Rugby League 2009 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK-aholic

Shawn Michaels ❤
Okay, so it's November '08. But I have my Season Ticket and my new shirt, and I think that means I can officially get excited about next season. Which Leeds have an amazing chance at being the only team ever to retain their Super League title for the third year in a row. For those that don't know, last year they became the only team in SL history to win both the Super League title and World Club Challenge in the same year.

Their first big challenge will be March 1st, where we go once again to Elland Road, this time to take on Manly Sea Eagles to once again be crowned Champions of World Rugby League. Incredibly interesting for me, as I support both Leeds and Manly. However, Leeds obviously come first, and my money's on them to win this.

This next season will be interesting, when 12 become 14. Each team will play every other team twice; home and away. This is so much better than what we've had in recent years, with teams such as Leeds and St Helens playing Top teams such as Bradford and Wigan 4 times. Whereas teams such as Hull FC got newly promoted Hull KR 4 times. This will definitely make everything we see so much more reliable. And if Leeds can beat Bulls 4 times a season, I think we'll be okay with the newly promoted teams also.

Well the Australian NRL competition starts in March and I can't wait for it. Speaking of the World Club Challenge, I hate to say it, but i want Leeds to win. I can't stand Manly and I dont want them to win. I want the Roosters still to be the last Australian team to win it.

The NRL should be another close competition in 2009 with the favourites being Manly and the Storm again. I doubt the Storm will be good enough to go for their 4th Grand Final, but i think the Warriors and the Broncos could be up their next year. Im hoping for my Roosters to go well and back up from last year.

And last night was a big dissapointment for Australia, we lost the World Cup to New Zealand. All tournament we dominated, only let in 3 tries. Then last night, we didn't turn up and payed the price. But i think the result will benefit International Rugby League as they have generated a fairly large profit which will help expand the game into countries which dont have the money to start up competitions like Fiji and PNG. Plus, next year their is a 4 nations tournament with Australia, NZ, England and France competiting and at the same time a Pacific Tournament will be played and the nation that wins that earns a spot in the 4 nations in 2010.

Anyway its good for the game of the Rugby League and hopefully Nations grow stronger with local competitions so the 2013 Rugby League World Cup is another great event.

Leeds Rhinos Vs Celtic Crusaders

This is our first game, which takes place a week before the official start of the Super League Season. This is to allow Leeds a week off on March 1st to play Manly Sea Eagles for the World Club Championship.

Without trying to sound overconfident, I think Leeds will start this season amazingly with Celtic being their first challenge. Newly promoted Celtic, who have yet to feel the wrath of any team in SL during the competition. This first year of theirs will be them finding their feet rather than trying to defeat the big teams. And without relegation to worry about, they should do well in the years to come.

For now, however, they're just a good 3 points for Leeds to kick off the season with, automatically placing us top of the table as no other teams will yet have played.

Leeds Rhinos stormed to the Top of the Engage Super League once again, with a convincing 28-6 win over newcomers Celtic Crusaders. The first half ended without the Leeds defensive line being broken once, holding the Crusaders to a 22-0 thrashing. However, the second half was a different team, Celtic looked to be more comfortable, have several repeat sets, and it was only the amazing defence from the Rhinos which stopped them evening out the scores.

Celtic were unlucky to get the Super League champions in the first game, however they can take a lot from this, a 22 point difference is not a huge difference when you look at Leeds beating St. Helens 70-0 and Bradford 30-0 in previous seasons.

it was also good fun to beat Wakey the other night, however it wasnt the greatest performance by Leeds but im pleased they didnt get a try got my Ticket all sorted for the WCC and look forward to it should be a good game.

it was also good fun to beat Wakey the other night, however it wasnt the greatest performance by Leeds but im pleased they didnt get a try got my Ticket all sorted for the WCC and look forward to it should be a good game.

Wakefield not getting passed us last week was a testament to how strong our defensive line is, as was also shown at the Celtic game, with them getting only one try in the whole game.

WCC will be great, I also have my ticket. Leeds are one of the only teams who have a chance against the amazing Sea Eagles - their defensive a good match for Manly#s attack.

i dont see much changing this year. it will be us and Saints in the final again. i honestly think manly just arnt good enough to compete with us either so i think the WCC is already in the bag

Not sure if I'm with you in saying St Helens - A LOT has changed this season, and while I think Leeds are strong enough to keep their position at the top, Saints have lost a few key players and, most importantly, Daniel Anderson this season. He was the glue for their side. Maybe I'm baised because of my undying hatred for them. Maybe.

Manly will be a bigger threat than you think - I'm a Manly fan when it comes to the NRL. But our defence has been solid recently, strong enough to counter their amazing attack, I would say.

i still think Saints will get there, even if they lost a few players they still have a better squad than the rest. I mean whos gonna take the place Bradford? Hull?

It's a good point, actually. I'm obviously slightly biased being a Leeds fan, but really, we're the best in the league by pretty far. Bradford? Wigan? Warrington? It's hard to picture any of those names up there, especially because last year Leeds and Saints practically owned the league. I can't actually remember who finished 3rd, because it wasn't important. The race for first place and 6th place were the most important.

Well its this sunday. I still think we have the better squad then Manly plus our form is pretty good. i shall be there right in the Kop. To be fair to them though they are probably gonna be the best team we will face this year.

I agree with you there. I'll be at the game, stressing completely about the possibility of a loss, which would crush me. The start of the season has been poor. Not for Leeds specifically, but for the competition. I think we can blame that on a poor pre-season, most teams have complained the weather played a factor. While Leeds can't complain as they've won all their games, compared to the beginning of last season the games have been of a poorer quality.

However, Manly's last competitive game was their Grand Final last year, will that be a good thing for Leeds or Manly?

probably leeds as it means that our players have had time to gel together and get back into the shape of things plus im unsure if Manly have brought in any new players as i dont really follow them but if they have they wont all be on the same page straight away. i agree with you every game i go to im always fearful of a loss and this one will be no differant.

Man was i wrong about Manly. What did you all think about the game? Personnally they were much better than i expected and our own mistakes cost us. There 3 try spell at the start of the second half killed us and its our own fault. We were god awful in that patch. Looked good at the end though. i rekon if the match went on ten mins longer, we would of won.

Moving on now to the Challenge Cup. Leeds vs Saints......grrrrrrrrr what doya think?

I think it was 3 trys in 6 minutes, my God that was awful, everyone knew then that it was over, but no one wanted to admit it. To be honest, the betetr team won, they just played better. Yeah, we decided we wanted to win with maybe a minute left?10 more and we'd have had them, but it was too little too late.

Leeds won't keep their unbeaten run through those 5 games, we have Wigan, Bradford, and Saints twice, they'll have to slip up somewhere. Just as long as it isn't to Saints, because I really can't stand losing to them.

Leeds Rhinos 34 - Wigan Warriors 10

A sensational kicking game left Leeds Rhinos 2 points clear at the top of the Engage Super League table, showing Wigan Warriors they no longer have what it takes.

Kicking from Kevin Sinfield, Rob Burrow and Lee Smith created plenty of opportunities for the Rhinos, 3 of their tries coming from "40-20's" being kicked downfield. Sinfield also did well with conversations, missing only 1 of 6, despite having an eye problem.

This may have been the first real game of rugby we've seen at the start of this season, which has started slowly. Leeds showed everyone why they're Back-to-back champions, and proved they have hope of becoming the first team to successfully win the title 3 years in a row.

Go Leeds :D

Leeds Rhinos 34 - Wigan Warriors 10

A sensational kicking game left Leeds Rhinos 2 points clear at the top of the Engage Super League table, showing Wigan Warriors they no longer have what it takes.

Kicking from Kevin Sinfield, Rob Burrow and Lee Smith created plenty of opportunities for the Rhinos, 3 of their tries coming from "40-20's" being kicked downfield. Sinfield also did well with conversations, missing only 1 of 6, despite having an eye problem.

This may have been the first real game of rugby we've seen at the start of this season, which has started slowly. Leeds showed everyone why they're Back-to-back champions, and proved they have hope of becoming the first team to successfully win the title 3 years in a row.

Go Leeds :D

I thought we were pretty bland and didnt offer much.

nah im completely lying we were awesome Wigan just couldnt keep up with us. Our kicking was amazing 2 40-20's in the opening half, Big test next week though Away at Saints

I read the opening sentence and thought what?! Haha, did you go to the game?

Saints away will be tough, especially with drawing them in the cup as well, we only have one game after this next, before it's the Challenge Cup. I'm tempted to call that draw a fix - 5 Super League ties, one being Leeds and Saints? Can you really see that happening? I think BBC just wanted something which would draw A LOT of viewers. It'll be a sell out, especially with Season Ticket Holders getting the game free ( I bet Leeds are pissed about that now). This round usually draws 5-6000 fans, so this will be something different.

We played amazing last night, which has really given me faith that we can get through this period - have you seen the fixtures? Wigan, Bradford, Warrington and Saints twice? That's a hell of a list, and some amazing competition. I wouldn't be sirprised if we slip up somewhere. As long as it's not against St Helens, and not in the cup, it doesn't really matter.

I read the opening sentence and thought what?! Haha, did you go to the game?

haha to be honest i didnt but did manage to catch it on sky sports.

Saints away will be tough, especially with drawing them in the cup as well, we only have one game after this next, before it's the Challenge Cup. I'm tempted to call that draw a fix - 5 Super League ties, one being Leeds and Saints? Can you really see that happening? I think BBC just wanted something which would draw A LOT of viewers. It'll be a sell out, especially with Season Ticket Holders getting the game free ( I bet Leeds are pissed about that now). This round usually draws 5-6000 fans, so this will be something different.

im not too fussed about the challenge cup, if we dont win it im not gonna be too bothered the main thing is the Grand final. Having said that its always fun beating Saints so i hope we can do it.

We played amazing last night, which has really given me faith that we can get through this period - have you seen the fixtures? Wigan, Bradford, Warrington and Saints twice? That's a hell of a list, and some amazing competition. I wouldn't be sirprised if we slip up somewhere. As long as it's not against St Helens, and not in the cup, it doesn't really matter.

We played brilliant, it was our first performance of the season that we dominated from start to finish bar Celtic but im not counting them cos there gonna be everybodys whipping boys this year. This periods gonna be tough but hopefully we can come out the other side still unbeaten. Our main problem will be Saints. If we are gonna lose it will probably be to Cas, they seem to have our number in recent years.

haha to be honest i didnt but did manage to catch it on sky sports.

im not too fussed about the challenge cup, if we dont win it im not gonna be too bothered the main thing is the Grand final. Having said that its always fun beating Saints so i hope we can do it.

But it's Wembley! The Challenge Cup excites me because I've never been to a Cup final. If we get there this year it will be amazing. And to be honest, if we beat St Helens in a couple of weeks, the trophy is as good as ours anyway. What other real competition do we have?

We played brilliant, it was our first performance of the season that we dominated from start to finish bar Celtic but im not counting them cos there gonna be everybodys whipping boys this year. This periods gonna be tough but hopefully we can come out the other side still unbeaten. Our main problem will be Saints. If we are gonna lose it will probably be to Cas, they seem to have our number in recent years.

Ew, Cas. I remember them beating us last year at their ground, that was horrible. That whole game I just wanted to get back on the coach and go home. They aren't even a good team, so I don't know what it is about them that trips us up - hopefully it won't happen this year.

But it's Wembley! The Challenge Cup excites me because I've never been to a Cup final. If we get there this year it will be amazing. And to be honest, if we beat St Helens in a couple of weeks, the trophy is as good as ours anyway. What other real competition do we have?

yeah i suppose your right, there wont be anybody to challenge us, If we get to the final will you be going to Wembley? Ive just never been bothered with domestic competitions its the same with Leeds United was never bothered about the FA cup.

Ew, Cas. I remember them beating us last year at their ground, that was horrible. That whole game I just wanted to get back on the coach and go home. They aren't even a good team, so I don't know what it is about them that trips us up - hopefully it won't happen this year.

They make me sick, the inbred bastards.
Yeah we didnt play well, its just a Bogey team and theyve had an alright start to the season, i doubt they will bothers us though.

yeah i suppose your right, there wont be anybody to challenge us, If we get to the final will you be going to Wembley? Ive just never been bothered with domestic competitions its the same with Leeds United was never bothered about the FA cup.

Yeah definitely. I can't even remember why I didn't go to the '05 one, but I remember watching it on TV and crying when Hull one, haha. I just lov every competition Leeds can win, ands without Saints in the way, and proving we can beat Wigan so easily last week, I really think this is our year. Although we shoudl watch out for Hull - also on an unbeaten streak at the moment.

They make me sick, the inbred bastards.
Yeah we didnt play well, its just a Bogey team and theyve had an alright start to the season, i doubt they will bothers us though.

We've had a great start to the season, and if last week was anything to go by we'll only get better, so hopefully their 'alright' start to the season will mean nothing. As long as Leeds stay focused we should have no problem.

Yeah definitely. I can't even remember why I didn't go to the '05 one, but I remember watching it on TV and crying when Hull one, haha. I just lov every competition Leeds can win, ands without Saints in the way, and proving we can beat Wigan so easily last week, I really think this is our year. Although we shoudl watch out for Hull - also on an unbeaten streak at the moment.

Yeah i remember that, i didnt cry though....ya know with me being male. Although having said that i did shed a tear when Leeds United got relegated.
Im all for winning every competition but like i say its not REALLY important compared to the Grand Final.I would like them to win the League though.

We've had a great start to the season, and if last week was anything togo by we'll only get better, so hopefully their 'alright' start to the season will mean nothing. As long as Leeds stay focused we should have no problem.

Yeah we have we keep saying this in every post we make tho lol. I agree we will get better but ya know theres always a hiccup, just depends if Cas are in the right place at the right time. On paper we shouldnt have a problem with anybody but thats not how things work

All the undefeated records in Super League last night were broken, with a win for St Helens leaving them joint top of the table, with Hull FC and the Leeds Rhinos. This is also subject to change as there are other teams playing today who could join them.

The Top 3 in the table are separated on points difference, with the Leeds Rhinos narrowly taking the #1 position. As always.

Castlefords defeat of Hull FC was a shock - defeating them by 1 point with just 3 minutes to go. However this worked out well for Leeds and Saints, ensuring no team had more points than they did.

Horrible Day for Rugby League. At 6.25 this evening it was announced that the Wakefield vs. Celtic game in Wales was to be postponed dut to unforseen circumstances. The RFL have just released a statement telling fans Wakefield youngster Leon Walker died in the curtain raiser academy game in the 63rd minute. Why exactly is currently unclear, however he was taken to hospital by air ambulance, and pronounced dead on arrival.

This is a huge shock, I played rugby for 10 years and never expected anything like this to happen. Walker was a great player with a big future ahead of him, and this is heartbreaking. My thoughts are with his family.

R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back