell. Oregon has to beat #6 Stanford and remain undefeated to go to a national title. Even then, we still have that prediction of how much OU's last win would weigh into the rankings. With only one loss, from #1 LSU, Oregon controls their own destiny and their BSC dreams is heavily based on the Stanford game.

Oklahoma State

#3 Oklahoma State, future #2, must remain undefeated in order for OU to cash a big check in Stillwater in December. It's going to be blood bath in this bedlam bout, and despite OU's loss to Texas Tech, I still think this is going to be a game that sends the winner into the national title game.

Boise State

I see Boise State playing the same fiddle as always. They will be surpassed by a 1-loss team if need be. Boise State does have a strong enough schedule to out rank a one loss team from the SEC or Big 12 in the end.

Your Response?

How do you see the season shaping out in the end?

Who do you think will be competing for the national title?

What are your thoughts on what I have written?

Oklahoma still has a shot, not a great one, but still a shot. I'd say there's a great chance LUS/Bama winner (I say Bama) will run the table after that game. So there's one slot for you. As for the rest, I'd reckon they'll take any undefeated team over a one loss Oklahoma (including Boise, even though that shouldn't be the case)

Obviously OU would need to beat Oklahoma State to have any shot at all, which isn't a certainty, especially since the game is at OSU. Assuming they win that game, they'd need Clemson and Stanford to fall. Clemson is on the ropes against GT at the moment and their schedule is decently difficult the rest of the way. I say they fall off quite a bit. That leaves Stanford, and I don't see them losing to Oregon, which is the one big test that have left.

In the end I see Bama vs Stanford in the title game with OU left out of even a Big 12 championship after losing the OKST

Well, it was there. Everything fell in place for the Sooners. Although, all seemed loss this past Friday night when the Ok-State Cowboys lost to Iowa State. The amount of the check that OU needed to cash was big, and Iowa State's win over OSU devalued OSU's worth by a good majority.

But then it happened, USC put the pedal to the medal against Oregon. In a football game that rivaled, in the same time slot, with OU vs. Baylor. Oregon rallied back, but missed a final field goal to tie it up. Now, all OU had to do was to survive Baylor.

In the last 8 minutes, OU rallied back from a 14 point deficit and tied it up at 38-38, after some questionable calling for a possible 2-Pt conversion. OU had all the momentum after 14 unanswered points. Baylor looked content to take it overtime, where OU, who is overall the better team, had the advantage. BUT, Bob Stoops was not content and wanted to nip the thing in the butt. A costly timeout sparked a rebuttal from Robert Griffin III, who can be credited solely for the final drive of the Baylor Bears, that got them 6 points.

OU lost again for the second time this year, and once again it came about by a sloppy secondary and questionable coaching.

Before this weekend, the looming Bedlam match-up was still a stage for National Title hopes, but how it seems like nothing more than for a spot in the Fiesta Bowl, where the winner will most likely face an unranked, 7-win, Big East champion.

I still love my Sooners, but the dream is lost this year. I'll still be at the Iowa State game next week where we will host them in Norman.

College Football is a crazy battle field.

Boomer Sooner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back