Report: Hogan's Status

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
According to a report from the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Hulk Hogan has been undergone a number of medical exams performed by WWE doctors. As things stand right now, Hogan will NOT be wrestling in a match at WrestleMania XXX, though he will be making some sort of appearance. Furthermore, the report alleges that WWE won't be booking Hogan into any situations requiring him to get physical. It finishes out by mentioning that Hogan might be brought onto the February 24th episode of Raw with several other big names. That's the Raw following the Elimination Chamber and is also when the WWE Network officially launches.

If all of this info is accurate, WWE doesn't feel that Hogan is physically capable of working a match at WrestleMania. It's the right decision is he's as banged up as ha been reported over the past several years. I'm sure that some would enjoy the notion of Hogan being in a match regardless, but it wouldn't be a match worth watching. If they wanted to give some die hard Hogan fans a nostalgia treat in which he wrestled but didn't do much of anything, including taking bumps, book it on a B ppv or do it on Raw instead of the biggest show of the year.

when I went to WM26 in Phoenix, they did Hart vs McMahon. THis was the Bret Hart that couldn't take any bumps, pretty much no bumps, and was about limited as you could possibly be

Yet for what the "match" was worth, it was kinda cool to see him out there

Im sure they could probably have done something similar with Hogan, maybe in a tag capacity where he goes off on the heels early, then makes the tag to Cena, and then eventually the hot tag, punch punch, boot, legdrop

But if he can't pass the physicals, then its out the window. If he would have passed, im certain they would have tried something

I'm not sure why anybody thought he would wrestle. Even if he did, there is no way that the WWE would waste John Cena in a nostalgia tag match at what could be the biggest WM in history. Cena will be in the final match and Hogan will be nowhere near it. I hope Hogan doesn't wrestle because it could seriously hurt the quality of the show.

I remember Hogan saying a year ago or so that he could no longer drop the leg due to his hip replacement. He even said that he couldn't perform the big boot properly, being unable to lift his leg high enough.
If that is true, then it's pointless hin being in a match at all. As a manager though, he could still take some punches from a heel and get a huge pop by hulking up.

I've read this as well. I take it with a grain of salt. WON's accuracy has been far from tops as of late. In fact WON (all sites in fact) have gone back and forth months issue showing that they don't have a good source on this subject. Personally I fully expect to see HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN wrestle.

WWE has always focussed on money/marketing above anything else. This is the 30th anniversary of Hulkamania (by WWE's count). Vince will want to take full advantage of that. Having HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN do anything less than wrestle - even if it's just a tag - would be a waste. Having him just stand in a corner like an irrelevant B-list celebrity (remember Herb and Clara Peller) is a disgrace. HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN, Jimmy Hart, Brutus Beefcake, Brian Knobs, Bully Ray, AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels and many close friends have said many times that he is healthy enough and still has a few matches left in him. I'm more willing to trust them than WON.

I remember Hogan saying a year ago or so that he could no longer drop the leg due to his hip replacement.
Not because of the hip replacement. He had artificial hips since 2005 and continued to drop the leg until 2007. It was back issues. But even though he hasn't dropped the leg since 2007 he has still wrestled several matches all over the world since.
He even said that he couldn't perform the big boot properly, being unable to lift his leg high enough.
If that is true, then it's pointless hin being in a match at all. As a manager though, he could still take some punches from a heel and get a huge pop by hulking up.
It's been kind of hit or miss (literally lol) with the boot. In 2013 I saw him only be able to kick Bobby Roode in the gut one night, then the next night he nailed Bully Ray (who's considerably taller) square in the face. But in either case the fans always went wild for the boot. Only the haters bothered to point out anything so petty. The casual fans understand that he's older and they don't expect him to be the HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN of old. They are just appreciative of the chance to see the greatest of all time in action once more because they know that everytime just might be the last time.

At the end of the day anyone hoping for a match from Hogan was wildly unrealistic (or Roddy Piper lol) and not seeing the bigger picture.

They are going to have major issues getting everyone onto the card as is they really do have an embarrasment of riches talent wise for this show, wasting time on a Hogan match, where he can't do half the moves would mean someone deserving is bumped, that talent would probably end up leaving as a result come contract time or at best would have a severe morale issue going forward...

If it were me in charge, I say make him the commentator for the night... put him in there with King, JR and Cole and Vince... He can always have a mini-confrontation/jaw at someone from that position as it sounds like he won't even be doing the kind of run in he did with Hassan a few years back.

Alternatively they make him part of the "panel" for the pre-show but have said panel involved more on the show or even the Host role that worked for Rock a few years back...

I don't think a manager role for the night would help anyone - Cena doesn't need it, the only real possibility for me would be Kofi if they're going with a push for him... but even he doesn't really need Hogan to do that, just solid booking.

Hogan IS too old, it's not safe and they can achieve the same by having Warrior squash Ryback in 2 minutes...

If Hogan is unable to pass a physical, then the WWE will not allow him to wrestle, end of. In a way, it is a shame as a tag-team match featuring the biggest star in the history of the business would have been a nice bit of nostalgia at the 30th edition of the show Hogan helped build. But there are still many other ways he can be used.

Hogan could acompany someone to ringside, such as John Cena and quite easily be involved in the match by landing a few punches/Hulking Up on the opponent, with a posing routine with Cena post-match.

He could be the "Guest Host" for the event, as The Rock was a few years ago. This would guarantee the fans saw Hulk numerous times through the night, and if he doesn't appear on TV until the show, the pop when "Real American" starts playing to start Wrestlemania would be massive. He could appear on camera backstage several times during the show and come out once or twice also.

Hogan could be at the commentators desk, for 1 match or throughout the show. He could come out to knock down a heel with punches and then join Cole and King afterwards. He could appear in backstage segments, be on the pre-show panel....there are many different routes the company could go down.

If he can't wrestle, it isn't the end of the world as WWE has more than enough talent, both full and part-time to fill the card at Wrestlemania this year. With 'Taker probably going to wrestle, part-timers like Lesnar and HHH having matches, the return of Batista, possible return of Jericho plus guys like Cena, Punk, Orton, Bryan etc the card is looking stacked as it is!

I was just beginning to warm to the idea of Cena and Hogan teaming up. It has potential to be a great Wrestlemania moment so I suppose this is bad news. Of course there are different options but Hulk Hogan without hulking up just isn't right.

If Hogan is simply at ringside then Cena either needs a partner or the title to be on the line. Otherwise it will be rather uninspiring. For example, Cena vs Orton having a match without Hogan on the apron prime to Hulk-up and hit a legdrop. Not for me.

If he cannot physically hit the legdrop then options are limited. If I remember correctly he didn't hit a legdrop during his return at WM 21 but he is even more limited this time around. There is always the idea he could open the show with Vince McMahon, thanking the fans for the last 30 years and welcoming them to this years Mania. I'd quite like that to be honest.

I wonder if this effects their WM plans. Cena/Hogan teaming seemed a decent option given the amount of different options they have heading into Mania. My guess is that maybe they put the belt on Cena or he faces Taker. Cena/Bryan for the belt or Cena/Taker are pretty good back-up options.

Its the right decision as i think Hogans body is in bad shape. If he were to do a leg drop he would run a good risk of shattering his hip and maybe lower back. I doubt he can take any bumps at all at this point and prob doesn't have the speed (what little he had) and strength even 40% of what he used too. That being said he can still have a roll and cut a promo and even hulk up and scare a heel manager or even give a punch to said heel manager. Sadly in the end i think Hogans body is in such bad shape do to his own signature the leg drop. Its why he is unable to pass a physical and the nature boy probably could or at least could of at hogans age.

I don't think the reports of Hogan getting a physical are true. Not because I don't want them to be true but because Hulk Hogan wrestling is already out of the question.

I've seen that match he wrestled against Ric Flair 5 years ago on youtube and even then he couldn't get the big boot up even on flair who'd be like half a foot shorter than him. let alone even think about the leg drop with his back and hips.

Only an idiot would expect Hogan to wrestle. He's 60 years old and has been through the ringer in terms of injuries so he's old even for a 60 year old.
My boss at work is 60 and he can't even go bowling because it hurts his hand so much. people don't seem to realize what its like to actually be that old.

It would still be great to have him at Wrestlemania.

I'd love to see the legendary Hulk Hogan appear as an expert commentator for the main event and talk about what its like to wrestle on the biggest stage and talk us through all the highs and lows of the match. It would be a breath of fresh air to hear the best wrestler ever give his 2 cents on such a match.

That to me alone would make buying the ppv worth it.

Fair enough, Hogan has failed the medical for a full blown match but if stroke victim Bret Hart can 'wrestle' and Mae Young can be put through a table then I am sure Hogan could give the big boot and leg drop to some jabroni.

The Real Americans and Zeb Colter cut a promo. Hogans music plays. The crowd explodes. Hogan cuts a promo. Then beats up Swagger and Cesaro. Everyone goes home happy.

A 10 minute segment.

I don't care about the safety of wrestlers (Selfish, right! I know, get over it!) and I was looking forward to a Hogan match at Mania. Hogan/Cena vs. Piper/Orton sounded pretty damn fantastic to me. Book it, Hogan doesn't even need to leave his feet.

Hm I'm not surprised Hogan most likely won't get into any physicality, or at least not a full match, at WM 30.

What would be cool though, I think could be something like this: WM30 kicks off with the obligatory National Anthem or America The Beautiful, then some fireworks... crowd calms down a bit. Then BOOM - "Real American" hits the speakers, Hogan walks down to the ring to a huge pop, does a short promo about being there 30 years later after that big gamble back in 1984 etc etc; then he gets interrupted by Piper who also comes down, reminding Hogan that he's "forgetting something".

The two old schoolers shoot the sh*t a little with some back and forth promo, when they are interrupted by some heels, maybe someone like 3MB or the Real Americans who talk trash to the legends, then some fisticuffs ensues, Hogan & Piper (maybe aided by a younger face team like the Usos or maybe even some bigger face stars) clear the ring, a bit of posing takes place, and you have your feelgood moment to kick off WM30.

In any case, it's cool that Hogan will in some form or fashion be involved in WM30; say what you will about the guy outside the ring, and he's surely no angel from what we've heard over the years - but he was responsible for (or at least played a large part in) two of the biggest boom periods of wrestling, and if he still can be there, he should be there for WM30; considering how so many others of his era and generation have already passed on prematurely anyways.

I for one will be looking forward to that Hogan cameo.

If WWE really wants Hogan involved in a non-wrestling capacity, why not as a guest referee? He could even take a cheap shot, "Hulk up," and dispell of the bad guys. Seems like the most logical approach to me.

If HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN is not wrestling then there is no point in ordering the PPV or the WWE network for that matter. Aside from seeing him get into the ring one more time there is nothing that can't wait until it comes on YouTube. If it was free TV then absolutely and I'm sure I'll tune in to see him make an appearance on RAW, but to pay to see him do nothing? No thank you.

I don't care about the safety of wrestlers (Selfish, right! I know, get over it!) and I was looking forward to a Hogan match at Mania. Hogan/Cena vs. Piper/Orton sounded pretty damn fantastic to me. Book it, Hogan doesn't even need to leave his feet.

Would be kinda hard to do his finisher without leaving his feet. :lmao:

Anyway I would imagine the WWE absolutely drooling over the idea of Hogan in a match(any), so if this report is true and they're keeping him out of any sort of physicality their tests must've found something pretty bad. I personally have no problems with him not doing anything ring wise, although I'm sure we all got our own best idea on how to use Hogan that night. (yes that includes you all that want him to stay home. :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back