Should Rumble Entrants #1 and #30 be determined in advance or be random?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason305

Dark Match Winner
Hey everyone. Ok so the Royal Rumble is nearly upon us and I can't wait for it. It's my favourite PPV of the year as I find it the most unpredictable. But one thing that has been kind of bugging me is the No.1 and No.30 entry. In the past they used to make a big deal of it,wrestlers competing in matches and whole storylines surrounding those two entries. Nowadays it seems that it's purely luck of the draw. I havent seen them putting much focus on it as they used to.

One thing that I for one would love to see is a multi-branded tournament with matches taking place on Raw,Smackdown and ECW.And the final can take place a week or two before the Rumble on RAW to determine the No.30 entrant.

In a way I do like it if it's a surprise but I think if they made a bigger deal out of it it would help with the build up of the PPV.

And the No.1 spot is can also be a good way to get a heel some heat as he could cost a over face a match and put him in that spot.

So what are your thoughts? Does it bother you that they seem to just pick it randomly? And how would you like to see it play out?

I prefer it random, since that is the essence of the match. From day one, the real excitement surrounding the Rumble was who would be first - enhanced by Howard Finkle announcing "let us all now find out, WHO DREW the #1 spot in this year's ROYAL RUMBLE!" The the music hits, and someone is furious.

As for #30, it always plays out like a bad storyline. The GM / Owner's fave guy was given the #30 spot, often as a reward of loyalty. And yet Cena is the only man ever to win from that spot. So it's whatever to me.

Ask D-Man. Each year I run a game at the local bar where we watch the Rumble. It costs $2 to enter, and it's winner take all. The peeps at the bar who play get a sheet with 30 lines on it, #1 - #30, and the list of participants. They have to GUESS the order of entry. It gets so exciting, the entry order becomes more exciting than the match. Tie breaker is the winner of the Rumble. Last year the winner of the pool got $48. Not to shabby.

I like the Rumble order being random. It makes things more entertaining. I'm not sure it would be as enjoyable if we knew who came in when. I don't mind on occasion if we know if a guy holds the first spot or the 30th spot. Only for storyline purposes do I like that. I hated it when they had a match before the PPV to determine number 1 and number 30. I believe Duke "The Dumpster" won the 30 spot and Trips got spot 1 cause he lost. I vaguely remember that.

As for #30, it always plays out like a bad storyline. The GM / Owner's fave guy was given the #30 spot, often as a reward of loyalty. And yet Cena is the only man ever to win from that spot. So it's whatever to me.

I believe Taker won from the 30 spot back in 2007 as well.

Ask D-Man. Each year I run a game at the local bar where we watch the Rumble. It costs $2 to enter, and it's winner take all. The peeps at the bar who play get a sheet with 30 lines on it, #1 - #30, and the list of participants. They have to GUESS the order of entry. It gets so exciting, the entry order becomes more exciting than the match. Tie breaker is the winner of the Rumble. Last year the winner of the pool got $48. Not to shabby.

We do this as well, just not for money haha. Everyone who watches the Rumble when I order it fills out a sheet and we do it just for kicks and bragging rights. We do the whole PPV as well. Pretty much a prediction thing. Maybe I'll have to come to this bar sometime down the road. NJ is right down the road pretty much for me.

I would much rather have the Royal Rumble be random since it kind of helps that match have more drama, unless there is some sort of storyline going on with a GM making someone the number one entrant like Paul Heyman did to Benoit a couple years ago.

The random entrants keeps the audience on their feet and makes the match more exciting. Trying to figure out who is coming out when is always fun and random first entrants are always entertaining such as Eddie Guerrero against Randy Orton or Rikishi against Goldust.

Theo "Hitman" Mays;1732273 said:
I believe Taker won from the 30 spot back in 2007 as well.

We do this as well, just not for money haha. Everyone who watches the Rumble when I order it fills out a sheet and we do it just for kicks and bragging rights. We do the whole PPV as well. Pretty much a prediction thing. Maybe I'll have to come to this bar sometime down the road. NJ is right down the road pretty much for me.

I think you're right about Taker. I forgot that one.

And I used to do it without the cash, but it's more fun with some scratch on the line.

Anyway, I think you and I agree - the random order is the way to go, because when you take away the mystery, you take away what makes the Rumble great.

I love all 30 participants being random, like someone else said its adds to the drama effect of the Rumble.

My friends and I play a game during the rumble as well. We have done this since 2000.

However many of us there are, we all draw a number from 1 to whatever. If theres 6 of us we draw 1-6 then etc.

Then we are that corresponding person when they enter the rumble. When someone has their wrestler eliminated, they are the next person out in elimination order. If 3 gets eliminated then 2, 3 is the next guy out, then 2 etc. We do this all the way through the rumble to see who gets the winner if anyone. If all of our guys are in the ring at the time someone comes out who ends up being the winner, that wrestler was vacant because we all had our guys in still, not eliminated, Then there is no winner. Its kinda fun.

Over the years ive had some guys with great chances to win, like Drew Carey, Scotty 2 Hotty and The Honky Tonk Man, all in 2002 I think it was. Unreal.

This was fun to do when we were live at the rumble in NYC in 2008. The anticipation is awesome!

Im gonna go out on a limb here and make 2 predictions for #1 and #30 and a winner

My number 1 pick is going to be Mark Henry
My number 30 pick is going to be Randy Orton
My winner: Triple H (just have a feeling about him winning it this year)

I wud like to see Miz and MVP kickin off the things. They are in a feud so it cud set up the audience for a decent rumble match start. If i wud allowed to pen the match since wwe is not pushing swagger now i will let Santino eliminate him in the rumle match for some light comedy stuff. I wud allow dolph to eliminate Kane and C M punk eliminates Triple H since they are going to feud for tag team tittles. My last pick(no.30) wud be returning edge and costing Chris Jericho the match and eliminating himself to chase Jericho to the back. I wud let Micheals and Morrison two last royal rumble contenders(if micheals is planed to win the rumble and face taker at Mania). This wud be the coolest rumble in years in my view.

I wouldn't mind some sort of a match or a tournament whereby the loser gets the number 1 position in the Rumble, because that's not really ruining any suspense as obviously you find out right away anyway. But I wouldn't want to know the #30 person in advance, this would ruin the suspense. I like guessing, whether it be in some sort of a pool like IC said, or even just guessing on my own.

well i normally just read these forms and comment on a few but this one took my eye today and i thought about it while watching a rerun of csi ( who doesnt like them shows) well anyways i see alot fo you saying that the entrants are normally random and funnier that way .. well after thinking about it i came to the conclusion that it is fun being random not knowing whos coming out but have you guys noticed that the rumble is random to start but they normal have it so fued come ing after each other so they can continue story lines and have run over into wrestle mania ... so in all i think keeping the number 1 spot random end up being way more important then 30 seeing when it get narrowed down u can basically figuer out who the last one is going to be

but this is what i would like to see this year for the rumble number 1 and 30

have vince tell shawn if he wants the taker so bad hell have to enter the rumble as number 1 then have him make it to when number 30 comes down witch would be HHH and he would then cost shawn the rumble and the match with taker but would set up hhh vs hbk at mania or mybe even make them the last 2 and have them both win like hart and lex did but do a storyline where there both going to be in a triple threat match at mania and have HHH want to fight the wwe champion but shawn keep pulling for it be with taker so it will ad to the taker streak because he would have to fight hhh and hbk instead of just hbk ... just my thought

Im gonna go out on a limb here and make 2 predictions for #1 and #30 and a winner

My number 1 pick is going to be Mark Henry
My number 30 pick is going to be Randy Orton
My winner: Triple H (just have a feeling about him winning it this year)

Orton gonna ambush someone and claim one of the spots of his own? Just wondering your reason behind putting Orton and number 30. It would be interesting to see Orton lose to Sheamus and then find a way to get into the Rumble. Plus that could allow Ted to chuck him out and start up a possible feud if they want to go that route. I'll bite on the prediction side of things as well.

Number 1: Chris Jericho (No reason, usually the number one guy is decent and if Jericho was one he could have a legit shot at winning and he has the stamina to pull it off).
Number 30: Batista (Number 30 is usually a big name star and usually a guy who could do some damage. Look at the past seven guys to have number 30. Big Show, Cena, Taker, Orton, Flair, Goldberg, and Taker. So Batista makes sense).
Winner: No idea right now. I'll say Cena just to be different.

Having a random drawing is as real as the random roster draft, but... Picking between the two

Having a story line random drawing really gives the audience watching that anyone has a chance to win. If you have matches leading up to the rumble for those spots it definitely takes some excitement out of the the match.

If it was really random and they drew the contestant live during the actual rumble, now that would be totally unpredictable. No pre order, no fake "Random order" they would still have the pre-determined winner. But it would definitely cause the match to change on the fly.
Now that I think about it, we could have a huge fail or success on our hands. On one hand it would be random and exciting for the fans and the superstars. But it would totally put the match on the guys in the ring, even more than it already does. Basically all the pre planning spots, who's getting thrown out when and by who, how many superstars are in the ring. All is done on the fly

Yeah never-mind that idea... Have a planned random drawing.

I would like the #1 entry to go to Chris Jericho and around #5 have Edge as the surprise entrant. I don't know if edge is ready to come back, but it would start the story line with him and Jericho.

#30 I think should go to CM Punk, have around 10-8 guys left when #30 hits. Have him last until top 5. CM punk, HHH, The Miz, Dibiase and Batista.

I just have a feeling they are giving it to trips this year. But I want Ted to win and challenge Orton at WM.

I think it's better as random. Everyone who has been put in at number one as some part of a storyline typically does really well, or even wins. The people that have gotten number 30 before the actual match have been people like Duke "The Dumpster" Droese and Chyna, neither of whom ever had a realistic chance of winning. IC25's game sounds like really good fun actually, but no, I think it is better for the two numbers to be a suprise, particularly number 30.

Well i agree that random entrants are funnier & the fact that fans don't know who is next person to enter is one of the reasons that makes rumble exciting.

However,my choices will be

No.1 = Kofi Kingston

I think it can help Kofi to shine more,like what randy did in 2004.

No.30 = HBK.

I am pretty sure he won't be the winner , so just let him be No.30 and increase the possibility of HBK winning at the moment.

theres always the possiblity of edge being 30 but not to go off topic 28 people have already been named to the rumble match with 2 spots open. who to say the number 1 entrant isnt someone who WWE decided to bring back that use to be with the company or someone who was injured that is returning besides edge. So my though for 1 is much like everyone elses maybe Jericho maybe HBK maybe even Cena or HHH from 1 and 30 id def think would be Edge. and even if Edge isnt in the rumble match have his music play to play games with Jericho like Taker did to Kane in 2004. Sorry if it was a bit off Topic

I also agree that it is much more enjoyable when the selections are random and they don't have a big storyline going into the rumble about who #1 or #30 is.

I ues to enjoy it when on the pre-show they would show the wrestlers picking there numbers and watching there reaction.

My #1 and #2 pick (since they come out at the same time) Morrison and the Miz

My #30 pick is one of the two "Surprise entrants" Edge

I would rather not see the any numbers pre-decided before the rumble because as everyone says it creates more suspense but it would be good to see some wrestlers draw there numbers on rumble day like they used to just to see their reactions and would also provide some qaulity segments for the ppv. This year i have a feeling that Matt Hardy is going to be first out but as for #30 i dont know

I always prefer them to be a suprise makes the whole match entertaining and your always wondering who is going to be it which makes the match a lot funner. As of my guess who is going to be number one i'm going to say John Morrison. Not sure why but it could make him seem like a big threat and seem like a pretty big superstar, he could stay until the end 5 which would make him look like he can hang with the big boys. Number 30 i'm going to say will be someone like Batista as I don't think he has enough stamina to stay in for a while and I believe they may keep him in till the final five then this will give him a chance to stay without getting tired.

Me and my friends used to do this as well. With less money though, I used to win as my friends wasn't really that good as guessing but it was still always pretty fun. We should do something along those lines of the forums. See who can guess the most or something, it would be pretty fun.

Well, I want most of the numbers to be completely random, especially for whoever wins it. There should only be matches for numbers 1 and 30 if it's going to contribute to a feud or an angle leading up to Wrestlemania. I hate when a wrestler gets the number 1 spot as a kayfabe punishment and beats the odds to win, it kinda nullifies the point of the Royal Rumble. Same with when a wrestler is told he won't be in the royal rumble but gets a last chance match to get in and gets the number 30 spot than wins. I just can't stand that.

But, if the number 1 position is used to further a non-title match angle, then I'm all for it. Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho leading up to Wrestlemania 19, that was done really well. But stuff like Benoit winning from number 1 just to make his journey to the title more difficult seems pointless. Yeah, he took almost 20 years for most of which he was widely regarded as one of the best in the world to become world champion, but winning the royal rumble is what really shows he's worked hard. It's just silly to me.

Simply put, the winner of the Royal Rumble should have a random number. I think it adds credibility to the match, strengths the Royal Rumble concept and makes it more interesting.

I never like knowing who is entering where ahead of time, because it tends to kill the overall suspense of the match. What I hate even more than that is when it seems like someone is handed a spot, a-la John Cena's surprise return. Are we to believe he just 'happened' to draw number 30 for his big, ahead-of-schedule comeback?

Aside from that, I hope for a fresher face to win over all the people who are always in the main event, similar to how at least somewhat surprising it was when Benoit and Mysterio won it.

As far as number one goes, I'd like to point out that drawing number two hoses you just as much!

Yes I agree that the #30 pos. IS the bosses "pick" like last year' what was happening? If Randy didnt win the Rumble he was gone from Raw or WWE (you get what i mean) and pretty much that spoiled it. Because Randy was at that time was the best seat filler on RAW. And yeah, he won. So watch for a stipulation like that and you've got a winner for a royal rumble.

I say go with some storylines for a couple entries. Yes, not knowing whos coming is half the fun of the rumble. But we're only talking about possibly #1 and #30 beeing announced before hand, thats still 28 entrants where you wont know whos coming.

As for my picks:
#1 - Dolph Ziggler
#30 - Kane
Winner - HBK

Im expecting them to try and get as much push behind this HBK vs Taker match after the show they put on last year. And adding the rumble winner and a title match to it will make it all the more exciting.

I'm predicting Rey Mysterio or Batista (Its speculated it will be a triple threat match for the World Heavyweight Championsip) will be victorious and taker the belt from The Undertaker. If this does happen, I reckon it would be awsome if Undertaker was a suprise entrant

Entrant #1 : Triple H (Make him last ages so he feels good about himself)

Entrant #30: The Undertaker

Undertaker elimnates HBK to win the Royal Rumble

Although the Undertaker has declined HBK's match request, who says that The Undertaker cant team up with Kane and challenge DX at W'Mania 26 for the Unified Tag Team Championships. If he wins the RR that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back