Overrated bands!

El Rev sXe

If you have ghosts...
so I'm always reading that Cena is overrateded, Morrison is overrated etc....etc. so I'm sick of that, but I'm always thinking about overrated things. in this case music! just for the record, I'm going to name ONLY rock bands, cause there are alot more rock bands that are known for being overrated....

anyway, I'm going to start by giving you my top 5, and BTW (it's going to be very controversial): ALL TIME OVERRATED BANDS

(from 5 to 1)
Metallica: DON'T GE ME WRONG WITH THIS ONE! I love Metallica but I don't think that they are the GREATEST metal band in the world! not at all! they fucking rock! but....musically speaking, I think that there are better metal bands (Megadeth anybody?). of course I'm talking about a MAINSTREAM METAL BAND! but it's a PERSONAL OPINION.

AC/DC: just like with Metallica, I love the band, I mean c'mon Back in Black is one of the greatest records I have ever heard. My brother loves them! he has every single record of them,but when you listen them all, you always listen the same structure in everything! lyrics, riffs, solos..everything repeats itself!

Ozzy Osbourne: the Prince of Darkness.....is overrated! yeah he is an amazing figure for metal. where metal would be without Ozzy?! probably there wouldn't be any metal! HOWEVER...Ozzy respresents alot for metal by his persona, his charisma, but not at all as a musician... he has basically all the discography of Black Sabbath, but as a solo artist... only the first two records are woth it. since then..who the fuck as a musician is Ozzy? yeah he has Ozzfest, but I mean he is nothing! he doesn't have any classic songs or records anymore!

Elvis Presley: the king? NOT! I'm sorry, this one I really don't see what's all the big deal about...he didn't do something new, something revolutionary! what he did whas something that a lot of black guys did before him! only cause he was white and all the little girls screamed for him made him famous! I mean :wtf: he even didn't wrote his own fucking songs!:banghead: 100% overrated

Kiss: the #1 in my list. these cock suckers think that they are the biggest band in the whole damn world!:disappointed: NOT AT ALL. yeah you guys are good, but as good as Led Zep? as good as Metallica? NO NO NO!not at all! these guys are POSERS! that's right P O S E R S! you think that Metallica sold out? not in a million years! Kiss are the ones that are really fucking sell outs...if you are thinking "you are overreacting The Rev.." well my friend, if you have a gimmick that is supposed to be a DEMON and then in order to make more money and being "successful" you write and play a fucking disco song, that doesn't scream SELL OUT to you? then IDK what does it. this guy makes music not because music is a universal lenguage, but because if you are "successful" it's an esay way to make tones of money! great songs are......yeah...that is why not a single top dog in the music bis respects Kiss.

Notable mentions: Van Halen but every single fucking band of the 80's that were glam (where are they now??NOWHERE that's where!)

as always, feel free to agree or disagree and/or pick other bands that you think that are overrated.

I'd say you're wrong on just about all of those picks. Each of those bands/artists have contributed to and influenced generations of subsequent music/musicians. I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to what rock music would be like without them and their numerous contributions to the genre. They have all earned and rightly deserve all the respect and praise they receive.

I'd say you're wrong on just about all of those picks. Each of those bands/artists have contributed to and influenced generations of subsequent music/musicians. I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to what rock music would be like without them and their numerous contributions to the genre. They have all earned and rightly deserve all the respect and praise they receive.

at any point did I say the opposite? I even said what they represents for music biz, but let me hear you... why you defend someone who didn't wrote his own songs and how a band that they called themselves HARD-rock (or even metal to some degree) did disco at a certain moment? I mean, "as always feel free to agree or disagree" but tell at least who you would say that are overrated?

at any point did I say the opposite?
By the very definition of the word "overrated" (which is what you called all the above acts)

overrate

–verb (used with object), -rat·ed, -rat·ing.
to rate or appraise too highly; overestimate:

you are saying they get more praise than they deserve. So yes you are saying the opposite of me, when I say they deserve the amount of praise they receive.
I even said what they represents for music biz, but let me hear you... why you defend someone who didn't wrote his own songs
I will defend Elvis on numerous counts. With regards to writing music: because at the time and era of his career it was not mandatory, common or necessary for an entertainer/performer to write their own music thereby making your criticism of such practically irrelevant.
and how a band that they called themselves HARD-rock (or even metal to some degree) did disco at a certain moment?
KISS was about the gimmick, and the spectacle, and least of all the music genre. They were entertainers who happened to use music as a vehicle for their act. Disco was extremely popular at the time and they capitalized on it having one of the biggest selling hits of their entire career. I can't fault them for being smart businessmen, nor does that qualify them as overrated. If anything it's proof positive that they were skilled enough to be successful in two separate and distinct genres of music.
I mean, "as always feel free to agree or disagree" but tell at least who you would say that are overrated?
I did disagree.

Nickelback tops my list on all accounts. Freaking mainstream sell outs. They were alright with that how you remind me song, but afterward they just started repeating everything. They write shit that they know will sell. I cant stand them and never will understand the praise that they get.

honorable mentions:

-Linkin Park (post hybrid theory)

-Staind

-Hinder

-Linkin Park (post hybrid theory)

My thoughts exactly. I really loved Linkin Park and had all their albums but after a talk with one of my friends who said they were doing the same thing over and over again, I checked and he was right, they simply sing about angst, not being able to fit in depression etc all the time. They're a talented band but they need to have a bit more variation.

By the very definition of the word "overrated" (which is what you called all the above acts)

overrate

–verb (used with object), -rat·ed, -rat·ing.
to rate or appraise too highly; overestimate:

you are saying they get more praise than they deserve. So yes you are saying the opposite of me, when I say they deserve the amount of praise they receive.
I will defend Elvis on numerous counts. With regards to writing music: because at the time and era of his career it was not mandatory, common or necessary for an entertainer/performer to write their own music thereby making your criticism of such practically irrelevant. KISS was about the gimmick, and the spectacle, and least of all the music genre. They were entertainers who happened to use music as a vehicle for their act. Disco was extremely popular at the time and they capitalized on it having one of the biggest selling hits of their entire career. I can't fault them for being smart businessmen, nor does that qualify them as overrated. If anything it's proof positive that they were skilled enough to be successful in two separate and distinct genres of music. I did disagree.

LigerBomb: I finally have the definition of "overate"...thanks! so "to rate or appraise too highly" hmmmm well yeah THAT IS EXACLTY WHY I MEANT WITH THIS THREAD:"Ozzy Osbourne: the Prince of Darkness.....is overrated! yeah he is an amazing figure for metal. where metal would be without Ozzy?! probably there wouldn't be any metal! HOWEVER...Ozzy respresents alot for metal by his persona, his charisma, but not at all as a musician..." that's why FOR ME he is overrated.

so let's debate a little bit: about Elvis and the fact he didn't wrote any song. well man, you can say it was the time...so?TODAY there is alot of people who continue to do that. write your own songs isn't something mandatory at all. but you will be respected for writing you own material. what does this make about Elvis IMO, not an artist, but a PLASTIC artist, the ones that you will see TODAY winning "American Idol". you are good looking, you have the looks and the moves and even the voice! but where is the actual talent. cause you know not everyone that has a good voice is a singer...(except in pop music). what is the big deal of Elvis? he was one the first PLASTIC artist in the biz, as I said before there was alot of black guys who did that BEFORE HIM but weren't the kings! why? because they weren't white, good looking, but that is another topic.

about Kiss...well LigerBomb you should listen to Calle 13 NOW! not the shit that they did years ago but today. if you don't know spanish I will translate it for you. why I'm saying this, cause Calle 13 are also sell outs. but not the kind of sell outs that are Kiss. Kiss they see music as an easy way to make money, Calle 13 see music as a way to tell to the entire world all the injustices. so IMO Kiss are sell outs because they only care about $ while there is other artists that are out there trying to change the world though music.

however I thank you for reading my thread and disagree with me!

oh and the Linkin Park stuff..totally agree! they were cool til Hybrid Theory or whatever...

My thoughts exactly. I really loved Linkin Park and had all their albums but after a talk with one of my friends who said they were doing the same thing over and over again, I checked and he was right, they simply sing about angst, not being able to fit in depression etc all the time. They're a talented band but they need to have a bit more variation.

I loved them when they first came out I was one of the people who listened to them non stop and didnt love them just for "In The End". hell I thought meteora was decent but I had it after minutes to midnight came out. Like I said about eminem in another forum about eminem's Recovery album, I said he should just rename it to "Eminem has sold out to mainstream" Granted I loved him but I had it after he joined forces with the king and queen of mainstream shit lil wayne and rihanna. Back to linkin park I really believe they became the definition of mainstream on minutes to midnight

so IMO Kiss are sell outs because they only care about $ while there is other artists that are out there trying to change the world though music.

Then you need to be educated on what the definition of a "sell out" actually is. To sell out, Kiss would have to go against their original beliefs for the purpose of making money. One problem though---KISS was always about making money, from day one. How do you sell out when your purpose for existence is about the money? It's not as though KISS were out there writing Dylan-esque political songs and gave it up to make cash and write songs about beer and pussy, they wrote songs about partying for a generation of partying people and made boatloads of cash off of it, just as they intended to.

The ironic thing though is that despite these reasons, KISS still produced some of the best 70s American hard rock out there, particularly their early stuff which was downright excellent, I'm sorry but if you're going to sit here and deny the awesomeness of a song like "Love Gun", I'm going to have to disagree strongly. KISS really aren't rated as a legendary band either, so if anything KISS is underrated in my eyes, damn good group in the 70s who wrote great hard rock songs with killer pop hooks and a ton of theatricality. Sure they've sucked for the last 30 years, but that doesn't diminish their original work.

As for overrated bands...Queen. Yeah I said it WZ-landers, deal with that shit. Amazing group, don't get me wrong, but I'm still pissed they won the WZ Rock tournament two years ago, because they wouldn't even crack my Top 20 let alone dare to be called the best at what they do. Again, great group, but vastly overrated as they never were and will never be on the level of other legendary groups such as the Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin, etc.

Then you need to be educated on what the definition of a "sell out" actually is. To sell out, Kiss would have to go against their original beliefs for the purpose of making money. One problem though---KISS was always about making money, from day one. How do you sell out when your purpose for existence is about the money? It's not as though KISS were out there writing Dylan-esque political songs and gave it up to make cash and write songs about beer and pussy, they wrote songs about partying for a generation of partying people and made boatloads of cash off of it, just as they intended to.

The ironic thing though is that despite these reasons, KISS still produced some of the best 70s American hard rock out there, particularly their early stuff which was downright excellent, I'm sorry but if you're going to sit here and deny the awesomeness of a song like "Love Gun", I'm going to have to disagree strongly. KISS really aren't rated as a legendary band either, so if anything KISS is underrated in my eyes, damn good group in the 70s who wrote great hard rock songs with killer pop hooks and a ton of theatricality. Sure they've sucked for the last 30 years, but that doesn't diminish their original work.

As for overrated bands...Queen. Yeah I said it WZ-landers, deal with that shit. Amazing group, don't get me wrong, but I'm still pissed they won the WZ Rock tournament two years ago, because they wouldn't even crack my Top 20 let alone dare to be called the best at what they do. Again, great group, but vastly overrated as they never were and will never be on the level of other legendary groups such as the Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin, etc.

you actually have pretty great points there my man! you are totally right I forgot the fact that Kiss loves more money than music. so I correct myself, they aren't sell outs, they are posers. as you said I can't denied some of the greatness of a couple of songs "Love Gun", "Detroit Rock City", "Strutter", "God of Thunder" "10,000,000 years (or days, don't remember)" are all awesome songs that inspired generations! but then they came with "I Was Made for Loving You".....:wtf:..oh well:shrug:

about Queen..once again I agree, it is an awesome, AWESOME band but as you said they aren't at the level of Led Zep or The Who.

Elvis is one of my favorite listens.. haha

I got two that I am prepared to get shot down for:

Nirvana/Kurt Cobain. So, let me get this straight. A shitty singer, song writer and guitarist commits suicide and his gets deemed the greatest thing since pussy? Seriously, was there any who wasn't on drugs and other stuff that understood what he was saying? His work just seemed really lazy.

Led Zeppelin. They are my favorite bad, but I cannot deny that everything kind of went down hill after Untitled IV. Plant was having some serious family issues (son dying, car crash with his wife), Bonham was going through depression because of being away from his family which lead to serious drinking. And Page found some fancy new vices, to say the least. This lead Paul John Jones having a much heavier role in the group, but a lot of the stuff sounded too "classical" instead of "classic rock".

Elvis is one of my favorite listens.. haha

I got two that I am prepared to get shot down for:

Nirvana/Kurt Cobain. So, let me get this straight. A shitty singer, song writer and guitarist commits suicide and his gets deemed the greatest thing since pussy? Seriously, was there any who wasn't on drugs and other stuff that understood what he was saying? His work just seemed really lazy.

I agree with you about Nirvana being overrated but that has got to be the shittiest reason. Nirvana and Cobain were popular even before his death. His singing was good but if you're complaining about his singing I think you should complain about Slipknot's vocalist's singing as well as nearly every other metal band of the past ten years because I can't understand a word they're saying.

I feel Nirvana are overrated because when anyone says grunge everyone thinks Nirvana and that they couldn't do any wrong. Truth is while they were a good band (and still one of my favourites) their talents paled in comparision to other grunge bands. Layne Staley and Chris Cornell had much better vocal quality in my opinion and Eddie Vedder was better than him as well. Jerry Cantrell's guitar absouletly raped Cobain's guitar playing. But these guys (Alice In Chains, Soundgarden and even Pearl Jam) don't get nearly as much recognition that Nirvana get which is why I feel Nirvana is overrated.

I agree with you about Nirvana being overrated but that has got to be the shittiest reason. Nirvana and Cobain were popular even before his death. His singing was good but if you're complaining about his singing I think you should complain about Slipknot's vocalist's singing as well as nearly every other metal band of the past ten years because I can't understand a word they're saying.

I don't listen to Slipknot or a lot of metal bands because of the singing. I wanna listen to music because it sounds good.. Not to get yelled at like an abused significant other. But I still think the way Kurt mumbled through verses only to shout in the chorus was lazy composition on his part.

I feel Nirvana are overrated because when anyone says grunge everyone thinks Nirvana and that they couldn't do any wrong. Truth is while they were a good band (and still one of my favourites) their talents paled in comparision to other grunge bands. Layne Staley and Chris Cornell had much better vocal quality in my opinion and Eddie Vedder was better than him as well. Jerry Cantrell's guitar absouletly raped Cobain's guitar playing. But these guys (Alice In Chains, Soundgarden and even Pearl Jam) don't get nearly as much recognition that Nirvana get which is why I feel Nirvana is overrated.

Can't agree with that. Very well spoken, mah agreeing, yet disagreeing friend. ;)

Ok, I thought of another one. Not really a band, but a singer:

Lady Gaga. A lot of her fans treat her like she is a Messiah or something. But in reality, she dresses incredibly "asshole-y", any vocal talent she may have is drowned by needless auto-tune and electronic sympathizer fodder, and all of her music is about getting drunk and being a ****e. Which, I guess, is fine considering that is her musical style. However, don't try to tell me she is some super intelligent master of something or whatever. Don't try me she is any better than a Britney Spears (whom is much more successful and likable) when she does pretty much same music but only tackier looking.

OK, as a metalhead, I have to chime in here. yes, Slipknot sucks, but you can not say that Corey Taylor is a shitty singer. Listen to Stone Sour, his vocals are amazing with that band. And I'm sorry, but Cobain was never good enough to wipe my ass, shitty guitar player, and even shittier singer.

You say Ozzy is overrated, but when you think about it, whats he most known for? INVENTING METAL. Not for his writing ability.

KISS is basically a company, they aren't posers because they weren't claiming to be something they're not. They have only been about money which is why they jumped at every chance to put their faces on any product in the world.

And Metallica? Are you fucking serious? James Hetfield could run circles around any other frontman of any metal band. Kirk Hammett is an AMAZING guitar player. He's no Dime, but he can kick the shit out of pretty much anyone else on guitar.

You liked Linkin Park until Hybrid Theory? You must not have liked them long considering that was their first album, dipshit.

I think sell out is such a stupid phrase.
Every band does it for the money

How many musicians would there be if maybe.....people didn't pay to go to shows
or if they didn't make money off of merchandise.

Everyone cares about money

If your making tons of money and can put your face on anything, then that just means your doing your job.

and KISS did not choose to do Dynasty and have a disco song on it. Casablanca at the time was a huge Disco label, as time changed and they wanted KISS to do a disco hit.
You have to do what your told. They may not have chose to do it, but off of every hit collection they have. I was made for loving you made it on every collection cause it was a hit. Just not a hit they really wanted.

I think sell out is such a stupid phrase.
Every band does it for the money

How many musicians would there be if maybe.....people didn't pay to go to shows
or if they didn't make money off of merchandise.

Everyone cares about money

If your making tons of money and can put your face on anything, then that just means your doing your job.

and KISS did not choose to do Dynasty and have a disco song on it. Casablanca at the time was a huge Disco label, as time changed and they wanted KISS to do a disco hit.
You have to do what your told. They may not have chose to do it, but off of every hit collection they have. I was made for loving you made it on every collection cause it was a hit. Just not a hit they really wanted.

OF COURSE NOT MAN! you don't know about independent labels/artists? have you heard of Radiohead's Rainbow? it was FREE! that's right: fucking F R E E ! did you think that at any point that was the label's wish? hell no! the video of Calle 13 "Calma Pueblo" is BANNED by who? of course!!by the label! it's a video that is only on youtube, well on the web.

IMO, read closely, IN MY OPINION being a sell out is when you do everything that the label wants you to! when you have love songs, with a lenght of 2 mins, you are "good looking" with that pathetic emo hair style.
why would you HAVE TO DO everything that your label wants! that's the fucking problem why in USA there aren't as many great festivals of metal/jazz! everything it's about money and no the art itself.

I respect you opinion but man I insist WHY WOULD YOU TAKE PART OF A BIZ THAT DOESN'T CARE ABOUT MAKING GREAT MUSIC ANYMORE BUT MAKING TONS OF MONEY?

Its funny to me when Legends who dont have to prove anything, or are revolutionists in their craft are considered over rated just because they're popular for....being revolutionists in their craft.But thats where debates are stemmed.

My debates for The Rev's choices:
Metallica: I will NEVER agree with this, Im 27, I was alive during the Hair metal,grunge and nu metal eras through the unique-less 2000's. I know and understand the importance of metallica by their influence on bands of now. Megadeth is considered the better band by some, but NO one said that pre black album, its a common quote due to the fact that most people find it cliche to like Metallica since they are so popular and they dont like being in the ''In'' crowd, which is lame, but whatever. Its choice. Are they over rated...No. Not at all. They're setlists and discography speak for themselves. Very rarely are they low rated or not regarded as amazing albums. (Load, Reload,St anger notwithstanding) And they are considered the most influential band to have debuted in 30 years,Bar none, THAT can NOT be debated.

But to say they're over rated is an opinion, That is all. But millions will disagree, and many MANY bands IN the industry would scoff at the notion of Metallica being over rated.

AC/DC: Agreed to an extent only due to the fact that Im not a big fan beyond their big hits. Are they repetitive, yes, but to their fans they dont care if they are. Which doesnt make them over rated as much as it does make them an acquired taste.

Ozzy: I laugh at this, The man was in Sabbath, which is the influence of ALL metal/Hard rock bands SINCE they debuted. This is just funny, and a waste to even debate. The man even gave light to Randy Rhodes and Zakk wylde. Two of our greatest guitarists of all time. Like I said...This is funny to think about being the slightest bit true.

Elvis: Wow. This is so far back in time that the term over rated may not even fit. He is such a innovator, whether blacks did his schtick before him or not. HE made it, HE was marketable at that time, Blacks werent. Sorry to say it, and sorry that its fact. You do realize ALOT of singers and bands back then ripped off black entertainers that were not marketable due to their skin? Its the fact of history, not of over rating. I dont like Elvis, but you HAVE to respect his impact and importance, Not saying he's over rated just because he is popular.

Kiss I like a good amount of their songs. I was NOT around during they're heyday, thus in my view makes it irrelevant to judge them on the rating standpoint. Black diamond is enough to show how great they are, disco songs or not. Thats not ALL they made. They marketed themselves in multiple ways from the very beginning. So why is it a shock that they made dance songs?

My choices for Over rated bands: (That I was ALIVE to see, so I feel it fair to be able to judge them)

Linkin Park: I am a fan, no doubt, but I will say that they are over rated in many ways, Youtube is littered with NOTHING but amv's with their music as if they are the greatest band of all time. They get credited for being innovative and such for the rock/Rap thing, Which Rage against the machine perfected and even THEY didnt create it. Linkin Parks riffs are just typical nu metal styled and arent very memorable. I bet most fans can't even name their guitarist or drummer. WHich shows how basic they are.

Avenged Sevenfold: A band that claimed recently that they want to be considered a great metal band not a great pop rock band. I suggest they rewrite ALL of their material if so. Do they, as a band make great music, yes, technically sounding even, yes. But having wild solos, and double bass drums are NOT enough to be considered metal. They are the Hot topic shopper band, and that's cool. But they're fans go out and say the dumbest things. ''They're the best band ever'' (To the mind of a teenager, yes) ''Rev was the best drummer ever'' (Yes, its sad he died by overdosing, which aint tragic since it could have been avoided, but to call him the best drummer ever, When Neil peart and Daney carey walk this earth, Is juvenile)

All pop groups and singers like Gaga, Kesha, Katy perry,Justin bieber all fall in the talentless marketing,pre manfactured ****es that they are, so they don't even count when speaking of over rated.

OF COURSE NOT MAN! you don't know about independent labels/artists? have you heard of Radiohead's Rainbow? it was FREE! that's right: fucking F R E E ! did you think that at any point that was the label's wish? hell no! the video of Calle 13 "Calma Pueblo" is BANNED by who? of course!!by the label! it's a video that is only on youtube, well on the web.

IMO, read closely, IN MY OPINION being a sell out is when you do everything that the label wants you to! when you have love songs, with a lenght of 2 mins, you are "good looking" with that pathetic emo hair style.
why would you HAVE TO DO everything that your label wants! that's the fucking problem why in USA there aren't as many great festivals of metal/jazz! everything it's about money and no the art itself.

I respect you opinion but man I insist WHY WOULD YOU TAKE PART OF A BIZ THAT DOESN'T CARE ABOUT MAKING GREAT MUSIC ANYMORE BUT MAKING TONS OF MONEY?

The whole point of any business is to make money.
And why would I want to listen to some independent artist?
I already have my luvs and that's all I need.
Kiss, motley crue, poison, ozzy, bowie, idol, ac/dc, and a7x are all I need for my world to go round

kissfan85 hit it on the head. business is about money. if a band didnt want money, then their record contracts would reflect that. i heard radiohead mentioned earlier, guess who gets paid tons of money.... radiohead. i will never understand how they even have fans, but they get paid.

music doesnt only have to be about changing the world, if i heard slayer singing about little orphans in africa, i would be pissed. how come no one cares that most tv shows arent about problems in the world? music is an artform, just the same as tv shows or movies are.

a lot of people listen to music as an escape, do you really think they want to be reminded constantly that the world is a shitty place? how would you feel if you wanted a fun night out and you go to a club and all they play is fucking 'give peace a chance'?

sometimes people just want to fucking relax and have fun.

kissfan85 hit it on the head. business is about money. if a band didnt want money, then their record contracts would reflect that. i heard radiohead mentioned earlier, guess who gets paid tons of money.... radiohead. i will never understand how they even have fans, but they get paid.

music doesnt only have to be about changing the world, if i heard slayer singing about little orphans in africa, i would be pissed. how come no one cares that most tv shows arent about problems in the world? music is an artform, just the same as tv shows or movies are.

a lot of people listen to music as an escape, do you really think they want to be reminded constantly that the world is a shitty place? how would you feel if you wanted a fun night out and you go to a club and all they play is fucking 'give peace a chance'?

sometimes people just want to fucking relax and have fun.

well I think I'm gonna change the name of the thread to "Capitalism in music". I've got a couple things to say, yeah of course that music is a business, but does that mean in order to make songs they have to be crappy songs? I mean Megadeth's "Washington is next!" is probably one of the best songs that they have. but "I was made for loving you" has made tons of money so that makes it better? I mean the title of the Kiss song said's it all.

I don't wanna to be a fucking teenager that has the pathetic emo hair style, writes lame love songs, makes fucking little girls (Jonas Brothers) but guess what? I make TONS OF MONEY! so what if I can change the world with that tons of money. so what if a fucking con titnent thats right CONTINENT is starving, I make tons of money! I! I! I! I! I! I! I! I! I! $!$!$!$!$!$!

of course you don't have to make songs like you were as stupid as miss can be by singing"I want peace in the world". hell no, but if you can why not? you have great points with Slayer, but c'mon a bunch of guys that plays music about blood, murderers? yeah they aren't exactly having a good point of view of the world..remember "World Painted Blood"? yeah that's not a escape, it's the opposite.

of course you want to have fun and relax, but does that mean making crappy love songs in order to have bunch of money? it's your opinion man, but dude not everything is about making loads of money. I want to be a musician but man, out there, out of the USA there are artists who gave their lives. look up the name Victor Jara...there is people that doesn't think that the ART revolves around money.

Unfortunatly it hurt a little seeing avenged sevenfold on here.
Now I'm not into the music of today...besides for Motley Crue's new stuff and Kiss's new album is OK but A7X is the only actual of today band I'll listen to.

But I'm not an emo teen and I'm not going to say there the best because I really really doubt they will ever be the best, especially now that they don't have the Rev anymore...I don't see them ever finding a better fit of a drummer then him. It's just as much chemistry as it is skill. He may not have been the best in the world, but he was the best fit for that band, so my days of liking new music are done now that he's not here...

Someone said Elvis? Oh my God How could you lol....

Elvis has such a broad range of styles he was influenced by.
He influenced so many many people.
He was into Blues, Gospel, Country just so many things he was into that he had a true appreciation for music...

Just on vocals alone I don't think you could ever consider him overrated.

Well no one has mentioned this band yet, and I may get a lot of hate for saying it, but most over rated band in my eyes is The Beatles.
They were iconic, and people went insane for them, but I just don't see their appeal. A lot of their lyrics sounded amateurish apart from a couple of exceptions, and they just sound so repetitively dull to me.
Obviously I am just basing my views on youtube videos because the band was before my time, but I think one of the things that set them apart from the other bands of that era, was they had charisma as individuals. And just like in wrestling, charisma takes you to that upper level, it sets you apart from the rest.

I am kind of torn on my own opinion now....I think they were a good band..but made average music, if that makes sense. Like their genius was in their minds, more than in their sound. I would rather hear them talk, than make music.

Omg I can't believe someone else said the Beatles cause I was hoping someone would.
I wasn't going to be the first to say.
I like a lot of there more famous songs but overall I don't get excited and full of joy over listening to the Beatles....

Now Gene Simmons grew up wanting to be like the Beatles so thank god the Beatles existed cause they were a heavy influence on Gene Being a musician....but

I still don't like them very much

I actually Like the Monkee's more then the Beatles....at least they were entertaining

Uh, I understand what he wasy saying, I am have never once touched drugs, nor alcohol or tobacco.

You can have your own opinions on your music, but what you really don't seem to understand is that Cobain was the voice of a generation. Hell, I was born five months after he died and I understand that.

You call his song-writing bad, I call it genius. It's something not everyone truly gets, but the meaning was there and there is not a single thing about it that I can really consider other than genius. There is a relevant meaning to nearly every song he wrote, I truly believe.

His singing wasn't the greatest, but his voice is unique to me. And he could convey so much emotion through his voice. His live stuff was hit and miss for me sometimes, but that happens with alot of artists. I fully believe he had a better voice then what most people actually think.

I'll give you his guitar work. Cantrell from Alice in Chains could tear Cobain up any day of the week.

I don't get how you find his work lazy. Listen to the chorus in Smells Like Teen Spirit and Litium among others, and then try to spend the time of day coming up with lyrics that were as deep in meaning, even if its deep in meaning just to you, that were as catchy or as popular as Cobain's, and tell me again he was lazy.

I'll let you believe what you want with your musical opinions, but I have trouble believing Kurt Cobain is anywhere near overated.

Unfortunatly it hurt a little seeing avenged sevenfold on here.
Now I'm not into the music of today...besides for Motley Crue's new stuff and Kiss's new album is OK but A7X is the only actual of today band I'll listen to.

But I'm not an emo teen and I'm not going to say there the best because I really really doubt they will ever be the best, especially now that they don't have the Rev anymore...I don't see them ever finding a better fit of a drummer then him. It's just as much chemistry as it is skill. He may not have been the best in the world, but he was the best fit for that band, so my days of liking new music are done now that he's not here...QUOTE]

Have you heard the new album?? Its fucking epic. Its not his drumming abilities that will be missed, its his writing abilities. He wrote 9 of the 11 songs on the new album before he died. He wrote 7 on the self titled and 8 on City of Evil. He is the heart and soul of the band writing wise. The best fit for their new drummer is Matt Barry. If youve ever watched A7X All Excess then you know Matt is the Drum Tech, and has been since the start. If anyone knows how to play drums like Jimmy, its Matt.

As for you twizted essex, how can you put them on the overrated list? How can you say they are a pop rock band. Pop rock is Hinder, 3 Doors Down, Boys Like Girls, Nickleback, etc...Just because their shirts are sold at Hot Topic dosnt make them an emo band. They were voted the number 2 badn of the decade for a reason. As for Jimmy being the best, how can anyone say anyone is the best. Most metal drummers blast beat like a mother fucker, thats it. At least the Rev actually has some technical musicality to his drumming style, which is the exact same as Mike Portnoy of Dream Theatre. And he may have overdosed, but I believe it was suicide. Go listen to the song Fiction off the new album. The last song he wrote, 3 days before his passing, itll change your mind on how he died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back