Second Round: Miami - Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Arn Anderson

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Jushin Thunder Liger

• Arn Anderson

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round matchup in the Miami Subregion. The ring and arena are universal throughout the first round and the organization is not a factor. There is a 20 minute time limit. Vote using any criteria you like. Most votes in the poll at the end of the time period wins. In the case of a tie we will go off of the number of written votes. In the case of a second tie, both are eliminated. Assume one week has passed since the first round ended.

newaerial.jpg

Jushin Thunder Liger

Justin_Thunder_Liger.jpg

Vs.

Arn Anderson

arn002.jpg

Voting is open for 4 days.

I love ole Arn but were talking about the best ever here and when it comes down to these too Liger comes out on top arn has a size advantage but liger is one of the top 10 ever and maybe even the best to come from japan (i said maybe dont go crazy) this will be a good match but Jushin takes it here

Although more methodical and conscious of what he's doing in the ring that 99% of today's wrestlers, Arn Anderson is extreme predictable. I'll outline an Arn Anderson match for you right here:

1) Find an arm or leg to stomp on for 15 minutes.

2) Wear down opponent with submission moves applied to that night's chosen appendage.

There's not much else that can be said about the man. Liger is just as strong as Anderson, and hell of a lot more faster. I like Arn, and it's a shame he never got a run with a heavyweight title, but he's going up against on the top 20 wrestlers of all time here.

I'm voting for Arn Anderson, but won't bat an eye if Liger beats him. It's a push as far as I'm concerned. Anderson has great power, but so does Liger. Anderson CAN slow someone down by working a leg or something, and that's how I see Liger being beat. Anderson injures Liger's leg, Liger goes for a high risk move... his leg gives out and is DDT'd or Spinebustered to an oblivion and pinned.

However, high flyers have given Anderson lots of trouble and if Liger's healthy the whole match, it's likely that Liger can beat Anderson. But I'm sticking with Double A. Someone has to, dammit!

[youtube]ij0IJ4GJKLs[/youtube]

[youtube]nh7-OCuTEKU&feature=related[/youtube]​

Watch and learn boys and girls. Arn Anderson isn't as bad against High Fliers as some may think. Now by no means do I think Liger is a push over, and he will truly be a hard opponent to beat.. but Anderson can do it.

Diglet's pointed out in a simple manner, that Anderson is nothing special. He's slow, he's methodical, he's calculating. What does this mean to me? It means that the fast paced, high flying Liger will make mistakes in his onslaught and Anderson will wait them out and strike when the opportunity presents itself.

If you watched that video, Muta was in control and about to finish off Anderson. Until a quick set of knees to the gut changed everything, and an even quicker DDT put the match away. Thats the beauty about Anderson. The spinebuster-DDT finishing set is quick, painful, and hard to counter.

Anderson wins for me.

[youtube]ij0IJ4GJKLs[/youtube]

[youtube]nh7-OCuTEKU&feature=related[/youtube]​

Watch and learn boys and girls. Arn Anderson isn't as bad against High Fliers as some may think. Now by no means do I think Liger is a push over, and he will truly be a hard opponent to beat.. but Anderson can do it.

Diglet's pointed out in a simple manner, that Anderson is nothing special. He's slow, he's methodical, he's calculating. What does this mean to me? It means that the fast paced, high flying Liger will make mistakes in his onslaught and Anderson will wait them out and strike when the opportunity presents itself.

If you watched that video, Muta was in control and about to finish off Anderson. Until a quick set of knees to the gut changed everything, and an even quicker DDT put the match away. Thats the beauty about Anderson. The spinebuster-DDT finishing set is quick, painful, and hard to counter.

Anderson wins for me.

Uh, Muta's not a high-flyer, Will. Save for a moonsault and a few simple top-rope maneuvers that are included in every wrestler's moveset, Muta is about as grounded as they get. Nice try, but you're comparing two totally different things here.

Liger, being Japanese, automatically loses my vote. (To balance the votes he gets solely for that reason.) Although, Arn Anderson would receive my vote regardless here.

I love slow-paced wrestlers. I think that the most effective way to wrestle a match is to keep it at your pace, pick and choose your spots, and wear down the opponent. Arn Anderson was that type of a wrestler. The match would start with the obligatory tests of strength, and while Liger is strong, there is no refuting that he is over matched. Typically, a wrestling match tends to be controlled in the early-goings by the stronger competitor. Given this type of opening, Arn can wear down his opponents legs, targeting the knee or ankle to negate the speed advantage of Liger. And when that is accounted for, Liger essentially has a snowball's chance in hell.

This match will go one of two ways: Arn wears down Liger and pounds him into submission, or Liger goes for the home run and Arn catches him. Spinebuster, DDT, 3 count.

I'm not going to be taking a kayfabe approach for the majority of the tournament, so most of my votes will be based on who I feel was the greater wrestler overall.

And in this matchup I voted for Jushin "Thunder" Liger. I love Arn Anderson, and feel he's one of the most underrated wrestlers of his era hands down. And honestly between the two wrestlers, I've seen far more Arn Anderson matches than I have Jushin "Thunder" Liger matchups. But from what I've seen of him, and what I've researched on him and wrestling history in general, he had more of an impact definitely than Anderson. Jushin "Thunder" Liger is one of the greatest light-heavyweight wrestlers of all-time. Not only for his success as a draw and titles won, but also for the influence he had on the light-heavyweight division. His early '90s WCW matches with Brian Pillman put "crusierweight-wrestling" on the map here in America. Many of wrestling's biggest stars got started in this style of wrestling from Benoit, to Guerrero, to Jericho, to Mysterio and plenty more. A lot of modern professional wrestling, the in-ring style of it I mean, can be traced back to the innovative career of Jushin "Thunder" Liger. Anderson was a workhorse and an amazingly consistent performer, but he wasn't exactly innovative per se, from an in-ring standpoint, just damn solid and good.

Anderson I think helped set the standard for the "enforcer" role in wrestling stables, but that's just not as big a deal as influencing an entire style of wrestling, like Liger has done.

Arn Anderson was great and highly underrated, but Jushin "Thunder" Liger was a more influential and talented in-ring performer. For those reasons, I have to go with Liger.

Now just for fun in a kayfabe sense, I think this matchup would be fantastic first of all, and for me too close to call. I could see either man winning. I could see Liger flustering Anderson with his high-risk offense and probably catching Anderson off guard and pinning him with something that Anderson wouldn't expect or be prepared for. On the other hand, I could see Liger making a mistake and Anderson going to town on him in the process and putting Liger away. I could agree with anyone that supports Liger winning the match or Anderson. Either man could do it. Too bad they never got to wrestle each other. It would've been a phenomenal match. They'd been perfect opponents for one another I think.

Liger, being Japanese, automatically loses my vote. (To balance the votes he gets solely for that reason.) Although, Arn Anderson would receive my vote regardless here.
racism?bant?
I love slow-paced wrestlers. I think that the most effective way to wrestle a match is to keep it at your pace, pick and choose your spots, and wear down the opponent. Arn Anderson was that type of a wrestler.
I agree. That is a most effective way to wrestle matches. It would be in Liger's best interest to keep the match at his higher/faster pace. It would allow him to really pick and choose his spots and decide whether to use his power moves, strikes, or high flying attacks. Forcing a faster more draining pace would definitely wear down his opponent. Liger is that type of wrestler.
The match would start with the obligatory tests of strength, and while Liger is strong, there is no refuting that he is over matched.
I dunno about that test of strength opening, but it is possible (which apparently make it conclusive fact). Unlike you I never got around to conducting tests of either man's peak or mean strength and power outputs, so I'd rather not say for certain who is stronger, but Mr. Anderson (no, not that one...) is taller and heaver. That much we can agree upon...
[youtube]0dGBhjF-iiY#t=1m8s[/youtube]
But what if ^this^ test of strength opening were to happen instead?
Typically, a wrestling match tends to be controlled in the early-goings by the stronger competitor.
Typically, saying something will happen just because it could happen is flawed logic, typically.
Given this type of opening, Arn can wear down his opponents legs, targeting the knee or ankle to negate the speed advantage of Liger. And when that is accounted for, Liger essentially has a snowball's chance in hell.
Assuming your preferred opening takes place I must remind you that Jushin Liger is not the Japanese Rey Misterio. Far from it in fact. In reality Liger has shown numerous times that he is more than comfortable and confident in participating in a ground based power and grappling game, replacing his speed for strikes, submissions and power moves. And when that is accounted for, Liger essentially has a damn good chance.
This match will go one of two ways: Arn wears down Liger and pounds him into submission, or Liger goes for the home run and Arn catches him. Spinebuster, DDT, 3 count.
This match could go in one of two ways: Either Jushin Liger wins, or he doesn't. My bet, and consequently my vote, is on the former.

I went Liger here. I've given Japanese wrestlers a raw deal in this tourney at times, even going as low as to vote for Samoa Joe over them. However, Liger doesn't lose this one here. I've actually seen a few Liger matches. They're quite good. He's a cruiserweight, but is pretty well built when looking at him. Just by watching him for a few minutes you can tell he's extremely talented and definetly would be a top guy anywhere.

Anderson? He's ok. Probably a little better and more successful as a tag guy. Certainly would have trouble with the power, speed, and cool mask combo Liger brings to the table.

I was on the fence with this one to be honest with you. I don't think I've ever seen an Anderson match against anyone like Liger, and I haven't seen the main event of Starrcade when they were both in the battlebowl to see how they interacted, if they did at all, and couldn't be arsed to download it.

Liger acheived something in WCW, something few foreign stars did, and I think that probably Anderson would have lost to him in the end, considering that during the majority of his career peak he was a tag wrestler. I think a vote for Liger's the right one, probably.

Anderson stands no chance against Liger here, though this would have been a delight to see. Anderson actually ranks among my favourite wrestlers ever. I don't really give a shit about the "predictable" argument; it doesn't negate from my enjoyment of watching him wear down his opponents with locks and holds or toss them about like a ragdoll. Also, not to mention he was fantastic on the mic, he's cut several of my favourite promos ever. He ranks among the best in that department.

So yeah, I'm voting Anderson. It's not like he's going to win anyway.

But if anybody has any doubts and is on the fence, remember this. Arn Anderson was the first American wrestler to ever beat both Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan via means of pinfall/submission. And he did this several months apart. Oh, and he beat Hulk Hogan twice in two weeks consecutively. Think a scrawny bastard like Liger would have stood a chance against Anderson at that time? Pff. Nah ;)

As much as I know Liger's contributions to pro-wrestling have been unforgettable and incredible, I cannot vote for him against Arn Anderson.

Arn was just such a master in the ring. He always seemed like he would back down from no one and eventually get his hand raised at the end of the grueling match.

Now, if Liger wins here, I won't be that disappointed. Liger was an incredible addition to this business and was always exciting to watch. But I'll still go with the Enforcer here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back