So After Watching Impact....

SuperKick36

Pre-Show Stalwart
**I am posting this in the WWE thread because I am, and have been, a WWE fan. This is ultimately about WWE's current product. If it still needs to be moved, then my bad.

I've got a few thoughts I need to get off my chest, and wanted to share them with other wrestling/WWE fans, and see what others thing about the things I'm about to say.

I will start off by saying this: I am a WWE fan, and have been ever since they bought-out WCW. During the Monday Night Wars is when I really got into wrestling. This was as a kid who was just getting away from the "cooties" stage. I did watch WWF during the Attitude Era, as a matter of fact my first live wrestling even was in St. Louis at the Kiel Center, and I saw a fatal four way between Kane, Man Kind, Austin, and I believe the Rock (not positive). I also saw HHH's ass for the first time when he mooned us to cheer up Shawn Michaels after a loss. I used to go over to my friend's house every Monday night and we would watch Nitro, and I got really into Sting and his character, and the NWO, and bad-guy Hollywood Hogan, The Giant, Rey Mysterio, Juvi, CHRIS BENOIT, Harlem Heat, DDP, Meng, I mean I can keep going. Of course, being a kid, I never understood what really happened to WCW, I thought that the companies just merged, I was too blissful to see the failure.

Of course, since many of my favorite stars were now in WWE, I started watching more of that product, and became a WWE fan and have been one ever since. There was a time when I hardly watched the product and had to keep up with it online because I didn't have cable television, and my friend that did moved away. Once I finally got cable in my parent's house, I immediately watched WWE once more. Of course, this was right before Lesnar left and the rise of John Cena. This was when I became a weekly viewer of the WWE, particularly Raw and occasionally Smackdown. I knew about TNA, but was not really interested because it was a small company and didn't really have the "big stars".

*FAST FORWARD TO TODAY*

I just got done watching Impact. Not for the first time, but for the first time without switching channels or getting distracted, and really tuning into the show. The last time I even tried, all I heard was shots at WWE, and the only thing that impressed me was Bobby Roode (BTW, he needs to grow his hair back out, he looked better that way). Well, this time around, I am much more impressed. While the shots were still taken, they were for good reason (AJ Styles commenting on AJ Lee entering the elevator, that cracked me up). As a matter of fact, I will be trying to tune into Impact weekly now because I enjoyed the show THAT MUCH.

Each wrestler got some form of air time, they didn't put over one wrestler as "the best" or one wrestler as "the face" (I think they really need a defined couple of faces though). It was nice seeing Jeff Hardy, Kurt Angle, Ken Kennedy, and... Sting. I missed him, but didn't care to watch a Hulk Hogan production. That being said, I was incredibly impressed that Hogan was not the center of attention, but added to each story line like your typical General Manager. As a matter of fact, he is currently "involved" in what is basically a lower card feud with Matt Morgan who is re-structuring his TNA career.

I like how there are multiple men in the world title picture, not just one. I like how RVD is carrying a title to eventually put over another kid. I like how Samoa Joe is a big guy who is athletic. I like how Kurt Angle is Kurt Angle. I like how Sting is STILL the Icon, the wrestler that I once loved and idolized.

... I find myself a little taken back about my feelings about Impact wrestling.

Now back to the WWE. Perhaps it's because the past several weeks have been despicably awful; the writing sucks, the character development sucks, it's like they aren't even trying. Ryback is pushed to the moon, but you aren't given anything for what could happen to him AFTER Punk. WWE doesn't keep your wheels turning, I'm not wondering what could possibly happen, the wrestling is repetitive, the wrestlers are under rules/in-ring policies that impede their ability to do certain move-sets. Hell, they aren't even supposed to BLEED, which is and always has been a part of wrestling!! All for the sake of keeping the wrestlers safe (not saying this is a bad thing) and the product kid-friendly (so a kid doesn't decide to suplex his little brother into a 1970's TV set).

I can honestly say that, with watching Impact on a weekly basis now, I may become more of a TNA fan than a WWE fan. I'm also going to go out on a limb here and guess that I'm not the only one.

But, perhaps this is a good thing. Perhaps this is not only going to help TNA, but WWE as well. WWE is obviously building for the future of the company by attracting kids, a new generation of fans... although I can see the point of this, I also have my concerns. With WWE trying to bring in younger fans, they are going to start losing the interest of the older fans until the product becomes more mature. Anyway, I'm starting to think if TNA continues to improve each week, and I may be wrong, but I strongly feel that within the next fifteen years we will see the rise of another wrestling company war, or another "Monday Night Wars" if you will...

... and at this rate, I might just be on the other side.

So why is this in the wwe section? its a thread about TNA

Any Who you're in for a treat then cause this weeks impact was pretty bad compared to most of the recent episodes.

FYI Hogan is involved in everything and you will quickly get tried of it.

Tna is probably worse than wwe at getting everyone involved in the show they go weeks at time where guys don't even show up cause TNA creative has nothing for them. Atleast wwe has the guys on the show (like Wade Barret and Dolph Ziggler most weeks.)

Tna won't compete with wwe until they get the funds to and promote themselves better than they currently do.

I disagree with the guy above. This weeks Impact was good. TNA has been good for a while now, way better than the crapfest that is WWE. I've been more of a TNA fan than WWE fan for over 5 years now. Some days I wonder why I even bother with WWE anymore. I guess it's just a habit, Monday comes and Raw clicks on. Of course there's nothing else on, so that could be why as well. Anyway, TNA is better than WWE these days, by far.

I watch both TNA and WWE. Liked the AJ line and The unmasking of Luke Gallows. I'm just wondering when they're going to drop Joseph Parks and go back to Abyss. Liked how they dedicated the beginning of the show to Brad Armstrong.

TNA and WWE operates on very different levels. WWE tour around the world constantly and fatigue is a factor. A more repetitive system is ideal so there is a routine for the talent to fall back on to maintain a respectable level of quality on the road. It is more as a precautionary measure to reduce risks of injuries and save the talent for more $$$ events like PPVs.

Every successful promotion build around a dominant star. Sports franchises have franchise players to build around. Golf have Tiger Woods. Cycling had Lance Armstrong. Tennis have Roger Federer. Boxing have Pac-man. Without these DOMINANT athletes, their respective sports would be much less popular. Having a defined 'best' of the best is what keep people interested, can the 'best' hold on to the streak, will he flop unexpectedly or will someone new take over? It is easier to give someone a career boost if there is a defined top dog by having the guy being pushed a clean win over the previous top dog too.

Ryback was a back up plan after Cena's injury. In all likelihood, Ryback was probably going to feud with Miz or Dolph Ziggler before Cena needed more time to recover. Nobody plans in depth for the back up plan ahead of time, so I won't use it as a knock on WWE yet.

The problem with WWE is that their wrestlers are bland and boring. The matches in WWE suck and there is too much comedy and storylines and very less GOOD Wrestling whereas in TNA they have great wrestlers, their matches are much better with less drama unlike WWE.

All in all, the TNA product has improved dramatically over the course of this past year.

Personally though, I thought last night's episode sucked. The wrestling was lame and the main storyline is a bland, uninteresting angle involving a faction that's come into take over TNA. Basically, it's another nWo themed storyline that TNA has done for years. The only difference is that TNA has tried to rip off Sons of Anarchy a little bit by having this faction be some sort of biker club. If you're someone that's not into it, then having Luke Gallows revealed as a member won't get things going.

ProWrestlingFan:

"The problem with WWE is that their wrestlers are bland and boring. The matches in WWE suck and there is too much comedy and storylines and very less GOOD Wrestling whereas in TNA they have great wrestlers, their matches are much better with less drama unlike WWE."

Everyone's entitled to their opinion in what they're into and not into. I definitely have to disagree on almost everything you said. I think both TNA & WWE have a great roster. They both have issues in which talented wrestlers are often not used to the fullest of their ability but, then again, every wrestling company is like that. They're using who they think will ultimately make them the most money.

As for the comedy stuff, WWE has cut back on the comedy a lot over the past few years. Last night on TNA, there was an intergender match between ODB and Jesse. I suppose the antics that went on don't count as comedy huh? :p

Both TNA & WWE have issues right now, there are always issues to one degree or another that are always going on.

To me.. Impact seems more.. personal! Meaning the feuds seem more real. What in the world was the Ryback build up to feud with Punk? I am starting to lean more towards Impact myself, the main problem with Impact is crowded roster and no time for everyone.

And yes i know i have 4WWE beside my name, i made this SN fast years ago, just rarely post. Thinking about changing it to something mutual haha

This is like reading my thoughts from two years ago.

It seems as if as soon as the fanboyism within WWE fans starts to wear off and they give TNA a real chance, they realize that while the show isn't the best fucking thing on the planet, it's pretty damn good and can be enjoyed on a weekly basis.

I firmly stick to my opinion that a good chunk of the WWE fans watch it because they can't allow themselves to stop and the MAIN reason why they watch is NOT the quality of the show. Again, I don't want JJYanks jumping on my nuts and twisting my word as usual. I still think there's also a good chunk who still like the show and draw enjoyment out of it but denying that there are THOSE who won't let go off the WWE and explore other options DESPITE not being as satisfied as the product as they'd like to be, is idiotic.

You seem to be one of those people. You can tell me whether this assumption of mine is wrong or right but ... have you been feeling THOSE thoughts for a while? I'm guessing you have, why else would you try TNA. Well, you ain't gonna change your opinion about WWE I know that much. It's been 5 years since I was a legit WWE fan, I tune in every now and then, I tune in for an entire month and I just don't see a fucking point. I don't, I get nothing BACK from the product. I do with TNA.

Now as far as you starting to like TNA, it should grow with time. They're not always stellar, they'll fuck up and do things you don't like but that's no reason to drop the entire program. You simply get better programming with TNA. For fans like you and I, TNA's the way to go. The more you watch the more you'll enjoy it. Give 'em a chance, keep on tuning in and you'll get some good wrestling on your screen.

Both TNA and WWE suck. The only difference is that WWE's suck is more out there because they are bigger and not many people watch TNA.

It just amazes me the amount of fanyboyism that goes on with both companies. It's like people don't watch for the wrestlers and watch for the company. WTF is the point of that?

Nothing is going to change with the WWE until Vince is gone. But then you have to hope that Steph is not Vinnie Jr.

I DVR both companies and watch the wrestlers I like. No point in watching the whole show when 90% of it sucks.

Both TNA and WWE suck. The only difference is that WWE's suck is more out there because they are bigger and not many people watch TNA.

It just amazes me the amount of fanyboyism that goes on with both companies. It's like people don't watch for the wrestlers and watch for the company. WTF is the point of that?

Nothing is going to change with the WWE until Vince is gone. But then you have to hope that Steph is not Vinnie Jr.

I DVR both companies and watch the wrestlers I like. No point in watching the whole show when 90% of it sucks.

What's even worse than fanboys are people like you. People who think they're cool when they say both companies suck. Usually, "fans" like that are either TNA fanboys trying to defend TNA's flaws by saying that WWE also sucks OR WWE fans trying to defend WWE's flaws by saying TNA also sucks.

If both companies suck, or at least 90% of them sucks, why the hell are you watching? To see your "favorite wrestlers"? Bullshit.

If you don't watch the whole show, RAW or iMPACT, you're really in no position to say that even ONE of them sucks, let the both of them.

I'm sick of people like you. You either like one and watch that while shitting on he other (or not) or you like both and watch both. Anything beyond that is just trying to sound cool and it makes no sense.

Fact is, Impact is way more watchable than Raw or Smackdown. End of story. There isn't even a contest. Any unbiased source will tell you this.

With that said, Impact has not been as good as it was earlier this year.

Three huge positives and huge negatives of each show:

TNA Impact Wrestling
Positives

-Jeff Hardy has the belt again
-The dialogue and promos are hilarious from beginning to end
-(in wrestling terms) unpredictable

Negatives

-Simple production errors are aired
-Midcard is simply unestablished
-Crowd is terrible

WWE Raw/Smackdown
Positives

-Paul Heyman and CM Punk
-Tag Team division has some life again
-The things I'd do to AJ Lee....

Negatives

-Meaningless matches from week-to-week (especially tag matches)
-Lackluster storylines and finishes and predictability
-Ryback momentum and build-up destroyed

Lately I have been enjoying TNA's writing over WWE's writing mainly because the fueds seem to have a purpose for why they happen and are built better. Bobby Roode and James Storm, the currenty Hardy and Aries fued, whats building between Devon and Bully. These are decent stories that are, or have been given time to develop and allow people to connect with the characters.

By contrast in WWE you get Ryback jumping from no name jobbers to The Miz to CM Punk in the span on a months time. This is pathetic build, it handed Ryback his first loss, which from what I have seen from the people around me that liked him as killed their interest in him, and it resulted in a rather lack luster match. It's not just this one example, ADR vs Sheamus was pathetic build and a waste of time and no one connected with the fans. Hell the guy who most connects with fans in WWE right now isn't even holding a world title, see Daniel Bryan. While Bryan is in a very entertaining situation he could, and should, be used so much better in the world title picture.

Thats not to say WWE doesn't have it's high moments, Sheamus vs Big Show was surprising and very entertaining, the Tag team division is reinvigorated, and Ziggler about to be in the biggest fued of his career with Cena. I'm hoping they can build on this and get back to where they need to be because right now this isn't enough to carry a 3 hour show.

Man you should have started watching properly about 3 months ago. Impact was, on a weekly basis, beating Raw's brains in for quality.

Aces & 8s started promisingly but has tailed off and is slowly taking the show down to where Bischoff and Jarrett will be revealed as the leaders and we'll be right back in 2011. I also hated the shot at the AJ and Cena angle, I thought TNA was past that bush league nonsense.

Man you should have started watching properly about 3 months ago. Impact was, on a weekly basis, beating Raw's brains in for quality.

Aces & 8s started promisingly but has tailed off and is slowly taking the show down to where Bischoff and Jarrett will be revealed as the leaders and we'll be right back in 2011. I also hated the shot at the AJ and Cena angle, I thought TNA was past that bush league nonsense.

Agreed. TNA was putting on some really good stuff for awhile but it definitely has slowed down. Agree with everything that was just posted.

I'll throw my hat into the ring that gets more out of the TNA product than the current WWE product. The only time I feel WWE rewards its fans is when they bring back guys like Lesner, Taker, Rock...at least TNA is in the business of building characters and letting them run with their roles. Take Kaz and Daniels for example - a serious but highly entertaining tag team who make story lines out of anything because they are given free run to speak and show personality. In contrast Prime Time Players sing "millions of dollars" and have no other personality. Magnus may be a bit player but at least every time he shows up he is after Joe; take Kofi on the "E" side and what is there to him other than "boom boom boom".

The bottom line is TNA, with all their flaws, seems to be willing to let guys speak and provide story to the character. All the multi-cam shoot interviews in the locker room for who deserves a match provides insight to a character. All you get with WWE is an entrance and sometimes not even that. So Wade Barret is a brawler - WHY does he deserve a shot at anything??

Too often Raw feels like it is linear - each segment is stand alone and if you watched it on any night at any time it wouldnt matter. TNA gives you 2 hours of story and like it or not, its a story. I can't tell you why the Diva's title is being fought over (because there is no prestige in holding it), but I can tell you that ODB and Tara have a rivalry over ODB being interested in Tara's man. And its not like the knockouts get a ton of attention, the attention they do get isn't wasted.

WWE keeps wasting people with a whole lot of nothing while TNA makes the most out of little things. Joey Ryan is another good example. He has character depth and was featured once a month for a few months since his Gut Check. I'd rather his introduction than Brodus Clay or Ryback who had huge potential but literally have NO story. They show up, squash people, and move on. Give me substance over theatrics any day and I'm in. Wrestling should always be about substance, in ring, on mic, or backstage -- production only enhances it and right now WWE's production is enhancing dogshit

Add long term booking to the compare/contrasts of WWE and TNA.....imagine WWE slow building a reveal like Aces & 8s. People may complain Devon is a poor choice as the first reveal and that Bischoff and Jarret will be more of the same, but at least the company is working with what they have and making the most of it. WWE let Nexus die in what seems to be the time A's & 8s has been booked.

I don't think tna should improve there product but instead they should go to larger arenas even of they don't sell out turn the God damn lights on just make the presentation better then work around then work on the product.

It sad but Wrestling does not sell.

Before i say anything, someone here pointed out the positives and negatives about the WWE, in the positives he said that the tag team division is getting better, and in the negatives he said that the tag team division is a waste, so wich one is it?? Now back to the thread, why does ever fan of a surtain company always take shots at the other? Why not just watch both and enjoy the product, both the WWE and TNA are really good in some areas and suck really bad on some other areas, but that's the cool thing about watching both products, whatever you didn't enjoy in one, you can on the other, simple as that, is like in another sport, let's say baseball, you love one team, but you always have another team that you follow besides your team, it's the same thing here, and me personally, i hope TNA does much better, and maybe then the WWE will try harder, and we can have some serious competition and have quality shows on both companies.......

Seeing how the WWE are stealing all of TNA's ideas, I will go out on the limb and say that even the WWE thinks TNA is better. I mean I turned on Smackdown and saw a video and narrator to open the show, I swear I thought I was watching Impact.Tna is better and the WWE know it.

As an old fart and someone who has watched wrestling his entire life, wrestling seems to ebb and flow like everything else. We're in a down cycle. I hope that it will bounce back and be exciting again. I think the best way to do that is to have a company challenge WWE. TNA is not to that point. They're no where close. However, they've been putting on a product that for the most part has been more entertaining to me for a long time.

I grew up in the South and watched the 4 Horsemen in their prime. I was NWA through and through. Attending Starrcade and any event that made it's way through Greensboro. So, the alternative to WWE has always been more appealing to me. As a Kid, I watched both and still do. WWE always has always been more about creating characters that are larger than life and sometimes cartoonish. Think Honky Tonk Man, Brutus the Barber, Koko B. Ware, Hillbilly Jim, Hercules, Akeem The Dream, Big Bossman, The Undertaker, Kane, Mankind, Deisel, Razor Ramon, and many others. While back in the day, WCW was more about letting the guys be themselves. Characters had real names and just were being their own personalities turned up a notch. Think, Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Dusty Rhodes, Ricky Steamboat, Lex Luger, Barry Windham, Brian Pillman, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash.

Then we had the Monday Night Wars. WWE made a switch. Characters got more real. Steve Austin, Rock, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Triple H. WWE took the machine and exploded and eventually won the war. But, during this time, for the first time, I became a fan of WWE because I wasn't having to suspend disbelief that a Barber and a Clown were fighting. It was two guys with real names going at it.

Now, today, while the names are not silly like they used to be, WWE feels like they are forcing "characters" in our faces, again. John Cena feels like he is being forced to be MR. PG, instead of the smack talking guy who got us to like him in the first place. Mr. Irish, Sheamus. Prime Time Players don't feel like they are worth "Millions of Dollars." 3MB, seriously, a guy in a Turban playing air guitar. That feels real. Even a guy like Daniel Bryan, who is doing the best he can and making it work, has turned into a character. Damien Sandow, the genius. Ryback. Brodus Clay. Santino. Tensai. All these guys are playing a character, not being themselves or at least not in my eyes.

In TNA, we have guys who are just being themselves with the volume turned up. I can take one guy who wears a mask and calls himself a monster, but not a roster full. For me, this is why I prefer TNA. It's what I grew up on in NWA. Cause let's face it, both companies have crappy storylines sometimes. Both companies have flaws. But, for me, the more realistic personalities that are in TNA make me like it more.

I feel it's not a WWE vs TNA issue, but it's more of the pro wrestling product being over saturated for us fans. Ever since Raw went 3 hours, Main Event debuted, I feel that there is too much wrestling during the week. Impact is good, but for those who watch both products are likely burned out by the end of the week. I used to watch SmackDown on a regular basis but ever since Raw went 3 hours, I hardly watch it mostly because I got my wrestling fix on Monday nights for 3 hours.

In the end, this issue needs to be fixed.

Maybe the fake heart attack angle is a sign that things are gonna be more raunchy. THANK GOD! I was a child during the attitude era. Vince didn't give a damn about my young sensibilities then.

TNA is producing a better show. It's just more fun to watch. They're FINALLY making good decisions!

I been watching WWE for a long time. Which yes right now WWE's product isnt great. I think that WWE is actually at the point that it's over produced. They are the main company, no one is compeating with them. So they are just getting lazy. Now they are just sitting back and not coming up with any great storylines. When they come up with something that seems like it will be good it usally just falls apart and dosnt go anywhere. Heck they are not even coming up with their own ideas now. The whole AJ scandule, then now they are having a vocie over lead in to the shows. WWE needs to stop taking stuff from TNA, just throwin money at the product and especting it to make it good. Vince threw a bunch of money at Linda's last 2 campains and how did that work out?

As for TNA, I started to try to watch their show a few years ago. Then seen Sharkboy rippin off Stone Cold and I was like well that is enough of that. Then last year I started watching again. The product has gotten better. The stories are better and as people have said seem more personal. The product is not as predictable. Now they are not perfect but they are getting better.

I watch both companies and for me it boils down to one thing: I am not a little kid anymore. That seems to be the direction and audience the WWE caters to. Its the same reason I don't really buy Nintendo products anymore. Are there a few things about both companies that cater to older fans? Yeah but for the most part its geared toward a very strict family experience.

I am not looking for spot fests, death matches, or anything of that nature. I am looking for real drama, legitimate move sets, and a product that isn't heavily influenced by politics or public perception. TNA doesn't always deliver with this but lately they've been more consistent then the WWE in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back