Should Cell Phone Usage In Vehicles be Banned?

LSN80

King Of The Ring
The National Transportation Safety Board(NTSB) certainly thinks so.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/13/us/ntsb-cell-phone-ban/index.html

This is the most comprehensive ban yet proposed by the NTSB. In the past ten years, they've proposed, successfully in some states, for limits to be placed on drivers regarding cell phone usage. In Georgia, for example, drivers under 18 are prohibited and can be fined for any cell phone usage when driving, and texting is universally prohibited. Now, they want to take things one step further, banning the usage of cell phones altogether for drivers. This includes texting, hand-held phones, and hands-free devises. The only exception they're willing to concede is built in phones by the car manufacturer. Otherwise, they're urging all 50 states to implement an across-the-board ban on cell phone usage while driving.

This, from NTSB Board Member Robert Sumwalt:
"At any given daylight moment, some 13.5 million drivers are on hand-held phones. Some 3,092 roadway fatalities last year involved distracted drivers, although the actual number may be far higher. because distracted drivers sometimes do not own up to their actions, or because they die during the crash, determining whether distraction was a factor in an accident can be difficult. Distracted driving is becoming the new DUI. It's becoming epidemic."

While I do feel the comparison to Drunk Driving is over the top, I understand what he's saying. Just as people who get behind the wheel having drank and choose to drive, people who use cell phones while driving aren't being completely accountable to the task at hand: Safe driving. Talking on the phone, to a lesser extent, provides the danger that driving while impaired does. It risks one's safety, the safety of others, and possibly lives.

NTSB Chairwoman Deborah Hertsman said the following:
"Cell phone laws alone would not solve the problem, but must be accompanied by aggressive educational campaigns and strict enforcement. The ban may inconvenience motorists, but would save lives. Needless lives are lost on our highways, and for what? Convenience? Death isn't convenient. So we can stay more connected? A fatal accident severs that connection."

So much more is contained within the article, such as case examples of motorists killed or severely injured due to distracted driving. It's a good read, which I'd highly recommend. But in this case, here's your opportunity to play lawmaker:

If you could pass legislation regarding cell phone usage while driving, what would it be? Would you ban texting? Set age limits? Ban usage altogether? No restrictions at all?

Do you agree with the correlation between cell phone usage and drinking and driving?

What laws in your state exist surrounding cell phone usage while driving? Do you agree with them?

All other thoughts or discussion on this topic are welcome and encouraged.

It's already against the law out here in California to text/talk while driving, bluetooth's being the exception; and while I'm not a huge fan of the law it definitely serves its purpose.

Pretty much what SSC said. The ban is already in effect in my area and while I support it due to the number of deaths and accidents in my town due to cell phone usage while driving, I don't feel that the law is enforced nearly as much as it should be. Sure it may be against the law but it sure as hell isn't stopping most people from doing it anyway. I've had far too many close calls on the road because of it.

Completely despise the idea, and think it's is legislation being passed by people who don't understand technology. How many people use their phones as an mp3 player? How many people use it as an alarm, or to use the built in "Maps" function most phones have? How many people can double check directions, let a coworker know they're running late, etc.?

I'm okay with the idea of limiting it for people under 18, and don't consider it to be an ageist thing because those under 18 just simply don't have the experience driving. I think discretion should be used by drivers when using their devices, but I'm completely against a law which basically says people are too stupid and incompetent to use helpful technology.

So as far as I'm concerned, this is ridiculous legislation. The good which cell phones can do far outweigh the bad, and to tell everyone they cannot use helpful technology because of the incompetence of others is simply asinine.

If Cell phones are distracting to the point where they are dangerous, then let's ban other things that could possibly distract us.

This is a terrible idea. You simply cannot legislate out stupidity. Some people find ways to get distracted on the road without a cell phone, without the radio on. Driving with passengers can be distracting. You get involved in a conversation, it prevents you from focusing entirely on the road. Ban passengers. You listen to the radio, you sing along, again, you are distracted. We need to ban radios too. Mothers get distracted by infants/toddlers screaming in the back seat, we should ban children in general from riding in cars. We should also make a law that says girls aren't allowed to wear anything that shows any skin at all anymore. A young man might be too distracted trying to look at their boobs from the next lane over rather than focusing on driving.

Now ask yourself...do you REALLY want to ban cleavage? Communist.

I'm for pretty much all restrictions on using a phone while driving. No one is so damned important that they must use the phone while driving, thus taking their focus from driving, and protecting their safety, the safety of others in the vehicle, or the safety of other drivers and/or pedestrians. If you absolutely "need" to use the phone, pull over!

(I honestly don't know the cell phone laws in my area, I don't even own a cell phone)

I'm for pretty much all restrictions on using a phone while driving. No one is so damned important that they must use the phone while driving, thus taking their focus from driving, and protecting their safety, the safety of others in the vehicle, or the safety of other drivers and/or pedestrians. If you absolutely "need" to use the phone, pull over!

(I honestly don't know the cell phone laws in my area, I don't even own a cell phone)

I don't see what being important has to do with anything. Long gone are the days where use of a cell phone signified any kind of social importance. If you want to ban cell phones in cars then you may as well take radios out of cars too. Make it illegal to eat or drink in a car. Using a cell phone is no more distracting than these things. I fail to see how having a converstaion on my cell phone is any different than having a conversation with a person in my passenger seat. If someone can't handle driving their car while having a conversation maybe that person shouldn't be allowed to drive in the first place.

I remember taking driver's ed in school years ago. The first time I got behind the wheel I was naturally nervous and the first thing the driver did was crank up the radio. I couldn't believe it. I asked why he did that and he said because he knows when I get my license that is how I'm going to drive. I say give phones to kids learning to drive now. Let them talk on the phone while learning to drive. If you put the two together from the start it will just be natural for them going forward. As a matter of fact I think most people under 30 don't have a problem with it at all because they're so used to it. It's only the ones who were driving long before cell phones became the norm that seem to struggle to adapt. I've had a cell phone for almost as long as I've had a driver's license. Never once have I even come close to an accident because of it. Don't take my privilege away because of someone else's incompetence.

I should point out I'm only speaking about talking. I fully agree texting should not be allowed as that obviously takes your eyes from the road, but a conversation does not.

People must be able to concentrate behind the wheel. Texting or calling while driving can be a distraction so I can see why these laws are already in place in some states and on their way in others. Banning phone use completely can set up problems though. What if someone is being followed by someone and they need to report suspicions without stopping the car for safety reasons? Laws that are meant to "protect" people often do not take every possible scenario into consideration.

It is a bad idea because there are people out there who will follow it to the point where they won't even use a phone to report someone dangerous simply if it's against the rules. I understand the point of the laws though, people must be able to focus when driving and not everyone can safely text without losing focus if also driving. I sure can't and I know many others who can't multitask if driving either.

I don't see what being important has to do with anything. Long gone are the days where use of a cell phone signified any kind of social importance. If you want to ban cell phones in cars then you may as well take radios out of cars too. Make it illegal to eat or drink in a car. Using a cell phone is no more distracting than these things. I fail to see how having a converstaion on my cell phone is any different than having a conversation with a person in my passenger seat. If someone can't handle driving their car while having a conversation maybe that person shouldn't be allowed to drive in the first place.

I remember taking driver's ed in school years ago. The first time I got behind the wheel I was naturally nervous and the first thing the driver did was crank up the radio. I couldn't believe it. I asked why he did that and he said because he knows when I get my license that is how I'm going to drive. I say give phones to kids learning to drive now. Let them talk on the phone while learning to drive. If you put the two together from the start it will just be natural for them going forward. As a matter of fact I think most people under 30 don't have a problem with it at all because they're so used to it. It's only the ones who were driving long before cell phones became the norm that seem to struggle to adapt. I've had a cell phone for almost as long as I've had a driver's license. Never once have I even come close to an accident because of it. Don't take my privilege away because of someone else's incompetence.

I should point out I'm only speaking about talking. I fully agree texting should not be allowed as that obviously takes your eyes from the road, but a conversation does not.

almost 30% of the annual car accidents are linked with driving/texting. That enough reason not to be legal.

people think they don't have time to stop and do anything, they have to do everything while talking on the phone. wasn't implying having a phone as a sign of status. You're right, shouldn't be eating while driving either.

Ban anything that can not be enabled through the steering wheel or by voice. As long as I can remember having anything to your ear that made noise was illegal while driving.

If someone needs directions or to communicate with a hand held phone they can pull over some place safely, stop the car and do what they have to do.

Nearly everytime I get pissed off because someone is doing something stupid on the road like moving too slow, not following the light or almost hitting bicyclists and pedestrians it turns out to be someone with a cell phone on their ear or their head down probably texting someone (possibly masterbating).

If crying babies or eating or talking to passengers in the car commentators can show me statistics that say those things are significantly increasing auto accident and fatality rates I will consider that those things should be banned too.

Like smoking indoors, the effect on others when cell phones are used in cars has been studied and found to be dangerous. Talking, dialing and texting on a hand held device is dangerous enough to me, my family and friends that it should be banned. I just wish it was better enforced and respected.

The cell phone usage/drinking comparison has little merit towards an effective argument. I like my smoking indoors comparison better but ultimately it is the statistics and my personal life experiences that convinced me what side to pick on this issue.

Some people find ways to get distracted on the road without a cell phone, without the radio on. Driving with passengers can be distracting. You get involved in a conversation, it prevents you from focusing entirely on the road. Ban passengers.

Well, that's a thought, huh? Actually, though, you don't have to ban passengers; you just have to legislate that people in a car don't talk..... at least to the driver.

Does that sound ridiculous? Well, remember that people can't be legislated out of creating ways of putting obstacles in their own paths. I don't drive, so I get to look at what others are doing while I'm a passenger. I once had to stop the driver of the car I was in from opening a newspaper and spreading it over the steering wheel to check a movie schedule while traveling 65 mph. There's no limit to the ways people can find to concentrate on things other than the road in front of them. I suppose cell phones are just the latest thing they've come up with.

Of course, I might feel differently about the proposed legislation if I lose someone in a car accident because the driver of the other car was busy sending a text, leading to the crash. But I still oppose the legislation as long as all the other stupid things drivers do remain unregulated.

almost 30% of the annual car accidents are linked with driving/texting. That enough reason not to be legal.

people think they don't have time to stop and do anything, they have to do everything while talking on the phone. wasn't implying having a phone as a sign of status. You're right, shouldn't be eating while driving either.

I'm with you on the texting. Nobody should text while driving. Talking is a different story. Tell me how talking on my phone is different than talking with someone in my passenger seat. Don't tell me that the phone is taking one of my hands off the wheel. I never drive with both hands on the wheel and I doubt many others do. I hold my phone in my right hand which is never on the wheel anyway and I can keep my eyes on the road throughout the conversation so I don't see the harm.

I'm with you on the texting. Nobody should text while driving. Talking is a different story. Tell me how talking on my phone is different than talking with someone in my passenger seat. Don't tell me that the phone is taking one of my hands off the wheel. I never drive with both hands on the wheel and I doubt many others do. I hold my phone in my right hand which is never on the wheel anyway and I can keep my eyes on the road throughout the conversation so I don't see the harm.

The passenger is most likely not directly in your ear.

When you watch a DVD and talk on the phone can you pay as much attention to the movie as when you are not on the phone? You probably pause the movie since it is too hard to listen and follow the movie with a phone in your ear. I don't understand why people don't realize their senses are similarly disabled with a phone on their ear.

The data is in and the statistics are clear. I'm sorry to the people who have super senses but talking on a hand held phone or texting while driving is too dangerous to justfiy the value they provide the driver.

The passenger is most likely not directly in your ear.

When you watch a DVD and talk on the phone can you pay as much attention to the movie as when you are not on the phone? You probably pause the movie since it is too hard to listen and follow the movie with a phone in your ear. I don't understand why people don't realize their senses are similarly disabled with a phone on their ear.

The data is in and the statistics are clear. I'm sorry to the people who have super senses but talking on a hand held phone or texting while driving is too dangerous to justfiy the value they provide the driver.

I usually don't need my ears to drive. When I do, the sound of a horn or siren is loud enough and distinguished enough to get my attention whether I'm on the phone or not. Sorry but the dvd comparison doesn't work. If you were my passenger I could easily have a conversation with you while driving but I couldn't listen to you and another person talk to me at the same time and pick up everything both of you said.

I'm not doubting that some people are distracted by their phones. I also believe many are not and as we continue to evolve with technology people will easily adapt to driving a car while talking on the phone. Driving is one of the most routine things we do. Granted any given thing can happen at any given time but I don't think talking to someone on the phone as opposed to talking to someone less than two feet away from me will make me more likely to have an accident. Sorry but I still don't see the difference of talking on the phone and talking to a passenger.

Typo in my last post, was suppose to be talking/texting. there are more accidents caused by talking on the phone than texting.

1.4 million accidents are caused annually because of people talking on the phone.

200k accidents are caused annually because of people texting while driving.

I'd imagine there are so many more because of talking on the phone because more people do, but the numbers prove that talking and/or texting while driving puts you, and other(more responsible) drivier's in harms way for no reason whatsoever.

Completely despise the idea, and think it's is legislation being passed by people who don't understand technology. How many people use their phones as an mp3 player? How many people use it as an alarm, or to use the built in "Maps" function most phones have? How many people can double check directions, let a coworker know they're running late, etc.?

I'm okay with the idea of limiting it for people under 18, and don't consider it to be an ageist thing because those under 18 just simply don't have the experience driving. I think discretion should be used by drivers when using their devices, but I'm completely against a law which basically says people are too stupid and incompetent to use helpful technology.

So as far as I'm concerned, this is ridiculous legislation. The good which cell phones can do far outweigh the bad, and to tell everyone they cannot use helpful technology because of the incompetence of others is simply asinine.

I've got to agree with The Fox on this one. Cell phones perform so many more functions now than simply calling and texting that it's not really fair to say you can't use it PERIOD. The maps and MP3 player examples being the best ones I think. I do believe that there has to be some kind of traffic laws regarding cell phone usage, but not some kind of nationwide ban on them altogether. Talk about going to an extreme.

Here are a couple stories though that explain exactly why there are these people out there trying to make this stuff happen.

Just last week I was with a friend who was driving and texting. I don't like to be a "passenger seat driver" so I wasn't going to tell him what to do in his own car. However in no time flat, we were at a stop light, it turned green and my friend looked up briefly to see the light change and start accelerating. The car in front of us wasn't accelerating very fast though and started braking to take a turn that was coming up very closely while my friend was knuckle deep in his smartphone texting someone not paying any attention to the car or the road ahead of him and STILL accelerating. I had to yell at him to stop just in time as he almost rammed his truck up the ass of this little car in front of us. I doubt we would have been hurt much if at all, but the guy in front of us would have been screwed and nonetheless we'd have been in a car wreck, rear ending someone to make it worse. This is the exact reason people want Nazi legislation like that against cell phone use.

A couple years ago my brother and I had went to pick up a friend from work late at night. On the way back not far from my friends work we are at a stop light. My brother starts texting with one hand, driving with the other, not watching anything. There's a brand new BMW just on our tail in the next lane over. My brother briefly looks up ahead of us and decides he's going to change lanes, he isn't looking and damn near side-swiped this brand new BMW that was now almost right next to us. I had to grab the wheel and steer the car back into our lane before he did, but we came literally within an inch or two of decimating this beemer. Luckily I was watching the traffic around us and knew where this car was.

There are already traffic laws here restricting people from talking on their cell phones while driving and texting while driving but nothing beyond that, and I don't think there should be anything beyond that. You can't stop stupidity as others have said. I don't think you need more laws or a national ban by any means. I would strike this one down in a heartbeat and do what I could to get officers on the street to enforce the standing rules more strictly. If more people know more people who are getting moving traffic violations for cell phone usage while driving I have my suspicions people will stop doing it so frequently when it's going against their driving record and hitting them in the pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back