Ring of Honor Final Battle 2011

The Bearded One

Love is not admissable evidence.
Here is the preview I wrote for another website for Friday's "Final Battle 2011." I'm not sure if posting a link to the website would be advertising, so I decided not to risk it.

Ring of Honor presents its biggest show of the year Friday Dec. 23 in the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City with “Final Battle 2011.” “Final Battle” has been home to some of the most memorable matches and moments in the company’s history, and this year’s show looks like it will be no different. The show is scheduled to feature matches that have been building for months, and in some cases years, and it all comes to a head at “Final Battle 2011.” Let’s take a closer look at each match.

Tommaso Ciampa with the Embassy vs Jimmy Rave

This match pits the current “Crown Jewel of the Embassy” in Ciampa against the former “Crown Jewel” in Rave. Rave was a member of Prince Nana’s Embassy in the mid-2000s and was one of the most hated wrestlers on the roster by the fans. He is making his return to Ring of Honor at “Final Battle 2011” to face the impressive Ciampa, who has been undefeated since making his debut for the company. Ciampa has the power and speed to be a successful wrestler, but his ruthlessness is what usually sets him apart from his peers. Rave knows what it’s like being Nana’s “Crown Jewel” and he can use that experience to give himself an advantage in this match. Rave will be Ciampa’s toughest opponent to date, but Ciampa will be focused like never before and his aggressiveness will be what ultimately makes the difference in this match.

Michael Elgin with Truth Martini vs TJ Perkins

Elgin has been on a roll of a lifetime in the second half of 2011. He won the “Survival of the Fittest” tournament in November to guarantee himself a future ROH World Title match and has proved time and time again that he is among the strongest wrestlers on the roster. The powerhouse of the House of Truth looks to continue his roll and continue to build momentum toward a future title match at “Final Battle 2011” in his match with Perkins. Perkins is among the best wrestlers in the world and if he is able to ground Elgin he will eliminate Elgin’s power advantage. Perkins is going to have to use his speed and agility to try to get Elgin to the ground and then use his wrestling to keep him there. A win would be huge for Perkins’ status in Ring of Honor and could put him in the thick of title contention. Elgin’s power may prove to be too much for Perkins to overcome, especially with Martini in Elgin’s corner. This match has the potential to be the sleeper match of the night and could possibly surprise a lot of people.

Tag Team Gauntlet Match

The All Night Express vs Future Shock vs The Bravados vs The Young Bucks vs Caprice Coleman and Cedric Alexander

The winners of the tag team gauntlet match will receive a future shot at the ROH World Tag Team Titles, so it’s safe to assume that all five teams are going to pull out all the stops to secure a victory. The key to this match is timing. The earlier a team in entered into the gauntlet, the more difficult it’s going to be for that to team to win. Even during the match, teams are going to have to pick their sports carefully because they do not want to risk tiring themselves out and making it harder for themselves down the stretch. This match is going to be everything Ring of Honor fans have come to expect out of these five teams: fast-paced, hard-hitting and high-flying action that is a lot of fun to watch. Fans should expect nonstop action from bell to bell from these teams and it’s going to be a fun match. The team that picks its spots the best will be the team that wins the match and a future title shot. The favorites in the match have to be the Young Bucks, who have defeated each of the other four teams at least once this year.

Roderick Strong Invitational Challenge

Roderick Strong with Truth Martini vs ???

When Strong found out he wasn’t going to receive a ROH World Title match at “Final Battle 2011,” it didn’t sit too well with him. He decided he was going to create the “Roderick Strong Invitational Challenge” to try to one-up Davey Richards and steal the show. Ever since ROH started airing on television in September, Strong has been obsessed with outdoing Richards, so setting up the invitational will give him the opportunity to steal the spotlight from Richards at the biggest show of the year. While Richards has been off training with Team Richards, Strong has been in Tampa, Fla. at Camp Strong preparing for his match at “Final Battle 2011” in some unique ways, to say the least. Strong has said he has looked at the wrestlers who entered the “Roderick Strong Invitational Challenge,” and none of them have been good enough for him to wrestle. Fans are not going to know who Strong is wrestling until he (or she) steps through the curtain of the Hammerstein Ballroom Friday. No matter who he ends up facing, Strong is a great wrestler and has to be considered the favorite to win in almost any match he participates in. Depending on the opponent, Strong could get his wish and steal the show at “Final Battle 2011” and continue to let his ego grow. This match has the most potential to either be a big hit or a massive flop, and it all depends on who Strong’s mystery opponent is going to be.

Grudge Match – No Disqualification

Steve Corino vs Kevin Steen

It all started two years ago at “Final Battle 2009” when Steen turned on his long-time tag partner El Generico. Steve Corino was revealed as the mastermind behind Steen’s madness as Steen and Corino wrecked havoc on El Generico throughout 2010. The bitter feud built up to “Final Battle 2010” when Generico defeated Steen, which banished Steen from the company. Corino realized what he had done and throughout 2011 he was on the road to recovery while trying to make up for his past evil doings. He eventually brought in Jimmy Jacobs, who also has a dark past, as his sponsor to help him recover. Steen continued to appear sporadically throughout the year while causing chaos at Ring of Honor events. This comes to a head at “Final Battle 2011” when Steen wrestles Corino in a no disqualification match. If Steen wins, he can return to Ring of Honor. If Corino wins, Steen must leave Ring of Honor forever. The odds appear to be stacked against Steen as Jacobs is the special referee and Jim Cornette will be in attendance at ringside.

This match is arguably the most anticipated match on the show. Steen has been the talk of the wrestling world since his feud against Generico and has been the star of Ring of Honor despite only making several appearances in 2011. This match is going to be as bloody and brutal as these two wrestlers can go, and they have both shown in the past they have no limits to their insanity. Although Corino has been trying to remake his image this year, he said the evil Corino will return one more time at “Final Battle 2011.” This match is going to be insane and will be a great installment in the Kevin Steen story. Despite his crazy ways, Steen is going to be the fan favorite in the Hammerstein Ballroom and he has shown the ability to not only withstand a lot of punishment, but also dish it out as well. Steen’s desire to return to Ring of Honor may be enough for him to put his life on the line to guarantee himself a victory at “Final Battle 2011.”

ROH World TV Title

ROH World TV Champion Jay Lethal defends vs El Generico vs “The Prodigy” Mike Bennett with Brutal Bob

When Jay Lethal captured the title from El Generico on the second episode of ROH Wrestling it took going into overtime after an initial time limit draw. Lethal could not have known then that time limit draws would plague his title reign. He wrestled Mike Bennett to a time limit draw in his first defense. Bennett thought he had the match won, but referee Todd Sinclair never called for the bell. Bennett has since been referring to himself as the champion, while his request for a different referee for the “Final Battle” match has been approved. Lethal once again wrestled to a time limit draw in his second defense, this time against Generico. During the match, Bennett went to ringside and distracted Lethal, which caused the time limit draw. Generico defeated Bennett at “Gateway of Honor” to keep him in the thick of title contention.

The World TV Title match should be a fun match, even if it’s not a great one. Lethal and Generico are great wrestlers, while Bennett can more than hold his own in the ring. Lethal and Bennett are going to be focused mostly on each other, but they better not forget about Generico. The champion is at a disadvantage in a match like this, but Lethal is good enough to rise above this. Bennett already has the confidence needed to become a champion, and at “Final Battle 2011” he gets one more chance to prove he has the ability to become a champion. He has been one of the stars of the new television show, so it only makes sense that Bennett is the next ROH World TV Champion.

ROH World Tag Team Title Match

Wrestling’s Greatest Tag Team defends vs Jay and Mark Briscoe

There is no other way to put it other than these two teams absolutely hate each other. The hatred stems from the Briscoes’ brutal attack on Haas and Benjamin after the tag title match at “Best in the World” in June. Haas and Benjamin have wanted to get their hands on the Briscoes ever since, while the Briscoes have wanted to get their hands on the titles. Cornette and Ring of Honor officials did not want to award the Briscoes with a title match no matter how badly the champions wanted to wrestle them. The Briscoes earned a title match by defeating the All Night Express on an episode of ROH Wrestling to earn a title match at “Final Battle 2011.” The feud recently got even more heated when the Briscoes attacked Benjamin with a chair that left him with a cracked rib.

This is going to be a great match. Although some fans seem to be growing tired of Haas and Benjamin, they are still two great wrestlers who can go with the best of them. They are going to have to keep their emotions in check during the match if they want to retain the titles against the Briscoes. If they go in looking for a fight and to get revenge, they are playing right into the Dem Boys hands. If Wrestling’s Greatest Tag Team go in and wrestle smart and use their superior grappling to defeat the Briscoes, then they will get the ultimate revenge of retaining the titles. The Briscoes will need to turn this wrestling match into a fight if they are going to win the match and become seven-time Ring of Honor World Tag Team Champions. Either way, this is going to be a fantastic match.

ROH World Title Match

ROH World Champion Davey Richards with Team Richards defends vs Eddie Edwards with Dan “The Beast” Severn

At “Final Battle 2011” both Richards and Edwards will finally get the answer to the question everyone wants to know: Who truly is the better wrestler between the two? With both man holding a victory over the over, with Richards most recently defeating Edwards at “Best in the World” in June, their third match is going to determine who the better wrestler is. Although their first two matches were fiercely competitive, they were able to remain friends throughout the lead up to the match and after the match. That is not the case for the “Final Battle” match, however. Richards and Edwards had a falling out after Edwards decided to turn to UFC Hall of Famer and former NWA World Champion Dan “The Beast” Severn to help him in his training. Richards had expressed interest in the past in training with Severn has proven himself to be valuable to Edwards’ training for the match as Edwards’ has added the Dragon Sleeper to his arsenal of moves. He has used the Dragon Sleeper numerous times since he began training with Severn to pick up victories and it may be exactly what he needed to defeat Richards. Richards has continued his training with Team Richards and appears to be at the top of his game. Both Team Richards and Severn will accompany the competitors in the title match to the ring, and Severn’s experience could make all the difference.

It is going to be almost impossible for Richards and Edwards to top their match from “Best in the World,” and many people are not expecting them to. Fans should expect another hard-hitting match between two of the best strikers in the business today, but the Dragon Sleeper could play a major factor in the match. Edwards is going to have to use everything he has learned from Severn if he is going to beat Richards, while Richards has to prepare himself for an entirely different wrestler than the one he prepared for in June. No matter who wins, it’s guaranteed the better man will come out on top.

“Final Battle 2011” takes place Dec. 23 at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City. The even airs live on gfl.tv for $14.99. The event has a bell time of 7:30 p.m. “Final Battle 2011” will be available for streaming after it airs if you are unable to watch it live. “Final Battle” has been home to some of the best moments in Ring of Honor history, and “Final Battle 2011” promises to add to that list.

Is anyone else excited for this show? I'll be the first to admit that ROH's TV show has been a disappointment, but I do believe they did a pretty good job of hyping "Final Battle." I'm not sure if I'm going to get to see the show live, but I am looking forward to watching it eventually. The match I'm most looking forward to is the Kevin Steen match. He has been the best thing going in Ring of Honor for two years now, despite only appearing on only a few shows this year without even wrestling a match.

Anyone else getting this show? It's less than $15, so if you're sick of the direction WWE or TNA is going, or if you just want something different, then it's not too much of a financial investment to see if you like the product.

Great preview. I'm really looking forward to this show. I predict Steen will win somehow. Possibly Jacobs turning on Corino? The Young Bucks should win the gauntlet match, and I really hope the Briscoes win the titles. Not too sure if I'll be able to watch it live, if not I'll be watching Christmas Eve for sure.

Everybody should order this show.

I think Jacobs turning on Corino is what a lot of people are expecting to happen, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it did. I hope if that is the route they go with, then Jacobs turns on Corino early in the match. I hate it when there is a special referee - or something similar - and they wait 10 minutes or so before turning on a wrestler. If they knew they were going to turn, then why not do it immediately and eliminate any chance of something going wrong? That's just a little pet peeve I have.

Anyway, I fully expect Steen to come out on top of the match, which will most likely be a result of a Jacobs turn. I think Jacobs has been extremely underutilized since he made his return and I think if he does align himself with Steen, then his stock will rise and will lead to bigger things for him in 2012.

I'm looking forward to Jimmy Rave's return to the ring, despite him looking utterly awful in the ROH Videowire this week.

Roderick Strong's Invitational Challenge definitely has me intrigued. I've heard names like Fit Finlay, Rocky Romero, Chris Hero, and of course Nigel McGuinness, all tossed around as predictions. We'll just have to wait and see though.

Steen/Corino is a match I'm looking forward too even though you can predict what is very likely to happen. Jimmy Jacobs will probably turn on Corino, if he wasn't going to, why would he be in there? Jacobs turning heel will be beneficial to him though as he hasn't been featured all that prominently thus far. I've been waiting for Steen to come back for a while now.

Richards/Edwards III has major potential as well and I'm hoping it will live up to the hype. I'm hoping it doesn't involve Team Richards or Dan Severn throwing in the towel or getting physically involved. I'm also hoping this is the last we see of Severn on ROH honestly.

I'm looking forward to Jimmy Rave's return to the ring, despite him looking utterly awful in the ROH Videowire this week.

Roderick Strong's Invitational Challenge definitely has me intrigued. I've heard names like Fit Finlay, Rocky Romero, Chris Hero, and of course Nigel McGuinness, all tossed around as predictions. We'll just have to wait and see though.

Steen/Corino is a match I'm looking forward too even though you can predict what is very likely to happen. Jimmy Jacobs will probably turn on Corino, if he wasn't going to, why would he be in there? Jacobs turning heel will be beneficial to him though as he hasn't been featured all that prominently thus far. I've been waiting for Steen to come back for a while now.

Richards/Edwards III has major potential as well and I'm hoping it will live up to the hype. I'm hoping it doesn't involve Team Richards or Dan Severn throwing in the towel or getting physically involved. I'm also hoping this is the last we see of Severn on ROH honestly.

I'm looking forward to Rave's return as well. I'm just happy that he is finally getting his life back on track after his drug addictions.

As for Strong's match, I'm not sure how I feel about it. It can either go really well or terribly depending on the opponent. I have a feeling that Strong is going to announce some kind of scrub as his opponent after the way he's been building wrestlers up who have entered as not being good enough. If that's the case, the match is going to bomb. I hope the mystery wrestler is someone like you listed. I think it would be someone like Rocky Romero since he's Davey Richards' tag partner in Japan. Romero and Strong would be a fantastic match and I hope that's the who accepts the challenge, although I would be the least bit opposed to any of the names you threw out.

I've been looking forward to Final Battle 2012 for quite some time now. Looking at the card, it shouldn't disappoint. Certainly worth $15.

With Chris Hero's deal with WWE recently being dropped, I wouldn't be surprised if he's Strong's mystery opponent. If so, that should make for a 5 star match.

I think this is the perfect event to bump a few more guys up to contend for the ROH World Title. It seems to only be a matter of time until Michael Elgin is there and if Steen sticks around for awhile now, he can certainly be in contention sooner than later as well. Richards, Edwards, and Strong, while they've put forth some great matches, can only go back and forth for so long.

This card really has some gems on it and any wrestling fan should definitely check it out.

I've been looking forward to Final Battle 2012 for quite some time now. Looking at the card, it shouldn't disappoint. Certainly worth $15.

With Chris Hero's deal with WWE recently being dropped, I wouldn't be surprised if he's Strong's mystery opponent. If so, that should make for a 5 star match.

I think this is the perfect event to bump a few more guys up to contend for the ROH World Title. It seems to only be a matter of time until Michael Elgin is there and if Steen sticks around for awhile now, he can certainly be in contention sooner than later as well. Richards, Edwards, and Strong, while they've put forth some great matches, can only go back and forth for so long.

This card really has some gems on it and any wrestling fan should definitely check it out.

I don't see Hero being the one to accept Strong's challenge since there is no way Ring of Honor could have known he wasn't going to the WWE a couple months ago when they booked the match. I would love to see a surprise appearance by him.

I agree about the main event scene; it is beyond stale. They have been building Elgin up with him winning the Survival of the Fittest tournament and Jay Lethal won a battle royal to earn a ROH World Title match. If Hero does make his return, then there is no doubt he will be thrust right into the midst of the main event scene. The same can be said about Steen, and I fully expect Steen to become the next ROH World Champion. A main event scene of Richards, Edwards, Strong, Elgin, Lethal, Hero and Steen looks really good to me.

A main event scene of Richards, Edwards, Strong, Elgin, Lethal, Hero and Steen looks really good to me.

I 150% agree with this statement.

As for my picks for the iPPV...

Ciampa v. Rave

I really like the idea behind the booking here. Whoever you matched Ciampa up with on this card he was going to go over. This particular matchup gives the inevitable victory by Ciampa a little added meaning due to the history between Rave and Nana.

Elgin v. Perkins

This match is really going to set the tone early on the card as Elgin has been consistently impressive lately and Perkins gives him a good test to further that momentum, not to mention that TJ is an incredibly gifted performer so the resulting match looks very promising on paper. It seems to be a no-brainer however that Elgin continues his recent run of success here.

Tag Gauntlet

This is a tough call to make. It seems that the winners here will be The Bucks or ANX. I think ROH is really interesting in continuing to push Matt and Nick, but I don't think there are quite ready for the top of ROH's tag division, so I could easily see ANX taking this as well being as they would look to be the favorites heading in. I also think that Future Shock will have the best "run" in the match before ultimately bowing out to one of the two teams I previously mentioned. I expect Future Shock to be one of the teams to start the match against either C&C or the Bravados and I think they will eventually go over both those teams before we see the Jacksons or ANX in the mix.

Strong Invitational

I sincerely hope that the mystery opponent is Nigel Mcguiness, as it seems that they have been foreshadowing that possibility on the TV show. No matter who the challenger I expect Strong to come out on top and remain firmly planted in the main event mix. The one possible matchup I could see Strong losing would be to a returning Chris Hero, as no Claudio likely means a main event run for him as well. If we are lucky Enough to see Roderick v. Nigel or Hero then this match is another possible show stealer(assuming that Nigel can go at atleast 85-90% of his former self).

Corino v. Steen

This is another matchup that seems to have an inevitable winner in Steen, however it is still quite intriguing as far as how that finish will go about happening. For some reason I don't see the Jacobs heel turn coming here. In fact I would say the more likely scenario, if a turn occurs, would be for Corino to swerve us all and ultimately be behind all of this as a way to get Steen back onto the roster. Perhaps the most likely outcome though is Steen winning in a fairly clean manner causing Jacobs to have no choice but to count the pinfall while Cornette is at ringside to have the whole scene shoved in his face.

TV-Tilte Three-Way

I think this is maybe the most dificult match on the card to pick. I doubt Generico is a serious player to leave NYC with the belt, but I could easily see Lethal or Bennet going over. This match could be very entertaining or a potential clusterfuck if the three men can't figure out how to all work off each other in correct balance. Ultimately I think it will be somewhere in between, and though my gut says Bennet has been built to take the title here, I still tend to side with Lethal walking away still champ.

Dem Boys v. WGTT

Finally... The slow build to this encounter has been executed well and I think most ROH fans are more than ready to see the confrontation come to a head. I expect nothing less than an A+ effort from both teams that will have Hammerstein rocking. I think the belts will stay with Haas and Benjamin at the end of the day, as I believe ROH is interested in pushing this first WGTT title run into something even longer and more special that fully legitimizes them as one of the standout tag combinations in the company's history. However if the Briscoes went over to obtain their seventh championship I doubt anyone would have too many complaints.

Edwards v. Richards III

What else can be said?? The last match was epic, and this one should be as well. The storyline- including the involvment of Severn and Eddie's tension with O'Reilly has been well written and executed and adds even more to this matchup than was probably even needed. Ultimately I do think that Davey will go over here, as I can't envision him being seperated from the strap, either directly or indirectly at this point. I don't see the loser of this match getting a rematch in the near future(defeats the point of a rubber match), and therefore I don't see Edwards coming out on top. I see the next major world title fued being between Richards- the man dubbed "best in the world" and Steen- the man dubbed "Mr. Wrestling"; to attempt to decide who really is the best wrestler in ROH. I also see O'Reilly somehow intervening in the contest(and perhaps being taken out by Severn) to set-up a program between Kyle and Eddie.

I'm looking forward to the card, and I think it has been booked and built exceptionally well. This should be a fine close to what has been a very good and also very important year to ROH.

1st IPPV I ordered and it went well.

Elgin and TJP was a good opener match.

Rave and Ciampa was all right, but Rave is like a shell of his former self.

TV title was a good match hoping for a Bennett win, I think it's time to move
him up.

Tag Team Gauntlet was long, on top of that I can't take Young Bucks or Bravados serious, sorry. Seeing the Bravados wrestle especially make me want to never watch ROH again, they are that bad.

Roderick and Hero was pretty good.

Steen and Corino was everything I wanted and more, awesome.

Although I liked the WGTT and Briscoes match, it wasn't what I expected, I would love to see a rematch.

Davey vs. Eddie was awesome, pure fight about to guys that seem to care about winning and it made the belt worth that much more, and I loved the end with Steen and it sets up for a match and feud I WILL watch and follow.
Worth the 14.95 fo sure!

Steen vs Corino was a pretty good match.

Roderick and Hero was a good match. Hero received a huge pop from the fans, but we all knew that it was going to be him. No surprise there.

Briscoes all match were receiving a beat down and the end won the titles. During the match Benjamin and Haas turned heel and Briscoes now are officially faces.

The final match was good but not even near as good, as the best in the world match between Edward vs Richards. Richards need to change his finisher, because it's one of the worst in wrestling right now.

The match between Lethal vs Generico vs Bennet was not a good one. Lethal is really boring. I see why TNA got rid of him. He has no charisma. The only thing that was good about that match is Maria. She looked really hot.

Truth Martini was pretty funny.

Still I'm happy with the show. I will definitely go again to see it live in NY. I'm pretty sure they will come back again here next year. They always gather the biggest crowd in New York.

Good show.

Which finisher? the DR Driver? the Kamura? the Ankle Lock? the Kick to the head? Davey can finish you with a variety of different holds; I don't see what you mean.

And the Briscoes DID get beat down for a good bit of the match, but it wasn't THAT one sided. WGTT HAD to get some measure of revenge for the attacks over the past few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back