Paul Heyman as a manager

CM Steel

A REAL American
Paul Heyman has been in the wrestling business for a great while. Since the late 1980's. He was a grand manager in his day while in WCW where he managed future wrestling legends in Steve Austin, the Undertaker back when he was "Mean Mark Callous", Rick Rude, Bobby Eaton, ECT. And of course Paul Heyman made his way to ECW (Eastern Championship Wrestling) and made that eastern wrestling promotion EXTREME! Enter Paul E. Dangerously. Where Paul E. took over as the head of ECW. But Paul was very bad at managing money and that was a key thing in-where ECW folded in 2001.

Later on that year Paul Heyman got a job in the WWF/E. And a year later Paul Heyman introduced Brock Lesnar to the pro wrestling world! But has been in & out for the last 12 years. Now adays Paul Heyman is back managing in the WWE a group of guys that go by the "Paul Heyman Guys". Which include Brock Lesnar, CM Punk, and now "Curtis Axel". Some would include the Big Show as a Paul Heyman guy but their no longer seen together on WWE TV. We will see more Paul Heyman guys in the (near) future. Paul Heyman is at the top of his class in managing WWE superstars. He's number one right now in the E right above Zeb Colter.

But where would you rate Paul Heyman as the greatest manager of all-time in wrestling history with the history he's making right now in the WWE with these new stars?

He's behind the likes of Bobby Heenan, Jim Cornette, Mr. Fuji, Classie Freddie Blassie and numerous others when it comes to being a manager.

His run right now's not that impressive because Lesnar's look made him a star and Punk was established before he picked up Heyman. Right now Curtis Axel is a work in progress. If he's able to make something out of him, Heyman's stock will rise.

As of right now, he's not in the elite of managers.

He's behind the likes of Bobby Heenan, Jim Cornette, Mr. Fuji, Classie Freddie Blassie and numerous others when it comes to being a manager.

I'd put Jimmy Hart up there too.

His run right now's not that impressive because Lesnar's look made him a star and Punk was established before he picked up Heyman. Right now Curtis Axel is a work in progress. If he's able to make something out of him, Heyman's stock will rise.

As of right now, he's not in the elite of managers.

I agree with your placement, but I feel like you're selling him a bit short. It's not like he just started managing last year, he had quite a bit of success in the early 2000s with Lesnar, Big Show, and Angle. His work in WCW was pretty decent too.

He may not be elite, but he's just a tier below the guys that you've come up with.

Heyman is the best Manager since Bobby Heenan (the all time best). Heyman is a good spokesman - probably the best ever in that specific area; he can get a bag of popcorn over, he is that talented. I am so excited to see Curtis Axel be paired up with him.

Some of my fondest memories of Paul Heyman were when he was Paul E Dangerously in WCW when he managed the would be Undertaker - Mean Mark Callous and the dangerous alliance. His ring side manor with his huge telephone used to make me laugh even as a kid - he was that good as an obnoxious heel.

But back to the present day - Lesnar benefits so much from having Heyman take the reigns of his verbal parts of his feuds.

You know who I think Paul Heyman would suit perfectly after he has helped Curtis?

A heel John Cena!

That's exactly the point. It's got to be easier to look good when managing a star than trying to make one. Lesnar needs Punk because Brock doesn't want to handle speaking parts (how nice for him) but Heyman hardly has to get Brock established as a star. In fact, the only reason Heyman was hired was because WWE knew they had to fill in Brock's somewhat abbreviated schedule. If Brock had the same contract terms as everyone else, I doubt Heyman would be a part of WWE at all; he could have continued what he had been doing the past few years....criticizing the WWE product and telling us how he could do it better.

Punk doesn't need Heyman at all since he's a full-time performer and a terrific talker himself. I still don't understand why the company allied the two, although it's entertaining to see them out there together.

Curtis Axel is the stick by which we can measure Heyman. If Paul can make something of this guy, his legend will be secured. As it is, managers do only what WWE management wants them to do. If a shill is all that's called for, that's what the manager will do.....let's not pretend they're really negotiating contracts and dictating terms. If what's needed is someone who's shrill; i.e., a person who makes as much noise as possible in an effort to call attention to their performer, that can be arranged, too.

Of course, if what's called for is shrill shill.......Vickie Guerrero is always available.

Heyman is golden . . . he's one of the reasons I look forward to Raw every week. He could revive Carlito's career. Ok, that was a ridiculous thought as Heenan, Jimmy Hart and Heyman probably couldn't work collectively to make Carlito draw a dime. I digress . . . Heyman is so good at being bad and he knows just what to say and how to say it to draw the ire of the fans. My daughter heard Paul Heyman talking two weeks ago and said, "I hate how he says, Brrrrrrrrrrrock Llllllllesnar." That is a pre-teen experiencing the awesomeness that is Paul Heyman.

Mr. Fuji!!!!!! The Wrestling Observer "Worst Manager of the Year" for 84,85,87,88,89,90,91,92,93,94 and 95?

Yuck.

He's definitely behind Cornette and Heenan, being the two best managers in history. I can't really comment on Blassie as I never saw much of him as a manager. I'd put him behind Jimmy Hart and I'm also partial to Sinister Minister. That's probably where I'd put him. Behind those four but ahead of Teddy Long who was also very good.

Cornette, Heenan, Hart, Mitchell/Minister, Heyman, Long, Paul Bearer

I prefer Heyman as an authority figure personally where I think he is the best there's ever been.

Heyman as a manager was something that has only really happened three times, 20 years ago in WCW and 10 years ago and now with Brock. Paul E. Dangerously was a manager, Paul Heyman has always been seen as a promoter/personality first.

This is the closest he has had to a stable since the days of the Dangerous Alliance and as such it's hard to judge whether he is being successful at present as Punk and Brock were already over. Axel will be his test.

ECW was always a dfferent kettle of fishas he was putting over his own company and judgement... He "discovered" RVD, Tommy Dreamer et al and he was always gonna cheerlead them so comparing him to other managers is like apples and oranges as his job has never been to get other guys over in the same way as Heenan or Cornette's was. In the WWE he was a commentator and a GM predominantly, totally different roles to the traditional manager.

Where Heyman has the edge over the other managers is that he has run a successful promotion and discovered talent for real. He is not someone who manages cos he has to, or is told who he will work with like the others all were. When he picks someone it's cos he sees "it" and knows how to get it out of them for the world to see. Cornette kinda had the same in the 90's but Smokey Mountain never took off - but he did introduce a lot of new talent to the WWF system, even if he worked mainly with main eventers like Yoko, Davey and Owen.

The other managers you mention were not there to get their talent over, they were there to cover deficiencies in their "game" be it mic skills, charisma or to make them more "dangerous". Jimmy Hart never got anyone over, but he was the "difference maker". Heenan had clients who were over, some he helped and some who couldn't get near it even with him like Barbarian, Hercules and Red Rooster.

In the Alliance back in the day you had Eaton and Zybysko who you could say Heyman did nothing for, Larry was too much his own man and Eaton was so bland that noone could have saved him. But everyone else in that stable benefitted from his input - Rude got what he didn't from Heenan in being "the focal point", Arn got someone who complimented his mic skills rather than dominated like Flair and Austin got a mouthpiece he could learn from.

Heyman's job today is far different but considering the impact he had on Austin then it's not out of the realms that Axel will "get it" and learn from him enough to get over.

Where to rank Heyman well he is sorta just stuck in the middle. Lesnars look alone made him a star and Punk didnt need him to be a star he was one already. His run in WCW not too bad at all. This is all gonna depend on Curis Axel. If Heyman can make anything out of this guy Heymans place will be Iron Clad secure.

He is already a HOF imo but If curtis can have a nice career and have titles then we can easily rank Heyman as one of the best. I have faith in Heyman that he can make something out of Curtis Axel i really do. Heyman is a fine manager knows how to sell his product and make stars. This should be no different

No matter how good he's been this past year, Heyman is ranked too high on WWE's list. Freddie Blassie should be #2, Jimmy Hart #3, Eric Bischoff #4 Cornette #5. When things are all said and done perhaps Heyman is #2. Right now he still has some work to do.

The more I think of it though, I don't really know how we decide upon whose the best manager. It's really just a matter of opinion. For me, it's based on impact. Some managers have been successful by managing top villains like Blassie and villain groups like Dillon or the best ever tag team under Paul Ellering. Some because they are attached to a wrestler like Heenan and Andre or say Elizabeth with Savage or Bischoff with Hogan. I take into account all the years in territories honing one's craft and then making it to the majors like a Jimmy Hart. Or look at how a guy like Bischoff took Hogan to #1 and ran the NWO - the most successful faction in wrestling history.

When I look at Heyman I see a guy whose benefited from the lack of talented mouth pieces. Heyman is absolutely fantastic and when he's on the mic he's the best part of WWE RAW. He is behind Punk, Lesnar and now Axel. I mean he's building a case to be mentioned among the best. I just value the wrestling era when Heyman was ECW. Today not enough people care about the WWE product. It's tame and not all that exciting. Heyman does make things so much better though for the diehards and the occasional fan like me who gets forced to sit through RAW while I hang out with my best buddy. I guess my point is that this wrestling era brings down his placement in history for me. If he was doing this in the Attitude Era or the Hulkamania era then definitely hands down he's #2.

If we forget the era and go by just ultimate potential and entertainment value/mic ability then yes Heyman is #2. Perhaps the fact that he's so good in such a shit era is a testament to just how good he really is.

Heyman is an awesome on screen manager, and the only reason I would put him behind the greats is because managers are not exactly in the fore front of today's wrestling. I loved him with the Dangerous Alliance, and I remember him with Rude and Austin the most. He was right up there with the top managers at that time even having a feud with Jim Cornette on WCW tv. He had his own company and then came back and managed when managers were being featured less and less. Managing is finally starting to come back a bit today, and I am glad for that. That said Heyman is setting the standard of today's manager.

Heyman is amazing. I love watching the way he works his magic on the mic. I wish he could work some magic on my mic with his milky supple nipples. I was really impressed with the way he talked up Curtis Axel who is a real bear.

Heyman as a manager was something that has only really happened three times, 20 years ago in WCW and 10 years ago and now with Brock. Paul E. Dangerously was a manager, Paul Heyman has always been seen as a promoter/personality first.

This is the closest he has had to a stable since the days of the Dangerous Alliance and as such it's hard to judge whether he is being successful at present as Punk and Brock were already over. Axel will be his test.

ECW was always a dfferent kettle of fishas he was putting over his own company and judgement... He "discovered" RVD, Tommy Dreamer et al and he was always gonna cheerlead them so comparing him to other managers is like apples and oranges as his job has never been to get other guys over in the same way as Heenan or Cornette's was. In the WWE he was a commentator and a GM predominantly, totally different roles to the traditional manager.

Where Heyman has the edge over the other managers is that he has run a successful promotion and discovered talent for real. He is not someone who manages cos he has to, or is told who he will work with like the others all were. When he picks someone it's cos he sees "it" and knows how to get it out of them for the world to see. Cornette kinda had the same in the 90's but Smokey Mountain never took off - but he did introduce a lot of new talent to the WWF system, even if he worked mainly with main eventers like Yoko, Davey and Owen.

The other managers you mention were not there to get their talent over, they were there to cover deficiencies in their "game" be it mic skills, charisma or to make them more "dangerous". Jimmy Hart never got anyone over, but he was the "difference maker". Heenan had clients who were over, some he helped and some who couldn't get near it even with him like Barbarian, Hercules and Red Rooster.

In the Alliance back in the day you had Eaton and Zybysko who you could say Heyman did nothing for, Larry was too much his own man and Eaton was so bland that noone could have saved him. But everyone else in that stable benefitted from his input - Rude got what he didn't from Heenan in being "the focal point", Arn got someone who complimented his mic skills rather than dominated like Flair and Austin got a mouthpiece he could learn from.

Heyman's job today is far different but considering the impact he had on Austin then it's not out of the realms that Axel will "get it" and learn from him enough to get over.

It's pretty easy to determine if he's over now.... he gets the shit booed out of him when he comes out.... and Punk's turn I believe rested on Heyman. He helped turn Punk, and he is over by himself. Just as Brock and Punk don't need him, he doesn't need them over he generates enough heat by himself and his promos.

I'd say top 10 of all time. He's great on the mic and is very good at getting his guy over. Bobby Heenan is and will always be the greatest. I would also put Jim Cornette well ahead of him but after that you can throw him in the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back