Single Parent Holiday?

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
Simple enough - Do we need one?

This is a question spawning from the stupidity of Women who're single Parents, believing they have a right to something on Father's Day. On Facebook the other day reading one of the many stupid group comment blogs (whatever they're called) a Woman claimed she deserved as much "right" to Father's Day, as any male out there - because she was a Single Parent raising her children and played the role of both a Mother and a Father.

So, of course I had to complain because the Holiday doesn't state "To Celebrate ALL the Father's of the world.. .. .. .. unless you're a single Parent Mother, with multi-gender parts, who wants to find another spotlight to steal."

The more I discussed this with some friends at work, the more we decided that we have 3 "Adult" Holidays. Father's Day for Men. Mother's Day for Women. And for some reason, Grandparent's Day for people who live long enough to see their kids have kids. (Why is that even a Holiday, might I add.)

Yet there is no holiday for the single Parent in this world, who believes because they got screwed :)icon_rolleyes:) they deserve twice the spotlight.

So, I ask again - should we consider an extra Holiday, similar to that of Father's, Mother's, or Grandparent's Day.. for the Single Parents of the world?

An extra holiday? Lol, is this like, something people are actually asking for? I hope not, it sounds completely stupid. To be fair, I do see the whole "Well, I act like a mother AND father to my child(ren)" coming from either sex, if they're a single parent. I don't think they have a 'right' to something on the day opposite to their gender - because they don't have a 'right' to something on THEIR gender day.

It's up to the child. My mum's a single parent, but I've never thought of getting her something for Fathers day - I generally spend that with my grandad, seeings as I don't think we have 'Grandparents Day' here. (Is that real? Lol). If your child wants an extra day to thank their single parent for raising them, and does so by getting a gift/card then there's nothing wrong with it. Having a day to celebrate being a single parent however, is absurd.

Why do these women even want a day to be recognised, again? Not trying to be 'cheesy' or naive here, but is it wrong to still believe you get your reward from watching your children grow up happy? That's how I feel, anyway. As a daughter, I want to get my mother something to say thank you, but as a 'mother', all I want is for my kids to be happy. Yet there are people out there wanting another day to be praised? Seems stupid to me.

Yes, that is totally what we need, ANOTHER fucking day for people to be "recognized" for not being a peice of shit and fufilling their duties as a fucking (literally, as it were) human being.

Mothers day and fathers day and well, the vast majority of holidays are stupid as fuck. Celebrating and exhalting being a good, steadfast, decent human being.

Is it necessary? Fucking shit no it isnt. Your average human LOVES nothing better but to wallow in adulation over nothing though,so you could probably get this pushed through and make a shit ton of money off it. So go for it, Will :lmao:

I do not think that a single parent should have a single parent holiday, there's no need to be greedy to have yet another holiday when in reality you have both the fathers day for the fathers, and mothers day for the mothers.

I find the mother you mention to be idiotic, is her ex husband or ex boyfriend complaining because you have mothers day? he's a mother for the child as well isn't he? yes he is.

There's no need to over float the year with special days for the parents, there's birthdays, Christmas (to some extend) New Year's Eve etc. something where the parents can do what they wanna do, while sharing time with their children.

And the final thing, is the exact thing that matters, sharing time with your child, rather than crying because you're not being acknowledged for one extra day a year.

It sounds moronic to me. Whoever this lady was it sounds like she was just fishing for something to complain about and this happened to come along first. You get mother's day and single parent fathers get fathers day so just chill the f#ck out and go spend time with your child instead of complaining that they're not saying, "Thanks for being a mom and thanks for ....umm.........being a dad? What a way to f*ck up a kid.

Well no because they are either a mother or a father so they have a day already. Its not like the days specialness (i dont think thats a word but bear with me) is ranked depending on the level of what you do, it shows appreciation for the parent and what they do for you. I didnt say to my dad on fathers day, happy fathers day, heres your present, it would have been more but we have mum so your role is decreased.

The person who said that clearly feels bitter at the lack of a father figure for her child and feels she has to do that role too, but its not like she should feel like she needs extra recognition because she is being an excellent mother if she is able to make up for the absence of a father. And in the same way that a father would be an excellent father if they can make up for the absence of a mother.

Single parents day would be stupid anyway because what happens if the person gets a partner and then the child gets a step parent, but its like 2 months before single parents day. How confused would that child be? "You were a single parent 10 months of the year but for the final 2 you were not so im gonna have to return your card/present."

Fathers day is a bullshit holiday anyway. Did you know that the concept of Mother's Day has existed since the Roman Empire, yet father's day was conceived at the beginning of the 20th century?

It was made up by retailers to guilt us all into spending more money on one another. Nothing more.

Now singl mother's want to be acknowledged on both days? Fuck them! They're trying to exploit their situation to get more gifts from their children, which is disgusting and those women should be ashamed. I pity the children who have such self-serving assholes like that as their only parent in this world.

Apparently some countries celebrate 'Parents day' and 'Children's day' as well! Since when were we supposed to pay for our families love?

Maybe Hallmark is just trying to start another holiday so they have another excuse to sell cards. Also, don't we get enough gifts as a society, there's are birthday, anniversaries, fathers/mothers day, and we get candy on Halloween and Valentines Day every year.

There are a bunch of holidays that are just pointless. Labor Day, Veterans Day, Memorial Day, Presidents Day, Dr. King Day, Columbus Day, who actually takes the time to recognize the intended significance of these days. People like my Dad who work at the airport don't even get these days off, its just a day for kids, government, and most white collar workers to get a day off. If you work at say a restaurant, these are the days you work the hardest. Having all of these holidays just lessen their significance.

We (USA) actually already have a "Parent's Day", established back in 1994, which celebrates the notion that "..raising children in a proper way requires the presence and combined endeavor of both parents and hence there needed to be an occasion that appreciated parents collectively."
So if we already have a joint Parent's Day, what the hell, let's add a single parent day too. BTW Parent's day is held on the fourth Sunday of every July. ;) What's the worst that could happen? What's one more meaningless holiday that few will observe or care about (save for those raised by single parent's wanting extra gifts of course)? I don't see much of a down side, as it can just be avoided and/or forgotten about, and I suppose there must be an upside to someone out there.

So to be perfectly honest the whole point of this was to just show off how stupid and naive the Woman was being, in trying to be greedy through wanting more attention that she "has it rough".

There is no reason, good or otherwise, to have any such thing as "Single Parent's Day" and the reason(s) have already been stated. None better than how uncomfortable it would be to celebrate such a stupid event.

Another reason that (to my knowledge) no one has brought up, on why it couldn't/wouldn't work, is because a lot of Single Parent's aren't raising the child(ren) alone. One Parent may have more legal control, or supervision, over the child(ren) than the other - but plenty of Single Parent's are more just "split up" than avoiding one another. So, to celebrate such a day would bring up the question - who gets the right to have the kid(s) on that day? If there are two sets of Parents (Mother & Father), you can't equally share them because it'd defeat the purpose of being considered "a Single Parent". And, as LigerBomb pointed out - we (apparently) already have a "Parent's Day".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back