Sony has no balls

Are we sure it wasnt that one of the hackers died from watching the movie and this is actually a warning?

On that note, Gelg, I'm actually on the fence about whether or not the Sony hack itself was a toe in the water of an Act of War. Especially if it was sanctioned by the NK government.

Historically economic or corporate espionage has simply been responded to in kind. Unfortunately there's not a lot than can be done to fuck the North's economy for the same reason you can't give a quadriplegic a dead leg.

But if we're turning a blind eye to North Korea torpedoing southern ships, shelling civilians and trying to build nuclear weapons then we're probably not going to saddle the troops (or whatever the expression is) because they've fucked with Sony's emails.

But in the long run... yeah. As I said in non-spam, the only way I see out of this is for the world (from governments to citizens) to start viewing cyber crime as equivalent to regular crime, be it harassment, espionage or stealing Wrestlemania.

On that note, Gelg, I'm actually on the fence about whether or not the Sony hack itself was a toe in the water of an Act of War. Especially if it was sanctioned by the NK government.

Probably is. But my question is who the fuck thought making a movie satirising a volatile dictator that clearly hates us but has stayed to himself mostly was a good idea? Its basically poking a lion and then being shocked when it tries to eat you and people around you.

When/were was it divulged that the hackers and the threat were directly associated with NK? Is everyone making a leap based upon the NK government expressing disdain for the film a few weeks back, or did I miss something?

When/were was it divulged that the hackers and the threat were directly associated with NK? Is everyone making a leap based upon the NK government expressing disdain for the film a few weeks back, or did I miss something?

U.S. Links North Korea to Sony Hacking

American intelligence officials have concluded that the North Korean government was “centrally involved” in the recent attacks on Sony Pictures’s computers, a determination reached just as Sony on Wednesday canceled its release of the comedy, which is based on a plot to assassinate Kim Jong-un, the North Korean leader.

Senior administration officials, who would not speak on the record about the intelligence findings, said the White House was still debating whether to publicly accuse North Korea of what amounts to a cyberterrorism campaign. Sony’s decision to cancel release of “The Interview” amounted to a capitulation to the threats sent out by hackers this week that they would launch attacks, perhaps on theaters themselves, if the movie was released.
Officials said it was not clear how the White House would decide to respond to North Korea.

READ MORE »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/w...rea-to-sony-hacking.html?emc=edit_na_20141217

A few officials have stated off the record that the attack probably originated from outside Korea, but that the belief is that it was sanctioned by the NK government. I suppose it could have simply been perpetrated by someone who really, really hates Seth Rogen (not unreasonable) but the common belief doesn't seem like too much of a leap of faith right now.

The same could probably be said for the ebola virus.

From a sincere standpoint though, the fact such a tight-assed, batshit crazy country sanctioned hackers to leak info about the future of the spider-man movies and shit to try and deter them from releasing a stoner-comedy movie is absolutely fucking surreal, but, even funnier, totally believable.....and not totally unlike a plot device that would be IN a Seth Rogen movie

Probably is. But my question is who the fuck thought making a movie satirising a volatile dictator that clearly hates us but has stayed to himself mostly was a good idea? Its basically poking a lion and then being shocked when it tries to eat you and people around you.

The guys from South Park? Whoever directed Inglorious Basterds? There are literally dozens of movies that play off this. It's a common satirical theme. Even Little Nicky had a scene with Adolf Hitler getting pineapples shoved up his ass in Hell.

And no, it's not poking a lion and being shocked when it eats you. It's a Constitutionally protected right of American citizens to produce art (yes, it's art, whether you like it or not) in the form of satire for the purpose of entertainment.

I asked it earlier and I'll ask again — if you think that the threat of terror is or should be enough to halt something like this (a Constitutionally protected American right), where do you draw the line? What if North Korea decided that the common use of "Kim" by Americans in naming their children was an a front to the Supreme Leader because it was a girl's name, so they demanded that the name be banned and any citizen who had the name Kim had to legally change it or they would attack us? Would your response be that we should ban the name and force the changes?

Simply put, we're a sovereign nation who determines its own laws, and under our laws The Interview is protected. North Korea can hold their breathe until they pass out for all I care. They don't get to dictate what is or isn't Constitutionally protected, and if they attack this Nation over this, ludicrous as that may seem, it's an Act of War (because sanctioning the hacking of Sony was pretty much already one) and should be met by swift retaliation. My suggestion? In the form of a number of AGM-114 Hellfire missiles dropped on every one of Un's palaces so even his dentist can't identify his body.

From a sincere standpoint though, the fact such a tight-assed, batshit crazy country sanctioned hackers to leak info about the future of the spider-man movies and shit to try and deter them from releasing a stoner-comedy movie is absolutely fucking surreal, but, even funnier, totally believable.....and not totally unlike a plot device that would be IN a Seth Rogen movie

I've seen this in a few places and it doesn't get any less funny or true. It'll probably be released in early 2016.

First of all North Korea can't do fucking shit. They've been spending their whole budget on building a nuclear missiles and they can barely hit Japan. Not to mention the US is pretty much watching their ass 24/7.

However it's not the government they should be worried about. If there's any radicals out there that would do something, it's them. But still, who gives a shit? Let them try.

Like it was said though, the movie theaters are refusing to play it so Sony has no choice..

And honestly...honestly...the movie was going to suck balls. I like some Rogan/Franco shit, but I mean that movie looked goddamn awful. It's really hit or miss with them, and that movie was a big miss.

Also they had to have known that a movie idea like that wasn't going to go over well. It was pretty messed up, dictator or not. I know the guy is a little midget asshole, but think about if they made a movie over there where a couple of guys came to the United States and tried to kill Obama. You think the United States would just sit back and let them air that?

I'm sure they'll end up releasing it out on DVD or something so they get their money's worth of that shit. I mean it is kinda late to be pulling the plug considering it was getting ready to play in theaters.

First of all North Korea can't do fucking shit. They've been spending their whole budget on building a nuclear missiles and they can barely hit Japan. Not to mention the US is pretty much watching their ass 24/7.

However it's not the government they should be worried about. If there's any radicals out there that would do something, it's them. But still, who gives a shit? Let them try.

Like it was said though, the movie theaters are refusing to play it so Sony has no choice..

And honestly...honestly...the movie was going to suck balls. I like some Rogan/Franco shit, but I mean that movie looked goddamn awful. It's really hit or miss with them, and that movie was a big miss.

Also they had to have known that a movie idea like that wasn't going to go over well. It was pretty messed up, dictator or not. I know the guy is a little midget asshole, but think about if they made a movie over there where a couple of guys came to the United States and tried to kill Obama. You think the United States would just sit back and let them air that?

I'm sure they'll end up releasing it out on DVD or something so they get their money's worth of that shit. I mean it is kinda late to be pulling the plug considering it was getting ready to play in theaters.

Yes. It's satire, and should be taken as such.

It has been handled before, in various forms, but I think that pushing the issue for release does not outweigh the possible threats- cyber or otherwise & calling their bluff is not really worth it given the possible backlash. We just dont know what little thing may set off the hackers and\or N. Korea, but I am willing to bet it wont be over a movie. Still no reason to risk lives, especially not for something like this.

All in all, the studio knew that people would be unhappy with this film, but I doubt they thought it would come to this level. Does it suck to give in to threats? Yes, but at least no-one runs the risk of attack. It just opens doors and questions. Now that this is prevalent in the media, we will see more and more cyber threats from those far less imposing\dangerous than N.Korea. How those will be handled is yet to be determined. Unfortunately, I foresee at least one dumb fuck trying these type of threats, not getting his way & ultimately shooting someone or blowing something up. One jackass who sees that the hackers got their way & wants to employ the same tactic over something that matters even less than a theatrical comedy.

It has been handled before, in various forms, but I think that pushing the issue for release does not outweigh the possible threats- cyber or otherwise & calling their bluff is not really worth it given the possible backlash. We just dont know what little thing may set off the hackers and\or N. Korea, but I am willing to bet it wont be over a movie. Still no reason to risk lives, especially not for something like this.

All in all, the studio knew that people would be unhappy with this film, but I doubt they thought it would come to this level. Does it suck to give in to threats? Yes, but at least no-one runs the risk of attack. It just opens doors and questions. Now that this is prevalent in the media, we will see more and more cyber threats from those far less imposing\dangerous than N.Korea. How those will be handled is yet to be determined. Unfortunately, I foresee at least one dumb fuck trying these type of threats, not getting his way & ultimately shooting someone or blowing something up. One jackass who sees that the hackers got their way & wants to employ the same tactic over something that matters even less than a theatrical comedy.

I'll ask a third time...

Where is your line of demarcation? If you think that the threat of terror is or should be enough to halt something like this (a Constitutionally protected American right), where do you draw the line? What if North Korea decided that the common use of "Kim" by Americans in naming their children was an a front to the Supreme Leader because it was a girl's name, so they demanded that the name be banned and any citizen who had the name Kim had to legally change it or they would attack us? Would your response be that we should ban the name and force the changes?

What if an artist decided to depict Kim Jong-Un as a pig in a giant mural painting? What if a graphic designer decided to photoshop Vladimir Putin riding a horseback without a shirt into some other form of satire/comedy?

Where is your line of demarcation?

Like I said I wouldn't be afraid of North Korea. They make threats like that on a daily basis. That little midget says he's going to nuke the US every day, but every time he tests one of his missiles it falls flat and we laugh.

We'd have to be more worried about radical nutjobs, more than likely our own citizens who for whatever reason are supporting North Korea, because obviously they're out there. I know we have Americans who have become middle eastern terrorists, so I wouldn't be shocked to see some people saw some North Korean propaganda as well and wanted change. Those are the guys I'm worried about, because then we end up with something possibly similar to the Auora shootings in 2012, and that wasn't fueled by anything but James Holmes being a psychopath who finally snapped. Now you're giving even more dangerous psychopaths motive and that's when it gets scary.

I think IDR made a great point with it being satire and it being art, and them having the right as Americans to show it. But really theaters aren't taking the chance of having theirs become a tragedy because some nutbag wants to make it onto the news because he was never hugged by mommy.

Like I said I wouldn't be afraid of North Korea. They make threats like that on a daily basis. That little midget says he's going to nuke the US every day, but every time he tests one of his missiles it falls flat and we laugh.

We'd have to be more worried about radical nutjobs, more than likely our own citizens who for whatever reason are supporting North Korea, because obviously they're out there. I know we have Americans who have become middle eastern terrorists, so I wouldn't be shocked to see some people saw some North Korean propaganda as well and wanted change. Those are the guys I'm worried about, because then we end up with something possibly similar to the Auora shootings in 2012, and that wasn't fueled by anything but James Holmes being a psychopath who finally snapped. Now you're giving even more dangerous psychopaths motive and that's when it gets scary.

I think IDR made a great point with it being satire and it being art, and them having the right as Americans to show it. But really theaters aren't taking the chance of having theirs become a tragedy because some nutbag wants to make it onto the news because he was never hugged by mommy.

And that's fine. They are within their rights to refuse to show it. The same as Sony are within their rights to back off as well. Doesn't make either any less cowardly in my eyes, but they're both acting well within their rights as Americans.

What I'm asking here has more to do with people accepting this as what should be done when threats against art and expression are made.

I'll ask a third time...

Where is your line of demarcation? If you think that the threat of terror is or should be enough to halt something like this (a Constitutionally protected American right), where do you draw the line? What if North Korea decided that the common use of "Kim" by Americans in naming their children was an a front to the Supreme Leader because it was a girl's name, so they demanded that the name be banned and any citizen who had the name Kim had to legally change it or they would attack us? Would your response be that we should ban the name and force the changes?

What if an artist decided to depict Kim Jong-Un as a pig in a giant mural painting? What if a graphic designer decided to photoshop Vladimir Putin riding a horseback without a shirt into some other form of satire/comedy?

Where is your line of demarcation?

The line is drawn when something can easily be done to prevent possible loss of life. Sony not releasing on DVD\VOC & the theaters not showing the film may hurt the pocketbook, but the decision protects against lives being ended. This situation has gained more exposure than the other examples you have given & they are visual depictions which are not the same as a plot to kill those leaders. As has been stated, there are tons of other movies, music, etc that has taken a satirical plot similar to this which has gone unnoticed by the masses. Hell, even the more serious action movies have dealt with assassination plots & were not met with this backlash. But if they did, then those responsible would have to weigh the options on how serious the threat vs having their chosen art form seen. Most people\countries dont bother raising an eyebrow to these things because they have the common sense to realize its satirical or based in fiction. These individuals & N. Korea are a different animal.

Now the name thing is a big stretch & anyone taking that stance, ready to throw ammo around about it, would basically be declaring war over the most trivial of things. Completely different than a movie depicting a plot to kill the factual leader of a real country. Given the nature and attitude of their country I can see how they would be pissy about it, but many others have surely been upset about various depictions of their leaders\countries over the years. The difference is that these people may actually be serious & that unknown is not worth a few ticket sales.

Again, this is a comedy film & not something major that is being censored or black-listed. Does it open the door for future situations where some things may be denied distribution? Possibly, but I doubt it will get so out of hand that it warrants an out-cry against censorship from the artists\media or the possibility of going to war over it.

If they did show the film & people were attacked, would you come here & say "Sorry about your family, but no terrorist will deny my right to watch this mediocre comedy!" I surely hope not. So where is your line? Picking your battles over this sort of thing is not so cut and dry when there are different factors at play like the validity of the threats or the importance of the material. Besides, its over a fucking stoner comedy, not like they are burning books in the town square.

I fail to see why everyone keeps bringing up the Constitution and the right to do stuff.

Seth Rogen and his stoner friends have the right to make the movie, which they did. After they made the movie, in order to make as much money as possible they sold the distribution rights to Sony. Sony as such has the right to do with the movie what they please.

And the reason North Korea is a bit more of a threat is because of this:
japan-korea1.gif

Sony is a Japanese company. They are very close to North Korea and have a much smaller defense budget, and as such North Korea is a bigger threat.

And the reason North Korea is a bit more of a threat is because of this:
japan-korea1.gif

Sony is a Japanese company. They are very close to North Korea and have a much smaller defense budget, and as such North Korea is a bigger threat.

This is an interesting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back