Pick 6

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
OK, I created a MLB driven thread, now it's time for the NHL. Take your favorite team, and create a 3 man line, pick 2 defensemen, and a goalie. It could be who you think is the best, or who your favorites are. You decide...

LW - Adam Graves 9:
1994 was his season, no matter what anyone says about Messier. He was the catalyst for a lot of what happened, and set the team's all-time scoring mark with 54 goals. He's also one of my favorites to ever wear the red, white, and blue. Every team needs a man that will stay in front of the net, and make things happen, and he's perfect for the job.

C - Mark Messier 11:
Do I really need to explain this one? He's in the argument for who's number 2, behind Gretzky, and he is the greatest captain to ever step foot on the ice. Don't believe me? Check out the name of the award for the Best Captain each season. He's the type of player that will stand up for his team, but can also shoot the puck, and make some very nice passes. No true Ranger fan would make a dream team, and not include him.

RW - Rod Gilbert 7:
This is a lot like Messier. He was a great player, and was the face of the team through a long stretch of bad seasons (Go ahead, IC...say it...54...). He was a great goal scorer, and a better playmaker.

D - Jeff Beukeboom 23:
I'll admit, this is almost entirely because he's one of my favorite players ever. He's a big, tough, defenseman, that never backed down from anyone. He's offensively challenged, but that's made up with who I'd be pairing him with.

D - Brian Leetch 2:
Surprised? Not only is he the second greatest Ranger ever, but he's among the top 10 greatest defenders ever. He's a class act, and can dominate either end of the ice. There's not much I cans ay about him, that can do any justice.

G - Ed Giacomin 1:
The first truly great Rangers goaltender. He set the stage for guys like Davidson, Richter, and Lundqvist on how to mind the net in NY. He's an old school guy, that was never afraid to do what was needed to win. There's a reason his number is hanging up in the Garden...

I am gonna do the Pens here, and I was going to cheat with the Malkin, Crosby, Lemieux line, but I decided not to.

Winger - Jaromir Jagr. He was Mario's right hand man for several years. They won two Stanley Cups, went to several championship games, and brought the game of hockey back to Pittsburgh. Jagr was a helluva scorer, good passer, and could play some defense. He was an all around good hockey player.

Center - Undoubtedly this goes to Lemieux. He was one of the most exciting hockey players of all time. He could score from anywhere on the ice, he was decent at defending, and he made all his players better. Too bad he had so many health issues, because I wanted to see him chase Gretzsky's scoring record.

Winger - Joey Mullens. He was a solid hockey player, he was tough, gritty, and very agile. He was a solid scorer, and an important performer on our two Stanley Cup victories.

Defense - Paul Coffey, He was an all around good hockey player, he was tough, could score, and didn;t have a problem setting up goals.

Defense - Larry Murphy, he was a solid defender, won two cups with the Pens. He was an alright scorer seeing as how he has the fifth highest point total for a defenseman in NHL history.

Goalie - Tom Barrasso, He won to Cups in PGH and is the only goalie to do that, so I went with him...

Well here you go Justin's Pick 6 for the Detroit Red Wings

LW-Ted Lindsay
A mean nasty bastard nicknamed Terriable Ted, the guy scored over 800 pts. in his career, Terriable Ted is the reason the NHL had to create penalties for elbowing and kneeing, In the 1949–50 season, he won the Art Ross Trophy as the league's leading scorer with 78 points and his team won the Stanley Cup. Over the next five years, he helped Detroit win three more championships and appeared with Howe on the cover of a March 1957 Sports Illustrated issue. Ted was the first player to lift the Cup and skate around the rink with it, starting a great tradition.

C-Steve Yzerman

This guy is the reason I became a Wings fans, he is a perfect example of how a professional athlete should carry themselves, he never put his team in a bad spot on or off the ice, was a great leader, always showed up, was loyal to his team throughout his entire career and never complained, Yzerman is my all time favorite Hockey player, always has been, always will be

RW-Gordie Howe
Possibly the greatest RW in the history of the game, the man is refered to as Mr. Hockey for a reason, because he was that danm good, before Gretzky came along Howe was the top dog in all of professional Hockey, he was teh guy every player wanted to be, basically if Gretzky was the Hulk Hogan of the NHL than Howe was the Sammartino, there are very few players in the historyo fthe game that could be considered greater than Gordie Howe

D-Nick Lidstrom
Like Yzerman, the guy is a real class act and another great example of how a professional athlete should carry themselves, and is a great leader on and off the ice, he's also one of the best defensemen I have ever seen play the game, Lidstrom is considered the top NHL defenceman of his era, having won the Norris Trophy as the NHL's best defenceman three consecutive seasons from 2000–01 to 2002–03 and again from 2005–06 to 2007–08. He has been nominated for the award a total of nine times in the past ten seasons, the first three times finishing as the runner-up, and has won it in six of the last seven (2004-2005 had no winner due to the NHL Lockout), Lidstrom has done a magnificent job of wearing the "C" since Yzerman has retired

D-Paul Coffey
Ahh..Paul Coffey, the guy ranks second all-time among NHL denfesmen career goals, assists, & points, the man is known more for his work in Edmonton, where he won a couple Stanley Cups, on the road to those he became the first Defensemen to rack up 40 goals, in 86-85 he won his first Norris trophy while scoring 121 pts., he played four and a half seasons in Detroit and enjoyed moderate success. In the lockout-shortened 1994–95 NHL season, Coffey led his team in scoring, the only time in his entire career he would accomplish that feat, while picking up his third Norris Trophy. In the 1994-95 NHL Playoffs, he led all defenceman in shorthanded goals (2) while helping Detroit to Stanley Cup Finals.

G-Terry Sawchuck
This was a tough choice, it was either between Sawchuck or Osgood, but as you can see I opted for Sawchuck. Sawchuk won 501 games, 447 regular season and 54 playoff games, while recording 115 shutouts, 103 in the regular season and 12 in the playoffs. Sawchuk's ability to play despite painful injuries, a valuable asset in the days before goalies wore protective facemasks, was shown early in his life. In his professional hockey career, Sawchuk played for more than a dozen years without a mask and received over 600 stitches to his face. However, he later wore a mask and valued its protective use. Sawchuk finished his hockey career with 447 wins, a record that stood for thirty years, and his career record of 103 shutouts remains unsurpassed among NHL goaltenders. (George Hainsworth holds the record for total major league shutouts with 104, 94 of them in the NHL.) In 1971, Sawchuk was posthumously elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame and awarded the Lester Patrick Trophy for his contribution to hockey in the United States. In 1997, the book Shutout: The Legend of Terry Sawchuk by sports author Brian Kendall, was published. Also, the book Sawchuk: The troubles and triumphs of the World's Greatest Goalie was published in 1998 by David Dupis, with participation by the Sawchuk family. In 2001, he was honored with his image on a Canadian postage stamp. His number 1 has been retired by the Detroit Red Wings. The Terry Sawchuk Arena in his hometown of Winnipeg is named in his honour.

Fun Idea...

C Steve Yzerman- My all time favorite hockey player, nah, athlete. He's the longest reigning captain on the same team. Plus he was a great two player with a presence both on and off the ice.

LW Henrik Zetterberg- There's a reason the team tied this guy up for the rest of his career. Good all around speed, defense and scoring.

RW Gordie Howe- It's a two-horse race for the greatest Red Wing ever and Mr. Hockey has many people's vote. He was tough, he could score and would round out this line perfectly.

D Nick Lidstrom- The future Hall of Fame defense-man is one of the greatest of all time. He gets it done with his stick and his perfect positioning.

D Jonathon Ericcson- A mountain of a man. Big shot. Big Hits. Long reach. This kid has potential. Every since Babcock brought him up, I've been a fan. I see big things in the future for him

G Chris Osgood- I had the same dilemma as Justin. Sawchuk and Osgood are both considered Detroit's goalies. I picked Osgood because I remember a time when I just wasn't a fan, but he's grown on me and he's won me over. I love Osgood and he always picks it up in the playoffs.

GO WINGS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back