Raw 9-9-13: Randy Orton VS Goldust

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
It's been announced via WWE.com that Goldust will return to Raw this coming Monday in order to face WWE Champion Randy Orton in a one on one match.

Last night, an angle was started when Goldust, AKA Dustin Rhodes, sent out a Tweet saying, Hey @TripleH , when you're done with this injustice, pick up the phone and tell me what i can do to give @CodyRhodesWWE a #SecondChance @wwe"

Brad Maddox responded with a Tweet earlier this afternoon saying, "Since @DUSTIN_RHODES1 has asked how he can help his brother. I've confirmed w/ @TripleH to allow him to compete against @RandyOrton on #RAW... If @DUSTIN_RHODES1 wins and @CodyRhodesWWE apologizes, he gets his job back. So bring your paint cause it's Goldust vs Orton monday"

And, of course, Goldust accepted the challenge with a final Tweet: "#RhodesDynasty always perseveres! Lets go to war! #CodysSecondChance @wwe... Hey @wweuniverse , our voices were heard! This ones for you little brother! #RhodesDynasty #shatteredDreams #perseverance @wwe"

So if Goldust beats Orton this Monday, and Cody Rhodes "apologizes", then he'll get his job back. With this Monday's Raw being the go home Raw for Night of Champions, and the return of Monday Night Football, WWE obviously needs to give the babyfaces some momentum, especially Bryan. They've spent the past several weeks putting some major heat on the heels, so now's the time to for the pendulum to swing the other way. This is a good opportunity for Daniel Bryan to screw over Randy Orton while, simultaneously, gaining a definitive ally in helping Cody Rhodes in getting his job back.

It's on record that Tastcyles' favourite wrestler is Goldust. I don't know which thread it is but it definitely exists - you can find it if you look hard enough. He doesn't like Randy Orton much though. An actual conversation that took place between him and me (you'll have to guess the participants):

"Have you seen the Randy Orton versus Christian matches?"
"Why would I do that? That would mean I'd have to watch Randy Orton."

Truth be told, I quite like Goldust. How can you not like a man with a theme like that? Talented wrestler, sure - and one that's dragged a gimmick that should be a death sentence for much longer than he should have and to great effect - but it's that damn theme.

If this actually comes to fruition - and, while I'm doubtful, I hope it does - then I'm pretty excited.

I agree, the babyfaces have really taken a step back to let The Corporation establish some heat.They have succeded as I think Triple H is a freaking prick, really big one.

Given that its the "Go Home Show" and the Bryan mostly hasnt really had the upper hand or really had a change means that now is the time to have him do something.

And I seriously hope Goldust isnt coming back just to lose super clean and be done with it.

IN MY EYES, I think they should seriously consider doing that damn Cody vs Goldust feud I think that feud would be ....*puts on sunglasses* .....gold.

Imagine Goldust attacking Cody Rhodes after a while and he's reasoning being.....fuck It I dunno just something and have him say that, that's why he even tried to get you your job back so he could comeback aswell for some time...im freaking rambling right now so i'll stop.

I've never really cared much for Goldust personally, but I do love wrestling family angles that WWE tosses us now and then. This is a golden (ha) moment to relive a bit of that old school nostalgia, and finally see Triple H's Regime met with some kind of resistance. All bets are off at Night of Champions, but I feel in my gut no matter how over Daniel Bryan is at the moment, Randy Orton and "what's good for business" is going to play out longer, giving the heels longer control.

Having Orton get beat Monday Night will finally give fans that "hopeful" feeling when good guys take on the bad. That's what is needed right now. We can't continue watching Bryan get his ass kicked for another consecutive week.

With no tag title shot scheduled for NoC yet, I'm kinda curious if this could lead to Goldie/Cody vs. Rollins/Reigns for the belts. There is little doubt that the SHIELD will somehow get involved in this match at some point, & I could see Bryan, Cody, & Dolph running in to counter THE SHIELDS interference, possibly (hopefully) leading to a Goldust win, & Cody getting his job back & then demanding he & his bother get a tag title shot at NoC. Either way it'll be nice to see Goldust back in the WWE ring, & hopefully we get so see him shatter Orton's dreams.

I was loving this, just because I love Goldust. However, I'm not sure how much I like this right now. To me, Goldust is a career Upper-midcarder. In my opinion more towards the mid aspect of that. It just seems that if you were a part of the "Attitude Era" then you are instantly a main eventer in todays WWE. Yes I understand the storyline aspect of it, but if I remember correctly, didn't Cody disrespect Goldust somehow the last time that they were seen on TV together. I say Cody keeps attending as an audience member and continues to cause interference in the regimes matches. I just don't need to see Goldust face the champ

I have a differing view. I think Cody will "screw" Goldust over in his match with Orton, and will get his job back by aligning with HHH etc. He is much better as a heel, and what better way to switch him so quick then have him take out his own brother, whose characetr Goldust is one of the most loved gimmicks in recent WWE history. Thsi could lead to the Cody vs Goldust match we have been hearing about for months happening at Night of Champions.Bryan isnt going to be winning the WWE titie until the new year, or even Mania 30...so NOC is going to end in a dq or count out victory to Bryan then be slaughtered by the Dhield yet again. The slow build to Survivor Series will be Team Orton vs Team Bryan, so guys who start to help Bryan will be placed on his team against Orton, Rhodes and The Shield, in my opinion

I actually can see the above post being exactly how it plays out, I liked Cody's promo last week and his match with Orton was really good, but long term I have doubts he can stay over as a face even though he'd return to a great response. Also Dusty will be dragged into this yet, I'm sure Triple H has been dying for years to reenact some more classic Flair moments by beating the snot out of the Am'can Dweam!

This announcement raised my eyebrow, but ultimately I'm not nearly as excited about it as I feel I should be. Maybe that's just a me thing, but I doubt I'm alone in feeling this way. It should be a good match and serve the angle well enough, but in my opinion it holds more potential then it will likely realize.

While I'm fairly sure that a good portion of fans utilize Twitter and visit WWE.com, this match should have been built to on television. With such a powerful and detestable heel stable on the scene and John Cena on the shelf, this is a golden opportunity to build up faces like Daniel Bryan and Cody Rhodes, no doubt about it. The rub that this will ultimately give Daniel is practically a given. With Cody, though, it isn't as sure a thing. He has gotten some really good crowd reactions, and he cut a hell of a promo on his way out last Monday. With that acknowledgement however, comes the caveat that he isn't that over.

Certainly, getting Cody back on the show sooner rather than later will help his heat more than it will hinder it, but there's something to be said for making people wait, if only just a week or two. For one thing, this particular match suffers from a lack of build. With an extra show between the firing and this match, Goldust's comments can get aired and responded at length. The match could be publicly announced, and the live audience would no doubt pop big for that announcement. All that builds excitement for Goldust's return, for the bout itself, and for the prospect of Cody getting his job back. For another thing, the overall angle of Cody's firing runs the risk of being a blip rather than an explosion. If Goldust wins, then Cody was fired a whole whopping week. If Goldust loses, the babyfaces lose yet another battle. There are definitely tweaks on those outcomes that can add intrigue, but that's why I said "runs the risk". WWE could very well take what could have been a watershed moment for Cody and either trivialize it or just frustrate fans with it.

And finally there's the Monday Night Football factor that Jack-Hammer brought up. I don't care about Raw's ratings. I do care about being entertained by what I'm watching, live or otherwise. WWE's done a terrific job at that, but missteps are a lot less tolerable this time of year.

I would really like to see this lead into a feud between Cody and Goldie that results in a WM match with Dusty as the referee. The emotion and drama of a father and wrestling legend being torn between his two sons and having to count out one of his sons 1-2-3 could be a big hit. They can have a little emotional segment after the match. It would also be a good way to get Cody in a good match that doesn't have a championship involved. Plus it would be a good way to get some of the old school fans to give a shit about Cody. Plus the two worked well together in the Rumble.

I think this isn't gonna go the way people think... Remember how many times Goldust has been "fired", I can see him being the guy who turns heel to get his job back triggering the long awaited feud between the two.

Whether Dustin then wrestles as Goldust or has his own "corporate makeover" is another matter but he would fit a good "mid card jobber" role within the new Corporate setup, someone who can face a Ziggler/Cody/RVD and lose some matches without the Shield or Show having to.

Of course then down the line Trips can force Dusty to ref the match between his sons, it fits the "power trip" stuff he is on right now.

To me it's a waste to have Goldust either go over or Cody come back just yet... have Dustin turn, back on the payroll and most importantly around to help some of the younger talent just coming up from NXT.

And I seriously hope Goldust isnt coming back just to lose super clean and be done with it.

Yet, that seems to be a likely result, no? WWE has allowed a few aborted efforts to let Dustin Runnels back onto active duty, only to shut him down after a couple appearances. It hardly seems likely he's about to knock off Randy Orton at the apex of the predator's prowess.

Still, there's got to be something significant behind all this; why bother having Goldust appear at all if it's simply to serve as Orton-fodder? Plus, if that's all he's here to do, it still leaves the problem of how to get Cody his job back.

Despite the number of folks on this forum who claim to "know" everything WWE plans to do and are turned off by what they think of as lame storylines, I'd love to see this one fool everybody.......and will be disappointed if Orton simply crushes Goldust and allows the McMahon-Levesque Triumvirate to celebrate Randy-mania for another week.

C'mon, Creative......show us what you've got.

Yeah, I'm excited about this, but not as much as I could be.

Had I not read this on Prowrestling.Net, or seen this thread, I never would have known this match was going to happen. On paper, I like the match. Golddust, realistically, has no chance against Randy Orton. But with Daniel Bryan almost a guarantee to interfere in some way, and Edge being on the show, shenanigans are sure to ensue.

The stipulation that interests me is the "Cody Rhodes must apologize" as well. One would have to think that Rhodes will then be there yes? Even if he's there as part of the crowd, and provides a vocal distraction, it opens the door for other interference. I don't buy the idea of the spear coming into place, as I don't see Edge as healthy enough to take the chance to hit it on Orton. I think distractions will come from Rhodes and Bryan, which may be more then enough for Golddust to hit Shattered Dreams on Orton.

But who benefits the most from this aspect of the storyline? Bryan, as usual was the focal point of Raw as far as babyfaces go, but Cody Rhodes was a strong second to him, along with Big Show. He got the long match with Orton, held his own, and got strong reactions as the match wore on, especially on the near-falls he created. The crowd rallied behind him in an incredible way.

But one has to think that this could be a vehicle simply for Daniel Bryan to gain some measure of revenge on HHH and Randy Orton for the beatdowns he's received on seven straight shows. With this being the "go home" Raw for the PPV, WWE has to give viewers some reason to believe that Daniel Bryan can overcome Randy Orton at Night of Champions, else why order the PPV? When you've built essentially around one angle, you have to give the viewers the belief that the babyface can overcome the evil heels.

If they don't do it here, no one is going to buy in that Bryan's not going to simply get screwed the way he has over and over the last month. Him interfering, costing Orton the match and getting Rhodes rehired, and possibly, a true ally, is the only real shot Bryan has.

I want to buy into this, I really do. They've done such an amazing job of establishing HHH and Orton as heels, now they have to establish Bryan as some sort of threat.

I think this isn't gonna go the way people think... Remember how many times Goldust has been "fired", I can see him being the guy who turns heel to get his job back triggering the long awaited feud between the two.

1. If Golddust loses, Rhodes is still fired. How do they feud with Cody out of a job?

2. It makes little sense for a guy seemingly coming in to do a 'one-off' to turn heel. Golddust isn't coming back to be a full-time wrestler, one would think, so why turn him?

3. It's the go-home show for the PPV. Golddust turning heel would overshadow the larger angle between Bryan and the Corporation, which is the last thing they need to do heading into the PPV.

4. They need to give Bryan fans some hope he can win at the PPV. Wouldn't he getting involved and gaining a measure of revenge on Orton do that?

Cody is getting married, so don't look for him to be a part of this yet. I see this as more of a "family bashing" by the Corporation 2. It's going to be a one and done, the same as Edge. Don't look for them to be relevant on the go home episode of Raw.

If Cody IS there, look for him to interfere to help Dustin get a win. But a win does nothing in the grand scheme. To be honest, Golddust and Cody are convoluting this angle. Put them in the mid-card, fine. But what needs to happen is if they are building their SS teams, to get Bryan and the Usos and Cody and Dolph together. Dustin provides nothing here.

I can see something like this happening:

Goldie wins via distraction from Bryan or through some other dubious way, Rhodes then whenever rhodes makes his return, he thanks his br other for helping him but he refuses to apologize as he's done nothing wrong. This will lead the corporation to beat down goldie until cody agrees to apologize, when he finally does apologize, goldie turns on him as he feels that once again, just like their whole lives, Cody doesn't appreciate what Goldie has done for them.

Goldie can join the corporation and become to the corporation what Tazz was to the alliance, he'll get beaten down and ridiculed whilst still blaming cody for it, cody will be trying to save him and convince him that the corporation is no good, but to no avail... this will eventually lead to a match between them with some sort of stipulation

Yeah, I'm excited about this, but not as much as I could be.

Had I not read this on Prowrestling.Net, or seen this thread, I never would have known this match was going to happen. On paper, I like the match. Golddust, realistically, has no chance against Randy Orton. But with Daniel Bryan almost a guarantee to interfere in some way, and Edge being on the show, shenanigans are sure to ensue.

The stipulation that interests me is the "Cody Rhodes must apologize" as well. One would have to think that Rhodes will then be there yes? Even if he's there as part of the crowd, and provides a vocal distraction, it opens the door for other interference. I don't buy the idea of the spear coming into place, as I don't see Edge as healthy enough to take the chance to hit it on Orton. I think distractions will come from Rhodes and Bryan, which may be more then enough for Golddust to hit Shattered Dreams on Orton.

But who benefits the most from this aspect of the storyline? Bryan, as usual was the focal point of Raw as far as babyfaces go, but Cody Rhodes was a strong second to him, along with Big Show. He got the long match with Orton, held his own, and got strong reactions as the match wore on, especially on the near-falls he created. The crowd rallied behind him in an incredible way.

But one has to think that this could be a vehicle simply for Daniel Bryan to gain some measure of revenge on HHH and Randy Orton for the beatdowns he's received on seven straight shows. With this being the "go home" Raw for the PPV, WWE has to give viewers some reason to believe that Daniel Bryan can overcome Randy Orton at Night of Champions, else why order the PPV? When you've built essentially around one angle, you have to give the viewers the belief that the babyface can overcome the evil heels.

If they don't do it here, no one is going to buy in that Bryan's not going to simply get screwed the way he has over and over the last month. Him interfering, costing Orton the match and getting Rhodes rehired, and possibly, a true ally, is the only real shot Bryan has.

I want to buy into this, I really do. They've done such an amazing job of establishing HHH and Orton as heels, now they have to establish Bryan as some sort of threat.

1. If Golddust loses, Rhodes is still fired. How do they feud with Cody out of a job?

2. It makes little sense for a guy seemingly coming in to do a 'one-off' to turn heel. Golddust isn't coming back to be a full-time wrestler, one would think, so why turn him?

3. It's the go-home show for the PPV. Golddust turning heel would overshadow the larger angle between Bryan and the Corporation, which is the last thing they need to do heading into the PPV.

4. They need to give Bryan fans some hope he can win at the PPV. Wouldn't he getting involved and gaining a measure of revenge on Orton do that?

Why not bring Dustin back more permanently? If he's gonna fight Cody (which is the only thing that actually makes sense) then he's gonna at least be on an RVD style 90 day deal. He's someone who can contribute at the Performance Centre rather than be on the road all the time but can be wheeled out to put some guys over as well.

How would it "overshadow" the angle to have Bryan and co save Cody from his brother, Show and Orton? To me it's a great "sting in the tale" for the go home. If anything it adds fuel to the "sell out or die" mentality that Triple H is going with, Dustin has kids/needs a job same as Show - and it would just stack the odds a little more in Orton's favour.

i love goldust my big fear is that they just use him to get more heat on randy and hhh if they destroy goldust i will be upset. i might just watch his entrance and turn off.

It's an interesting part of this storyline. Cody's life is wrestling and it was taken away from him by a man who continue to abuse his power. Here comes big brother to save him. A well known and established persona with the WWE. I don't think he will win. I think he will give Orton the fight of his life but come up short. Fans will continue to clamor for Cody to return and help Daniel Bryan which will lead, I believe, to Dusty Rhodes giving up his position as NXT Commissioner in order for his son to get his life back.

I am psyched to see this and the continued rise of Cody Rhodes.

I can see the NXT stuff playing in - Dustin taking his dad's job etc but those saying he doesn't belong on the roster need to look again at Goldust in his last run. Much like Regal before him he had hit a sweet spot of ability, look, experience and knowing he was one of the best workers on the card.

The Goldust of 2010/11 was top 3 on the show in the ring and it was getting over. People even then wanted to see Cody v Dustin but as a way to push Dustin rather than Cody. The E resisted cos they wanted to use it the other way and now they can do it in an angle that influences the whole WWE and matters rather than a throwaway Mania match.

Dustin has a hell of lot to offer the performance centre. he is a guy who hasn't had massive substance issues, can help the kids come to terms with gimmicks and how it might not be what you imagine for yourself but it's yours so own it and how to tow the political line. He'd be a strong ally to kids like Bo Dallas, Richie Steamboat and Jesse White, teaching them how to be 2nd Gen but not in the shadow of your dad.

Dustin as part of the corporation works, Dustin as part of NXT/performance centre works...if this is just a one off throwaway then they really are stupid.

Why not bring Dustin back more permanently? If he's gonna fight Cody (which is the only thing that actually makes sense) then he's gonna at least be on an RVD style 90 day deal.
Because if they're serious about moving Cody up the ladder, using a wrestler that's been inactive largely for years, even one that's his brother, isn't the way to do it. And RVD is far more over and relevant than Golddust ever was or is, so that's a lousy comparison.

He's someone who can contribute at the Performance Centre rather than be on the road all the time but can be wheeled out to put some guys over as well.
He'ld be fine working with wrestlers at a performance center, I agree. But Golddust has never been that relevant or big of a star that using him to "put guys over" would make much of a difference for their careers.

How would it "overshadow" the angle to have Bryan and co save Cody from his brother, Show and Orton?
Bryan and....co.? It's just Bryan at this point, so he'ld be getting his ass handed to him, again. Do I really need to explain why having Bryan beat down again, thus facing insurmountable odds at Night of Champions, is bad for buys?

This, like his Rumble appearance, should be a one-off on Raw. And a heel turn from Golddust does overshadow the angle.

Bryan isn't going to be able to save Rhodes on his own. And yes, let's water down the HHH/McMahon heel group by adding members, thus turning them into the NWO eventually. :rolleyes:

To me it's a great "sting in the tale" for the go home. If anything it adds fuel to the "sell out or die" mentality that Triple H is going with, Dustin has kids/needs a job same as Show - and it would just stack the odds a little more in Orton's favour.

Orton needs the adds stacked more in his favor? Again, when asking viewers to buy Night of Champions, you're asking them to invest in the idea that the babyface who's been getting destroyed has some chance of overcoming the heel(s). Stacking the odds further in Orton's favor just says even moreso that Bryan has no chance.

They don't need to fuel the "sell out or die" angle by bringing in someone else. If they do want to do so, it would behoove them to use one of their current wrestlers.

But they shouldn't do it in the first place. Orton doesn't need to have the odds stacked in his favor, nor does his "stable" need someone else, especially a 44 year old former mid-carder.

Orton vs Cody match on Raw drew really well, particularly in the very important 18-49 demo. So its not surprising that they quickly brought back Goldust to continue the angle.

I thought Goldust and Orton put on a really entertaining match. Also, Stephanie was great with Goldust after the match.

The Rhodes family/Orton/Mcmahon angle so far has been good. This could be the storyline that gets Cody to the next level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back