[Rumor] TNA to Focus on Younger Talent?

Dizzy

Championship Contender
Amongst TNA Wrestling officials, there has been talk of changing the focus from "big name" veteran stars of yesteryear to the younger performers in the organization.

One source stated that the members of Fortune—AJ Styles, James Storm, Robert Roode and Kazarian—would be among the top babyfaces in the company and that "it would be interesting to see" what happens when the contracts of Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair come due. However, the source added that while creative is behind the proposition, plans could easily change.

The source feels that Impact's ratings in the coming weeks will be the deciding factor in whether the company begins focusing on younger talents.

"The key is the ratings," the source stated. "[Dixie Carter] panics when the ratings dip. If it moves two points, she'll panic."

The source explained that if Impact's ratings fall one point as they did last week (from a 1.3 to a 1.2), the company's creative direction stays course. However, the feeling is that Carter tends to overreact when the ratings slide down two points.

http://www.pwtorch.com/

This is a really good idea. I still hope the likes of Sting still get atleast one run before a youth movement.

I also hope the "Young Talent" includes the likes of Crimson, Motor City Machine Guns and Magnus which all deserve to be top main eventers within the company. It seems like Hernandez would be included in this movement as well.

TNA has done a tremendous job re-creating the Knockouts Brand. I think this could be the next step to creating the TNA brand as a whole.

Not a bad idea. It's what WWE is doing now and it seems to be working, especially on SmackDown. TNA needs to go with what brought them to the dance and that is guys like AJ, Joe, Beer Money, and for god's sakes, bring the X-Division back to prominence, please!! Some of the most exciting "OMG" matches I've ever seen has been from the X-Division.

At the same time, though, keep those main-event regulars around, too. WWE has done a really good job of balancing the new talent with Orton, Edge, Cena, Punk, etc. TNA can do the same.

Oh, one more thing...enough of Angle-Jarrett. Too personal off-camera to be brought to TV. I predict Angle-Jarrett one more time either in the cage, last man standing, or career vs career.

I am sorry. I was with you for a awhile there, but did you really say Magnus and crimson "deserve to be top main eventers" in TNA?

While I suppose a case could be made for Magnus, however unconvincing I'm sure it would be, but Crimson? Really?

What has he done in all his month of working to "deserve" anything at all?

This rumor will likely turn out to be unfounded, anyway. TNA tried that approach. They didn't seem to be happy with the result.

Well, if the goings-ons of the last few weeks are any indication, they're already well under way with the shift, and the catalyst was likely the Fortune turn.

Most folks will consider it a Millionare's Club v. New Blood III (since MEM v. TNA Frontline was Part II), but so long as it ends with the young blood on top again, it'll have worked for a second time and will likely result in major success for whoever is actually put over in the process.

I'm all for "going younger", so long as those younger talents have personality. That means keeping Jay Lethal away from any major titles/TV time. Guys like Crimson, MCMG, etc. all have what it takes to become a new crop of stars, though.

This is exactly what TNA needs to do! They should've done it a long time ago, TNA's young guys is exactly why I got into the product in the first place. All the guys in fortune are great and deserve to be pushed to the top, bring back the X-division and highlight it. Establish the TV title as an IC title equivalent, and get these old washed up idiots out of here please. Im not talking about all the former WWE guys keeo Anderson and Pope and those who are still young but the ones past their primes, its time to go! They're watering down the product and its time to go. For whoever said keep Jay lethal away is crazy? He could very successful with the right storyline! Guys like Joe, AJ, Daniels, MCMG's, Kazarian, the guys who have been there awhile and haven't left to go up north stick with those guys. Oh and for GOD SAKES GET THE HARDY'S (ESPECIALLY MATT) OFF TV PLEASE!!!!!!!!! Oh and make the tag team division relevant again like it was in the early days of tna and WWE back in the day. Tna has a talented roster use it correctly please!

TNA SHOULD focus on their younger talent. What is it getting them, by bringing in Steiner, or focusing on Jarrett? It is just the same old shit, and TNA isn't moving ahead at all.

If that is going to continue to be the case, why not focus on your younger guys? You know what you are going to get by focusing on the older guys, and that is NOTHING. At least if you take a chance and try to make some of the younger guys relevant, you couldn't be any worse than things are now. There is a chance that seeing fresh faces, in fresh matches, would benefit TNA much more than putting their company in the hands of washed up or rejects that didn't draw a dime in their prime anyway...

Smart move. They used to focus on their younger talent, and they vanished. This will help with the ratings.

I am sorry. I was with you for a awhile there, but did you really say Magnus and crimson "deserve to be top main eventers" in TNA?

While I suppose a case could be made for Magnus, however unconvincing I'm sure it would be, but Crimson? Really?

What has he done in all his month of working to "deserve" anything at all?

This rumor will likely turn out to be unfounded, anyway. TNA tried that approach. They didn't seem to be happy with the result.

What was wrong in mentioning Magnus and Crimson?

If you are to start a "youth movement", you are to put faith in, and take chances on, younger talent in order for them to gain the experience needed to mold them into veterans.

If you laugh at using newer talent while they're young so they can grow and become mainstays, so they can have time to build into the stars they need to be and can be, then you're defeating the purpose of a "youth movement" in the first place.

I don't get it when people do that. They say "yeah, awesome, get the old guys off the screen". Then they scoff when newer guys are given a push as if they haven't "earned their spot" yet.

How are you supposed to earn your spot if you're not pushed and given the chance to see if you have what it takes? It's just an opinion that makes no logical sense to me.

It only makes sense to off load the overpaid, part time legends if they are not increasing the ratings (see Vince letting Bret go to WCW). Don't get me wrong, I hate to miss iMPACT and I love to see the type of Slic Ric or Sting. The thing is that they're luxuries that ain't increasing ratings. Joe's feelings on these vets are well known and I'm guessing he is far from alone.

As many critics of TNA's tag division have pointed out - how many viable teams have they outside of BMI and the MMGs? For Nash's contract you could probably afford the Briscoes and the American Wolves! Drop the Hardys and RVD - revitalise the X Division and the KOs.

It has to be said though, I don't think that youth policy alone is enough - if they get a chance to bring in ex WWe that are fully committed and can really go (like they've done in the past with Kurt and Christian), of course they should grab them with both hands. Familiar faces are always needed to provide a big show feel. MVP, World's Greatest Tag Team, Carlito, Kaval/ LowKi - all guys with recognition, age and ability on their sides (and more importantly, as they've been future endeavoured they won't cost the bank).

Finally, whatever policy they move with, one area is were TNA will always be judged - creative. There is no point in having a roster full of guys who can go if there is only 15 minutes of action in two hours of programming. I quite like the guerilla backstage vignettes, keep them and only have occasional in ring promos - at least then it'll feel special! And keep it logical - machetes? Nail studded two by fours? Unexplained kidnappings? Kids involved in feuds? Unnecessary BS has killed far to many TNA storylines! Is the Angle/ Jarretts' plot not sufficiently over enough going with 'I took your woman' versus 'All you've taken is my sloppy seconds'?

this i what TNA needs to do, the younger talent is the future. you can't just keep using former WWE guys.

nothing wrong with mentioning Crimson. he might not have done much for wrestling yet in TNA, but he has a tremendous look. maybe done properly he could be the next Goldberg.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with using the veterans, but it's how you use them. it isn't going to matter to the general viewers who don't know the younger talent if you have great young guy vs great young guy. if great young guy beats one of the well known veterans it elevates the younger guys.

TNA should be focusing on pushing the younger guys, but also helping them with mic work and catch phrases. look how huge the Rock/Stone Cold were in WWE with all the catch phrases. give the crowd the chance to get involved so they aren't boring.

Its true that TNA should be doing this but i dont like why its being done. Just because of Dixie Carter panicking if ratings go down 2 points? This is not the sign of a well thoughtout plan for the company, and it shows a weak leader in Dixie Carter, Since were talking about Youth Movement with wrestlers why not look for new talent in creative. Russo is done as a booker as far as im concerned, Try to look for new and upcoming bookers.

Hernandez is 38. While he certainly a fresher piece of talent and a TNA original, he is not young by any stretch of the imagination. He is older than The Rock actually. However, he is still in good shape.

Not a bad idea. It's what WWE is doing now and it seems to be working, especially on SmackDown.

We won't know if it works for a couple of years. If the ratings and buy rates continue to slowly slide like they have been, it's not really working.

Dixie Carter doesn't understand,what is the true meaning of a youth movement, TNA had a great opportunity to go full force with a youth movement when they did the whole MEM gimmick, but like all their story-lines they cut it short. But this has been TNA problem since before Dixie. Under both ownership they teased us with young guys like AJ & Joe and then they push the veterans sky high. They have drop the ball on many young guys but I think their biggest mistake was not keeping CM PUNK, he has been gold in the ring and mic for WWE. Another reason for their struggles is that they don't do any tapings outside the impact-zone and don't know what a true crowd reaction is. Its hard to judge your product when you only perform in front of the same people every week.Its been almost 10 yrs what are they waiting for to roll the dice.

Hernandez is 38. While he certainly a fresher piece of talent and a TNA original, he is not young by any stretch of the imagination. He is older than The Rock actually. However, he is still in good shape.

We won't know if it works for a couple of years. If the ratings and buy rates continue to slowly slide like they have been, it's not really working.

Rock was born in 72. Hernandez 73.

Anyway, I hope TNA does this. Anderson was the first wrestler since Samoa Joe to win the TNA belt who wasn't World Champ before. I want new World Champions and new main eventers so I hope TNA goes that direction.

AJ Styles, James Storm, Robert Roode and Kazarian. The names listed may be young but they have been on TNA television for a long time, often in the main event picture. They aren't 'fresh' to the audience. The trigger should have been pulled years ago but only AJ Styles was pushed to the top. Saying these names constitute a push for youth is like WWE pushing of Cena, Orton and Punk now is a youth movement.

If the big name talents aren't making enough of a dent in TNA's business to be worth their pay, then it makes sense to just roll with the younger, cheaper talent.

If TNA does decide to fade out some of the big names and let their contracts expire, I hope they can get them to put over some of the less-proven talent on their ways out.

That is what I mean. All of four tune can be said to "deserve to be a top main eventer.". They have shown time and again that they can do what needs Tiberius. Magnus also, to a lesser extent.

But to say that crimson is ready,much less deserving of a main event push is premature to an amazing level.

A youth movement is a good idea, and a bit late in coming, but it would be unwise to pivot the whole thing on a guy who has done nothing for the company. Remember Goldberg? I doubt TNA could do it even as well as WCW did.

With Hogan and Bischoff still being in TNA I doubt TNA will focus more on the younger talent in the coming weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back