• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rumor: Del Rio VS Swagger II

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
According to F4WOnline.com, there's talk backstage that Del Rio & Swagger will continue their feud after WrestleMania. The brief report states that WWE is planning that Del Rio vs. Swagger II will be a submission match as part of the Extreme Rules ppv.

If this is legit, then their feud will also be built around their submission holds: the Cross Armbreaker vs. the Patriot Lock.

My excitement for this match will largely depend on how they work together at WrestleMania.

This could work. The big issue I see is that once the feud with Del Rio is over, especially if Swagger loses, I have no idea what they can do with the character from there. The shock value will wear off, and he will have lost to the Mexican guy. Might as well drag this out for another month so they can come up with a plan for Swagger once Del Rio moves on. Plus, I can't see the matches being bad since both are pretty solid in the ring.

Does that mean Ziggler won't be cashing in at Wrestlemania? How will they set up the rematch? The easiest way would be for Jack Swagger to win the title and ADR invoking his rematch clause but I can't see them giving the title to Swagger after his arrest. If Jack Swagger loses I can't see Zeb staying with him as he would have failed to "bring back America", how would they feud with no Zeb?

Anyway from the way this feud goes I wouldn't mind a rematch but it depends on how they build this feud for Wrestlemania.

I hope Ziggler cashes in after the WM match, but the ADR-Swagger feud continuing based on hatred for each other. That would separate Zig from ADR, since WWE knows that would likely be a boring feud to continue with, and keep Zig free to feud with someone like Bryan (crossing fingers), or Sheamus (hopefully not, but better than ADR-Dolph), or Orton, or a returning Christian, etc.

Frankly I think Swagger will lose just so that he can deal with his legal issues. Also if you haven't noticed, there's another guy who has been waiting in the wings for a while in the WHC storyline. Dolph Ziggler needs to factor into all of this mess eventually. That's 1 face and 2 heels. Add to that, Mark Henry's Hall of Pain comeback and Randy Orton's supposed heel return later, and Sheamus/Daniel Bryan floating around after WM. Swagger's current run may have given the company all they needed to convince them that they shouldn't give up on him just yet but all those other guys who are over on their own steam, would ultimately do more for the championship so I wouldn't have much stock in a Swagger VS ADR II match any time soon after 'Mania.

It's a real shame Swagger got spied on and pulled over in the middle of the most successful push he and ADR have ever gotten. I hope for our sake that their feud is salvageable after Swagger's possible jail time or whatever sentence he might receive. But I can't honestly say that I don't want to see those other guys I mentioned get their time to shine again in the WHC picture.

As characters I find them both as dull as dishwater but I think in the ring they will work pretty well together and I like submission wrestling so I have no issue with this.

I guess the big question is whether it will be for the WHC or not as Triple H seems to be in favour of longer title reigns so I'm not sure they will take it off Del Rio so soon, especially since this is the most successful of the pushes he has gotten.

I don't see how a stipulation like this would benefit either of them. I'm not a massive fan of top babyfaces submitting. They should if the situation calls for it but where possible I'd have the top 4 faces on the roster lose by pinfall, DQ, count out etc.

And Swagger losing by submission basically kills his push dead. I suppose they can get around it by having Del Rio pass out. That'd be my guess as to what happens.

My excitement for this match will largely depend on how they work together at WrestleMania.

For sure. The good thing about booking is the ability to change course if they don't like the direction a feud is heading and the reaction it's getting.

Plainly, the company is wild about Jack Swagger this time around. Come to think of it, they were wild about him at the beginning last time, too, although his journey eventually wound up in jobber hell.

Personally, I don't see much difference in his persona and ring repertoire than before. The angry face and countenance he displays looks kind of stupid on his goofy mug, especially because it's vague as to what he's so angry about.

The Dutch Mantell thing is good business; it masks a pronounced weakness on Swagger's part: speaking ability. Even his "We the people" chant is probably used so often because it contains no "s" sounds for him to slip on. (Even reading his lips, I can "hear" the lisp, poor guy).

As for Del Rio; well, he can use someone new to feud with. His "good guy" days are still a novelty and anyone he takes on will be refreshing since we haven't seen it before.

Whether the Jack-Alberto program continues past WM depends on how well they work together....plus, how much the fans care about it. Of course, if Swagger wins the belt, the feud is bound to continue. Personally, I'd be disappointed to see such a short reign for ADR; I think his face status is a good thing and he deserves to carry the belt longer, especially after having dispatched Big Show so well.

Of course, one thing this feud promises is some top-notch ring wrestling, so that's good.

This is going to be excited. both are so entertaining in the ring to watch and i can't wait to see them wrestle at mania. it's going to be intense. i want to see more parody videos by rio and rodriguez lol

If they work well together at Mania I would be excited to see a submission match between the two. I was thinking Ziggler might cash in after the Mania match, but if he doesn't I think Swagger should win the title. I would like to see Del Rio chasing the title into Extreme rules, and he be the one to suggest the submission stipulation when he wins the belt back.

I'm not a massive fan of top babyfaces submitting. They should if the situation calls for it but where possible I'd have the top 4 faces on the roster lose by pinfall, DQ, count out etc.

Frankly I feel they need to submit far more than they currently are. I remember back when The Walls of Jericho, the Ankle Lock, and Crippler Crossface where actually legit threats. Why? Because people like Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Hulk Hogan, etc etc where tapping out to them. If people are not tapping out to submissions, unless it's the STF by Cena and seriously F that garbage, then it makes submissions as a whole look weak and discredits people like Daniel Bryan and Alberto Del Rio for example who have submission based finishers.

Hell my biggest problem with Del Rio's heel run wasn't that he was boring, bland and one dimensional, it was that there was no way I could view him as a creditable threat. Why? Because his character was built around the Cross Armbreaker and yet I sure as hell knew Cena/Punk/Orton/Sheamus/etc wouldn't be tapping out to it.

The top faces need to be allowed to tap to submissions, not saying they need to be instant taps, but they can do it like Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels at wrestlemania where Angle held him in that ankle lock with shawn teasing rope breaks, and reverses for nearly 5 minutes before he finally tapped out. If the submission is built up, applied and sold correctly than anyone could tap out without it diminishing their character.

Another reason for this submission match could be for Ziggler to cash-in. While I would love to see Ziggler cash-in at Wrestlemania, I think him cashing-in on the weak, vulnerable, one legged or one armed winner at Extreme Rules would make more sense than if he did it at Wrestlemania.

Plus Extreme Rules is the revenge PPV for Wrestlemania, it would also make more sense to end the feud between Swagger & Del Rio as most hardcore matches are meant to, rather than start off Del Rio & Ziggler's with a hardcore stip for their first proper match together.

My excitement for this also depends on how they work at Wrestlemania, but I cannot see two solid performers like these two having a bad match at Mania, and a submission match between these two could be even better, so I'm not worried too much about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back