• Pac Man

• Saints Row 2

• SSBB

• Twisted Metal III

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
Broken Sword (PS)
Doom
Gran Turismo 5 - PS3
Mass Effect 2
Pac Man
Saints Row 2 (PS3)
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Twisted Metal III (PS)

Broken Sword did not make it onto my list of fifty games. Rest assured that I have now slapped myself in the face multiple times for this error.

Broken Sword is a game that can claim something very few other games can claim. It is far and away the best entry in the genre ever produced. When it comes to point and click adventures, there is simply none finer. Broken Sword is not only the most played P&C adventure of all time, it is also the best. Sure; Diskworld Noir and Monkey Island both have a following based chiefly on their sense of humor, but when judged from a gameplay, story or graphical perspective they simply cannot compete with the Shadow of the Templars. There is a reason that the game is constantly reproduced for more modern consoles. This gem from 1996 has been repackaged for the PC, Mac, DS and Wii, and has required very little updating. Off the top of my head I struggle to think of a game that has aged more gracefully than the original Broken Sword.

Broken Sword is one of those games who's production values have stood the test of time. The cell shaded characters moving over tirelessly hand drawn backgrounds hold up as well today as they ever did. Similarly the voice acting (Broken Sword was one of the first games to make use of a full vocal cast) was of tremendous quality for a game of it's time.

As for the story, let my preface by saying this. Broken Sword is a conspiracy murder mystery. In the modern age roughly 75% of all entries into this genre make use of the Knights of the Temple. Broken Sword was doing it before it was cool.

Broken Sword is one of the few games I have ever played that can come close to being able to stand up on their story alone. The cast of characters are all deep, well rounded and likable. The narrative is varied and intriguing and the dialog is an example of some of the best writing that I remember seeing in a video game. Adventure games of the modern era tend to be so horribly written that I end up turning away in disgust (I'm looking at you Heavy Rain), in contrast Broken Sword has generated multiple playthorugh from me, just so that I can explore every corner of the game's story.

As for legacy, aside from standing the test of time in a way no other game on this list has done, Broken Sword single-handedly saved a gaming genre. Before Shadow of the Templars the era of point and click games had come to a complete halt. Lucas Arts (the main producers) had given up in favor of producing endless Starwars clones, Monkey Island has been abandoned and it looked like P&C adventures would never rise again.

It is directly because of the critical and commercial success of Broken Sword that classic games like The Curse of Monkey Island (oft considered the best in the series), Syberia and Culpa Inerta were ever made. What Final Fantasy VII did for the JRPG genre, Broken Sword did for adventure game. Are there any other games on this list that can lay claim to something like that? Well fair cop, there's Doom, but Doom's legacy is phenomenally overrated.

Vote Broken Sword.

Yep I'm taking Broken Sword here. A game that actually dares to challenge you and not be easy, all the while being pretty damn funny, well written and beautifully drawn. Sadly they simply don't make games like this anymore.

Gotta go with Pac-Man. The quintessential coin-eater, a time-waster second only to Tetris. I'm surprised it isn't in the top 100 to be honest. It's fun, it's historic, it's famous, and it has been ported to pretty much every system ever. On legacy alone it should automatically be in.

I have to go with Super Smash Bros Brawl here. It is the latest and best entry to one of the most insane multiplayer game series. Brawl was part of why I wanted a Wii in the first place. Doom was great for its time, and Pac Man has stood the test of time quite well. However they lose against Brawl for me because of how it can provide such a good time of epic proportions whether you play with up to 3 friends or by yourself. With all of the rule changing and randomizing you can do, it never gets old and I expect it to make it far in the tournament.

What the fuck Lee?! I could sit around thinking up reasons just to decide between DOOM and Saints 2, AND you go ahead and throw Brawl AND Twisted 3 on the list? All four of these are marvelous multi-player titles, both in co-op and competitive, three of which are still played today (There's always someone playing DOOM on XBL, myself included). I'm actually going to have to think about this one, although if all can get in with two points I'll just make sure they get through and giving reasons for the one I end up voting on.

I'm leaning towards Metal though; one of the funniest moments I have in gaming was when a friend and I were in the last stage with barely any life left, and the big bad boss comes out, and I went up with Auger, used his special, which launched him down the one hole in the stage and plummeted him to the ground below. Accidental one hit kills are always awesome.

Also, you're now imagining Heyman dressed as Santa:

I voted for Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

As I'm quickly learing as I vote for games in this pre-tournament, I am a huge Nintendo fan-boy and always have been. I care about the characters (whether the protagonist, anatagonist, or just some random obscure character you only ever see once) more than any other collection of characters anywhere. With that said, Super Smash bros. Brawl is the ultimate collection of all things Nintendo. The stages you get to fight on, the playable characters you get to use, and the seemingly endless surprise of trophies , it doesn't get much better then Brawl.

What seperates Brawl from Melee is the Sub-Space Emissary. It might not be the greatest campaign to ever be created, but what sells it for me is the co-op. Teaming up with someone else to fight through an army of enemies and Nintendo alumni while using the classic fighting mechanics from the Super Smash Bros. series is one of my fondest memories of the past several years (don't look at me like that).

There were also a slew of other new features introduced in this game that I will delve into in greater detail if we see this game make it to the main tournament.

Vote Brawl.

While it wasn't the original First Person Shooter, Doom is the game responsible for the games that flood today's video game market.

Doom brought high adrenaline action, and created an intense atmosphere with its great graphics and fantastic sound.

Doom also allowed players to play multiplayer deathmatches.

While Wolfenstein was the first laid the road for first person shooters, Doom paved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back