Roman Reigns: Should He Stay Heel Or Should He Go Face?

MMK

Getting Noticed By Management
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Roman Reigns is not only going to be the breakout star of The Shield, but also the breakout star of the entire WWE in 2014. Roman Reigns could very well be the next Rock, maybe not in terms of charisma, but at least in terms of his status as the future face of the company. But Rock was both heel and face. So which way should Roman go?

It seems everyone is of the mindset that The Shield need to breakup and Roman needs to break out on his own as a babyface. But before we let conventional wisdom set in, I'd like to examine the two paths Mr.Reigns could be about to set out on and then leave it up to the forums to decide which path he should take.

If you look at the current roster as if it were the NBA standings, it might look something like this:

Heel Conference
1)Randy Orton
2)Brock Lesnar
3)The Shield (Roman Reigns)
4)Bray Wyatt

Face Conference
1)John Cena
2)Batista
3)Daniel Bryan
4)CM Punk (assuming he comes back at some point)
5)Sheamus
6)Big E

Using these rankings, let's assume Roman splits from The Shield and switches to the good guy conference. Where does that leave him? Well, he would for sure be a higher priority over guys like Sheamus, Big E and probably even Bryan, but does anyone think he would actually be a higher priority than Batista or Cena? Here's a best case scenario for a face Roman Reigns' placement in the WWE's depth chart:

1)John Cena
2)Batista
3)Roman Reigns
4)Daniel Bryan
5)Sheamus
6)Big E

Perhaps if Batista's return is shorter than expected, Reigns could even be elevated to the #2 face on the roster, but only if the Bryan phenomenon subsides and if Punk doesn't come back. If Punk were to return Roman would slide even further down the good guy depth chart. But no matter what, there is NO WAY Roman Reigns could ever usurp John Cena for that coveted #1 face spot at any time in the near future. At best, Roman would play second fiddle to Cena on the good guy side of the ledger.

Now let's take a look at the alternate path for Roman Reigns. Let's say he remains a heel. What if The Shield doesn't split up? What if instead of splitting up like Legacy in 2010, The Shield patch things up like The Hart Foundation in 1997 with Roman playing the role of Bret Hart and convincing the guys to stick together instead of resorting to infighting?

Seeing as how John Cena has a seemingly permanent lock on the #1 good guy role, that means there is a limit to how far Roman can go as a face. But as a heel, the sky is the limit. Randy Orton WILL drop the title at some point and Brock Lesnar WILL take another lengthy leave of absence. When that happens, which could be very soon, there will be an opening for a new number 1 baddy in WWE. If Roman stays a heel, the heel depth chart could look something like this in the very near future:

1)Roman Reigns
2)Bray Wyatt
3)Randy Orton

If Roman turns face he will at best play second fiddle to Cena, but if he remains a heel he could be the #1 villian in WWE. I would have Roman Reigns usurp Randy Orton as the authorities go-to-guy. Much like The Rock was the go-to-guy for the corporation back in 1998, Roman could play that role for The Authority. Why turn Roman Reigns into an upper-midcard babyface when he can be a main event heel? Why be second best at something, when you can be number one at something else?

For me, I feel the smarter path is to keep him heel and give him one run as a heel WWE Champion before they ever think about turning him face. I know he's popular right now, but so was The Rock in 1998. But WWE was smart enough to know that turning Rock face back then would have been dooming him to live in Stone Cold's shadow. The same will probably happen to a face Reigns as he would have to play second fiddle to John Cena. Other than his fellow Shield members, I don't see too many heels for him to feud with in the near future were The Shield to split up. But as a heel Champion he can feud with Cena, Batista, Bryan, a returning Punk, or even The Undertaker.

I feel the sky is the limit for a heel Roman Reigns. But as a face there is a glass ceiling looming over him named John Cena. At some point I do feel Roman should turn face. But now is not that time. Not when WWE still shows no signs of slowing down the Cena express.

Agree or disagree?

I'm excited to see an initial face turn. He has been so damn impressive in his first year or so and fans are inevitably warming to him. It could, however, be a situation like Orton. He is so talented that he gets great reactions but at the end of the day; he is better as a heel. The WWE have placed him as THE guy within The Shield. Survivor Series and The Royal Rumble proved that; if not the confrontations with The Wyatt Family and Triple H.

I say turn him face after he breaks off from The Shield. Let's see if he can get over. Give him opponents like Bray, Orton, Kane and Triple H. If he can get over and become popular with the fans then maybe he can be a top guy. Yes, he is behind Cena, Bryan and probably Sheamus but given time he can place himself amongst them. He will almost certainly never be at John Cena's level but that doesn't mean he can't be a face at main-event status.

I'm not sure if he ever become top good guy: time will tell. He has had an impressive run as a heel and he is obviously untried being all happy and whatnot. It is, however, worth giving him a run as a face. His mic-skills are yet to be shown to the fullest but he has time on his side to impress and reach his potential.

I agree with the OP. He has bad ass heel written all over him.
I am not as high on him as most... he has the look and is improving his ring work but I think he has long ways to go to be a top heel or face....
I just feel it is easier to get over as a heel than face. So to not miss the boat on him, have him "pretend" to leave the shield and go face.... get a shot at the title (down the line not till after wrestlemania) and in say a triple threat title match have the shield help him win... screwing the babyface and saying it was all a work and he retakes the leader role of the Shield and they continue on dominating.

I dunno I just can't get into him...he's not offering anything to me that I havnnt seen before to be honest....a spear with shotty mic work....I'm surprised that WWE is going with him out of the other guys in the shield to be honest because from day one I always saw Ambrose and Rollins galaxy's above reigns when it comes to mic work and in ring ability....I guess this is a case of "this guys bigger and he's a family background lets give him the spot"

I'm sorrry but you said Big E. This doesn't have to do with anything, but Big E's not a top face and won't be. He can't talk, and he's not over.

I dunno I just can't get into him...he's not offering anything to me that I havnnt seen before to be honest....a spear with shotty mic work....I'm surprised that WWE is going with him out of the other guys in the shield to be honest because from day one I always saw Ambrose and Rollins galaxy's above reigns when it comes to mic work and in ring ability....I guess this is a case of "this guys bigger and he's a family background lets give him the spot"

I agree.... I have always been a Rollins guy since he was that other name... and Ambrose is very good... Reigns has a long way to go to be a top tier talent but if the machine wants you to be #1 then you will be...... He just needs to continue to work hard to prove it....

I think they almost have to turn him face because the fans love the guy. Plus the roster is kind of lacking in monsters who are babyface. Think of the possibilities: a feud with Orton, Lesnar, Wyatt, or even Triple H after he goes through Ambrose. With Punk gone, they need another guy for the fans to get behind. They can always turn him heel again later if they choose to put him in a program against guys like Taker, Cena, or Batista at next year's Mania.

He needs a better finisher too imo. The spear has been done by too many guys and it's lost its appeal. To me, it's becoming the new DDT. A move that a lot of guys have used and sooner or later, it'll just become another move in everyone's repertoire, not a finisher.

He needs a better finisher too imo. The spear has been done by too many guys and it's lost its appeal. To me, it's becoming the new DDT. A move that a lot of guys have used and sooner or later, it'll just become another move in everyone's repertoire, not a finisher.

I agree he needs "A" finisher..... I do not consider the spear a finisher for the same reason EVERYONE DOES IT.... I am not sure what would work for him but something fresh and creative would be nice..... The Superman Punch has been great because it is something different and not seen in wrestling....

I agree with the OP. He has bad ass heel written all over him.
I am not as high on him as most... he has the look and is improving his ring work but I think he has long ways to go to be a top heel or face....
I just feel it is easier to get over as a heel than face. So to not miss the boat on him, have him "pretend" to leave the shield and go face.... get a shot at the title (down the line not till after wrestlemania) and in say a triple threat title match have the shield help him win... screwing the babyface and saying it was all a work and he retakes the leader role of the Shield and they continue on dominating.

I agree. I think he should act like he's going to turn face (Superman Punch Trip) and roll with that, let the fans fall in love with him and give him a World title shot. Have Trip come out and screw the Champ and let Trip put him over on the mic (if thats possible...). I think he would get major heat and also have the option for a big face turn in the future.

I think they should follow the playbook they did with the Rock in late '98. He was a heel who was getting face pops and they started to book him as face for a month or so leading up to the Survivor Series tournament for the WWF Title.

McMahon helped him win SS, and he became the Corporate Champion, so he flushed the fan support down the toilet. He was a heel champion up until he lost to Austin at WM. He then made the full face turn shortly after that and he was a made man.

Would like to see something like this with Reigns. I think it's the smart play.

Perhaps if Batista's return is shorter than expected, Reigns could even be elevated to the #2 face on the roster, but only if the Bryan phenomenon subsides and if Punk doesn't come back. If Punk were to return Roman would slide even further down the good guy depth chart. But no matter what, there is NO WAY Roman Reigns could ever usurp John Cena for that coveted #1 face spot at any time in the near future. At best, Roman would play second fiddle to Cena on the good guy side of the ledger.

This is 'IF' Punk returns, Why do you think Punk will be a Face?? Punks best work has been while he was a heel. Not to mention Punk wants the younger generation to get pushed anyways. And wasnt it Punk who said "that Reigns is the future"

I think with Reigns you can go both ways and be very successful. He's already a heel and people are starting to cheer HEAVILY for him.

I think what will hurt Reigns the most will be his ring attire once he leaves the Shield. What he wears now makes him look awesome and more striking as a competitor. That will be the major key IMO. He has the talent and will go far. But if you have shitty attire then no one cares.

Oh and comparing the current WWE Roster to the NBA is the most ******ed thing I have ever read.

NBA SUCKS BIG FLOPPY DONKEY DICK!!!!!!

Roman Reigns is the breakout star indeed. No secret there,who doesn't enjoy Reigns. hell did anyone see how he manhandled Mark Henry this past Monday. HE whooped his ass. Either face or Heel,I think Roman's career and star is on the ultimate rise.

True i would like to see,Romans Mic skills as they haven't been utilized yet. Plus i think Roman's got hidden Charisma he hasn't shown us all hes got yet. If the HHH Vs Roman doesn't happen at WM,why not a Roman vs Ambrose match for the Us title at WM? As far as his finisher goes,Roman's Spear is effective. He really drives right through you,plus his Superman Punch is devastating!

1) Batista shouldn't be the #2 face. If they do keep him face, which he hasn't been much of, he should fall at #4 below Bryan and Reigns.

2) Reigns would take a big hit in popularity if they made him a heel coming out of the group. Keep him face for at least a year for his first big run, and then see what it's worth doing from there. Nothing wrong with Cena passing the torch to him in a few years.

Heel IMO. I want to see him going head to head with John Cena as a legitimate solo heel. Then let the face turn happen later on, no need to rush it, or the breaking up of the Shield yet either. Id prefer him to become the leader and have them help him become champion.

I don't think its necessary to point him one way or the other. Firstly, I wouldn't argue that there is too big a rush on splitting the shield. The internal story they have going is great. Slow build is nice.

Did anyone read Sally's recent thread? Shield v Wyatt is essentially a heel v heel match. It seems likely the folks will lean towards the shield as it is, but its not like they had to come out, get the cheap pops and save santino from something. Remeber vince talking recently about semi-abandoning the heel/face divide?

People like Reigns. Great look, better scream than Brock Lesnar, and a cool/effective moveset. He's the badass of the group. People like him because he comes out and kicks some ass. "Does Cleveland, Ohio believe in the Shield??" isn't going to work. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Keep him down the middle. Have him beat up whoever needs beating up. He got the strongest face reaction in the Rumble, and cheered for beating Henry, who Shield has assaulted 3-1 just the other day. No rush changing his character.

I don't believe that WWE is in such a position nowadays, that they should just promote One Single Top guy and build everything around them.

The Attitude era, had Austin as its main guy, but it was the closest it came to bucking the trend, mainly due to Rock also being massively over as well.

However, Hogan was clear no.1, so was Sammartino, and now in present day, Cena has been the clear no.1. These guys had their no.2s who were always changing.
Cena, for example, had Batista, Edge, Orton, Punk and now, Bryan.

In the Stone Cold Podcast interview with John Cena; Cena said that the WWE is now on the cusp of an All-Star line-up in their roster. He also basically said that he considers Daniel Bryan to be an equal of sorts(when he was explaining the polarising cheers and boos he gets).

Now, Roman Reigns is being spoken of as a possible face of the company. As a huge fan, I am very happy with his push, however, I think that from WM30 onwards, the onus is on WWE to build 3-5 guys towards being massively over and to take the company through the next 10-15 years.
Daniel Bryan is the first one who is close to completion. Roman Reigns and Bray Wyatt are the other two being groomed. Whilst if Cesaro can continue to gather momentum, he can also push and be the fourth.

Roman Reigns is getting huge cheers whilst being a heel, but it is clear a Face turn is on the horizon and might come as early as the Elimination Chamber match.
With the cheers obviously evident, a Face run is needed to see how Reigns does. All I hope is that even as a face, his Badass type persona is still allowed to be at the forefront. I'd say let him take over the Undertaker's role on the roster, not the gimmick itself, but as that Babyface who appears to save the day when all else has failed.
So far, Reigns has been booked strongly, so booking wise he is already on the right track for such a role, I just have this feeling that he might just be booked as a next SuperCena type and lose his appeal too quickly,tbh.

I say let Roman Reigns have his Face run, see how it goes, and if in the future, a storyline can be done, where he is needed as a Heel, then he can change again. I don't see him as a permanent Face type in any case,tbh.

I don't think its necessary to point him one way or the other. Firstly, I wouldn't argue that there is too big a rush on splitting the shield. The internal story they have going is great. Slow build is nice.

Did anyone read Sally's recent thread? Shield v Wyatt is essentially a heel v heel match. It seems likely the folks will lean towards the shield as it is, but its not like they had to come out, get the cheap pops and save santino from something. Remeber vince talking recently about semi-abandoning the heel/face divide?

People like Reigns. Great look, better scream than Brock Lesnar, and a cool/effective moveset. He's the badass of the group. People like him because he comes out and kicks some ass. "Does Cleveland, Ohio believe in the Shield??" isn't going to work. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Keep him down the middle. Have him beat up whoever needs beating up. He got the strongest face reaction in the Rumble, and cheered for beating Henry, who Shield has assaulted 3-1 just the other day. No rush changing his character.

Exactly.

That last paragraph is exactly how Roman Reigns should be built even as a Singles competitor. That is what I meant by doing the Taker role(sans the gimmick).

It would work wonders, since there are no Big Faces who fit that persona and are over with the fans(I'm looking at you Sheamus). I am sure when Reigns got into HHH's face on SmackDown a couple weeks ago, many wanted him to beat HHH's ass to a pulp and an HHH vs RR match at Wrestlemania when the rumours came out were enticing to many.

Every Hero in any genre is portrayed as an Underdog, some as bigger Underdogs than others. Batman was a guy who was smart and badass, and outwitted his rivals, so they brought the Joker and Bane. Superman had Kryptonite as his weakness, and they brought Lex as the Very Rich guy who could get his hands on that stuff.
In WWE, John Cena gets beat loads and then comes back to beat the odds. Daniel Bryan gets beat down regularly, but being the Ultimate Underdog in character and in size and looks, he has been the perfect Underdog. Austin was the character everyone of us who have worked somewhere dream of being. That type of badass,no-care guy who does what he wants when he wants. CM Punk's pipebomb made him a hero in fans' eyes because what he said resonated with the fans with regards to what goes on in the background.

All of those guys have been Underdogs, because that is essentially what people relate to at the end of the day. Just different ways of portrayal, and for a Roman Reigns to be a success at the end of the day, the right type of Underdog for him needs to be found, or he will end up falling short of what he has been building for the past year(especially if one looks at his record booking-wise in matches).

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Roman Reigns is not only going to be the breakout star of The Shield, but also the breakout star of the entire WWE in 2014. Roman Reigns could very well be the next Rock, maybe not in terms of charisma, but at least in terms of his status as the future face of the company. But Rock was both heel and face. So which way should Roman go?

Well first of all nobody will ever duplicate the success that austin and the rock accomplished. Lets not get too over the board. Second, how about focus on building roman reigns before fantasizing him being the face of the company. Thats what alot of ppl said about ryback, del rio, ziggler, sheamus, swagger etc ...

I see reigns need another good year of build up, in the ring and on the mic. He will need some solid individual feud with credible guys like rvd, hhh, y2j, cena to mould him into the next gem before getting a shot for the world title.

Btw lol its ironic to see the iwc criticize and piss the shit out of batista in every way possible (mic, in ring, physique)and yet heavily praises roman reign. Because these two are exactly alike during their respective break out in terms of booking, in ring style, character. Hypocrisy at its best.

I'd rather see Roman go full heel. His promos where he's intimidating are way better compared to his crowd pandering smiling promos where he verbally shit on Dean Ambrose as a champion. Of course, his reactions he gets right now leading to him breaking away from The Shield mean he has to be face for now, but they should turn him heel at least 6 months from now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back