Should WWE's Wellness Police Be More Strict?

gamma2008

Occasional Pre-Show
Heath Slater now joins the ranks of WWE stars to violate the wellness policy and to have some sort of trouble involving the use of illegal substances. I'd hate to say it, but there's a chance that the shadow of the Beniot family tragedy may always linger a bit around this company, especially when the subject of drug use begins. The Wellness Policy isn't just a method of punishment, though. It's supposed to deter guys from even starting to use any illegal substances with the risk of an immediate thirty-day suspension looming over. Yet every month or so, it seems like we witness a new wellness policy violation. From a logical standpoint, this means that some individuals either do not care or do not feel concerned by a monthlong suspension.

So, do you think that extending the suspension, or adding to the punishment in some way, would increase the effectiveness of deterring drug use in the WWE? If you think so, how would you change it?

Heath Slater now joins the ranks of WWE stars to violate the wellness policy and to have some sort of trouble involving the use of illegal substances.

So you're saying it catches people who break it and therefore it should be stricter? I don't follow your logic.

I'd hate to say it, but there's a chance that the shadow of the Beniot family tragedy may always linger a bit around this company, especially when the subject of drug use begins.

Benoit made the policy become taken a hell of a lot more seriously by WWE and added concussion testing to the thing as well as taking headshots off TV. Without being unreasonable WWE can't be much more strict.

The Wellness Policy isn't just a method of punishment, though. It's supposed to deter guys from even starting to use any illegal substances with the risk of an immediate thirty-day suspension looming over. Yet every month or so, it seems like we witness a new wellness policy violation.

So it keeps most people on the straight and narrow and punishes the idiots who think they can get away with it. So you're saying it works as is?

From a logical standpoint, this means that some individuals either do not care or do not feel concerned by a monthlong suspension.

Or that people who are in the wrestling buisness aren't the sharpest tools in the box.

So, do you think that extending the suspension, or adding to the punishment in some way, would increase the effectiveness of deterring drug use in the WWE? If you think so, how would you change it?

It simply wouldn't be worth it. The first suspension is a warning and not getting paid for a month is a pretty good punishment in my opinion.

They are strict enough. The problem is actually enforcing it especially with their top stars which they obviously dont. If they enforced it John Cena would not be on TV right now.

The thing about a policy like this is that it has to be strict but, at the same time, fair. For instance, it's possible that mistakes could be made in the drug screening process. Some wrestlers could potentially have legit prescriptions for medication that they haven't had a chance to turn over yet. After all, WWE's schecule is hectic at best. There's also a possibility of false positives, which can happen sometimes even if it's not likely.

On the surface, I can't really criticize the strictness of the WWE's Wellness Policy. After all, at least they have something set up in place. That's more than can be said for TNA, ROH or any other wrestling promotion that I'm aware of. It's unfortunate that it took something as tragic as the Benoit situation, mountains of negative press and the United States Congress threatening to maybe start regulating WWE for the Wellness Policy to come about, but at least it's there now.

From what I understand, the wrestlers are tested at random and it's not at all uncommon for them to sort of think "nah, they're not gonna catch me" until it actually happens. Aside from a 30 day suspension without pay for the first violation, their career is basically put on hold when the suspension is up. LOTS of wrestlers that've failed a drug test have had pushes stopped and their careers come to a standstill until/unless they've been able to show management that they can be trusted. John Morrison, Mr. Kennedy, Jeff Hardy, Umaga, Carlito, etc. are all guys that've felt the negative consequences of the aftermath of failing a drug test. A second violation results in a 60 day suspension and mandatory rehab. If you refuse to go to rehab, the WWE washes their hands of you. Carlito & Umaga chose that path and Umaga's dead now. Maybe he wouldn't be if he'd gone to rehab. A third violation results in termination.

I suppose they could maybe add on some hefty fines for failing a drug test. Aside from that, however, the only thing they can do really is decrease the number of chances a wrestler gets.

They are strict enough. The problem is actually enforcing it especially with their top stars which they obviously dont. If they enforced it John Cena would not be on TV right now.

And you know this how exactly? I mean it's not like no main eventers have ever been wellnessed before (see: Rey Mysterio and Randy Orton. Twise). People can look like Cena does and piss as clean as a whistle. See also:

10netfr.jpg

WWE has no control over who gets tested and believe me, there's only two ways to beat the test. Have a legit prescription or be on something that they can't test for. Unless you're using hGH (which you can't piss test for), good luck avoiding it considering who WWE use for drugtests.

The thing about a policy like this is that it has to be strict but, at the same time, fair. For instance, it's possible that mistakes could be made in the drug screening process. Some wrestlers could potentially have legit prescriptions for medication that they haven't had a chance to turn over yet. After all, WWE's schecule is hectic at best.

They're given 72 hours. In this time they need to print out fill in a form and then send a fax of it and their script to the medical officer. This is not a hard thing to do. Hell if they live with someone, they can call and ask them to do it if they're on the road.

There's also a possibility of false positives, which can happen sometimes even if it's not likely.

That's why the tallents' urine is poured (by them) into two sample bottles. If they feel there was a false positive the second gets tested. If that's negative then they're off the hook.

i'd be curious as to what is in the "wellness policy" exactly to b honest. Does WWE adhere to the policies of WADA? or are they more straight forward? Drugs, HGH, Roids, etc.?

Just curious...Frankly as long as someone isn't pulling a Jeff Hardy & performing under the influence as too effect their ability to keep their fellow "sports entertainer" safe while they "work" does it really matter? Is it WWE's job to keep someone healthy, or is it the job of a person to keep himself healthy? Ones mans safe is another mans "unsafe".

Personally, I think the Wellness Policy is strict enough and I think WWE is utilizing it fairly efficiently and as fairly as could be expected. If it were my choice, though, I would have an approach that some may consider somewhat of a double standard.

For a first offense, 30 day suspension, no doubt about it, no questions asked. I would also extend this to include DWI (if it doesn't already). You get caught drinking and driving, 30 day suspension, no exceptions.

However if it was up to me, how I go forward beyond that would be the dicey part. If you are an established superstar with an upside, you serve your 30 day suspension and your back in business on day 31, with a possible de-push depending upon the circumstances. However, if you're a marginal talent, you get your 30 day suspension, but then on day 31 you get jobbed out and on day 32 you get future endeavored. If I were running the show, Darren Young, Heath Slater, whichever Uso it was, the dude who won NXT, guys like this would have one day left in their WWE careers. This day would involve a good shit kicking at the hands of one of the other superstars, and then it's future endeavors time for them, end of story.

I really don't know whether is strict enough or not, the thought just occurred to me, just to be clear.

I do disagree, though, that the drawing power of the star should affect their punishment. I think that if John Cena were to violate the policy, he should have the same punishment as Slater. If that's a 30 day suspension and a couple weeks getting jobbed out and re-earning your position on the roster, that's what it is. As a business, the WWE can't let itself be held hostage to its bigger stars, and I worry that is the result of treating situations differently.

I believe the words you were searching for are "more strict". I think the Wellness Policy should be balanced, and completely depend on what the person in question did wrong. If somebody is smoking pot recreationally to take the edge off, and just happens to get tested and fail, I don't see that as a big deal. If somebody is pumping steroids, that deserves the suspension and the 3-strike policy. But if you have a guy doing heroine or something, there's probably a good chance he should be fired and admitted to drug rehab.

It would be really nice if they released information on what the person in question was guilty of, rather than just saying he failed a wellness test.

Let me take you back a few years when Edge, Randy Orton, Batista, and 13 other people were busted in an online ring of pharmaceutical steroids. It doesn't matter who you are, you'll get caught eventually. The top stars are the top stars for a REASON.

John Cena? Really? The man is a machine, and spends his free time in the gym. One his main hobbies is weight lifting! I'm not the biggest fan in the world, but Cena is the one guy in the WWE that has been on top and stayed clean, healthy (for the most part) and stayed out of trouble. He doesn't need steroids because he's built like a tank and works out enough to stay there. People with Cena's kind of work ethic don't generally need the drugs...

This is easy! WWE is doing fine with their wellness policies. I do somewhat question how some guys (HHH, Cena and others) have passed with flying colors. However here is how the WWE Wellness policy should be IMO:

1st offense- 30 days unpaid suspension no matter what level tier you are. Counseling REQUIRED before returning. Instant demotion no matter what talent tier you are
2nd offense- 6 month unpaid suspension no mater what level tier you are. REHAB required before returning. Massive job streak and no main event spot light (top guys) for at least a year)
3rd offense- Suspended indefinitely and are forced to sit out the remainder of their WWE contract UNPAID.
That's right you heard it UNPAID. So guess what if you have 8 years left on your WWE contract and you get busted a 3rd time, BOOM you are toast in wrestling for 8 years. Because you can't get out of your WWE contract unless both sides agree or you breach your contract.

Why would I make this so strict? Because the talent needs to learn that they aren't above reproach. To ease the minds of everyone I would have the TOP guys like Cena, Orton, and others test in front of anyone who doubts that they are tested and have their piss results analyzed right then and there. Don't like my policy? Tough s*it I'm the boss and I don't want my wrestling company mixed up with garbage. And all this means is if people get busted, it opens the door for a new talent to come up.

It shouldn't be stricter. It already does the job as is. Look, I'm not a fan of drugs, they need to keep it away from the talent (for their own good, really), but they don't need to take it way too far, either. The policy has cracked down many a time on guys, top of the card to the bottom of the card, it's honest. Sure, it may not be 100%, but without taking it to the extreme, there's no better fit here.

Wrestlers take supplements and all kinds of other stuff, I'm sure they slip up sometimes. It shouldn't be that if they slip up once, they get fired or something. I'd be in favor of larger fines, but there should be a limit on the punishment. They're on the road, getting hurt, and probably struggling to regularly consult their very own doctor, who's to say they don't accidentally have something? Or that maybe it doesn't get cleared with the WWE?

The guys who abuse drugs need to be cracked down on, but it's fine the way it is. Ever since Chris Benoit, the policy has been fine. They're trying to take care of their talents, there's not much more you could ask for.

The problem is that these guys get injured, and if you did not know, but there pain pills they get prescribed for their injuries, or they don't want to admit to injuries and take these pills are addictive. They are mainly opiate based such as Vicodin, percoset, or what ever. So being any harsher on the program would also have to lead to an increased insurance policy for health insurance, which in this line of work would become very expensive, and probably cost the lower tier guys a majority of their salaries. So unless WWE wants to include health care packages as fitting to this, it would be more expensive. Also, the lower tier guys wrestle more matches on house shows, and have to keep up with the demand of the look, so this leads to more steroid use, because it is hard to workout the amount you need to to keep up that physique. So I believe the policy is acceptable as is.

i think they should be stricter wwe guys probably found loopholes and ways around getting caught...this is there careers..an opportunity to make millions so there goanna put there bodies on the line which leaves them in pain and they have to look strong and fit which isnt easy either so they look for a short cut. I say they stay on top of this... plus with the rate wwe was laying off wrestlers...some may be desperate imagine seeing a guy who you thought was gonna be a big name get fired for not "being good enough" in the ring...the wellness policy will encourage the men to take there healths into consideration as a job prerequisite...overtime wrestlers will smarten up and adjust there wrestling styles to not rely on drugs or shortcuts.

3rd offense- Suspended indefinitely and are forced to sit out the remainder of their WWE contract UNPAID.
That's right you heard it UNPAID. So guess what if you have 8 years left on your WWE contract and you get busted a 3rd time, BOOM you are toast in wrestling for 8 years. Because you can't get out of your WWE contract unless both sides agree or you breach your contract.

I don't think you can do that legally. I'm pretty sure that would be breach of contract, and even if such a clause was written into every contract, it would easily be contested in court.

Basically you cannot deny someone the right to make a living.

Of course I get what you're saying, but on a 3rd strike why wouldn't they just fire you and say that's that. Keeping a guy under contract for whatever length of time, preventing him from working and not paying him? That's not going to help anyone get better. That's just going to ruin lives.

I don't think you can do that legally. I'm pretty sure that would be breach of contract, and even if such a clause was written into every contract, it would easily be contested in court.

Basically you cannot deny someone the right to make a living.

Of course I get what you're saying, but on a 3rd strike why wouldn't they just fire you and say that's that. Keeping a guy under contract for whatever length of time, preventing him from working and not paying him? That's not going to help anyone get better. That's just going to ruin lives.

It's not denying them the right to make a living. If you violate baseballs wellness policy you get suspended. Manny was going to be suspended for a full 150 games. I'm not 100% sure but i THINK that is without pay too. I'll check into that. I may be wrong but I think if they violate policies it's without pay and they can't work anywhere else in baseball
I don't see how they would contest it in court especially if the guys were buying illegal pain killers and such that weren't medically prescribed.
"excuse me judge, I was held accountable for doing non-medical pain killers and other drugs". If that happened the judge would sentence them to rehab too. So then it would be a win-win. They get the help they need.

And I do believe keeping them on contract and preventing them from just running away from their problems to say TNA or somewhere would be better than just letting them run free. But that's just me. By the 3rd strike I'd sit them down with JR and let him give them a heart to heart because a lot of the guys do respect JR more than Vince and others. I see where you are coming from to though.

What illegal substance did Cena do? O, "TEH ROIDZ"? Why, coz he's huge? He has huge wrists, hips, and shoulders, which means he has huge bones, which means he can pack a huge amount of muscle on his body. he has a lean, masculine face, which would mean he has a naturally lean body composition. So really good genetics combined with an incredible work ethic, combined with the means to achieve the most (money for a personal trainer, diet, etc) mean Cena is most likely all natural. He shows virtually every sign of someone being genetically gifted with the means to maximize it and virtually no sign of steroids other than being big. Not only that but he no doubt gets a "pump" before he comes out. Since you have likely no idea what that is, because you know nothing of phyiscal fitness, that is when your body "swells" when lifting weights when there is a lot of blood going to the muscles. Mason Ryan gets a ridiculous pump, it's why all his muscles look like they're flexing at all times. It makes them look bigger. I'm 5'10" 200 pounds and have been accused of roid use. In high school I was 5'10" 140, I started eating a fuckload of protein and working out 5 days a week. That's how I got bigger. No roids. Cena in all likelihood is really about 6'1" 230. they exaggerate their sizes but 6'1" 230 with his build is smaller than not roiders I workout with. They aren't as lean as he is, but they also eat like shit and aren't genetically gifted. Stop being an uneducated jackass.

If WWE didn't come down on stars, then why is Jeff hardy gone? o yea, he's a net darling, so Vince hates him and holds a grudge against him.

As for the thread, no I don't think it needs to be stricter. Some people will violate it no matter what. It's a nice balance where it is now and has saved some lives and kicked out some bad eggs.

Just because we have a fair amount of stories regarding people breaking the wellness policy, making it more strict won't fix anything. If wrestlers can't stand by the rules that there currently is for the wellness policy, I doubt strengthening the punishment would make any major difference, especially considering how they get suspended, and get like.. 3 charges before they're fired?

Also, as Jack said, you'd have to consider the fact that there's only so much strictness you can add to a rule like the wellness policy, without making it unfair, which in the end will cause more bad than it will cause good. Because like I said, wrestlers will never stop using steroids or any sort of material that breaks the wellness policy, it's just something the wrestling world would have to live with, because it's proven that big and build helps ones success.

I do somewhat question how some guys (HHH, Cena and others) have passed with flying colors.

Maybe because they are actually clean???

Triple H is Vince's son in law. Why in the blue hell would he need to take performance enhancing drugs in order to keep his spot? He is already a multiple time champion, one of the biggest superstars in the history of the WWE, AND one of the heirs to Vince's throne. What does he possibly have to gain by cheating? What possible advantage would it serve?

As someone else pointed out, John Cena is a workout animal. He works his ass off to keep himself in shape. You can't assume that muscular body = steroids, because Heath Slater just got busted, and he isn't exactly competing for Mr. Universe anytime soon. You don't need to be heavy on muscles to do steroids, and you don't need to do steroids to be heavy on muscles. It's a false assumption.

The wellness policy does need to be sticter. The more harsh the punishment is, the less likely someone will be to break any rules. Violating the wellness policy should be viewed as a much more serious offense than it already is because it is meant to keep everyone safe but I do not think they take it seriously enough. Pushes should be lost, make an example out of the violaters by making them job. The wrestlers should fear it, so they will be more likely to follow the rules. It is there for their safety but they still decide to make stupid decisions that they are obviously not beig punished enough for.

I'm not opposed to the Wellness Policy being more strict, but I think it's doing an appropriate job as is. The policy is doing its job, and there haven't been any Jeff Hardy or Scott Hall incidents in WWE, so I don't see what the problem is with the policy as it is currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back