Original v. Cover: Last Kiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
How haunting this song is. I am actually not allowed to play it before car rides, because it makes Robyn furious. I think she is scared of car rides. Anyways, if the imagery of the song is so good, it must be good. Now the version I am discussing current is actually the cover by Pearl Jam. It was the first version I had ever heard of the song, and I must say, Eddie did a fantastic job, and I can honestly say, that even after hearing the original, it has nothing on the cover.

[YOUTUBE]J_sEtNrYlC4[/YOUTUBE]

Now one day I was busily singing the song to myself, and so did Robyn's dad. Surprised me, but of course he was familiar with the Wayne Cochran original.

[YOUTUBE]ebAjGHqa7Ig[/YOUTUBE]

For me, it's PJ's version, all the way. Like you pointed out, TM, it's all about the imagery. And, Ed pulls that shit off like nobodies business. You hear the lyrics, and his inflection, and you can see a young couple out for a drive, when something goes awry.

Listening to Cochrans' version, yeah, you can get he's sad. But, it's not the same, for some reason. I don't know whether he just doesn't show the same emotions, or what it is.

Maybe, it's because Eddie sings it from a standpoint of the girls boyfriend, whereas Cochran wrote the song from an outside witnesses p.o.v. I don't know.

Anyway, my fav of the two is definately Pearl Jam.

One of the greatest love songs ever written as far as I'm concerned. It's the kind of song that just immediately paints a vivid picture for you, one that is tragic, and one that you can't help but engorge yourself in. Pearl Jam's cover was HUUUUUGE when it came out, I remember all we could hear on the radio that summer was that song, like non-stop. Very, very good cover.

But I prefer the original. Well, not technically the original by Cochran, but one of the first covers of the song, by Frank Wilson & the Cavaliers. They gave the song that midnight Susie Q kind of feeling you know? Like a time capsule into prom night in the 50s or something. Wonderful song, but this has to be my favorite version.

I have to admit I had never heard the Cochran version until now, but I had heard Wilson's version a bazillion times probably. I was shocked when I first heard Vedder's angst-ridden version. I am a huge fan of Pearl Jam, but even being objective about it, Vedder's version makes me profoundly sad, whereas the other versions make me want to do the Carlton-dance (From Fresh Prince). Eddie Vedder sings it the way I think it should be sung.

Eh, I guess I gotta go with Pearl Jam but I seriously don't understand the appeal of that song. I LOVE Pearl Jam but I consider Last Kiss one of their lamest tracks ever. Not just because it's a ballad, PJ's done some great ballads (Black, Release, Nothingman, Light Years, etc...) but Last Kiss is just...yuck.

I will admit to not even knowing that Pearl Jams Last Kiss was not an original song. After hearing the original I feel much shame that I did not know about it earlier.

However to me Pearl Jams version is superior. Its just so haunting and the imagery that is given to the listener by Eddie is amazing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back