Phil Mickelson or Tiger Woods?

jmt225

Global Moderator
Let's be honest... those are the only two golfers any casual fan gives a damn about, and I'm pretty sure there are no 'hardcore' golf fans here. So, with that in mind, who are you pulling for in this year’s US Open: Phil Mickelson or Tiger Woods?

In Phil Mickelson you have a guy whose wife has Breast Cancer, so a lot of people are sympathizing with him. Then you also add the fact that he's never won the US Open, it's hard not to root for this dude. However, he's going up against the most popular golfer on the planet in Tiger Woods, who won the US Open last year in very dramatic fashion, and a lot of people would love to see him repeat and continue his journey to winning more major championships then anyone in golf history, thus making him the greatest of all time. It's the very entertaining aspect of Underdog vs. The Head Honcho, but in this case.. the Head Honcho isn't a bad guy, so it's hard to want to see him get taken down.

However, personally, even though I always root for Tiger Woods, I have to give my support to Phil Mickelson this year. I watched his press conference early this morning and man... the part where he talks about his wife sending him hints that she wants a new trophy or medal in her hospital room when she's going through chemotherapy... that's all I needed to hear to hope Phil Mickelson pulls off a miracle by winning this thing.

You gotta pull for Phil. Even if Tiger wasn't the person that I always rooted for, when his dad died, I would have supported him. When a major sports star has some sort of hard time they're going through, and I don't mean Plaxico Burress or Michael Vick, you sympathize with them. I suppose the same could be said for any celebrity, but you don't really cheer for actors or politicians.

Do I think Phil will win? No. Will I be watching? No. Do I want Phil to pull this one out? Yes, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back