Rumor Mill: Is TNA smarter than we think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Phoenix

Hate me yet? Guess I'll try harder.
Ok, I don't post often. I pick my spots on where to chime in but recent rumors that are floating around got me to thinking. What if TNA really is setting themselves up to give WWE a run for their money? Here's a few things I'd like to point out:

1.) Bobby Lashley made an appearance. This would lead us to believe that he has decided to join the TNA roster. As many have pointed out, Lashley at one point was someone Vince spent a lot of time and effort building up. Given his recent run in MMA, Lashley just might be a breath of fresh air for the TNA fans and quite possibly draw some new ones.

2.) Rumored that Taz was backstage at Lockdown and will play the role of Joe's mentor in the future. This could do a world of good for Samoa Joe. It didn't dawn on me until I heard these rumors that Joe could be compared to Taz in a certain sense and there is nobody better to help Joe improve than the Human Suplex Machine. I am curious to see how this pans out.

3.) Rumors of Paul London and Amazing Red to TNA. If this turns out to be true, consider it a shot of steroids to the X Division. I have always been a fan of Paul London's work and I think he'd do well for himself in TNA. Amazing Red, I really don't think I can stress how EPIC this will be if he returns. One of the men that paved the way for the entire X Division as we know it.

4.) Talk of Jeff Hardy's contract running out and possibly considering TNA. This might sound far fetched but for the sake of argument just go with it. A move like this could very well be the platform to launch TNA to a new level. Jeff Hardy is one of THE most over personas in the world of pro wrestling. The amount of support this would draw for TNA would be immensely more astronomical than his first jump to TNA purely because he's had that one (albeit short) major title reign in the WWE. I can't begin to imagine how drastically somethin like this could change TNA's title picture.

Keep in mind this is a whole bunch of what ifs. I'm just asking for opinions. What do you think?

True. There are a lot of what if's, but even if everything you pointed out came true, TNA would still need some work. Roster wise, TNA would have some great star power but would be too big for just a single 2hr show per week. They would need a smackdown to increase the action, allow people air time and progress storylines. I do hope they sign somebody who can help creatively.

I don't know if they are "smarter than we think". I watch TNA and continually am amazed at some of the recockulous stuff going on. To say they are smarter than we think would mean that they let Jeff go to WWE and build himself up just to drop back into TNA in the future. DOUBT they thought that far in advance.

BUT I do think that TNA is closer than ever before to becoming somewhat of a competitor to WWE. For WWE's sake, I almost hope TNA continues to grow. It'd make WWE step up to the plate a little more.

TNA is a stale product that I do not see becoming fresh unless they unload all of the veterans. Mick Foley holding the title cmon that's rediculous. Hollywood Hogan held back all future stars in WCW and now AJ Styles who is ready to be the face of that company is not in the Main Event picture. Jeff Hardy and Lashley could do wonders but I do not see Hardy coming back to TNA as its a step down for him. I don't think they are smart at all and until Jarret and company retire the show isn't big enuff for all the wrestlers.

I agree with this post. TNA is a LOT smarter than people give them credit for, and I just wish people would get over this "creative sucks" deal. You know what creative team sucks? The one that has a guy take a sledgehammer to a 60 year old man's neck, then has the same guy defending that 60 year old a year later, condemning a man who kicked him...

TNA iMPACT! last week was tremendous, and the likelihood of new stars and the change of the belts made me much more interested in TNA than I have been in awhile.

It seems like all of Vince's investments have been making TNA into a better option to watch... Lashley, etc.

The only problem is the need to keep the homegrown talent prevalent, which requires even more time than TNA already has. Perhaps an hour before Raw or on a Wednesday night would really help. They only need a little more time so that more guys can be focused on. But either way, I really think TNA is on the right track.

^^ Idiot. ^^

Getting rid of all the veterans would be the stupidest idea ever.

I think a stale product would be one with the same 2 guys on top all the time (HHH, Cena) or a product that ONLY ever features pure wrestling matches ALL THE TIME (RoH).

I watch all 3 companies and I have to say that TNA is by far the least stale company going.

I think if they got someone like Paul Heyman to help in creative, they would have a shot at giving the WWE a run for it's money. Even if they kept Paul off TV and just got him to help with storylines and angles, it would be huge.TNA has been accused of being WCW-like and sure enough, they are similar, but with the latest PPV in Philly and with the former ECW talent that they have, they seem to be making a play for the alienated ECW fans that the WWE left behind, so if they manage to grab some former WCW fans, AND some former ECW fans, their fan base expands, now, mix WCW and ECW together and you have a shot at grabbing some old WWE Attitude fans too. Still, their writing has to improve drastically for them to do that. They have the wrestlers, they don't have the fresh ideas yet, their next big acquisition must be in the creative area.

i agree kurgen tna needs someone like paul heyman or eric bischoff! i know they have contacted bischoff and he doesnt want to go to tna but what about heyman? does anyone know if they have tried to get him to tna?

Heyman stated that the only way he would do it is if they let him have complete control, something that won't happen. And I love Heyman as much as the next guy and I think his booking is great but don't you think that he may not be the best choice 10 years after his company folded? I know he's better than WWE, and I'd prefer him to Russo, but I wouldn't trust my entire company in his hands.

Bobby Lashley is obviously a small time deal, considering mma is his pride and joy right now. I believe it was a big mistake for him to take this and stupid for TNA to give him a contract.
Jeff Hardy is planning to take time off and the reason is obvious as well. He has been in pain for awhile and why would he go to TNA where he has going to have to perform a lot of high spots. Sorry to say this but, Jeff is only good if he can perform extreme moves that hurt his already bruised body.
I doubt Samoa Joe will get any help by being mentored by Taz. Joe needs to be brought back as the way he debuted, a killing machine. A mentor, some face paint, and a rather fake looking "Samoan tribal" knife isn't going to help

Well, I think TNA have the opportunity now to make it big. They've got a lot of great stars in many different areas, and if your what ifs come true then it could look like this-

Tag Division- LAX, MCMG, Team 3D, Beer Money, Lethal Consequences

X Division- Suicide, Jay Lethal, Consequences Creed, Alex Shelley, Chris Sabin, Sheik Abdul Bashir, Kiyoshi, Paul London, Amazing Red, Eric Young, Shark Boy

Knockout Division-
Minor- Rhaka Khan, Sojo Bolt, MAdison Rayne
Mid- Christy Hemme, Daffney, Velvet Sky, Raisha Saeed
Major- Awesome Kong, Taylor Wilde, Roxxi, ODB, Angelina Love

Heavyweight Division-
Minor- Cody Deaner, Brutus Magnus, Shane Sewell
Mid- Matt Morgan, Abyss, Christopher Daniels, Rhino
Main- AJ Styles, Sting, Kurt Angle, Samoa Joe, Bobby Lashley, Jeff Jarrett, Jeff Hardy
Washed Up-Booker T, Kevin Nash, Scott Steiner, Mick Foley

And that sounds like an awesome roster to me. And I think if they got rid of most of the washed up stars, or moved them to non-wrestling roles, they'd be a lot better. I think Kevin Nash should have gone about 60 years ago, Scott Steiner has way too many injuries, and Mick Foley cant do anything apart from hit someone with something any more. Booker T can still wrestle fairly well, but his age is catching up with him.

But I think to get on WWE's level, they'd need one last signing- Rob.... Van... Dam!

:fuckoff:

Bobby Lashley? Seriously? YAWN! You TNA honks really amuse me somtimes. Bobby Lashley couldn't draw if you gave him a piece of paper and a crayon!

I have to agree all though i think theyre improving especially if Jeff Hardy actually did come back. Lashley is better suited for MMA and thats probably where he belongs, hes a poor man's goldberg or brock lesnar with less personality than brock (if thats even possible)

I mean theyre getting a lot of bit pieces but there's no significant impact here, Lashley could win the TNA tittle but no one is going to crazy over it. TNA need to improve their TV show, their writing and their marketing and then theyll have a chance:undertaker2:

I have to disagree with the both of you. Lashely is a trained amature wrestler as well as mma fighter and prowrestler. He was apart of a major match at the grandest stage of the all, Vince Mc Mahon himself wanted Lashley to another big face for his empire. This is an epic score for TNA but they still have to pull it off the rite way, storylines, feud and development.

Jeff Hardy would be intriguing. Kids love him, and TNA might be lacking that star that has a kid following. If he values rest over money (make no mistake, he can earn more in WWE), TNA tapes 2 episodes in a 2 week period, and for the first few months he could skip most of the House Shows. This would also give him time to rebuild his house some more and make more art and do other things he wants to take time off in order to do.

I don't' know though if TNA would necessarily want to invest in him. He didn't stick the first time. He's not the most reliable in terms of extra-curricular activities. But as I said, he could be the star that draws in kids. And just like how it's good to invest in young wrestlers, it's good to invest in young fans. So there's pro's and con's.

Heyman stated that the only way he would do it is if they let him have complete control, something that won't happen. And I love Heyman as much as the next guy and I think his booking is great but don't you think that he may not be the best choice 10 years after his company folded? I know he's better than WWE, and I'd prefer him to Russo, but I wouldn't trust my entire company in his hands.

Yeah I'd trust Heyman with my company, from a creative standpoint at least. ECW didn't fold because of bad booking, it was bad management on Heyman's part, and I don't think he'd be involved in the business aspect of TNA if he took creative control. One of his great strengths is getting the absolute best out of the talent he has, and I believe thats one of the major complaints people have about TNA, a misuse of talent. If he had creative control of TNA then Heyman could help elevate the company a lot higher than signing Bobby Lashley will.

People like Hillmania who called me an idiot are a bit over the head. I am very interested with the other posts as I feel a huge GM presence is a necessity. Also good booking could only help TNA. Hillmania ur a moron and while I'm glad u watch all 3 shows WWE is by far the best product. TNA needs to develop their young stars and a guy like Heyman or Bischoff can be the on screen help they need.

I think these signings will improve TNA, I will be more interested. Whats with the Lashley bashing? Goldberg was good, but overated, and was only in it for the money. Lesnar was better, but then left to persue football, then MMA, almost using WWE to elevate himself. Lashley has an amatuer backround, he also left when he was still on the way up in the business, and he did the mma thing, and now hes back. I believe he loves the business, or he wouldn't have come back, because if it was money, he coulda gone back to WWE at some point. I look at him as a better Goldberg and nicer Brock lol. He was only in WWE for a little while. Give him a chance before bashing him so much. Lets see what he can do.

And don't forget about Nathan Jones. Isn't he signed? He should be back soon.

yeah there is no way he should have complete control...he should just be part of creative

the reason ecw folded is because heyman is bad with money...but he is amazing with storylines..i think heyman and russo together could make some good stuff

The person that TNA needs to elevate their product is NOT someone who's company went out of business 10 years ago or someone who almost drove Vince out of business until he fucked up royally and drove his own company into the shitter. The main star they need sure as fuck isn' Rob Van Dam, nothing against him but he isn't that big of a name and would not elevate the program to WWE's level. The person they need creatively is someone you have never heard of. That is because they need NEW ideas. A whole new perspective. They need someone to bring a whole new outlook on wrestling and change the game forever. Thats what is going to elevate them. Also their future star must be someone who comes out of nowhere and grows into a superstar like the Rock did. What TNA needs is something new, something that isn't already out there and hasn't already been done.

They're all positive moves but I don't think any of them are things to get the WWE worried. EVEN if Lashley stayed on for longer than a couple of months AND they got Jeff Hardy to come back, their ratings aren't going to soar. Jeff was with TNA for like a year and I don't think their ratings went up. People love to see Jeff Hardy but I'm not convinced they go out of their way to do so.

One issue on my mind is that they seem to be signing a lot of people less than a month after doing some huge costcutting. Fire Petey, Sonjay and Rave and then bring in London and Red? Well... that seems a slap in the face to me.

Anyways TNA seem to have so much pressure on them to make that one huge move that will change wrestling overnight because people are desperate for them to. Let's be realistic, it took the WWE decades to get to where they are now. It took WCW years, even after Bischoff convinced Turner to pump more money into it. It's a lot harder to make people jump now, they're locked into tighter contracts. There won't be a Hall, Nash, Luger, Savage, Hogan situation again.

TNA's been going 7 years and they're more successful than ECW and ROH, the two golden companies for the IWC. They aren't challenging WWE, but they're doing amazing ratings if you put things into perspective. Let's have a TNA vs WWE chat in a decade when TNA has been allowed to grow, unless a billionaire decides to invest heavily into them. Until then Lashley, Taz, London, Red, Stevie and maybe Jeff are just more of the many baby steps they're taking in the right direction.

As a fan of TNA's I wish they could sign Jeff Hardy but I really doubt Hardy is leaving the WWE. He's clean and sober now and it would be highly unlikely he'd get the same kind of deal he's getting in the WWE.

This whole talk of TNA being WWE's competition is silly. Vince McMahon was interviewed by The Hollywood Reporter a few weeks ago and said they don't even get a third of the ratings that the WWE gets. Um... Vince... have you been following the ratings lately? TNA is already tied/beating ECW, they beat SuperStars already and they're catching up to SmackDown! which is now stuck in the low 2's. The same week of this interview, SmackDown! only drew a 1.9 in the ratings. So, I'd say TNA is starting to become competition. Getting Hardy, keeping Lashley and signing a few more big names will make a difference.

"Bobby Lashley couldn't draw if you gave him a piece of paper and a crayon!"

Bobby Lashley couldn't draw imoney if you dipped him in superglue and dragged him through a bank vault!

I'm sorry had to add that...

Why can't TNA (and the cult that follows them and thinks every move is THE MOVE) just accept being number 2. Try being a better number 2. You are the Mets/Jets/Islanders/Clippers of pro wrestling.

There is nothing TNA can do short of straight invading Raw, kidnapping Vince and holding him hostage for Jonh Cena, Trips, and his TV time that can garner any attention that they are on par with WWE.

What if Vince is smarter than everyone thinks? He creates these top talents then lets them go on their way as soon as they ask (Lashley, Angle, etc) knowing that lots of talent jump to TNA and he doesn't even care that they do, almost like he expects it. Maybe, just maybe Vince realizes that when TNA makes a certain amount of money they will become a publicly traded company, and he will be there to buy up enough shares to own them. He has the money, and he is a business genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back