remembering The music:METALLICA

Any007

Occasional Pre-Show
metallica.jpg

Arguably,the greatest rock band in the history of music.

Metallica is an American heavy metal band from Los Angeles, California, formed in 1981.
The band was founded when James Hetfield responded to an advertisement that drummer Lars Ulrich had posted in a local newspaper. The current line-up features long-time lead guitarist Kirk Hammett (who joined the band in 1983) and bassist Robert Trujillo (a member since 2003) alongside Hetfield and Ulrich. Previous members of the band include former lead guitarist Dave Mustaine (who later went on to found the band Megadeth) and former bassists Ron McGovney, Cliff Burton and Jason Newsted. The band also had a long collaboration with producer Bob Rock, who produced all of the band's albums from 1990 to 2003 and served as a temporary bassist between the departure of Newsted and the hiring of Trujillo.

Metallica's early releases included fast tempos, instrumentals, and aggressive musicianship that placed the band as one of the founding "big four" of thrash metal alongside Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax.

The band earned a growing fan-base in the underground music community and critical acclaim, with its third album Master of Puppets (1986) described as one of the most influential and "heavy" thrash metal albums. Metallica achieved substantial commercial success with their eponymous fifth album (also known as The Black Album), which debuted at number one on the Billboard 200. With this release the band expanded its musical direction resulting in an album that appealed to a more mainstream audience.
In 2000, Metallica was among a number of artists who filed a lawsuit against Napster for sharing the band's copyright-protected material for free without any band member's consent.A settlement was reached, and Napster became a pay-to-use service. Despite reaching number one on the Billboard 200, the release of St. Anger alienated many fans with the exclusion of guitar solos and the "steel-sounding" snare drum. A film titled Some Kind of Monster documented the recording process of St. Anger and the tensions within the band during that time.
Metallica has released nine studio albums, three live albums, five extended plays, 24 music videos, and 45 singles. The band has won nine Grammy Awards, and has had five consecutive albums debut at number one on the Billboard 200,making Metallica the first band to do so; this record was later matched by the Dave Matthews Band.The band's 1991 album, Metallica, has sold over 15 million copies in the United States, and 22 million copies worldwide, which makes it the 25th-best-selling album in the country.In December 2009, it became the best-selling album of the SoundScan era, surpassing 1997's Come On Over by country artist Shania Twain.The band has sold an estimated 100 million records worldwide as of the release of their latest album, Death Magnetic. As of December 2009, Metallica is the fourth best-selling music artist since the SoundScan era began tracking sales on May 25, 1991, selling a total of 52,672,000 albums in the United States alone.Metallica is currently working on a new album, which is due for release sometime in 2011 or 2012.

They are one of my all time favourites.So what you think of the band?

Metallica is one of my all time favorite bands too , I love them and have the utmost respect for them as musicians

Primarily I love their really long power ballad-y songs like "Fade to black" "One" "Nothing else matters" "The day that never comes" etc , LOVE those like crazy and wish more bands would go for this type of thing

Going down the list of their full length albums with short opinions :

Kill Em All : I like it but not enough to own a copy tbh , but its sort of punk and unpolished sounding compared to all that follwed it

Ride the lightning : One of the absolute best albums OF ALL TIME. Overall probably Metallicas best album if you ask me.

Master of puppets : Love it

And justice for all : Love it

The Black album (Self titled) : Love it

Load : Load... of crap! (Don't own a copy of course)

Reload : Reload is a little bit better than load , but I still don't approve of it and don't own a copy

St. Anger : Ehh its ok but it had no guitar solos and Lars drums were made out of trash cans , pots , and pans on this record so (I don't own a copy of this one either)

Death Magnetic : A pretty good album , I do have and do like this one they finally returned to sanity on this album

I must of Heard most if not all their songs but Unfortunately i only own two of their Albums. The Black Album and S&M. S&M Is a True Diamond in the Rough. Its such a great Album.

Metallica are one of the greatest metal bands of all time. Their incredible success over the years means people rightly regard them as legends, and their list of classic tracks is astonishing.

Master Of Puppets, Fade To Black, Enter Sandman, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Nothing Else Matters for starters.

I am a big fan of 'Tallica, and own most of their albums. To me, they are far and away the best of the "Big 4" Thrash metal bands, as their musical style has actually evolved over time, and they have shown that they are capable of creating music in alot of different styles- from the very heavy (Battery) to the epic slower sounding tracks (Fade To Black) and the more commerical friendly metal (Enter Sandman). They have been smart enough to move with the times and increase their fanbase, rather than sticking with the niche thrash fanbase like Slayer.

In James Hetfield Metallica have one of the all time great metal vocalists, his voice is so recognisable and fits the music perfectly, they have released 3 of the all time greatest albums in their genre (MOP, RTL and The Black Album), and I would LOVE to see them in concert. Hopefully I will get the chance on their next tour.

My favourite Metallica tracks are:

1. I Disappear
2. Seek & Destroy
3. Turn The Page
4. For Whom The Bell Tolls
5. Master Of Puppets
6. Wherever I May Roam
7. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
8. Fade To Black
9. Sad But True
10. Jump In The Fire

Naitch, I've seen 'em already at Sonisphere and will be seeing them again soon at this year's Sonisphere.

Many of their tracks are recognisable by name alone and as soon as someone says that title, such as Master or Sandman, you instantly play that tune in your head. Black Album, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets etc, are all top-quality albums. Their most recent, Death Magnetic just proves they still have what some doubted.

Now, if you're a Guitarist, raise your hand. *Raises Hand*

Their songs are some of the best pieces to play on Guitar, whether it be in a Gig or just at home for fun. I use Master of Puppets as my Warm-up nowadays. Leper Messiah, For Whom The Bells Tolls & Enter Sandman are my other 3 favourites to play. However, many people complain about the St. Anger album, as Metallica were going through a near break-up and their music sounds a lot more raw a different. I actually LOVE playing those songs and listening to them. I think, because they are that different to other Metallica songs, they really draw me in.

Basically, these guys rule, nothing more, nothing less.

Can't say I'm too big of a fan, while Master of Puppets is one of my fave cd's ever, outside of the odd song here and there they don't have much that I will listen to, really outside of Master of Puppets.. i haven't even bothered to download their cd's, let alone buy one of them.

I`m a huge Metallica fan. They are easily one of my all time favs.

Those first 4 albums are simply perfect. Not a bad song on any of them. The Black Album is a great album with awesome songs as well. It may not be as heavy as the previous 4 but it still kicks ass.

Load and ReLoad are questionable. Metallica obviously changed their style with these two albums but still put out some quality material. Lots of good songs, but the albums as one are not so good.

St. Anger...well...sucked. No solos from the insanely talented Kirk Hammet, Lars snare drum sounding like a trash can, and just bad songs. This was a rocky time for the band and many were unsure if they could land on their feet.

Well, they did. Death Magnetic is a really good album and recaptures Metallica`s old sound. It has attitude, it`s thrashy, it`s raw, it`s awesome. It brought Metallica up from the depths of despair and put them back on their pedestal of greatness.

Kirk Hammet is an amazing guitarist who just kills it any time he plays. His solos are golden. James Hetfield has a great metal voice and is a damn good guitarist. Rob is an extremely talented bassist who continues Metallica`s run of awesome bassists after another awesome bass player in Jason Newstead and, of course, the late, great, Cliff Burton. Lars is a great drummer who I believe is kind of underrated. Truly a great band.

Some of my favorite tracks are:

Harvester Of Sorrow
Phantom Lord
Blackened
Dyers Eve
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
The Thing That Should Not Be
My Friend Of Misery
Trapped Under Ice
That Was Just Your Life
One
King Nothing
Ain`t My Bitch
The Unforgiven III

Metallica is one of my favorite bands. I own several of their cd's. The best of all is Ride the Lightning! Every track on it is heavy, catchy, and just all around great. All of their older releases are good, ending with the Black Album. Kill em All was good, Ride the Lightning was amazing, Master of Puppets was alright, And Justice for All was really good, Black Album was awesome. I don't care for Load, ReLoad, or St Anger. I wanted to like Death Magnetic, tried hard to, but just couldn't. Once again a Metallica release disappointed me. They stopped being good after the Black Album because it became about the money rather than about the metal. I'll never get sick of the older releases though.

I'm a recent fan, lol. xD

Haven't heard all their songs and neither do I own any of the Albums.

But man, it's one Hell of a Band. :)

My favourite tracks are 'Broken, Beat and Scarred' and 'Wherever I may Roam.'

Thanks to my Metallica obsessed Portugese Friend for pushing me to their music.

By far one of the best metal bands ever and in the 80's became THE best THRASH METAL BAND taking this righteous spot from Exodus, who actually i believe is were they signed Kirk Hamet from. Metallica is that band who can jam for 8 mins and keep you hooked on the whole entire song. Not like these 5 mins and under songs that are over before they pick. This right there states a lot.

As for me they are by far the best albums are Master of Puppets, And Justice For All, Ride the Lighting, and the rest are pretty good. St Anger is an exception for it was diaspointing. But I love Metallica and they are the best thrash band I even though I like there older stuff I still enjoy their newer stuff too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back