Sin Cara - Carrying the US and IC titles into Unification?

Sheamus' Suntan

A hound of justice
Sin_Cara_Joins_WWE_2011.jpg

Sin Cara debuted on March 4th 2011 on RAW after several weeks of vignette videos. He is being heralded as the "new Rey Mysterio" and is set to take over from Rey when Rey leaves or retires.

Now a lot of people seem to believe that Sin Cara should be world champion by end of the year but I don't believe this. I believe he should have the Rey treatment and not get the world title for a good few years, but he should help build the mid card division.

He's right now gunning for "bullys". Sheamus. Jack Swagger. They're both seen as bully's in WWE. Now...Sheamus is the US champ. It could only be a matter of time before he guns for The Corre as they're seen in the same light as well as The New Nexus.

Barrett being the IC champ...and Sheamus being the US champ could be the opening for the unification we've been told will happen eventually. As WWE seem to be slowly unifying the titles, could we see Sin Cara being the key to this?

If so...

How would you like to see it happen?
How would you book it?
Would you give Sin Cara the titles or someone else?

I'll answer first...

I'd like to see it around Summerslam time. I would have Sin Cara keep going after the bullys and have him pick a fight with Barrett and The Corre. This happens on SD then on RAW, he picks a fight with CM Punk and The New Nexus. Sheamus comes out and goes to hit the brogue kick, Cara ducks it and it hits one of the new Nexus. Punk argues with Sheamus, out comes Barrett and The Corre.

We end up with a huge moment with 12 - 13 guys in the ring including everyone that Cara has stopped and everyone who is involved in current feuds.

GM of RAW beeps up on the laptop and announces a huge match. A 6 pack challenge with the members of The Corre and New Nexus banned. The only members allowed in are CM Punk and Barrett as the match will be; CM Punk vs Wade Barrett vs Sin Cara vs Jack Swagger vs Kofi Kingston vs Sheamus and the winner walks out with both titles.

I personally wouldn't put it on Cara at this point as it would be more fun to watch him chase the titles after. I'd probably put the unified titles onto Swagger to give him some more relevance or Sheamus to help build him up further.

What does everyone think and how would you book it?

While I'm certainly no advocate of putting the WWE title on him right off the bat, with all the promotion, press conferences, and fanfare they've given him, throwing him right to the midcard would be nothing short of stupid. I think he should be given the Alberto Del Rio treatment, upper midcard right away, and a world title by next summer.

god no, don't let Sin Cara be the one to unify them. truth be told, i hate that whole style that wrestlers like him, mysterio, etc do. the movies are video game moves - they look flashy but they have nothing to do with wrestling. don't get me wrong - a little flash is okay(the people's elbow would never work either) but when your opponent has to sell every single move to the max or else it looks dumb, then something is wrong. ankle lock - not hard to sell especially if someone puts a little extra pressure on it. power bomb - a little hokey but being dropped from that high is dangerous in reality. 619 - why do they just lay there on the middle rope like that? makes no sense. and on top of that, they go flying back once they are kicked. shouldn't they just crumple like an orton punt to the head? (why the orton punt puts people out of action yet this one doesn't is a whole different matter)

as for unifying them, i think they will the same way they did when they unified the world/wwe title with jericho and put it on someone who they have built and need to give that extra push to. i can see sheamus or jack swagger but since they are already world/wwe champs, i don't know if this is the kind of rub they need. same with punk - he has done too much already to be fighting over one of these championships and not win it easily. i think it will be either kofi or daniel bryan - probably bryan vs barrett and bryan wins all. that will give him the push people want and allow him use that as a stepping stone to the wwe or world title.

god no, don't let Sin Cara be the one to unify them. truth be told, i hate that whole style that wrestlers like him, mysterio, etc do. the movies are video game moves - they look flashy but they have nothing to do with wrestling. don't get me wrong - a little flash is okay(the people's elbow would never work either) but when your opponent has to sell every single move to the max or else it looks dumb, then something is wrong. ankle lock - not hard to sell especially if someone puts a little extra pressure on it. power bomb - a little hokey but being dropped from that high is dangerous in reality. 619 - why do they just lay there on the middle rope like that? makes no sense. and on top of that, they go flying back once they are kicked. shouldn't they just crumple like an orton punt to the head? (why the orton punt puts people out of action yet this one doesn't is a whole different matter)

What are you talking about bro? They have nothing to do with wrestling? That is wrestling. Professional wrestling. If you want things to be realistic you need to go ahead and check out the Ultimate Fighting Championship and Mixed Martial Arts. Have you even seen Sin Cara in a match, outside of his stint in the WWE? It's not hard to sell one of those 'flashy moves that you have to try to sell to the max'. Whatever that means. You have to try and sell everything to the max, that is if you want to be a good wrestler. John Cena's Attitude Adjustment isn't flashy, but it damn sure wouldn't hurt nearly as bad as they sell it. Your argument about flashy moves was laughable.

Now back to the actual topic. I would love to see someone like Sin Cara bring the belts together. They need some fresh guys to come in and help the mid card become legit again. Sheamus and Daniel Bryan were doing a good job of that. Remember the days of matches like Booker T vs Chris Benoit? Chris Jericho vs Kurt Angle? That was what made it so special. I feel like if they keep bringing in more guys like Sin Cara and Daniel Bryan, that the unification will happen sooner then later, so that it can set up a more stacked division. We all miss good feuds, especially over the mid card belts. I could honestly see Sin Cara doing it like you played it out (OP), maybe not the ending, but I could see him being another giant/bully killer type guy. If it's not him to unify the belts, he'll probably be in the title picture the whole time. At least he better be the way they're building him up taking out former world champions.

Reactions: TLC
Why is every other thread that gets started in the WWE section want to unify the belts? I mean I don't understand that. Nothing against Sin Cara which I think he is a fabulous wrestle...I mean entertainer/superstar(can't use wrestle in WWE almost forgot). Lets just say Vince never bought out ECW and WCW. How many people would he have on his roster. Somewhere around 40. How many is on all of his roster now? 90-120 this includes FCW. Why do we want to unify all the belts? By simple business logic and the fact that he now has to have his top guys wrest...entertain now 4 or 5 days instead of 2 or 3. I know its all scripted and such but what they do also allows for them to get seriously injured, plus i would imagine the roster would get cut back down to around 60 for the two shows, so 30-60 people would be out of a job, which means less depth on the roster and more burnout like Benoit.

Now your topic of Sin Cara he could get both championships and defend them on a regular basis. I wouldn't mind seeing him wrestle a match on a ppv defending the us title then have to come out and defend the IC title. I think that would make it more interesting and give them more opportunities to come up with opponents from each show who might take a title from him, they could carry this out for like 6 months until he finally drops one then the other say at the RR.

I think the reasoning for me posting about the unification idea is PURELY because it seems to be the way WWE is going and there was a report around it earlier last year that said Vince wanted to unify all of the championships in the end. Whether or not it'll ACTUALLY happen or whether they just did the titles they've done because the divisions are dead is another matter. I'm not 100% sure either way but it does seem like, right now, they are unifying the titles.

I think if anyone, with the current angle that is running, Sin Cara could be the unifying point for the US and IC championships. He seems to be going after all of the "bully" characters, across both SD and RAW. I'm guessing this is to expose Sin Cara more to the audience and get people wanting to watch him and it works. The moment he makes that sprint then leaps the top rope, people want to see more.

I guess we'll have to see how it works out but I definitely would have Sin Cara be the reasoning for why, even if he didn't become champ in the end through it.

Honestly, I would not give the titles to Sin Cara. If I were to do anything like this, I would have a guy like DB, Wade Barrett, Kofi Kingston, or Sheamus carry the mid-card championship. All these guys are on the verge of being Main Eventers with Sheamus and Barrett already tasting the main event scene it makes the title more of a prize to have. If what were are doing is unifying them, which I am against, I would hold a tournament of 16 culminating at Night of the Champions. The winner: Sheamus.

I think it's really dangerous to put a title on a newcomer. It's not because of his style or anything like that. I just think it's a bit too soon. Let him establish himself and prove that he can have a feud with someone without a title. Once he can do that, then put him somewhere in the title picture. Have him try and fail so once he wins it, makes the belt that much more worth it.

I agree with Yurnewhero Sin Cara deserves upper mid card main event status like Alberto Del Rio. He is no rookie to the ring or wrestling he is a huge international star and more than likely will have more fans then the alleged CenaNation by the end of the year. If I was WWE I would push for him to dethrone the Miz why? Because his ring style is like no other alot of people compare him to Rey Mysterio but real wrestling fans know thats how all the wrestlers wrestle in Mexico. Sin Cara is not a copy of Rey Mysterio, He is his own man and Sin Cara amazing moves to dethrone the Miz would be great because Miz can do all the talking and Sin Cara not say anything until he beats him for the WWE title. Sin Cara will be everyone's new favorite in know time so why give him bull shit titles when he should get the WWE title

Sin Cara should not be the one, at least not yet. He has fought one match on Raw against Primo (who I thought had been future endeavored). As great as he is, he has not lived up to all of the hype in my opinion. Botched entrance twice, plus a botched ending against Primo, and other moves he has done in his promos but has not been able to execute in a match (i.e. the head scissors where he lands on his feet). He needs to unveil more of his itinerary, like the finisher you can find on youtube (the best way to describe it is a tilt-a-whirl armbar/crossface).

All in all, if he is the man that is going to merge those titles/bring credibility back to the mid-card, he needs to execute better.

I have two serious issues with this idea:

One, I think it's a terrible idea to unify any of the titles as I think it will adversely affect the product. I think that a championship belt should be the prize for which all wrestlers (yes, they're wrestlers!) strive.

Apparently, the WWE 'braintrust' or (brain-less as it were) has forgotten that the champions are supposed to be the guys 'making more money' and having 'more prestige' in the business. Being a champion is the position that the masses strive for, if not, why would these guys bother?

Reducing the number of titles would simply lead to more meaningless matches and more wrestlers being lost in the shuffle with nothing to do and nothing to fight for.

Two, I think we're greatly getting ahead of ourselves in annointing Sin Cara after two weeks time. He still needs work adapting to the WWE style and needs to show that he can work a match with a WWE regular. Hit-and-run highspots do not show me enough at this point. And at some point, he will need to say something. I don't need a lot of mic work, but a word or two in English would be nice.

I see no reason why they have to rush anything with Sin Cara. They've invested heavily in him for the long term and they should use that same vision with regard to planning.

I'm sorry... What?

Sin Cara has wrestled a grand total of one televised match, and that was a helluva stinker against Primo. Botches happen all the time, but it's been a while since I've seen them look that obvious.

The dude may or may not have a bright WWE future, but talking about giving him some sort of title unification at this point is beyond premature. I still have no idea if the guy can even speak English at this point.

He seems to be incredibly athletically gifted, but it's going to take more, a lot more, than that to warrant the type of push you are talking about. Let's see him have a good feud, hell, a good match even, before we start talking about pushing this guy.

I can't see this happening and I really don't want to see it either. There are too many other competitors that deserve this honor, men that have paid dues in the WWE and that have proved themselves. Sin Cara has proved nothing in the WWE yet...unless being a Power Ranger look-a-like counts.

The bottom line is that Sin Cara has proved to be a talented performer in his body of work, but as his match Monday vs Primo proved, his style isn't going to go very far. He is going to have to adapt to the WWE style if he really wants to go anywhere.

In my opinion, there are not many people in the WWE that could have a meaningful match w/Cara. Many superstars wouldn't be able to keep up, and others wouldn't be able to pull off the things that are expected of them in a match with him.

Primo is in great shape and very athletic, yet he had trouble.

So unless WWE plans on raiding talent from AAA, Sin Cara will have to adapt. I really doubt that we are going to see Juvy or Super Crazy back to help him.

Not sure how Sin Cara's stype won't work in WWE. There are a number of people he could work good matches with that would be able to work with his style. Bryan, Sheamus, Morrison, Ziggler, Bourne, Rhodes, DiBiase, Punk, Christian, Del Rio come quickly to mind. All of those guys are athletic enough to be able to sell the lucha-type moves that Sin Cara uses. You say Primo had trouble. Other than the botch on the finishing move I don't remember anything where the match looked poor.

To the topic at hand, I don't really understand the desire to unify the belts. All I can see that meaning is getting rid of the US Belt as I can't see the IC belt getting a new name considering its history. Also, to those saying he needs a spot like Del Rio. Sorry, but he needs to be able to be better than average on the mic if he is going to be a credible ME-level guy and we don't even know if he can speak english well enough yet. I say you put him in the IC/US belt scene and let him battle it out with some of the guys mentioned above.

He needs to have a match with out botched spots before I would even consider him any where near the title picture. That move off the top rope was great to watch, well the second attempt was anyway, but he got to put a little more substance in his matches besides just flying around and doing huricanrannas all match. He's got potential, but I wouldn't put him on that pedestal just yet.

i think the guy has talent clearly and its encouraging that in his first match the fans were vocally behind him as it usually takes time for someone new to get a reaction other than the dreaded silence but the botched ending really worried me and was very obvious. apparently he doesn't speak english so they'll have to keep him like a man of mystery at the moment but its obvious they'll have to get a manager and mouthpiece for him similar to ranjit singh with khali (even though khali can sort of speak english!!). i think its to early for wwe to give up on him even though they're not happy with his botches but he can iron those out he'll be ok. i think his style might be a problem too but am sure he can have good matches with the likes of jomo, ziggler, rey, punk etc. plus its good to see someone a bit different and who can have a different type of match than the normal wwe one. i think after last nights raw though they might put him on smackdown in a taped environment for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back