Shut Up Sid: What Ruins Matches?

TUFFY54

Getting Noticed By Management
Pro wrestling is fake. Luckely, the wrestlers are usually talented enough that we forget this during a great match. Unfortunatly, their are wrestlers like Sid that make it impossible to enjoy a match. You might think I'm knocking his wrestling skills, I'm not. I'm talking about the way he calls spots to other wrestlers.

Wrestlers have to communicate in the ring, and they usually do it in a way we can't see. You know those times during a match when Hogan, Austin, or Triple H talks smack to the wrestler while he's down? What there doing is setting up the next move. This is also done when they get up in a refs face and yell at them. Ever notice how the ref always runs over to "check on" the down wrestler after this happens? That is how the spots in a wrestling match are worked out the right way. Then their is the Sid way.

I recently watched the War Games match from WrestleWar 91. Sting, Pillman, and the Steiners against the Horseman with Zybzko in for Arn. There are no less than 5 times in that match when Sid blatently just starts talking to his opponent. Nothing makes you feel dumber for being a wrestling fan than getting into a match and hearing Sid say "get ready to take the clothesline in the corner". I kid you not, he litterly says something to that effect when the camera is in his face, along with about four other things through out the match. He doesn't even pretend to hide it. Towards the end, he botches a powerbomb on Pillman and as clear as day just stands over him and goes "are you alright, I didn't mean to do that". I've never seen any other wrestler be so obvious in calling spots in the ring. In fairness to Sid, some of this might come from stupid camera men and producers. They put the camera in his face right when he was talking to Pillman. However, they had cameras in the other seven guys faces as well, and I never saw them calling anything during the match.

Do you think seeing wrestlers calling spots is the biggest thing that can ruin a match? If not, what takes you out of a match the most?

I can see how that can ruin it for the fan, but I never have noticed that happening. Maybe I'm just not observant enough. I think a horrible match and terrible fan reaction is worse though. Which reminds me of Goldberg vs. Lesnar at WMania. Coulda, shoulda, woulda been a great match, an all-time classic, but the horrible reaction killed it, I knew what they knew but was hoping to enjoy it anyway. It was not a good match by any means but even if they were putting on a clinic in the ring the boos would have still drowned it out.

I can see how that can ruin it for the fan, but I never have noticed that happening. Maybe I'm just not observant enough. I think a horrible match and terrible fan reaction is worse though. Which reminds me of Goldberg vs. Lesnar at WMania. Coulda, shoulda, woulda been a great match, an all-time classic, but the horrible reaction killed it, I knew what they knew but was hoping to enjoy it anyway. It was not a good match by any means but even if they were putting on a clinic in the ring the boos would have still drowned it out.

Me neither i never noticed that, but i usually don't pay attention to if they do call spots or just thrash talk. For me what ruins matches are botched moves. As for the Goldberg/Lesnar match at mania what ruined the match was that everybody knew they were both leaving WWE even before the match started so...

after watching that show, 'pro wrestling secrets revealed' or whatever it's called on a decade ago, I've noticed a lot more spot calling and fakes. sometimes I look for it during boring matches. it really does take away from the show. the pros and veterans hide it well but even so there are some guys that do it still (edge, jericho, and cena).
I do agree, calling spots is pretty annoying but for longer matches or high impact moves, I know its needed.

Me neither i never noticed that, but i usually don't pay attention to if they do call spots or just thrash talk. For me what ruins matches are botched moves. As for the Goldberg/Lesnar match at mania what ruined the match was that everybody knew they were both leaving WWE even before the match started so...

Yeah, it's true botched moves do kill a moment, but I usually forget about it soon and enjoy the rest of the match. Unless it occurs all throughout the match, in which case it's gonna ruin it. And the same thing goes for over/underselling. A good example being:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyN5sAShqOA

It was funny and entertaining, but HBK pretty much made a mockery out of the match.

For people like me who were excited and prepared to enjoy the Goldberg v. Lesnar regardless of whether they were leaving or not, the crowd definitely killed it. The crowd's participation in a match is bigger than we realize most of the time and whether they are booing or are dead silent that can take a lot out of the energy and excitement of a match.

i've noticed it happen quite a few times.. it's usually when the camera gets right in their face, when they're getting ready to pull off a move.. can't who, it was one of the big stars, The Rock, Triple H or something.. anyway, i remember him with someone on the top rope, i clearly heard him say, "ok, i'm gonna superplex you" or something like that.. it doesn't ruin matches for me at all, i actually think it's quite hilarious when i hear them calling the matches :)

Yeah, it's true botched moves do kill a moment, but I usually forget about it soon and enjoy the rest of the match. Unless it occurs all throughout the match, in which case it's gonna ruin it. And the same thing goes for over/underselling. A good example being:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyN5sAShqOA

It was funny and entertaining, but HBK pretty much made a mockery out of the match.

For people like me who were excited and prepared to enjoy the Goldberg v. Lesnar regardless of whether they were leaving or not, the crowd definitely killed it. The crowd's participation in a match is bigger than we realize most of the time and whether they are booing or are dead silent that can take a lot out of the energy and excitement of a match.

Lol HBK overselling was priceless, especially the drop kick at the end and when he got clotheslined out the ring. Cannot blame HBK, Hogan was acting like a dick as usual. Alot of wrestlers should of done that to Hogan.

and what, so you want them to telepathically communicate?
they have to communicate or someone will get hurt, and even the ref calls action to the stars and it's obvious.

WHO CARES!!!!!!! you know it's not real. look past it, like you look past referees obviously stuffing up or moves completely missing and or someone under/overselling moves, or commentators making moronic statements.

Have even heard commentators talking to people backstage.

Obvious communication was even more so in the 80's and 90's now you just hear and see it more because of sound and camera quality

If that's what you notice most when watching wrestling, maybe you should watch something else.

Wow people on here never seem to amaze me. All wrestling from nwa to wwe and tna has always been scripted. People we see more botch moves in this era because of the new tv technology, today we have way more camera angles then 1950's -1980's. Its not all the wrestlers fault all the times lets remember they are humans not super heroes or real gladiators we are not in ancient romans times. A lot of people on here make me laugh cause they react to wrestling being script like they just found out Santa, the easter bunny and the tooth ferry ain't real, So if daddy and mommy never told you I'm going to for your own good "All Wrestling is Script" ,but you already know that.

and what, so you want them to telepathically communicate?
they have to communicate or someone will get hurt, and even the ref calls action to the stars and it's obvious.

WHO CARES!!!!!!! you know it's not real. look past it, like you look past referees obviously stuffing up or moves completely missing and or someone under/overselling moves, or commentators making moronic statements.

Have even heard commentators talking to people backstage.

Obvious communication was even more so in the 80's and 90's now you just hear and see it more because of sound and camera quality

If that's what you notice most when watching wrestling, maybe you should watch something else.
I'm glad I found a real fan, like me, not a want to be critic. I agree with you 1000% "Brother" and want these want to be maniacs are going to do when we run wild on them with the truth. lol

To me, if a wrestler calls his spot during a match, it's a bit unprofessional. I liken it to an actor asking for his lines or place to stand during the middle of a play. Watching "Everybody Talks Too Much" on Botchmania really makes it stand out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC3orGXKa7E

A wrestler calling his spot during a match ain't something new its been going on since the early days of the nwa and wwwf (1948 ). We notice it more today because of all the new tv technology.Wait till they go 3D then you will even more botches.

True, calling spots have been around as long as prowrestling itself. But the OP is saying , DON'T BE SO GODDAM OBVIOUS ABOUT IT

It's one thing to call spots within the flow and context of a match, it's another to blatantly call spots out with an audience of millions on TV.

And its the "PG ERA" with more kids in the audience and watching at home than the attitude era. Don't you think it's breaking kayfabe if they ask "Daddy, why is the Miz telling John Cena what he's going to do?"

Wow people on here never seem to amaze me. All wrestling from nwa to wwe and tna has always been scripted. People we see more botch moves in this era because of the new tv technology, today we have way more camera angles then 1950's -1980's. Its not all the wrestlers fault all the times lets remember they are humans not super heroes or real gladiators we are not in ancient romans times. A lot of people on here make me laugh cause they react to wrestling being script like they just found out Santa, the easter bunny and the tooth ferry ain't real, So if daddy and mommy never told you I'm going to for your own good "All Wrestling is Script" ,but you already know that.

Did you happen to miss the first sentence of my thread? As far as new technology goes, I'm talking about a match from 20 years ago. I have no problem at all with wrestlers calling matches. I was pointing out that when Sid does it, it looks like he should be sitting there having a cup of coffee with the guy. He does nothing to try to hide it.

Imagine if you were watching Star Wars and right before Darth Vader tells Luke he's his father, he turns to the camera and says "hey everybody this is just a movie". It would completely take you out of the movie.

In all my years as a fan (more than 20), I've never actually noticed the spot calling thing when watching a match, it's only been when it's been pointed out to me and I go back and watch it later and actually look out for it that I actually notice. This was even the case with Sid at Wargames 1991.

So, for me, no, it doesn't ruin a match because I never notice it. I think it is something you need to be listening out for and I just don't. The things that ruin matches for me are firstly spots that can't be or aren't set up logically and require far too much obvious cooperation from the opponent and secondly silly finishes that just don't fit. The best example of this for me is where Kane interfered in the Undertaker vs Michaels HIAC match. I know it made sense in the storyline that was going on with 'Taker but it had nothing to do with Michaels and for me really affects my enjoyment of that match watching it back these days.

One thing that has started to grate on me since this Michael Cole heel turn, which was also an issue back when Coach and Cole were the SmackDown team back in early 2008, is a commentator going out of their way to put himself over at the expense of another man in the booth's commentating ability. Sure, it's not exactly "Old School," but Cole going on rants and showing everybody that Booker T doesn't quite grasp the mechanics of commentating just yet does nothing but draw attention away from the match. Heel commentary works. Putting yourself over as a heel while also adding to people's emotional investment in what's going on in the ring works. Commentators bending over backwards to get over while cutting others off at the knees for lacking instincts only draws attention to things people don't need to see. Commentary can make or break a match.

About 20 years ago, I had the pleasure of working with a small organization, South Atlantic Pro Wrestling out of Charlotte growing my wrestling photography portfolio. Some of their events would have less than 300 people, so you could often hear a lot more going on than usual. Working at ringside one night, I heard someone in the ring say something and didn't think much of it. Then he said something again and this was directed to his opponent. That's when I found out about calling matches. So it has nothing to do with technology or camera angles.

I don't mind calling matches during matches. Sometimes someone may forget something and someone needs to remind them. Sometimes the crowd is getting restless and the wrestlers need to try something else. Sometimes a participant may be hurt and you have to make adjustments. All of these things are fine. A few minutes here or there are not a problem. What I can not stand is when someone is standing there having what amounts to a conversation with their opponent during the match! Fall down in the corner, feign injury, call the referee over, give him the message and let him tell your opponent. And yes, if it happens once in a long match, I may drop it, but why do you have to do that in a three and a half minute tv match?

Anti-climatic finishes leave a sour taste in my mouth, regardless of how great the match had been. Too much stalling loses my interest. Any match in which the crowd's not into it affects the atmosphere enough to bring it down a notch or three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back