Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker, Overrated or Underrated?

Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker (WM 25), Overrated, or Underrated?

• Overrated

• Underrated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Checkmate

.you.lose.
All credit goes to The Lariat, who basically inspired the Overrated/Underrated idea. However, while his threads focused on individuals, I'm looking at a match. Same idea, different take.

Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker
Wrestlemania 25
April 5, 2009 - Houston, Texas

The Undertaker def. Shawn Michaels via pinfall - Match Time: 30:41

The match itself took place just last year, at Wrestlemania 25, which is pretty fresh in everyone's mind. The premise was Mr. Wrestlemania vs the Undefeated Streak of the Undertaker. While the Streak now remains intact, it is common belief that this match stole the show. Later in 2009, this match received Match of the Year honors from the WWE, PWI, and the Wrestling Observer Newsletter (Meltzer).

I have read and heard several fans take this a bit further. Some refer to it as the greatest Wrestlemania match of all time. Others call it one of, if not the, greatest wrestling match(es) ever. It is a factor that keeps many from declaring Wrestlemania 25 a total failure, and has enough of a following to warrant an apparent sequel at Wrestlemania 26.

At the same time, many do not hold this match in such high regard. Some call it predictable, routine, or just boring. Some just don't get the amount of hype it received, and probably couldn't get into it as a result. Still more people may just be turned off by the constant praise the match is and has received.

So, I'll leave it up to you? Is this match overrated or underrated? Was it simply a gem in the rough that was Wrestlemania 25? Or was this truly one of the greatest matches of all time?

Please also state why you feel this way, you know, non-spam thread and all...

I say it was underrated going into wm, because there wasn't TOO big of a deal. They didn't seem to make it look like it would be a 30 minute match that amazed some people. I think it was the best match of wm25, and deserves a rematch, which we can only hope will be as successful. I would almost go as far as to say it was one of the greatest matches ever, but I'm not sure. I know it was definetely one of the best matches of this pg era Imo.

UNDERRATED. In my opinion this match was the greatest match I've seen in the last ten years. I've been a fan for 20 years and I'm actually a pro wrestler, and this match was pure gold. The biggest reason is that the Michaels vs Undertaker rivalry was so untouched and just waiting to be revived. They have only met 3 times one on one in the 90's, with Michaels always crawling away somehow victorious. The had the first Hell in a Cell and Undertaker was the one HBK was facing when he broke his back in 98 in a casket match. Then the encounter at Royal Rumble 07, the build-up and an amazing 5 star classic at Mania. This match meant so much...

Anything can be debated endlessly and needlessly. If enough internet goofballs rallied together, they'd debate and analyze until they reached the conclusion that The Godfather is all hype and no pay off and that the film Batman Forever deserves more credit.

Michaels/Taker was F*CKING AMAZING. It held the audience's attention, had them gasping at the right moments, and had people on the edge of their seats. They were chanting "this is awesome" and "Michaels, Taker". It was epic and it was drama. That's what it's all about. Period.

Or... you could analyze and destroy like this:
"It was just a bunch of finishers and then they'd just, like, lay there. The ddt attempt was botched. Taker was moving slower than he used to and almost broke his neck. A great wrestler would have improvised. These guys are has-beens and the fans are making this match out to be something it wasn't. Now, Triple H/Orton on the other hand... that deserves a second look because it was much better than people give it credit for."

Whatever. IWC sucks. Guilty as charged.

I don't think it can possibly be underrated.. Its being called by many many people the greatest match in wrestlemania history...how much more could it be praised?? I do think its funny that a small amount of internet smarks try to pan the match. While meanwhile it's been praised universally by their peers..the fans.. PWI..wrestling observer.. as one of the greatest ever. Basically its a bunch of people with a laptop and an opinion vs the experts on the subject. And most likely it no matter what HBK and Taker did they wouldn't have liked it.

I think the match is right were it should be right now not overrated and not underrated. Arguably the greatest WM match of alltime.. the MOTY 2009..

Im worried about this year however..another year older.. and with last years match so highly praised and Shawn being "Mr Wrestlemania" the expectations just may too high this year.. I hope Im wrong

Speaking as someone who saw it live last year at my first WrestleMania ever live in attendance, I'll say it cant possibly be overrated. The main event couldnt follow it no matter how much Triple H & Orton tried. The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels did so well they shouldve closed the show

Anyway, seeing it live was amazing and it was one of the only times I was ever concerned about the streak ending, the atmosphere in Reliant Stadium was simply electrifying and they kept us on the edge of our seats. That match was one of the best if not the best match I've ever witnessed at a live event

Coming in 2nd to that would be The Undertaker vs Kurt Angle in my hometown at No Way Out 2006 as far as best events I've seen live and that match was great but imo Taker/Shawn was better.

There was nothing more incredible on the card

I will say this though, The Rock vs Stone Cold will always be the biggest match in WrestleMania history or wrestling history to me

it was done 3 times for a reason and even WWE named it the Match of the Decade with HBK/Taker coming in at Number 2, I think that's very fair

specifically they named Austin/Rock WM17 match of the decade but all three WM bouts they had were great

I think that's the bigger Mania match

ok, if the stakes werent what they were for the rematch I woulda said overrated, but I gotta go with underrated, this match deserves a title on the line besides the stakes already offered. Undertaker in wrestlemania still gives me chills despite his performance the other 364 of the year. I'm not saying the rest of the year he's awful but there's always something missing. As for HBK, I hate to borrow a JR-ism and I know I'll mistype it but no one out performs Shawn Michaels in a big match situation. Put these 2 together again and with the story about both men taking a break following WM it has all the components for me to enjoy it as another potentially classic WM match IMO.

I think it's rated properly. Michaels/Undertaker I was for me without a shadow of a doubt one of the greatest WM matches of all time. It was the match that single-handedly saved WrestleMania 25. Without it, 25 would have been probably held in the same breath as WM11 and 12.

I don't think it can be underrated. It's Michaels and Undertaker: You expect 100% amazing out of them when both of them are in a ring.

I also think it can't be overrated because it needs a lot of extra elements (for example, numerous botches that take away from the match) in order for it to gain that reputation. While the match did have its fair share of botches, they didn't take away from what was otherwise a wonderful, and more importantly entertaining, match. Yeah it was predictable, as many people expected the streak to continue, but it's like a children's adventure. We know that there's gonna be a happy ending, but it's how we get to the happy ending that gets us to continue following it. The match certainly had that.

So it's definitely rated properly. A great entertaining match worthy of being on the WrestleMania card. Can't wait for Michaels/Undertaker II.

It's in my top 3 WM matches. It's either 2nd or 3rd, depending on the mood I'm in. I don't think it could ever be overrated, the match completely lived up to my expectations, I was very into it, and love re-watching it. With every match that people declare to be great, others will say "Meh, it's overrated" which is just life. There will never be a match everyone agrees is fantastic. But a majority of fans did enjoy the last one, and are therefore very excited about this years, so I think it's rated correctly.

It can't be overrated. There should be an option for "rated correctly". This match is everything you should want in a wrestling match. People can talk until they are blue in the face about how it was just a bunch of finishers and stalling. This match proves a move set isn't nearly as important if you are given a good amount of time to perform. The entire match was drama, to the T. Expect the same this year. It is close to the top of the list as far as best matches I've ever seen. 20 years of wrestling I've watched, plus the stuff before my time, and I've never been into a match like I was for that one. The match is rated exactly how it should be. I pick underrated just b/c the only other option is overrated, which it can't be.

I don't understand the hate toward this match. It's another prime example of the IWC having to hate things just to do it. There is no reason to dislike this match. It was an old school match that showcased just why Taker and Shawn should be considered the two best superstars WWE has ever had. Forget Austin, Rock, or Hogan. Taker and Shawn have been doing it for over 20 years now, with one company, and are still good enough to be considered top level talent. While they have slowed down alot, take alot of time off, they can deliver when it is needed. WM last year is a testament to this. I love this match.

I'll have to watch it again to make sure - as I often like matches more on the second or third viewing, or in HD, or while drunk, or while wearing no underwear - but as of right now I'd say overrated. People talk about this match as if it made them come. Truth be told, it was the best match on a really shit card. Next to one of the worst main events in WrestleMania history, it's bound to come off good.

Obviously, that's not the reason people like it so much. Why people like it so much is beyond me. The match is just Michaels and Undertaker going through a list of their signature moves while resting in between. It's entertaining to watch, sure, but I fail to see why it makes it an all-time great - at least in this day and age.

I think it is overrated because although it was a good match it happened during a time when the rest of the matches where not entertaining. I think if you put on a good match during this current era it will most likely stand out as apposed to if you put on a decent match say 10 years ago it would be going along with the high quality trend of the attitude era.

there is no way this match is overrated.
a. last year the match was out if this world good.

b. the build up for this has been great going all the back to the slammy awards and ever since having HBK get crazier and crazier

c. these are two of the greatest wrestlers ever. look at any greatest matches list and you will see HBK's name all over. and UT was basically named one the greatest superstars in wwe history a few years ago at the 15th anniversary raw special, after vince said that i vince mcmahon was the greatest superstar of al time then having very specific guys come out to do there finisher on them (mic foley, UT, stone cold)

d. this is the most unpredictable match in a while. i could never expect wwe to break the streak (something i think the undertaker should go out with, and being the sole possessor of such a streak) and i could never expect HBK to lose because on one hand there hasnt been any rumors of his wrestling retirement, though we all know the wwe could easily write him back in.....but how could the wwe have HBK lose and solidify his place in wrestling history as always just number 2 to the undertaker? it doesnt seem right and to be honest i would be very very upset to see that happen

It isn't underrated nor is it overrated, the reason why this match was so special is because the crowd made it special. While i wouldnt rate it higher than AJ vs Joe vs Daniels and Wolfe vs Angle at Turning point 2009, but Meltzer is a WWE mark so he is bound to give it MOTY.

It took the WWE nearly a decade for them to make their dead crappy crowds emotionally invested into their product. And the Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels match just did that.

I have only marked out 3 times while watching wrestling. When Stone cold beat Kane for the WWF title in 1998, Aj vs Joe vs Daniels 2005 and when HBK kicked out of the tombstone at WM 25, so yeah this match definitly is one of the best of all time.

No trying to bash these overrated or underrated threads, but their matches is what you always wanted. From the first Hell in the Cell match, to last year Wrestlemania. These guys go hard (no homo) against each other every match.

Overrated is saying that they did not use enough "Cow's Blood" in the match. Underrated is saying they did not have enough good spots.

Michaels vs Taker matches are like baby bears porridge, just right.

Definetly underrated, sure, it had it's share of botches. But it definitely stole the show, but it's too bad, that that was the only match at 25th that was good. I am totally against the idea of a sequel, with the mindset being that wm 25 should be known for that match. I mean the 2 currently best wrestlers in wwe going at it at the 25th anniversary of the grandest stage of them all, should be a one time moment. I consider it to be one of the best matches of all time, and IMO anyone that says it sucked is ignorant.

The poll needed a 3rd option, "neither". This match is neither overrated nor underrated because it was just as good as people say it was. You had Undertaker's undefeated streak of 16-0 going up against "Mr. Wrestlemania" himself Shawn Michaels. Two legends in one of the greatest matches of all time. It's not underrated because it had enough of a positive reaction over the past YEAR for them to do a sequel this year at Wrestlemania 26. It's also not overrated because it stole the show and several people are STILL talking positively about it 11 months later. Therefore it is neither overrated nor underrated and I cannot vote in the poll due to the lack of a "neither" option.

I find it odd that people in this thread begin posts with "There's no way this match is overrated..." and then end it with "...because by the end of the match I was barely conscious, sitting in an increasingly thick pool of my own semen." I mean, I'm using hyperbole but I hope you see my point. Hope's a strong word actually. I briefly considered if people would get my point before getting caught up in the fun of a sex joke. Yeah, that's the one.

People seem to be hung up on the concept more than the actual execution. Mr. WrestleMania vs. The Streak and all that. Yes, it really was a rather good concept - hence why the formulaic, paint-by-numbers match we got was disappointing.

I think people like Shawn Michaels' entire career because it's a "nice concept."

"He was part of an innovative tag team, and then he had an epic ladder match, and then he won the title at a huge event in the most epic fashion possible and the match was epic, then he was controversial for a while and his drug problem got the best of him, the he hurt himself, then he found God and quit drugs, then he made a heroic return to the ring, and now he's the most epic wrestler ever."

It's just so neat and he didn't hang himself like some might have imagined he would and he's had some good matches. Also, those EPIC moments. They sure were something, right? Like when the boyhood dream came true, I came with it.

See what you're making me do, Sam? Just awful. Also, that was a long road to travel for that weak joke. If it can be called a joke. It was pretty sad.

Michaels matches, more often than not, are preordained as "great." It fits in with the story. For Michaels to falter and have an average match or something like that doesn't compute with that way hardcore Michaels fans seem to have conceptualized his career. Thus, they decree it epic no matter what even though it's normally the same finisher-pause stuff they see all the time. Michaels-Angle echoed this, and now Michaels-Taker has repeated the trend. It was fine, but it's overrated because of who was in it and the build up to it. If Dolph Ziggler and MVP had that match on Superstars, nobody would have called it MOTY. But because it's Michaels and Taker, they pretty much felt like they had to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back