Ptd's All Punk Thread

Ptd

HxC
Scratch off my weekly punk band thread, I am starting this all punk thread. Anything punk related can be discussed here. So, I'm hoping all the punks on Wrestlezone get in here and start talking. Every now and then I'll be posting bands in here to get some people into some really good punk music that I find.

To start discussion I'll ask some questions pertaining to punk music/punks.

What do you think the character traits of a true punk are?

What do you think was the best decade for punk music?

Do you think it's more important for a punk band to look and act punk or actually sound good playing the music?

Do you feel that punk is dieing or just not very strong at the moment?

To start discussion I'll ask some questions pertaining to punk music/punks.

What do you think the character traits of a true punk are?

See, this right here is what keeps pissing me off about you and many other people getting into punk. You think there's some sort of defining traits that label you as a "punk". That's exactly the opposite of what punk is about, labels. There are no fucking character traits of a "true" punk and calling yourself a "true" punk is naive, elitist, and fucking pathetic.

Punk rock is about freedom and rebellion. It's not a fucking fashion statement or a clique you can join, and thinking that it is shows your lack of understanding of the very nature of punk rock itself.

You don't have to play fast music to be a punk. Lenny Bruce was a fucking punk, Jim Morrison was a punk.

What do you think was the best decade for punk music?

Depends on what subgenre of punk you prefer. For hardcore fans it's the early 1980s through and through, so I tend to go with the 80s as a big hardcore fan. That's not to say the 90s wasn't great as well, a very underrated time for hardcore music with the emergence of bands like Aus Rotten, Nation of Ulysses, Refused, Toxic Narcotic and Drive Like Jehu. Also the emergence of post-hardcore with amazing bands like Fugazi and Jawbox.

Do you think it's more important for a punk band to look and act punk or actually sound good playing the music?

Do you feel that punk is dieing or just not very strong at the moment?

Every few weeks somebody tries to tell me that punk is dead. I fucking hate people who tell me punk is dead or that no good music is made anymore. Get off your lazy asses and go make some music then if you hate the modern scene so much, like any other music punk has evolved into a slew of different sects and subgenres, but hardcore is still going strong as ever today all over the globe. Punk is just as big now as it was fifteen years ago man, you go to any big city and you'll find a decent scene.

I don't mean to offend you man, but you need to forget about all this "who's punk" and "what makes me a punk" bullshit. It's a frame of mind, not a god damn fashion statement.

I guess I kind of phrased it wrong. I didn't really mean to describe specific character traits to have in order to be a punk. I meant more of, what is punk to you? Or what does being a punk mean to you? I know punks are against labels, but most punks do acknowledge the fact that they are punks. Sure, they don't go around saying "Hey everybody, look I'm punk!" But, if someone were to ask them if they were a punk, they would say yes. "Punk", whether it be a mind frame or not, it still a label because you are being categorized into something, although most don't look at it that way.

Also, I was not implying at all that punk is dead. I hate it just as much as you when people try to say that punk is dead, no genre of music will ever be "dead", as there will always be someone playing it somewhere. The thing that I hate now-a-days though is how some bands are mis categorized as punk. Take for example Sum 41 or Simple Plan, some kids less educated with what a punk band is think of bands like those when they think of punk.

I know I'm going off topic but, what do you peeps think about bands like GREEN DAY or BLINK 182?

I for one like Blink 182's first three cd's and a few songs affter.
I like alot of people never heard Green Day until Dookie came out. I loved them.
Why do people say both bands sold out just cus their style has grown as they have?
They still play the music they like so how did they sell out?, and why don't people say the same about The Offspring? ((I never heard it if they do.))

NOFX tried for years to get on Mtv but got rejected until they said fuck Mtv. So if they had a video make it on would they be sell outs?

The Ramones songs are on fuckin commercials........(Simmer down.)

Anyway I hate the term " sell out", and look forward to lots of good punk talk.

I know I'm going off topic but, what do you peeps think about bands like GREEN DAY or BLINK 182?

I for one like Blink 182's first three cd's and a few songs affter.
I like alot of people never heard Green Day until Dookie came out. I loved them.
Why do people say both bands sold out just cus their style has grown as they have?
They still play the music they like so how did they sell out?, and why don't people say the same about The Offspring? ((I never heard it if they do.))

NOFX tried for years to get on Mtv but got rejected until they said fuck Mtv. So if they had a video make it on would they be sell outs?

The Ramones songs are on fuckin commercials........(Simmer down.)

Anyway I hate the term " sell out", and look forward to lots of good punk talk.

Opinion on Green Day: I feel that all of their music prior to American Idiot was great. Basket Case and When I Come Around are two songs that I really enjoy. Once they released American Idiot I really started to lose interest. They started to lose the punk sound they once had to them, while the lyrics to some of the the songs on the album can be interpreted as pretty punk, the sound just wasnt there for me. Not saying it was bad music, just not the Green Day I prefer. I have yet to really listen to their newest album except one song, and it sounded pretty similar to what they did with American Idiot

Opinion on Blink-182: I absolutely loved this band when I was younger, really enjoyable stuff when I was younger. I remember constantly blasting out such songs like Dammit, Carousel, and Rollercoaster. As I got older though, I did start to lose a lot of interest in them. Their later stuff isnt as good, but still listenable. They definitely have some punk in them, but a whole lot more punk.

I cannot stand Green Day anymore. They're pretty much dead to me, and have been since they released Warning. Everything since 2000 from them has been utter modern-radio-rock shit IMO. American Idiot and they're new album as well are both about as listenable as a My Chemical Romance album to me at this point. Just utter trash. Which is a shame because they were my favorite band when I was a young kid, I grew up on Dookie and it's still one of my favorite albums.

Blink-182 is my biggest guilty pleasure. They were the next big band in my life after Green Day as a kid, and Dude Ranch is still one of my all time favorite albums. They're pop-punk, sure, but theres nothing wrong with that. They're last self-titled album is extremely underrated and showed a lot of maturity and growth in their sound, "I Miss You" is a beautiful song. I don't really give a shit if they're "punk" or not to be honest, I enjoyed them when I was 10 and I still enjoy them now. I'm extremely excited over the fact that they're back together and working on a new album.

Well......

I like NoFx I won't start listing songs because I like almost all of them.
I first got into them by seeing a kid in my hood with a jacket with all kinds of spikes and names on it. Soon I found out those names where bands, he gave me a tape with diff. song by bands that he was into. Not log after I went out and bought some NoFx tapes,and that began my love of NoFx and punk.
I don't have a point to my story just wanted to say how I started to like punk.

Terrible thread. Go try and listen to some music which isn't immediately, obviously available to you upon first inspection and you'll see there's plenty of punk music around. NOFX sucks for the most part, although tbh I started out listening to blink-182 (who still rule, Cheshire Cat ftw!) and Green Day (who are becoming increasingly embarrassing to have ever listened to - but they still have a few quality albums).

True characteristics of a punk?
Idk!
Best dacade for Punk?
'90s man, hardcore grunge music started here, Nirvana, Three Days Grace (Groundswell back than), Escape The Fate I think o_O, etc
I think it's more important to sound punk, I mean when have Punk's really cared 'bout looks thats conformist diva crap....
I think Punk is dying man, ppl are so in to rap and what not....

True characteristics of a punk?
Idk!

There are none. Your mom could be a punk.

Best dacade for Punk?
'90s man, hardcore grunge music started here, Nirvana, Three Days Grace (Groundswell back than), Escape The Fate I think o_O, etc

Right...there are a lot of things wrong with that statement.

A) Grunge didn't start in the '90s, it started in the '80s.

B) Three Days Grace/Groundswell is not "hardcore" grunge. They're post-grunge, like Bush. Three Days Grace is NOT punk.

C) Escape the Fate is screamo, not even remotely grunge. Screamo is a form of punk though. Escape the Fate formed in 2004 though, not the '90s.

I think Punk is dying man, ppl are so in to rap and what not....

Punk isn't dying, people have just stopped looking. I could name you dozens and dozens of fantastic modern punk bands, especially hardcore. Hardcore is still thriving in both the US and especially in places like Sweden and Germany.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back