Should Someone Else Have Been Willow?

SixMovesOfDoom

Occasional Pre-Show
There are some good aspects to the character Willow. The video promos were genuinely creepy and the character itself has a good mind games element.

Granted, it probably would not have come into being if the creepy Wyatt Family gimmick had flopped in WWE, but still it has its own originality.

That said, it should have gone to someone else. Its not so much that Jeff Hardy is doing job; the problem is that it is Jeff Hardy at all.

They are labeling it as Hardy's 'alter ego', which is better than trying to pretend that it is not Hardy.

Still. Still! Calling it his alter ego and knowing its Hardy takes away from the mystique and mystery of the character.

They should have given it to a debuting wrestler, maybe an up-and-comer from OVW or something.

Hardy could have coached the individual regarding the character, offered advice on how to portray it.

Too little, too late of course. But maybe from this mistake they can learn and not make the same error next time a new gimmick arises.

No.

It's Hardy's creation. He was doing it back in the 90s when he and Matt ran Omega Wrestling. So it would make sense for him to bring it back.

It's relation to the Wyatt Family is grasping at straws because as I've said Hardy was doing it in the 90s waayyyyy before the Wyatt's came up.

Calling it Hardy's alter ego is fine. People know Bruce Banner is The Hulk and that works.

Knowing it's Hardy doesn't take away the mystique, it adds a different one. Instead of people wondering who Willow is, people want to know why Jeff Hardy is wearing a mask, using an umbrella and acting insane.

To give it to a debuting wrestler would be pointless. Hardy knows the character inside and out. To give it to another person and then Hardy tell them how to act would basically be someone being Jeff Hardy, being Willow.

You yourself said the characters promos are good and so is the character so I'm just wondering what you're getting at. Jeff Hardy is doing a good portrayal so I don't see what's up.

It would have been kinda cool if Willow was portrayed by someone else and showed up one night and attacked Jeff Hardy. It's not every day you get beat up by your alter ego. With that said, I'm trying to figure out why Jeff Hardy can cut ok promos as Willow but remains horrible on the mic as himself?

I'm trying to figure out why Jeff Hardy can cut ok promos as Willow but remains horrible on the mic as himself?

Best explanation I could think of is that, Willow is a character, and Hardy is a good character actor.

Jeff Hardy, both the wrestler and the person at the same thing, what you see in the ring is basically what you're seeing when you see him out of it, he's not playing a character he's playing himself. As himself, he really isn't that strong on the mic.

But when you take on the part of a character, a lot could change, it's like an actor taking on a role, you in a sense become that person for that span of time and you act different than what you normally would, you can do things you normally wouldn't be able to.

Willow is an extension of Hardy's imagination, and the guy, certainly has a strong imagination, so putting that into a character could lead to some rather strange things, like Willow.

As for Willow, nobody could play Willow but Hardy, Hardy is Willow and Willow is an extension of the person Hardy is, it's a character built through his mind and his imagination, it's something I don't think anybody could pull off as well as Hardy could.

I've always liked what Hardy has done with the character, it's a pretty fun character and very entertaining to watch. It really makes one wonder though, the reason behind Willow appearing, why Willow is around, what brought Willow out of Hardy, what made him become Willow. Everyone knows who Batman is, but Batman isn't anything without a backstory behind him, the backstory is what makes a character, and as long as that backstory isn't there, it's a mystery and one you have to think about and wonder about.

From what I have seen of Willow so far in TNA, he's fun to watch, a very cool idea and I feel something that TNA has needed for some time now and something that I believe Hardy has needed for years.

Wrong wrong wrong. The Willow gimmick is not inspired by the Wyatts. Jeff Hardy had that gimmick when he started his wrestling career. So yeah, it'd be pretty silly for the gimmick to go to someone else. Otherwise, I think Dean Ambrose would make a great Cactus Jack....

There are some good aspects to the character Willow. The video promos were genuinely creepy and the character itself has a good mind games element.

Granted, it probably would not have come into being if the creepy Wyatt Family gimmick had flopped in WWE, but still it has its own originality.

That said, it should have gone to someone else. Its not so much that Jeff Hardy is doing job; the problem is that it is Jeff Hardy at all.

They are labeling it as Hardy's 'alter ego', which is better than trying to pretend that it is not Hardy.

Still. Still! Calling it his alter ego and knowing its Hardy takes away from the mystique and mystery of the character.

They should have given it to a debuting wrestler, maybe an up-and-comer from OVW or something.

Hardy could have coached the individual regarding the character, offered advice on how to portray it.

Too little, too late of course. But maybe from this mistake they can learn and not make the same error next time a new gimmick arises.

Wow. Idiot WWE tools are really reaching when they start comparing a fat, out of shape, bearded southern hick to Willow. The fact that you have no clue that Willow was Hardy's first gimmick well before The E shows how little you really know. Then again, your avatar picture says it all, so whatever.

No. It was Jeff Hardy's original gimmick before his time in WWE. It only makes sense for it to be his gimmick in TNA.

Interesting that the gimmick had existed. Goes to show that 'unprecedented' gets used too much. I learn so much on this forum.

And for the holier-than-thou person who thinks its idiot WWE tool to argue that Willow is around because of the Wyatts, please think a moment...

Just because a gimmick predates another gimmick, doesn't mean it wasn't brought back BECAUSE of how well the newer gimmick as been received.

Did it ever occur to you that the Willow gimmick is being used because the creepy gimmick in WWE is doing so well? Or is that beyond your intelligence to fathom?

Interesting that the gimmick had existed. Goes to show that 'unprecedented' gets used too much. I learn so much on this forum.

And for the holier-than-thou person who thinks its idiot WWE tool to argue that Willow is around because of the Wyatts, please think a moment...

Just because a gimmick predates another gimmick, doesn't mean it wasn't brought back BECAUSE of how well the newer gimmick as been received.

Did it ever occur to you that the Willow gimmick is being used because the creepy gimmick in WWE is doing so well? Or is that beyond your intelligence to fathom?

Again, there is nothing creepy, nor interesting about that fat, bearded, backwoods hick. Why this fatso is getting such a run is beyond me. His cronies make Doc, and Knux look like main eventer's. You want creepy, go watch Deliverance.

There's really nothing creepy about Willow in so much, it's just more bizarre. Yet intriguing. The fact that Hardy seems more comfortable being Willow rather than just Jeff Hardy is even more interesting. Besides, TNA already has their creeper guy in Samuel Shaw.

Willow works perfectly for Hardy because "The Enigma" is not just a nickname... Hardy is a weirddd dude, and with the Willow character he can FINALLY act like his twisted, insane self. Somebody asked why Hardy seems more comfortable as Willow. It's because Jeff Hardy can probably connect to the character Willow more than he can to himself (as weird as that sounds). I always wondered why Hardy was repeatedly built as a face when he always had the potential to be a weird, psychotic heel and TNA's got it right by bringing Willow out.
Just a great character for Hardy.

I gotta Beat the dead horse but Willow came before the Wyatt's....the correct wording would be Bray Wyatt is "New Age" Waylon Mercy #YourWelcome

Now back on topic, Creative's work on Willow could of been better...I'm guessing that since its Jeff's Intellectual property he has finally say on the character. But Willow should of been a Creature or a Nightmare/Demon that plauged Jeff for weeks making appearances in places dark like when Jeff was doing those mental promo's Willow should of been in the background looking at him...Jeffs locker room should of been trashed and finally after weeks jeff would become Willow a demented heel with Abyss and maybe Sam Shaw ..but seeing as TNA at the time was working the Park/Abyss story line and TNA doesnt like When Jeff Was heel it may of not panned out.

Willow works perfectly for Hart because "The Enigma" is not just a nickname... Hardy is a weirddd dude, and with the Willow character he can FINALLY act like his twisted, insane self. Somebody asked why Hardy seems more comfortable as Willow. It's because Jeff Hardy can probably connect to the character Willow more than he can to himself (as weird as that sounds). I always wondered why Hardy was repeatedly built as a face when he always had the potential to be a weird, psychotic heel and TNA's got it right by bringing Willow out.
Just a great character for Hardy.

I think the connection is the right way to go, I believe once Jeff said "To create and become apart of my creation." or maybe it was surpass? I think this is an outlet that brings out that darker side of Jeff that only comes out in art, his art has always had dark tone, so obviously this is a creation of his own and it is dark much like many of his creations.

As for the potential, I think the potential was always there, but he was just so over as a face that there was never much of a chance to pull the trigger. Some could argue early on in the business, but I don't think he would have been ready by that point anyway, far too young and none-to-developed, now is kind of the perfect time to pull out the gimmick, he's experienced, he's over a lot of the demons that he once carried with him so much, he's in a good place, the timing is perfect.

That and I'm certain that creative were running out of ideas for him. From what I recall hearing, Jeff mentioned in an interview a ways back about bringing the character to TNA, believe it was around the time he was debating on staying with TNA or going to WWE. Makes one wonder how many times he brought up the idea to WWE and TNA creative and the idea was shot down.

I love the new character, I wish the commentary team didn't have such a hard on for mentioning "thats Jeff Hardy in paint guys!" but once that tones down, I think there is some real potential here. When I first heard about this alter-ego I was expecting this terribly cheesy, groan worthy transformation...boy, was I wrong! The promos leading up to his debut and the matches he has had as Willow thus far are so refreshing.

Willow looks, acts, and sounds like a legitimately twisted and evil dude. Especially with the credibility of a main event level talent behind it, Willow will be taken seriously in ways that other similar gimmicks never could. With luck, TNA will let the character grow naturally rather than pigeonholing him somehow. Willow could easily lead a stable of wrestlers and make for some damn good television. He is just out there enough that some over-the-top wackiness wouldn't be out of line but just menacing enough that he can be taken seriously.

This is honestly quite exciting and a good sign for TNA's chances of bouncing back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back